Preview Rd 10 2013: Brisbane Lions v Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As for Browny, the "if I'd meant to hit him it would have been a lot harder" type plea hasn't worked at the Tribunal since the days of Jack Dyer. Having said that, it was very similar to many incidents lately that have been deemed "insufficient force to constitute a strike". Jamieson should have got a week for what the soccer boys call simulation.

Karnezis to full forward to outwit their defenders and kick 5 ;)

No Brown could be a positive as the mids will need to kick to various targets in/around F50 instead of bombing it long.

Man on man for Q1 to keep us in the game / build confidence.

But, in the end, it'll be Pies by about 6 goals :footy:

I am fuming with what appears to be very poor preparation for Browny's appeal. Says a lot about our admins. Since the time they decided to appeal, they all sounded so sheepish, almost guilty while appealing.

I am looking at Vossy & Brown's comments. Compare that to any appeal made by say pies/essendon these days. big big difference.

I am fuming with what appears to be very poor preparation for Browny's appeal. Says a lot about our admins. Since the time they decided to appeal, they all sounded so sheepish, almost guilty while appealing.

I am looking at Vossy & Brown's comments. Compare that to any appeal made by say pies/essendon these days. big big difference.

Yeah, gotta say my eyebrows did rise when I heard Voss say "It's a risk but we are going to roll the dice" (paraphrasing).

Unwise.

Yeah, gotta say my eyebrows did rise when I heard Voss say "It's a risk but we are going to roll the dice" (paraphrasing).

Unwise.

Yes, he can be a tad too open when fronting the media. He must learn not to telegraph his punches so much. Take a page from Malthouse's book...treat the media with surliness and contempt :)

Was listening to Voss in the car...

"We are going to contest the charge on Browny," Voss said.
"We'll have a bit of a look and see whether we can limit the charge in some way. Until then, I guess it's a little bit of wait and see.
"It is a little bit (of a gamble), but we think it's worthwhile enough to have a look at and ask the question. It will certainly give us a bit of clarity if it's seen that way."

My first thought was clarity?..then, not terribly convincing Vossy... followed by, not sure how that will work??.. Then started to think maybe Brown has a bit of a niggle as it would be games either side of the bye, one has about a five hour air travel associated with it..

Yeah, I think if you're going to the tribunal you have to be very firm about it, let them know that it wasn't acceptable to you and so on. Browny's defense was a bit weak but you'd though he'd have gotten off with another look. Maybe he should have just asked about Jolly to put them on the back foot ;)

I guess this week gives us the real chance to see who the club sees as Brownys replacement... and to be honest as ugly as it could be, it will be good to see either Lisle or Cornellius stand up and OWN the position. Even when we are not Brown centric he dominates so much itll be an opportunity to for the younger guys to stand up.

I have a feelings Paps will make a return... it was interesting to hear talk on Melbourne Radio (gotta love streaming) about some criticism of a few of the Pies STARS - Pendles and Swan in particular (but they werent alone) about being one way runners and downhill skiers.

If we put an atheltic nimble team out there I have a feeling we might just run the Pies off their feet. Yes we wont match the skill... but it were determined and gutsy we might just wear them out. Every contest needs to be a fight, we need to chase and chase and run and run.

McGrath, Hanley, Green, Yeo, Zorko and heaven forbid Adcock (please stand up Jed!) will be telling I think. If they're on their games we have a chance I reckon.

I honestly cant wait to see the coaches teams nod to the future when they name the team :)

Who does Raines go to this week? Pendlebury and Swan are both very hard to tag.

Who does Raines go to this week? Pendlebury and Swan are both very hard to tag.
Pendles I reckon, their number 1 midfielder against our number 1 tagger. Would be good to see lester go head to head with swan

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we put an atheltic nimble team out there I have a feeling we might just run the Pies off their feet. Yes we wont match the skill... but it were determined and gutsy we might just wear them out. Every contest needs to be a fight, we need to chase and chase and run and run.

I kind of like this ultra speedy, long-running, ultra offensive lineup idea. We know the pies struggle with quick smaller players or hard-running types who can find the goals, and I feel if we try to replace all our outs with like-for-like and try and literally match it and go toe-to-toe with Collingwood across each position then we will get roundly thumped.

Our list at present is very thin, but we do have plenty of players that can hurt the scoreboard who are healthy and able to run out on the park (Karny, Paps, Acorn, Green and so on).

Add to that a couple big bodies to keep the Pies honest; Lester, Harwood, Crispy, Micheal, Clarke.

Let's just keep it all down one end and try and smash that scoreboard to pieces (at the expense of a thin backline).

The 'glass cannon' approach. Pies won't know what hit 'em! ;)

Pendles I reckon, their number 1 midfielder against our number 1 tagger. Would be good to see lester go head to head with swan

I agree. Pendlebury is their most influential player.

anyone really worried about this game? i don't mind us getting flogged considering our outs, but this is friday night footy, i seriously don't want us to get embarrassed. it might turn so many people off.

man this sucks

anyone really worried about this game? i don't mind us getting flogged considering our outs, but this is friday night footy, i seriously don't want us to get embarrassed. it might turn so many people off.

man this sucks
I'm excited, I reckon they have nothing to lose and will play their guts out... Collingwood are the only team that can lose something Friday night.
I'm hopeful that with our speed and desperation, coupled with collingwoods lack of hunger and expectations of a win that we can cause an upset!!

Go Brissy!!

I'm excited, I reckon they have nothing to lose and will play their guts out... Collingwood are the only team that can lose something Friday night.
I'm hopeful that with our speed and desperation, coupled with collingwoods lack of hunger and expectations of a win that we can cause an upset!!

Go Brissy!!

We do have a little to lose, remember, they are playing for michael voss's future, i hope we can cause an upset though, but i would settle for us to remain competitive during the game...

that includes no first quarter blow outs :p

I think the idea of lester to swan is a good move, pretty sure last year swan kicked 4 goals against us, Raines started on him and swan just took him to the foward 50 and towelled him up.

I am not sold on raines to pendles though, I havent got a real idea who else at the moment, Raines as also been getting those outsideish type mids lately. BUT the swans showed last week, shut him down (harder said then done ) and it gives you a huge chance.

We do have a little to lose, remember, they are playing for michael voss's future, i hope we can cause an upset though, but i would settle for us to remain competitive during the game...

that includes no first quarter blow outs :p
Yeah I was more referring to expectations, I really hope that Vossys career is not on the line over the next 2 games... But if they push the pies like we did the blues then that would certainly be favourable for vossy

I just saw that player of the round thingy on the lions website, and wow I knew bewick played a good game just didnt realise how good, lets hope he can back it up this week, with heath shaw expecetd back you think he would have a tough job of negatting shaws influence this week.

I think the idea of lester to swan is a good move, pretty sure last year swan kicked 4 goals against us, Raines started on him and swan just took him to the foward 50 and towelled him up.

I am not sold on raines to pendles though, I havent got a real idea who else at the moment, Raines as also been getting those outsideish type mids lately. BUT the swans showed last week, shut him down (harder said then done ) and it gives you a huge chance.

Swan up forward definitely does present a problem for us, and he's spent a lot of time there this year. I don't see any of our defenders being a particularly good match up against Swan and if he isolates himself one on one against Raines like he did last time he's going to be very dangerous. Raines had him covered everywhere else on the field so it's going to be a team effort down back to nullify Swan up forward. Our defense is once again going to have its work cut out for them. Let's hope Cloke has an off night.

As for Pendlebury I'd like to see Redden and Lester alternating against him throughout the night. Both fierce tacklers and dangerous enough in their own right to keep Pendles reasonably accountable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back