Rank the best future midfields

Remove this Banner Ad

Under 25
Cotchin, Martin, Vlastuin, Ellis, Conca, Lennon, Miles

Rank in order of top 10 the best midfields in a few years.

I tried to exclude anyone over 29 years old as they will not be as relevant in 2-4 years.

Adelaide:
(dangerfield, vince, wright, mackay, douglas, crouch)
Brisbane:
(rich, beams, golby, hanley, moloney, redden, rockliff, zorko)
Carlton:
(gibbs, joseph, mclean, menzel, murphy, robinson)
Collingwood:
(d.thomas, pendlebury, sidebottom, beams, mccaffer, dwyer, martin, seedsman)
Essendon:
(hocking, watson, stanton, dempsey, goddard, howlett, melksham, heppell, winderlich, zaharakis)
Fremantle:
(fyfe, mundy, barlow, crozier, hill, pearce, mzungu)
Geelong:
(Selwood, Caddy, Christensen, Menzel, Motlop, Stringer)
Gold Coast:
(Harbrow, G.Ablett, O'Meara, Prestia, Bennell, Broughton, Hunt, Swallow)
GWS:
(Treloar, Adams, Bugg, Buntine, Coniglio, Greene, Kennedy, Scully, Sheil, Whitfield, Sumner, Ward)
Hawthorn:
(Bruest, Hill , Lewis, Savage, Shiels, Puopolo, Smith)
Melbourne:
(Toumpas, Trengrove, Viney, M.Jones, Blease, N.Jones, Evans, Magner, Sylvia)
North Melbourne:
(Swallow, Ziebell, Mullett, Anthony, Bastinac, Cunnington, Gibson)
Port Adelaide:
(Boak, Hartlett, Wingard, Wines, Broadbent, Brad Ebert, Gray, Moore, Monfries)
Richmond:
(Cotchin, Deledio, Martin, Vlastuin, Ellis, Grigg, Foley, Houli)
St Kilda:
(Armitage, Ray, Ross, Stanley, Steven, Saunders)
Sydney:
(Bird, Hanneberry, Jack, Mitchell, Jetta, Kennedy, Lamb, Mcglynn, Rampe)
West Coast:
(Selwood, Masten, Shuey, Gaff, Dalziell, Hill, Priddis, Rosa, Wellingham)
Western Bulldogs:
(Griffin, Macrae, Liberatore, Cooney, Picken, Smith, Stevens)

Personally:

1) GWS
2) GC
3) Sydney
4) Richmond
5) Port Adelaide
6) Essendon
7) Collingwood
8) Fremantle
9) West Coast
10) North Melbourne
You are kidding me?

WCE at 9th

I rank my team as a clear last, led by the biggest spud to have played in our midfield, Matt Ploddus the Garden Gnome Butcher.

Under 25
Cotchin, Martin, Vlastuin, Ellis, Conca, Lennon, Miles
no way un hell.
cotchin gets to many cheap ineffective disposals.
martin-is mainly a 1 way runner
vlastuin,ellis,conca- except vlastuin the other two are very inconsistent
lennon-played against this bloke in yr 12 and he has a laser boot. if developed properly he can potentially have the best kick in the comp.
miles-has got a lot to improve.

You are kidding me?

WCE at 9th

I rank my team as a clear last, led by the biggest spud to have played in our midfield, Matt Ploddus the Garden Gnome Butcher.
In fairness it was created a year ago.

After watching GCS last week, put GCS @#1 and the rest just don't matter.

They are already taking top teams down and will continue to do so. Get used to 40+ from Ablett, Bennell, Swallow, Martin, Prestia, Omeara….

That is just sick…

Go Catters

no way un hell.
cotchin gets to many cheap ineffective disposals.
martin-is mainly a 1 way runner
vlastuin,ellis,conca- except vlastuin the other two are very inconsistent
lennon-played against this bloke in yr 12 and he has a laser boot. if developed properly he can potentially have the best kick in the comp.
miles-has got a lot to improve.

Ellis inconsistent? Somebody doesn't watch football

Yes now
N.Jones, B.Vince, D.Tyson, J.Viney, M.Jones, J.Grimes, J.Trengove, C.Salam, J.Toumpas and D.Cross
Is starting to look pretty solid. Its a credit to Melbourne and Roosy

Drop out Cross, next year he'll move more into a coaching role and I have my doubts over Toumpas unfortunately.

Add in JKH & Riley.

We still need a couple more quick and skilled runners though, but it is a good start

Edit: Grimes is a defender, not convinced he'll ever make a mid

Last edited:
Do you still think Bennell is overrated? He could very well be the best of the lot.

