Not open for further replies.
1720423052070.png

Will Eagles soar

Or Lions roar

Clash of greats

Optus Stadium awaits

West Coast:16th

Brisbane Lions: 7th

History: West Coast Rivalry By The Numbers (lions.com.au)

And who can forget the last time we met our champion legend Gunners kicking half a dozen majors: https://www.afl.com.au/news/965558/match-report-brisbane-lions-v-west-coast-eagles

From West Coast Perspective.

What can you say about The Eagles. For those not living in Western Australia it would be difficult to comprehend that The Eagles are really one player team. Ever since Harley Reid was drafted to the Eagles the west has endured Harley mania not seen since the Beatles visited Auzieland. Harley is everywhere. Stalking has become legal because Harley cannot fart without it being reported. Every move he makes The West Australian newspaper would be reporting it, back page, daily. It would not surprise if Harley had his personal “Groom of the Stool “appointed to him.

In fact, you bustard Easterners keep you grubby little hands away from our Harley with your multi-million dollar offers. You know if we lose Harley we will secede, close our borders, build a ****ing wall and have you Mexicans shot on sight if you try entering our glorious new country.

When Harley extends, Western Australia will appoint him King, declare us as a Monarchy, line up prospective lasses to ensure lineage is preserved and henceforth WA will be known as Harleynia.

1720422944909.png 1720422964356.png
1720422996134.png 1720423014029.png

Thanks to FreoGirl

Oh, other West Coast key players for this game: Well, I can list them, but they don’t really matter, suffice to say we gave them two champions of the game in Elliot Yeo and Witherden. Our discards generally give as some heartache, exhibit A: Keays on the weekend. So, expect Witho to kick a bag now that Starcevich is not available to man him up.

Brisbane Lions.

We have been rather inconsistent running hot and cold during games. Period of excellence that should have put other teams to the sword, followed by mediocrity, keeping teams in the game with poor goal kicking accuracy.

Yes, we are winning ugly and that is a good thing. At this stage accumulating points and keeping in touch with the leading pack. Unbelievably we are 4 points, a win away from top four.

Currently our defence is way too easy to score against. Fagan alluded to this in his pressers, and they are working on solutions. I would just like us to be comfortable at Optus this Sunday.

Obviously, we will be missing Starcevich, and a replacement will come from one of: Prior, Brain or a debut for Beeken. Other option may be to re-shaffle, such as moving Ah Che back and bringing in one of Tunstill, Robertson or Sharp.

A concern for me has been what appears the decline of Lester and the out of form McKenna. They are huge reason for us leaking goals like a siv. It is not entirely on the defence as well, as our midfield’s two way running, and defensive work also needs to step up. Lester is looking and playing like he is mentally exhausted and tired. The Eagles have Darling, Allen and Waterman. It’s a worry Lester going to any of them. Does he need a rest? However, our options now are limited, with Joyce the only tall option available. Oscar Allen has hit form; Waterman has been a revelation and Darling always a possibility of breaking out. West Coast will get the media slap this week and be fired up for one last salvage job for Simpson.

Goalkicking has been very inconsistent all season. We have lost winnable games because of our goal kicking inefficiencies. We have been able to survive the last few weeks but at some stage a better team will make us pay dearly.

Our midfield/forward connection also needs to improve. Too often we bomb it in to give us territory or hoping one of our talls will compete for a mark or bring it to ground. This is unsustainable especially come finals pressure games. So many burnt leads. This part of our game is all over the field.

Prediction and Expectations:

We are a contender and a top four side, so there should be no qualms about us winning comfortably. However, taking any opposition for granted is fraught with danger.

The defence is strongly dependant on Andrews who is in AA form. Payne has established himself as a critical cog and Zorko’s slotting into the distributor role has elevated his game to new highs. I expect our defence to capably deal with whatever comes their way, however a whole of team defence approach needs to be in operation to ensure no banana slip ups at Optus.

Our Midfield quartet of Neale, Dunkley, McCluggage, Berry is at the top of their game and should receive good service from BigO. Our midfield should get on top of the Eagles mids. However, others such as Rayner, Bailey, need to lift around them. Wash will take some time to reach peak levels, however this should be a game where he can build upon a positive return from his ACL.

Our forwards so far this year have been hit and miss. Periods where they looked unstoppable and periods where you wonder what is going on in their heads. The game against Adelaide our forwards reverted to playing selfishly and just about all had a go at goal or mark of the year, when a simpler team approach should have sent Adelaide packing home with 30 points plus defeat. To say that our forward’s connection with the offensive play is horrendous is a bit generous. After six years competing in finals and relatively unchanged and consistent line up to still be struggling with connection is unbelievable. If we are to maintain our run and go deep in finals this part of our game must be addressed and soon.

A win this week will set us up for a huge clash v Sydney.

In Conclusion I expect only one forced change.

Starcevich – Out

Prior – In

oh god seeing those covers makes me just want to demolish them.

edit: forgot to say, great preview! will be interesting if it is Prior like you said, or we try Brain again

Last edited:

Who is this Harley fella you be talkin' about ... does he own a motorbike?
Not sure bout a motorbike but if he wants one he''ll be given one.
Next thing you'll read, he has acquired a Hungry Jacks franchise or two. Wink, wink.

