Review Rd 19 Review - Freo Dont Lose Against Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Colyer was looking for someone to kick to. A lot of our overuse of handball and getting caught through the middle was a result of having nothing up the line to go to.
His two kicks coming through the wing was so bad it missed his target by 20m. God he was so poor in that last quarter. No urgency either to kick the ball then gets tackled by Rioli.

Richmond were going to throw everything at us and boy did they.
Short break and an away game was going to be tough. We knuckled down to our credit
Personally I thought apart from the forward half being held it was a great effort.
Our defence held their forward half and the mids broke even.
It was an old fashioned defensive scramble.
I was on the edge of my seat the whole game and Personally loved it.

Yeah I'm pretty ok with it today. Thought about how many big games Richmond have played in over the last 5 years or so, how many Friday night games, how many finals etc.

Our team by contrast is very young and inexperienced, particularly playing in that timeslot on the big stage.

I do wonder at what it must do to the circadian rhythms starting a game at what would be 8pm here and not finishing till basically 11pm at night. The football conditioning people, psychologists, dieticians etc must have made massive strides in recent years to get players performing at optimum at all times of day and in so many different environments from week to week - Tassie, Canberra, NT, Alice, QLD, Melbourne, Sydney, Perth.

In so many years past our team would have gone to water under the pressure the Tigers, the Vic media, the crowd brought to a big Friday game.
This group of mostly youngsters are made of solid stuff. Our backline particularly is exceptional.

Chapman is one of the most unique talents I've seen for a long time. His concentration, composure and competitive nature combined with a brilliant football brain is very special.

Young is elite and he's a baby still. He & Clark are one of the best rebounding combos in the league.

Cox is incredible, his composure under pressure, the way he backs himself to get through or past anyone is incredible to watch.

Pearce is the general, all the young players say so. And he is one of the best lock down players in the league. His kicking last night was fine except the one awful one.

Walker is another unique player. Yes he does crazy stuff but he is fearless and creates play others wouldn't dare attempt. I love him.

I thought Henry showed in his last couple of outings that he's going to be very good. Not necessarily prolific but you can't teach the class and vision he has.

Serong, Brayshaw, Brodie, Darcy is such a brilliant young core of mids. Johnson and Erasmus in the wings waiting.

Obviously the forward half is a different story. Not going into detail there but surely if ever there is a time to give Sturt a chance again in the big-time its now? He could literally be the difference in a final.

I do wonder at what it must do to the circadian rhythms starting a game at what would be 8pm here and not finishing till basically 11pm at night. The football conditioning people, psychologists, dieticians etc must have made massive strides in recent years to get players performing at optimum at all times of day and in so many different environments from week to week - Tassie, Canberra, NT, Alice, QLD, Melbourne, Sydney, Perth.

don't think thats how timezones work lol

Yeah I'm pretty ok with it today. Thought about how many big games Richmond have played in over the last 5 years or so, how many Friday night games, how many finals etc.

Our team by contrast is very young and inexperienced, particularly playing in that timeslot on the big stage.

In so many years past our team would have gone to water under the pressure the Tigers, the Vic media, the crowd brought to a big Friday game.
This group of mostly youngsters are made of solid stuff. Our backline particularly is exceptional.

Chapman is one of the most unique talents I've seen for a long time. His concentration, composure and competitive nature combined with a brilliant football brain is very special.

Young is elite and he's a baby still. He & Clark are one of the best rebounding combos in the league.

Cox is incredible, his composure under pressure, the way he backs himself to get through or past anyone is incredible to watch.

Pearce is the general, all the young players say so. And he is one of the best lock down players in the league. His kicking last night was fine except the one awful one.

Walker is another unique player. Yes he does crazy stuff but he is fearless and creates play others wouldn't dare attempt. I love him.

I thought Henry showed in his last couple of outings that he's going to be very good. Not necessarily prolific but you can't teach the class and vision he has.

Serong, Brayshaw, Brodie, Darcy is such a brilliant young core of mids. Johnson and Erasmus in the wings waiting.

Obviously the forward half is a different story. Not going into detail there but surely if ever there is a time to give Sturt a chance again in the big-time its now? He could literally be the difference in a final.
I think Pearce has a relapse every now and then with his ankle where it just folds underneath him for no reason. And it has caused a couple of kicks like the one we saw last night , If there is anybody with more inside info I would be keen to hear it . But that is my understanding from limited resources.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Speaking of Pearce, did anyone else nearly smash the tv when Pearce was blocked onto his ass by Cucumber when the ball was still about 20m away which ended up in a Bolton goal in the last?
Im extremely confident that if a back did that to a forward they’d pay a free kick every day of the week.

We have a number of players coming back from significant time off in Taberner, Chapman and Acres, and to a degree (whilst they weren't terrible) we are carrying them a bit. Having said that, I think it is the right strategy; because both are ramping up from the previous games, and we are better off with them come finals time. If Switowski becomes available I wonder if we similarly semi-carry him?

The forward line had a quiet night but a large number of the entries were also fairly atrocious. Not withstanding as Taylor said our ineffectiveness to stop the drop from the contest being waltzed out of forward line, I can't bet help think that Meek in the team would have added a bit, not in the least because it would have allowed Logue to continue to present as an option, rather than filling a backup ruck role. Meek's form in the WAFL of recent weeks has been really top notch, and he has been taking good athletic marks in the forward line, so I just think this makes sense.

Yeah I think we have more than a few carrying something.

Tabs can't get separation and looks like the back is still tight. Darcy lumbering more than usual. I would actually rest those two at least once over the next few weeks, Lobb/Pearce/Logue availability permitting. Chapman and Acres I think it's fine to work their way in given they're still very clearly contributing but the big boys are a bit of a different case I think. We have won with Meek and Treacy this year and i'm not sure Darcy and Tabs at 70% is better.

Hardwick thinks that draws should play on if the siren goes and next score wins.
Austin Powers Hope GIF by Pixel Bandits

Good summary.

Young team. Long Season. Demanding GPlan. Toll is showing. Our zip and zap (miss Switta) is well down to maintain the gplan. Hoping its just a 4-5 game ebb before our flow returns for last 2-3 games. But no magic cure just another pre-season till we are ready.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Rd 19 Review - Freo Dont Lose Against Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Back