Preview Rd 23 Coll v Freo - Prematch Discussion - DaVe 86's Preview post 103 - Teams post 151

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Rd 23 v Fremantle - Prematch Selection & Discussion

Yeah I'm aware of that. I was at that Adelaide game last year and it INFURIATED me. One of the most frustrating games I've been to.

I haven't watched the Brisbane game yet, still worries me too mcuh as to what I'm going to see. My dad says we were in cruise control for most of the game, so I guess I'll take his word for it.

Friday night's game should tell me a lot more about what the deal is I guess.

Yeah Ed, I think Scodog has summed it up beautifully.

The Adelaide game last year was dreadful to sit through, then the hawks beat us aswell.

It may be there's more frustration to sit through this year aswell, maybe Freo maybe Cats.

The first final v WCE ( most likely) will tell where we're at...last year we flicked the switch at that point, and bar a near fatal stumble in GF1, never looked back.

Hopefully the experience of not one, but two GF's last year, will give the boys invaluable and priceless experience come this finals series aswell.

Anyway, I've already got my coping strategy sorted out if we don't win this year.

I figure Bucks will be coach for a long time, and it will be far better in many ways, if he comes in off the back of a finals disappointment, than off back to back, where really he is on the proverbial hiding to nothing.

So it's all good Ed!! :)

Yeah I'm aware of that. I was at that Adelaide game last year and it INFURIATED me. One of the most frustrating games I've been to.

I haven't watched the Brisbane game yet, still worries me too mcuh as to what I'm going to see. My dad says we were in cruise control for most of the game, so I guess I'll take his word for it.

Friday night's game should tell me a lot more about what the deal is I guess.

I suggest if you do watch the replay pay particular attention to our tackling pressure in the last quarter, it was as non-existent as the last quarter of the Prelim last year! I'm sure MM would have disliked it, but the players were in self preservation mode all the way.

Also the only thing holding us back from a 6-8 goal win was some unlucky finishing in the 2nd and 3rd quarters where we had at least 4 near misses. I.e Swan and Cloke both missed in general play from one metre out on toughish angles, Sinclair having a snap touched on the line and Keefe hitting the post.

Two of those go through and we're up by 10 goals at 3/4 time....

R23 Match Preview: Fremantle v Collingwood

Now up on the collingwood website. A bit shorter this week

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/newsfeatures/news/newsarticle/tabid/5586/newsid/121788/default.aspx

Fremantle and Collingwood kick off Round 23 on Friday night at Patersons Stadium. Fremantle remain a mathematical chance to make the finals and a win will keep their slim hopes alive. Collingwood, on the other hand, will secure the minor premiership if it can beat the Dockers.

The Pies are in absolute cruise control at the moment. Last week’s win against Brisbane was less than convincing, but the Magpies barely moved out of second gear. In fact, it has been much that way for most of the last month. With the clash against Geelong next week, Collingwood will be very keen to ensure the game is a dead rubber.

Given the fact that West Coast has now pushed into the top four, the Magpies would most likely prefer to face the Eagles in the first week of finals at the MCG as opposed to having to play Carlton who always play well at this venue.

The Dockers on the other hand hit a major low last week with a 98 point thumping at the hands of fellow finals contenders North Melbourne. Fremantle was expected to push for the top four this year, however its season has been totally cruelled by injury. This week, the Fremantle injury list has seventeen names on it.

The season has totally unravelled for Mark Harvey and his team. Undoubtedly the Dockers will be more than happy to see the back of 2011 and turn the focus onto the pre-season. However, while the slim chance of September action remains, they have to continue to fight.

Unfortunately, with so many names on the injury list, and with a number of key Magpies returning, it is just about mission impossible for Fremantle this weekend. The Dockers looked devoid of all confidence last week and seemed to have given up hope.

At the Selection Table
Collingwood could bring back Leon Davis, Andrew Krakouer and Ben Johnson this round. Chris Dawes and Sharrod Wellingham both face fitness tests but are likely to be available. Mick Malthouse will be particularly keen to recall Dawes who probably requires a few games before finals to get his fitness base back up to scratch. He is a vital component to the Magpies team and adds so much structure to the side. Lachlan Keeffe has been admirable in his role, but Dawes will significantly bolster the forward line.