Not sure bout a motorbike but if he wants one he''ll be given one.
Next thing you'll read, he has acquired a Hungry Jacks franchise or two. Wink, wink.
What a canny investor he would be to do such a thing ... the dream is alive for any young man of the West!

oh god seeing those covers makes me just want to demolish them.

edit: forgot to say, great preview! will be interesting if it is Prior like you said, or we try Brain again
try living here and seeing that crap every day, although The West has turned on West Coast a little bit lately :)

2015-2018 Eagles won all the games including 3 at The Gabba.
2019-2023 Lions won all games, but all games were played at The Gabba.

The Lions last win at Optus was by 3 points over the Dockers in August 2023.
The Eagles have won 3 games this season all at Optus beating Tigers (39), Dockers (37) & Demons (35)
Losses at home Giants (65), Bombers (6), Saints (14), North (9) & Hawks (61).

If we are legitimate finals side, we just have to get the job done.
However, winning away is always harder and Perth is a little harder than most.

View attachment 2042759

Will Eagles soar

Or Lions roar

Clash of greats

Optus Stadium awaits

West Coast:16th

Brisbane Lions: 7th

History: West Coast Rivalry By The Numbers (lions.com.au)

And who can forget the last time we met our champion legend Gunners kicking half a dozen majors: https://www.afl.com.au/news/965558/match-report-brisbane-lions-v-west-coast-eagles

From West Coast Perspective.

What can you say about The Eagles. For those not living in Western Australia it would be difficult to comprehend that The Eagles are really one player team. Ever since Harley Reid was drafted to the Eagles the west has endured Harley mania not seen since the Beatles visited Auzieland. Harley is everywhere. Stalking has become legal because Harley cannot fart without it being reported. Every move he makes The West Australian newspaper would be reporting it, back page, daily. It would not surprise if Harley had his personal “Groom of the Stool “appointed to him.

In fact, you bustard Easterners keep you grubby little hands away from our Harley with your multi-million dollar offers. You know if we lose Harley we will secede, close our borders, build a ****ing wall and have you Mexicans shot on sight if you try entering our glorious new country.

When Harley extends, Western Australia will appoint him King, declare us as a Monarchy, line up prospective lasses to ensure lineage is preserved and henceforth WA will be known as Harleynia.

View attachment 2042751View attachment 2042753
View attachment 2042754View attachment 2042755

Thanks to FreoGirl

Oh, other West Coast key players for this game: Well, I can list them, but they don’t really matter, suffice to say we gave them two champions of the game in Elliot Yeo and Witherden. Our discards generally give as some heartache, exhibit A: Keays on the weekend. So, expect Witho to kick a bag now that Starcevich is not available to man him up.

Brisbane Lions.

We have been rather inconsistent running hot and cold during games. Period of excellence that should have put other teams to the sword, followed by mediocrity, keeping teams in the game with poor goal kicking accuracy.

Yes, we are winning ugly and that is a good thing. At this stage accumulating points and keeping in touch with the leading pack. Unbelievably we are 4 points, a win away from top four.

Currently our defence is way too easy to score against. Fagan alluded to this in his pressers, and they are working on solutions. I would just like us to be comfortable at Optus this Sunday.

Obviously, we will be missing Starcevich, and a replacement will come from one of: Prior, Brain or a debut for Beeken. Other option may be to re-shaffle, such as moving Ah Che back and bringing in one of Tunstill, Robertson or Sharp.

A concern for me has been what appears the decline of Lester and the out of form McKenna. They are huge reason for us leaking goals like a siv. It is not entirely on the defence as well, as our midfield’s two way running, and defensive work also needs to step up. Lester is looking and playing like he is mentally exhausted and tired. The Eagles have Darling, Allen and Waterman. It’s a worry Lester going to any of them. Does he need a rest? However, our options now are limited, with Joyce the only tall option available. Oscar Allen has hit form; Waterman has been a revelation and Darling always a possibility of breaking out. West Coast will get the media slap this week and be fired up for one last salvage job for Simpson.

Goalkicking has been very inconsistent all season. We have lost winnable games because of our goal kicking inefficiencies. We have been able to survive the last few weeks but at some stage a better team will make us pay dearly.

Our midfield/forward connection also needs to improve. Too often we bomb it in to give us territory or hoping one of our talls will compete for a mark or bring it to ground. This is unsustainable especially come finals pressure games. So many burnt leads. This part of our game is all over the field.

Prediction and Expectations:

We are a contender and a top four side, so there should be no qualms about us winning comfortably. However, taking any opposition for granted is fraught with danger.

The defence is strongly dependant on Andrews who is in AA form. Payne has established himself as a critical cog and Zorko’s slotting into the distributor role has elevated his game to new highs. I expect our defence to capably deal with whatever comes their way, however a whole of team defence approach needs to be in operation to ensure no banana slip ups at Optus.

