Preview Rd 23 Coll v Freo - Prematch Discussion - DaVe 86's Preview post 103 - Teams post 151

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Rd 23 v Fremantle - Prematch Selection & Discussion

The Victorian media were bawling last year with Essendons injury list.

No where near what Freo is facing. That is as bad an injury list (for valued players on a teams list) as I have ever seen.

I don't think Dawes or Wellers will play. MM has alluded to them both, Heath Shaw and Maxwell playing some practice matches before returning to the AFL.

Dawes obviously only needs a solid blow to that knuckle and he's done for the year. Better to save him for another week or 2 and reduce the risk of further injury, then take that risk and get some match fitness.

I'm thinking he wont be back until the QF now, probably Wellingham too and of course Shaw.

Wood to play this week.

Revised:

Ins: Davis, Johnson, Wood, Krakouer
Outs: Buckley, McCarthy, Keefe, Young

I'm not sure wellingham will be back.. its going to be very hard for him to come back in at all now

Dawes obviously only needs a solid blow to that knuckle and he's done for the year. Better to save him for another week or 2 and reduce the risk of further injury, then take that risk and get some match fitness.

I'm thinking he wont be back until the QF now, probably Wellingham too and of course Shaw.

Way to late to bring them back, especially Dawes. Dawes needs to get in asap, or else theres no point in bringing in someone for a QF without form or game time. Risk the knuckle I say.

I'm not sure wellingham will be back.. its going to be very hard for him to come back in at all now

Wellingham will get back in as long as his groin is alright, I don't think match fitness is too much of an issue with him.

Dawes is the one i'm worried about, with so much time out of the game he isn't going to be anywhere near ready going into finals! He really needs to get out on the field this week.

the way i see it the pies have two options

1. rest cloke, didak, swan, pendlebury, obrien, jolly, thomas and krakouer... and win by only 100 points

2. play your best side and win by 500 points

the choice is yours :(

No where near what Freo is facing. That is as bad an injury list (for valued players on a teams list) as I have ever seen.

love us or hate us, victorian or western australian..nobody can deny it, there has never been an injury list like ours since the AFL began in 1987 (or whenever it officially became a national game).... all year we have copped it, and whilst i dont like the way harves has brought it up every weekend, there is merrit to the whinge, every week we lose 2-3 players, and it is never a Jay van berlo type, it is always a mundy/ballantyne/barlow/sandilands type.. still thats the game we play.. and nothing excuses lame weak as piss efforts like the last 3 weeks.

good luck this week guys, you wont need it, to be honest i enjoy watching quality sides play good footy, so i hope you dont get any injuries and absolutely smash west coast week 1 of the finals and get what you deserve which is another grand final visit/flag :thumbsu:

Way to late to bring them back, especially Dawes. Dawes needs to get in asap, or else theres no point in bringing in someone for a QF without form or game time. Risk the knuckle I say.

I suppose you have to weigh up our options.

Is a not fully match fit Dawes a better forward option then Keefe or Leroy forward/Wood as 2nd ruck? Dawes playing, even if not fully match fit, is far better to our structure then any other option. Structures are our key.

The risk of further injury is very high for a marking forward with defenders looking to punch the ball/his hand at most contests, especially during the Geelong game.

love us or hate us, victorian or western australian..nobody can deny it, there has never been an injury list like ours since the AFL began in 1987 (or whenever it officially became a national game).... all year we have copped it, and whilst i dont like the way harves has brought it up every weekend, there is merrit to the whinge, every week we lose 2-3 players, and it is never a Jay van berlo type, it is always a mundy/ballantyne/barlow/sandilands type.. still thats the game we play.. and nothing excuses lame weak as piss efforts like the last 3 weeks.

good luck this week guys, you wont need it, to be honest i enjoy watching quality sides play good footy, so i hope you dont get any injuries and absolutely smash west coast week 1 of the finals and get what you deserve which is another grand final visit/flag :thumbsu:

Cheers mate, despite the cruel hand your side has been dealt this year you've shown a lot of character. You really had no right to be still in contention for a finals berth with few weeks to go.
Can only bode well for the future.

On Dawes... my weekend has been one big blur but I'm fairly sure I heard someone from the Club say he will play.

Cheers mate, despite the cruel hand your side has been dealt this year you've shown a lot of character. You really had no right to be still in contention for a finals berth with few weeks to go.
Can only bode well for the future.

On Dawes... my weekend has been one big blur but I'm fairly sure I heard someone from the Club say he will play.

Would that be Pendles??

I'd say if Dawes doesn't play this week he wont play for the rest of the year

Seriously, what has your club done?

In the mid 1990's our president Alan Mcalistair made some racist comments, and an aboriginal elder "pointed the bone" at us, cursing us for several years until the curse was lifted, amazingly just before we got Mick Malthouse as coach, and Eddie McGuire as president.