The problem for Malthouse is that the Collingwood VFL side has now played its last game for the year. That means a number of fringe players who are missing selection no longer have the opportunity to impress and the risk is that they will lose fitness. A number of players such as John McCarthy, Luke Rounds, Paul Seedsman and Cameron Wood are all pushing strongly for selection. In order to keep their fitness up, Collingwood is likely to hold a number of intra-club matches to ensure all players remain match-fit if required in the finals series.

With potentially five key players returning, finding the room is perhaps the hardest task Malthouse will face. Simon Buckley, Ben Sinclair, Lachlan Keeffe, Tom Young and John McCarthy are the ones fighting for their spots, and all have all being impressive when given opportunities. Ben Reid suffered a bad knock last week, but although he has declared himself fit to travel to Perth, he may be rested on the eve of finals.

The story is so different for Fremantle. With only 25 players to choose from this week, Harvey is in a situation where he doesn’t have the luxury of picking his strongest team. In fact, Fremantle may be forced to select players out of necessity. Kepler Bradley, Paul Duffield and Nick Lower may return to the side along with Jonathon Griffin and Peter Faulks.

However, the big names on the injury list are devastating. Matthew Pavlich and Hayden Ballantyne were added to the list last week, while David Mundy, Antoni Grover, Matthew De Boer, Anthony Morabito and Alex Silvagni are all suffering injuries as well. Aaron Sandilands is also far from 100% as well and is getting a game out of desperation.

Recent History
This is the first time these two sides have met in 2011. The last encounter was in Round 8 last year. It was a highly entertaining match with the Dockers putting up a real fight. However, Collingwood was far too strong and won by a comfortable six goals. Pendlebury polled the three Brownlow votes, Cloke two and Sandilands one.

A look at Fremantle
The Dockers will have to draw on the home crowd advantage and throw caution to the wind if they are to push Collingwood on Friday night. With so many major injuries in every position on the field, Fremantle has to take risks and treat the game as if it were a final. It is a last chance to take something from the season and regain some respect after a massive defeat last week.

Michael Barlow - One positive to come out of 2011 for Fremantle is the fact that Barlow has returned to the side after such a horrific injury last season. It hasn’t taken long for him to regain his touch either. He hasn’t had less than 25 disposals in the last five games. Although his leg hasn’t regained its full strength yet, and he is probably lacking a yard of pace, the good news is that it looks as if Barlow has made a full recovery. A strong pre-season will ensure he is in peak condition for 2012. He picked up 34 disposals when he faced Collingwood last, so expect a big game from him on the big Friday night stage.

Zachary Clarke - Another positive to come out of 2011 for the Dockers has been the emergence of Clarke as a quality backup to Sandilands. Clarke is only 21, but he has versatility and flair and is a very tough match-up for any opponent. He had a great game last week in a losing side, picking up 24 disposals, 12 marks, 13 hit outs and 5 tackles.

Tendai Mzungu - Mzungu had a terrific pre-season, and was seemingly set to break onto the AFL scene before he hurt his knee in a practice match, which resulted in him missing half the year. To his credit, he has fought back from injury and earned his spot in the side. In the last few weeks, he has played a tagging role on gun midfielders and still managed to win a lot of the ball himself. He needs to improve his foot skills and decision making at times, but he seems to be yet another quality mature aged recruit for Fremantle. I expect him to get the role on Pendlebury or Thomas this week.

A look at Collingwood
As I mentioned above, the Magpies have not moved out of second gear over the last month. They continue to do all that needs to be done to continue to win matches and have been playing with an undermanned squad. That said, it does seem the perfect time to send a message to the competition on the eve of finals. A convincing, no mercy victory against an undermanned Fremantle side will send this message.

Alan Didak - I wrote two weeks ago that Didak had returned just in time to regain match fitness and re-cement his spot in the side before finals. He showed some real promising signs last week, picking up 30 disposals (24 of which were kicks). It was his first full game since returning from injury and he looked to be back to full fitness. It was also his best game of the year on the stat sheet which will give him a lot of confidence. With two weeks to go before finals, Didak will be very keen to hit his best form. He could be a real x-factor for Collingwood.

Luke Ball - I think this has been one of Ball’s most consistent and best years in his career. His last month, in particular, has been terrific. Many players have been a bit flat, but Ball has been the real driving force at the bottom of every pack. He has also established himself as a leader in the team. At the end of the match against Brisbane last week, Ball called his teammates together after a lacklustre performance and no doubt provided a bit of motivation. He’ll be particularly important this round as he’ll have to rove off Aaron Sandilands a lot and mark Michael Barlow.