You guys have four 'kids' who would be the best young mid in most other teams. O'Maera, Martin, Bennell & Presta. Add Swallow and it's freakishly filled with talent.

GWS were crazy to allow GCS to get both O'Maera and Martin, considering that the two clubs will be going head to head in a couple of years time.

You guys have four 'kids' who would be the best young mid in most other teams. O'Maera, Martin, Bennell & Presta. Add Swallow and it's freakishly filled with talent.

GWS were crazy to allow GCS to get both O'Maera and Martin, considering that the two clubs will be going head to head in a couple of years time.
Having great young players is one thing. Keeping the group together as they get older, could be a whole different thing.
I think we can all agree that Gold Coast has the talent pool covered for midfield depth ATM. The question is will all that talent be at the same club in three or four years time when it is their time to shine?

I can't believe the depth in the midfield these days. most clubs have a fab 4 which was once reserved for just the mighty lions.

You having a laugh? There is no midfield around like the fab four of the Lions. You must have short memory. There are midfields around with POTENTIAL to be like the fab four, but they are miles off it. Look at the list of achievements from the lions quartet, brownlows, all australians, premierships, mvps, norm smiths, everything, and lots of.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Parker, Hannebery, Lloyd, Perris, Mills, Heeney, Dunkley, Z.Jones, Hewett, Mitchell, Cunningham (all under 24) and JPK, K.Jack and Bird still have a few years left in their prime.

After watching GCS last week, put GCS @#1 and the rest just don't matter.

They are already taking top teams down and will continue to do so. Get used to 40+ from Ablett, Bennell, Swallow, Martin, Prestia, Omeara….

That is just sick…

Go Catters
Their midfield talent has been the best for a couple of years now. It's crazy. And we haven't seen Martin in the big time yet either (technically we have)

There's going to be huge discussion over who's better out of Bennell, Prestia, Swallow, O'Meara and Martin as they all likely reach elite status pretty quick. Pick 1, pick 2 and 2 mini draft picks who would've been pick 1's and then Prestia who's almost as good as all of them.

They all are going to be looking at 1 mil per season once they hit 25 as well, better hope the salary cap goes up.

They'll either stick together and all take a lot less cash or one will have to go. They'll have the 3 big boys up forward and probably a little 35 year old crumbing forward by the name of G Ablett. And class off half back in Kolodjashnij and McKenzie.

Their midfield talent has been the best for a couple of years now. It's crazy. And we haven't seen Martin in the big time yet either (technically we have)
Its just ridiculous, I'm super happy with the way our midfield is coming along for the future. Its obviously our strongest point, yet its still got nothing on GC, and their forwardline/backline obviously blows us out of the water too. How the **** do you compete with that?

There's going to be huge discussion over who's better out of Bennell, Prestia, Swallow, O'Meara and Martin as they all likely reach elite status pretty quick. Pick 1, pick 2 and 2 mini draft picks who would've been pick 1's and then Prestia who's almost as good as all of them.

They all are going to be looking at 1 mil per season once they hit 25 as well, better hope the salary cap goes up.

They'll either stick together and all take a lot less cash or one will have to go. They'll have the 3 big boys up forward and probably a little 35 year old crumbing forward by the name of G Ablett. And class off half back in Kolodjashnij and McKenzie.

Exaggeration. Mids just don't earn that coin. Ablett and Scully are the only millionaire mids, Ablett is obvious, and Scully came about due to a set of extraordinary circumstances. All the other top mids in the comp earn 800K maximum.

Its just ridiculous, I'm super happy with the way our midfield is coming along for the future. Its obviously our strongest point, yet its still got nothing on GC, and their forwardline/backline obviously blows us out of the water too. How the **** do you compete with that?
yeah man when they all hit their strides they could have half a dozen AA quality midfielders running around in the same team. 4 of them WA boys too :(

These posts are always inherently flawed. You can't be certain of the trading and delisting for each club at the end of the year. Not to mention new players come in from the draft - some clubs are lucky enough to find a gem from season 1 (Joel Selwood, Scott Pendulbury). You may have some idea who the players are the club will seek to build around going forward but it is less than certain.

So much depends on the quality of the development department of a club - some teams seem quite good at taking fairly unheralded players and turning them into something quite special - Lachie Neale or Zac Clarke seem to be moving in this direction. Hawthorn, Geelong, Collingwood and Sydney seem to be clubs that are effective at this. Of course even good development departments don't guarantee all players with some measure of potential make - ie Jesse Crichton

"Macrea,Liba,Griffen,Wallis,Hrovat,Bonts,Stringer" Best midfield would be us :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Rank the best future midfields

Remove this Banner Ad

Back