Certified Legendary Thread Race for the flag, in squiggly lines

Remove this Banner Ad

BUMP, Hate not seeing the squiggle on the front page.

Tips for round 15:

Geelong.png
Geelong 84 - 79 Essendon
Essendon.png

Hawthorn.png
Hawthorn 128 - 78 Gold Coast
Gold%20Coast.png

St%20Kilda.png
St Kilda 61 - 99 Richmond
Richmond.png

Fremantle.png
Fremantle 89 - 59 West Coast
West%20Coast.png

Brisbane%20Lions.png
Brisbane Lions 65 - 107 North Melbourne
North%20Melbourne.png

Sydney.png
Sydney 124 - 58 Greater Western Sydney
Greater%20Western%20Sydney.png

Western%20Bulldogs.png
Western Bulldogs 83 - 76 Melbourne
Melbourne.png

Adelaide.png
Adelaide 81 - 100 Port Adelaide
Port%20Adelaide.png

Collingwood.png
Collingwood 102 - 74 Carlton
Carlton.png

Apologies for my ignorance as I only just stumbled upon this thread, but are these predictions (with the anticipated scores) somehow gathered from the squiggle, or did you devise them with the squiggle as your guide? Either way, impressive accuracy apart from the two anomalies this week :rolleyes:

Apologies for my ignorance as I only just stumbled upon this thread, but are these predictions (with the anticipated scores) somehow gathered from the squiggle, or did you devise them with the squiggle as your guide? Either way, impressive accuracy apart from the two anomalies this week :rolleyes:
The formula for calculating the tips is detailed in the explanation at the bottom of the page.

It is Predicted score = 85 x (teamoffensivescore/oppositiondefensivescore) +/- home ground advantage (6 points)

To explain the last bit - if you are calculating the home team add 6, if the away team, subtract 6. This only applies to teams travelling interstate. So for say Collingwood vs Carlton at the MCG, the last part would be removed because there is no home ground advantage.

Round 15, 2014

pYNDiua.png

Interactive squiggle!

Priority Picks: Winners and Losers

This week I thought I'd have a look at the other end of the ladder. Since the draft was revamped in 1997, there have been 18 start-of-first-round Priority Draft picks awarded. (I think. Sources differ. But I think this is right.)

Here is where each Priority Pick recipient sat when they received their bounty. I've also added red crosses for teams that finished very low but didn't get a PP, at least not a pre-round-1 one.

Pre-Round 1 Priority Picks 1997-2013
PjeLkze.png

I was surprised by how many red crosses Melbourne have: five out of 13 here, or 5/10 if you exclude the expansion teams. Popular perception is that the Demons have had a lot of priority picks. And while it's true that only Carlton has received more, the Demons have occupied disaster zone territory far more often than anyone else.
Interesting that the pattern of losing teams being very bad offensively is only a new thing. It's a given that they'd be subpar defensively (almost all below 50 in defence). But only a handful pre-2011 had very bad offence.

Obviously this is an effect of the expansion sides, but it's difficult to explain why.

Interesting that the pattern of losing teams being very bad offensively is only a new thing. It's a given that they'd be subpar defensively (almost all below 50 in defence). But only a handful pre-2011 had very bad offence.

Obviously this is an effect of the expansion sides, but it's difficult to explain why.

Perhaps a result of most teams being more focused on defence than they used to be so they keep the worst teams to lower scores?

The formula for calculating the tips is detailed in the explanation at the bottom of the page.

It is Predicted score = 85 x (teamoffensivescore/oppositiondefensivescore) +/- home ground advantage (6 points)

To explain the last bit - if you are calculating the home team add 6, if the away team, subtract 6. This only applies to teams travelling interstate. So for say Collingwood vs Carlton at the MCG, the last part would be removed because there is no home ground advantage.
Thanks mate, appreciate it

ROUND 16 TIPS

North%20Melbourne.png
North Melbourne 81 - 98 Hawthorn
Hawthorn.png

Richmond.png
Richmond 102 - 59 Brisbane Lions
Brisbane%20Lions.png

Greater%20Western%20Sydney.png
Greater Western Sydney 79 - 108 Adelaide
Adelaide.png

Gold%20Coast.png
Gold Coast 84 - 88 Collingwood
Collingwood.png

Port%20Adelaide.png
Port Adelaide 103 - 69 Essendon
Essendon.png

Melbourne.png
Melbourne 52 - 86 Fremantle
Fremantle.png

Carlton.png
Carlton 105 - 76 St Kilda
St%20Kilda.png

West%20Coast.png
West Coast 71 - 89 Sydney
Sydney.png

Geelong.png
Geelong 121 - 67 Western Bulldogs
Western%20Bulldogs.png

I think GCS will get the win and I'm confident that the Swans will thump WCE.

Just noticed that the squiggle is predicting

Port Adelaide 83 - 82 Sydney

in round 20. That would be a cracking game! I can't wait.

Just noticed that the squiggle is predicting

Port Adelaide 83 - 82 Sydney

in round 20. That would be a cracking game! I can't wait.
Are Port showing the effects of a long season? I think they have dropped away slightly and will lose a few games in the run home. They will likely finish 4th (which is actually where the squiggle predicts they finish as well). Wouldn't be surprised if Sydney get up by a few goals.

I don't think they have necessarily dropped off. The consensus has generally been that they caught a few teams at a good time, plus also have the tendency to only beat teams in the last quarter.

They might have recently lost to a few good sides in close-ish games, but no reason to expect a late season collapse. They just don't dominate the field, they aren't the ruthless minor premier runaway type, so they will lose the odd game.

oBDAOuN.png

Round 20 is going to be epic! 4 Games predicted to be decided by less than 1 goal and another 3 expected to be decent games. Only the North and Hawks games look to be blowouts.

4 matches by less than a goal? Try 5 matches by less than a goal - 4 of them by 1 point!!

Port vs Sydney and Geelong vs Freo would have to be one of the best Saturday night doubles in a long, long time! Unfortunate that they're being played at the same time...

4 matches by less than a goal? Try 5 matches by less than a goal - 4 of them by 1 point!!

Port vs Sydney and Geelong vs Freo would have to be one of the best Saturday night doubles in a long, long time! Unfortunate that they're being played at the same time...
Ah I initially had 5 then checked it and must have checked it wrong.

Imagine if the Hawks were scheduled to play North and Melbourne were scheduled to play GWS in round 20, it would have been the perfect round of footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty interesting that the Swans are right near their 2012 premiership winning side (and they were even closer a couple of weeks ago); the Hawks are on their 2013 squiggle and Freo is on the squiggle of the 'ugly duckling' Swans of 2005

Reality adapts to the squiggle. The squiggle rules all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread Race for the flag, in squiggly lines

Remove this Banner Ad

Back