Alex Fasolo - Despite the fact that Fasolo has got a mention in a number of previews over the last month, I can’t help writing about Fasolo. He is this round’s NAB Rising Star, which is just reward for an amazing start to his career. Even with Didak back in the side, it is impossible to displace Fasolo from the side as he continues to have a big say on matches. Last week he kicked two goals from 19 disposals. However, it’s his work rate and intensity around the ball that makes him so valuable. He can’t afford a bad game with so many players trying to force their way into the side, so expect him to have a massive game on Friday night in front of a big audience.

The Wrap Up
I have no doubt that Fremantle will come out full of fire and endeavour after such a disappointing loss last week. Nevertheless, the Dockers simply do not have the personnel available to challenge Collingwood this week.

Collingwood also has a point to prove after a lacklustre effort last week. If it brings its A-game to Patersons Stadium on Friday night, the game could be over very quickly.

Collingwood by 50 points
By David Natoli
Aka DaVe86

Great news, really looking forward to seeing how Jack goes.

This would be about his third game for the year? and from memory he hasn't done a lot yet.

Not sure what contract he signed, think it was a for a couple of years, but either way, a big one wouldn't hurt him.

Love to see him kick five in a losing score, but Taz or Reid will likely have his measure.

The games I've seen him play, they don't exactly go looking for him which makes it pretty tough ( if that is the case)

Yep, will be his 3rd game this season and I think he signed a 3 year contract.

Our forward line is actually terrible, but I'm guessing he'll play down back so there'll be plenty of opportunities to touch it!

Jack hasn't been in ripping form in the twos either. Only played once in the last 4 or so weeks for a grand total of 3 possessions.

Yep, will be his 3rd game this season and I think he signed a 3 year contract.

Our forward line is actually terrible, but I'm guessing he'll play down back so there'll be plenty of opportunities to touch it!

Thanks for that leungtl. What's your take on how he's going.... and when he is forward, do they tend to look for him on leads, because the bits I've seen, it didn't look like they had great confidence in going to him?

Hope that's not right and a false impression I got, but that stuff can all leads to a bad downhill spiral in form and confidence.

If he plays in defence, he may go heaps better.

I know this will sound strange, but I'm worried about this game.

That Brisbane game has shaken my confidence in this sides ability to go back to back to the core.

that does sound strange ;), the only way you could possibly lose is if you gave us a 150 point head start... and even then you would be heavy favourites......

Re: R23 Match Preview: Fremantle v Collingwood

Always a great read....are you missing the 1 before the 50 though? 50 points is very flattering considering we are playing their reserves side and I expect close to a full strength squad to go over.

Thanks for that leungtl. What's your take on how he's going.... and when he is forward, do they tend to look for him on leads, because the bits I've seen, it didn't look like they had great confidence in going to him?

Hope that's not right and a false impression I got, but that stuff can all leads to a bad downhill spiral in form and confidence.

If he plays in defence, he may go heaps better.

It hasn't helped that the two games he's played (vs Eagles and Hawks) have been horrible blowouts where the delivery simply wasn't available for him (or the rest of the team!). After the Hawks game, the general impression on our board was that he should've stayed in to give him another shot against the Saints at Etihad (being from Victoria and all), but they dropped him anyway.

I thought they were developing him as a backman in the WAFL, but his stats suggest he's playing more as a forward. Wouldn't be surprised if they trialed him at the back this Friday though. We've got to chuck someone back there with McPharlin, right? :eek:
http://www.wafl.com.au/players/view/4058

Jack hasn't been in ripping form in the twos either. Only played once in the last 4 or so weeks for a grand total of 3 possessions.

He got injured; he's actually had injury troubles all season. He was miles behind in terms of fitness when he arrived at the club. He's had to work extra hard to get up to speed and all the extra work seems to have taken its toll. No different to Peter Faulks in that regard.

Probably just further proof that our players are being overworked/over-trained to be honest.

When JA's been given games he's more than earned them. Unfortunately for JA, in both games we were absolutely atrocious heading into the forward 50. Just atrocious.

A lot of things have worked against him this season, I think we'll get a better idea in 2012.