Our Midfield quartet of Neale, Dunkley, McCluggage, Berry is at the top of their game and should receive good service from BigO. Our midfield should get on top of the Eagles mids. However, others such as Rayner, Bailey, need to lift around them. Wash will take some time to reach peak levels, however this should be a game where he can build upon a positive return from his ACL.

Our forwards so far this year have been hit and miss. Periods where they looked unstoppable and periods where you wonder what is going on in their heads. The game against Adelaide our forwards reverted to playing selfishly and just about all had a go at goal or mark of the year, when a simpler team approach should have sent Adelaide packing home with 30 points plus defeat. To say that our forward’s connection with the offensive play is horrendous is a bit generous. After six years competing in finals and relatively unchanged and consistent line up to still be struggling with connection is unbelievable. If we are to maintain our run and go deep in finals this part of our game must be addressed and soon.

A win this week will set us up for a huge clash v Sydney.

In Conclusion I expect only one forced change.

Starcevich – Out

Prior – In

Bless you sweet Prince.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brutal preview! I like.

History rarely repeats, but it often rhymes.

In 2005, coming off losing a Grand Final the previous year, we started the season poorly. 1 win and 4 losses became 3 wins and 7 losses. 14th on the ladder, written off by everyone, the dynasty was over.

Then, like a phoenix rising from the ashes, the sleeping Lions woke from this slumber, winning 5 on the trot to not only break into the top 8, but send shivers down spines around the competition. Suddenly, with 7 games still to play, we were just a game outside the top 4, with a strong percentage, arguably the form side of the competition.

With a head of steam up we travelled west to play the Eagles, gunning for 6 wins on the trot.

Sound familiar?

By quarter time we were 7 goals down.

We fought on gamely after that, but the early deficit proved too much, going down by 23 points.

After that, we found ourselves outside the 8, and even though winning 2 of our next 3 kept us in the hunt, despite still being 6th with 3 games to go, the illusion had been shattered. We were crushed in soul destroying fashion in the final 3 rounds by an average of 84 points, and a season in which we played some simply breathtaking football, ended without so much as even a whimper.

I've seen Sproj compare our season so far to 2001. I want to believe, but I'm just not quite there yet. In 2001, our smallest win in the streak was 21 points. It was utterly compelling and convincing. The 5 we have been able to string together so far have veered erratically between sublime and ridiculous, which has me questioning whether/how it can be sustained.

Sunday evening has the potential to provide sceptics like myself with that extra little bit of confidence, but until that happens, this season feels more like 2005 to me.

It's all set up for West Coast to sack their coach this week, presenting us with an ambush on Sunday, which we and other teams have struggled to overcome in the past.

Hopefully our guys are on high alert for any complacency between now and game day, both among the playing group and in the coaches box.

Brutal preview! I like.

History rarely repeats, but it often rhymes.

In 2005, coming off losing a Grand Final the previous year, we started the season poorly. 1 win and 4 losses became 3 wins and 7 losses. 14th on the ladder, written off by everyone, the dynasty was over.

Then, like a phoenix rising from the ashes, the sleeping Lions woke from this slumber, winning 5 on the trot to not only break into the top 8, but send shivers down spines around the competition. Suddenly, with 7 games still to play, we were just a game outside the top 4, with a strong percentage, arguably the form side of the competition.

With a head of steam up we travelled west to play the Eagles, gunning for 6 wins on the trot.

Sound familiar?

By quarter time we were 7 goals down.

We fought on gamely after that, but the early deficit proved too much, going down by 23 points.

After that, we found ourselves outside the 8, and even though winning 2 of our next 3 kept us in the hunt, despite still being 6th with 3 games to go, the illusion had been shattered. We were crushed in soul destroying fashion in the final 3 rounds by an average of 84 points, and a season in which we played some simply breathtaking football, ended without so much as even a whimper.

I've seen Sproj compare our season so far to 2001. I want to believe, but I'm just not quite there yet. In 2001, our smallest win in the streak was 21 points. It was utterly compelling and convincing. The 5 we have been able to string together so far have veered erratically between sublime and ridiculous, which has me questioning whether/how it can be sustained.

Sunday evening has the potential to provide sceptics like myself with that extra little bit of confidence, but until that happens, this season feels more like 2005 to me.

It's all set up for West Coast to sack their coach this week, presenting us with an ambush on Sunday, which we and other teams have struggled to overcome in the past.

Hopefully our guys are on high alert for any complacency between now and game day, both among the playing group and in the coaches box.
The 2005 Eagles were a much better team than the 2024 Eagles.

We are exactly the type of flakey side that a sacked coach team would relish a bounce back.
We need to turn up with resolve. Otherwise it's a long trip back to Brisbane on the red eye.

The lack of AI generated rubbish was disappointing, as was the general air of competence!
I think the club preview may have some AI involvement!
Ground by Ground

Brisbane, 2-2 against Fremantle at the new Perth Stadium but to play the Eagles there, have not often enjoyed the long flight to Perth, going 3-13 at Subiaco and 1-5 at the WACA. They never beat the Eagles at Carrara, with one draw and four losses in five meetings there, and its 12-13 at the Gabba, with the home side looking to square the ledger on Saturday.
Unless I've made a terrible mistake buying tickets for Optus on Sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back