Has anyone "pointed the bone" at Freo?:confused::p

It is a shame though, your fans seem to be the best of the interstate teams, really passionate, and fiercely loyal, plus they all seem to wear at least one thing Purple to the games, which makes it look great on TV.

I'd love to see Freo have a good run with injuries next year, they could even push for top 4 if everything goes right.

I recall Pendles saying he should be right to play v Freo, that's good enough for me.

Would that be Pendles??

I'd say if Dawes doesn't play this week he wont play for the rest of the year

Totally agree. Has to come in this week. If not he will be undone for the finals like pressure and will turn out to be a spud.

With Yarran and Pavlich out it is time to unleash Didak off my bench. If he scores 100 this week I'd be pretty happy.

Arghhh what do I care, Supercoach pfff, Its all about the Pies/Hawks GF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems we've blooded some youngsters as insurance. I would have tried as close to a best 22 as possible by now, but on ly time will tell if Mick is right or not

giving some young players a run has been a strength of the pies over the past few seasons. It seemed to start later than necessary - first or second place being assured way back when - and been more comprehensive - injuries - than desirable. I had this wild thought maybe bucks had something written into the contract insuring so many new bloods getting so many games. ridiculous thought but there you go.

either way pies still have no genuine replacement for dawes, so lets hope he's fit, as well as clokey through the finals

Fas earned himself a chance to stay in the finals team, buckley lost it for mine. sinclair worked hard, created genuine preassure, would be unlucky not to get another game.

I'd drop all first year players besides Fasolo because none of them will play finals.

I recall Pendles saying he should be right to play v Freo, that's good enough for me.

So did Cloke on MMM on Sunday. Still, I'm not sure the players really know!

In particular it could be dangerous to rest Reid. I don't think it's a coincidence that Bris kicked 6 or 7 right after he went off. Something for the Sack and Taz to ponder - how to fill Reid's role better when he's not there. may have become as important as Trav at the other end.

Just on this, I think a coincidence is precisely what it is. Brisbane scored heavy because our midfield and forwards went to sleep defensively allowing Brisbane to just waltz in. Not sure what Reid could have done about that.

I agree mdc, I don't think it made any real difference. Their midfield was waltzing in willy nilly with no pressure in that last quarter.

Our defenders seemed hell bent on NOT leaving their man twice, with Brisbane players streaming into goal 50 out

Put some pressure on and try cause an error! Don't save your precious "goals kicked against" stat

Our defenders seemed hell bent on NOT leaving their man twice, with Brisbane players streaming into goal 50 out

Put some pressure on and try cause an error! Don't save your precious "goals kicked against" stat

Yeah I hate it when that happens, Ted Richards has been highlighted for an effort he made in leaving Riewoldt in the goal square and attacking Schenider, and spoiling the ball which resulted in a Swans goal eventually.

I'd love to see our players, in a situation where it's 2 on 1 at least attack the ball carrier and make that team have one more possession before having a shot at goal, because with that one extra possession anything is possible.

But there's not a lot to be critical about at the moment, we are 19-1, and are clearly in cruise mode, waiting for the finals to start.

Seriously, what has your club done?

In the mid 1990's our president Alan Mcalistair made some racist comments, and an aboriginal elder "pointed the bone" at us, cursing us for several years until the curse was lifted, amazingly just before we got Mick Malthouse as coach, and Eddie McGuire as president.

Has anyone "pointed the bone" at Freo?:confused::p

It is a shame though, your fans seem to be the best of the interstate teams, really passionate, and fiercely loyal, plus they all seem to wear at least one thing Purple to the games, which makes it look great on TV.

I'd love to see Freo have a good run with injuries next year, they could even push for top 4 if everything goes right.

god i wish i knew what grave we steped on or which religion we desicrated. so frustrating. just seems like the moment we get a decent amount of talent the world order kicks back in to gear..... i would give anything to get your mastercoach to our club. and having a very savy, public figure in eddie has also helped you to now end.... im 27... i just want to see one premiership... is that too much to ask?

Yeah I hate it when that happens, Ted Richards has been highlighted for an effort he made in leaving Riewoldt in the goal square and attacking Schenider, and spoiling the ball which resulted in a Swans goal eventually.

I'd love to see our players, in a situation where it's 2 on 1 at least attack the ball carrier and make that team have one more possession before having a shot at goal, because with that one extra possession anything is possible.

But there's not a lot to be critical about at the moment, we are 19-1, and are clearly in cruise mode, waiting for the finals to start.

heh, wont be required this week, we could be the first team to have 0 forward entries for an entire match

I think you should just drop your defence, let em play VFL cos that way they will touch the footy, and bring in a bunch of forwards and midfielders.. :p

I think you should just drop your defence, let em play VFL cos that way they will touch the footy, and bring in a bunch of forwards and midfielders.. :p
Bad luck, we played our last VFL game on Saturday as we have the bye in the final round and we aren't going to make the finals.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back