Always a great read....are you missing the 1 before the 50 though? 50 points is very flattering considering we are playing their reserves side and I expect close to a full strength squad to go over.

heh, the 50 point margin had us chuckling a little on our board as well :eek:...... probably could add another 100 on to that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

great read.

'The Pies are in absolute cruise control at the moment. Last week’s win against Brisbane was less than convincing, but the Magpies barely moved out of second gear. In fact, it has been much that way for most of the last month. With the clash against Geelong next week, Collingwood will be very keen to ensure the game is a dead rubber.'

Not sure I agree with the cruise control idea. Last year pies reeked of potential if they kicked straight, few noticed outside supporters. This year whilst dominating there has been consistent hints of problems in form (ie.jolly, harry, maxie), structure (forward line without dawes), attitude (lack of 4 quarter performances) not to mention 25% of the currrent team may not be there in four weeks. I think its a lack of team form rather than cruising

In any case I'd be surprised if mm was happy with the cruising. Reality is there should be another flag in the coffers this year if they are not caught napping. About time they woke up.

That is a painful memory - esp 03 which I watched live in New York. We were dogged by loss of important players in finals for years, and that year it was Jason Cloke (believe it or not).
The woods have now built up a lot of redundancy but right now there are still a couple of players that are almost irreplaceable, Trav, Jolly and maybe also Reid. If Dawes is OK then hopefully Anvil can go back to cover for Reid if nec against the gorillas like Buddy
I've always liked Freo and hope they can put the pieces together soon - always has been something missing, not sure what. I guess now it's injuries, so who knows how they might have gone this year looking at the great early form.
yeah, i certainly dont hate collingwood, i appreciate the fact that your mob plays a great brand of footy. that last quarter against the bombers was just unbelievable... i appreciate colllingwood the same way i appreciated brissy in their 3-peat years (sorry to bring that up ;)), and the same way the bombers were in 2000. we dont get the over-saturation of the big four vic teams in WA so i guess that probably helps... what we do get is non-stop self serving west coast puff pieces day in day out :mad:

i hate the eagles, i want to see them lose convincingly in every endeavour that they persue. i really hope you guys teach them a lesson week 1 of the finals, really embarrass them :thumbsu::)

Yeah Ed, I think Scodog has summed it up beautifully.

The Adelaide game last year was dreadful to sit through, then the hawks beat us aswell.

It may be there's more frustration to sit through this year aswell, maybe Freo maybe Cats.

The first final v WCE ( most likely) will tell where we're at...last year we flicked the switch at that point, and bar a near fatal stumble in GF1, never looked back.

Hopefully the experience of not one, but two GF's last year, will give the boys invaluable and priceless experience come this finals series aswell.

Anyway, I've already got my coping strategy sorted out if we don't win this year.

I figure Bucks will be coach for a long time, and it will be far better in many ways, if he comes in off the back of a finals disappointment, than off back to back, where really he is on the proverbial hiding to nothing.

So it's all good Ed!! :)

love ya plan. don't think it will matter really, bucks will be as hungry for success coaching as he was playing I suspect.

still ... this year is not last year. different problems to resolve, completely different mental challenge as favourites compared to somewhat underdogs. pies have played only a couple of 4 quarter games as i recall this year, whereas last year they played a heap but suffered from inaccuracy. they do not show the desire to dominate as great teams in the past have. a loss would be good for them

Re: Rd 23 Coll v Freo - Prematch Discussion - DaVe 86's Preview post 103

in addition to the expected changes, bringing in dawes, davis, krakeour & johnson, it wouldnt surprise me at all to see one more, seedsman.
simply considering the quality of opposition, and maybe MM's desire to blood him just once, i can see him being given a run. maybe just to help with his confidence, and signal to him he is not forgotten and motivate him for next year.
outs likely mccarthy, buckley, keefe, young, sinclair. young is a little unlucky, but he was never going to be a finals player this year.

just an opinion.

yehh that sounds about right, defenatly get all the players sign it :thumbsu:
lets hope im on the money with the time.... i hope they all will but heard leon davis will tell me where to go so im prepared for that haha

First time I've ever ventured onto the Collingwood board this

As much as I may dislike Collingwood (being from Victoria and all), I've the horrible feeling that Freo black humour is going to get Freo fans through Friday night.

As unconvincing as Collingwood were last week, I still firmly believe that they are odds on to win the flag cause they are that good.

Collingwood to win by 120 is my tip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back