Autopsy Rd 17 Blues undersized and overwhelmed

Who played well for Carlton in Round 17?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Bit late on reply, yes weve had this debate a few times .

I think we agree on forward setup just the makeup is maybe where the differences are dont know .
Your philosophy seems to be correct me if im wrong just play 3 talls forward whatever the quality of the player because STRUCTURE .
My argument has never been dont play 3 talls at all but only if they are quality and/or contribute at ground level .
Unless you have players around immobile players such as Cas that are very good pressure forwards which we dont your giving up an advantage to your opposition through easy fwd 50 exit .

Add inadequte 2 way run of our midfield and its just piling pressure on the backline .
Teagues inability to mix up the makeup in trying to find a balance that will pressure the opposition more has been ordinary imo .
But that probably comes back to the breakneck pace game plan also .

There are way way less genuine 1 on 1 aerial contests as there was 20 years ago.
This has made mobility at ground level of your players more important .

We had no problems scoring v geelong despite giving Geelong the +1 in our forwardline despite our low inside 50 count through much of the game .
We where scoring on almost every entry for a good part of the game sadly they where points .

We see more talls in the goalkicking leaderboard and you know this because many more direct entries go to the quality talls than the the other forwards inside 50 .

But If you plonked Casboult at FF instead of Mckay with the same amount of entries do you think Cas is leading the Coleman?

Which is most likely one of the reasons players like Macreadie and Goddard in particular and BSOS where let go as they are just not adequate replacements when injuries occur to your first choice talls .
Trouble with this is it exposes the seconds to players having to play tall when its not their go .
Williamson comes to mind .

You simply cant achieve decent forward pressure with imo the farcical selections of both Murphy and Casboult in the sides forwardline together this year .

The selections of both Murphy and Casboult in the same forwardline then the continued playing of Cas has been Teagues biggest mistakes this year imo .
Along with the go fast at all cost mentality which you have highlighted on many occasions that he has only tweaked in the last few weeks .

It's never one thing, but for me, our biggest downfall has been the gameplan rather than said structures

Cas should never of been selected at the start of the year, OMac should of had that gig.

TDK being out, also forced us to play Pitto, who I see as purely break glass at this stage

Add to that, we were already thin in spine players.

Moving forward, I would like to see H at FF, a 2nd KPF/ruckman ( trade in a cheap option such as a Ballenden, Chol type and Charlie playing 3rd tall. TDK in the ruck

Watched this game again.

9 regulation shots were missed. Not difficult angles or distances. AFL average goal kicking is circa 50% including difficult shots, so you’d reckon 75% of regulation shots is a fair assumption. That’s a net of around 35 points… enough to win the game if we had kicked at AFL average standard.

So it wasn’t that we were dominated etc. As Weiters said “we beat ourselves”.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Rd 17 Blues undersized and overwhelmed

Back