Aug 13, 2004
Melb
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Cavs, Pens
was horrible both ways

but we were murdered in that final term

in our pocket, it was clearly holding the ball against the blues player as he droppped it CLEARLY, but then holding the ball was paid against lovett

any dropping of the ball wasnt paid at all, instead the player dropping it would get some soft free such as high, or push in the back, especially if this players name was JUDD...:p

but the worst umpiring decision of all time came at a crucial moment
soft free to carlton, play stops as umpires blows whistle, every1 stops, i mean every ****ing person - all 36 on the ground and everyone, ball trickles to judd, he actually looks towards the umpire for the 0.00000% chance it could be a ridiiculous play on and HE PAYYYYYYYYYS IT, he PAYS THE PLAY ON, when its the deadest ball of all time

while in the 3rd quarter, lucas gets afree, monfries roves and streams in for an easy goal, and gets called back

on the flip side, thornton into lloyd was a 50/50 call, i mean he touched the ball, but also knocked his head

but then after the double goal, should of been a triple, alwyn got head hunted...but that would of caused a huge uproar so umpires would never pay it

in summary, essendon got a few favours early...then carlton did, then that judd incident happened and i was in shock

also i cant understand how ddropping the balls arent payed "how did he dispose of it umpire" has never rung so true - both ways, its ridiculous

great win though - but carlton are a much better side still i think

Re: Terrible umpiring both ways...

in a 4 point game, the terrible free kick to Lloyd against Thornton and the double goal decided the result in essendons favour. Tight games are great for the fans but this one is ultimately disappointing when poor umpiring decisions decide the result of a game.

on the flip side, thornton into lloyd was a 50/50 call, i mean he touched the ball, but also knocked his head

Terrible decision IMO against a player going hard at the ball. Not in the spirit of the game. It, and the gimme directly after, hurt Carlton badly as their legs were already showing signs of wobble.

The Lloyd front-on free was dubious. Unfortunately it pretty much decided the match. 2nd free was there of course. Unlucky not to get a 3rd.

Win some, lose some.

in a 4 point game, the terrible free kick to Lloyd against Thornton and the double goal decided the result in essendons favour. Tight games are great for the fans but this one is ultimately disappointing when poor umpiring decisions decide the result of a game.

The umpiring didn't decide the game. Fev's disastrous goal kicking did though.

thought the game was very well umpired to be honest

anyone whinging about the double goal - imo should have been a triple goal - was just poor discipline

Knock it off, it's just going to encourage more and more diving by players. He looked like he belongs in the WWF with a fall like that.

BULLSHIT

The bump was fair, that wasn't the free-kick. The forehand in Lloyd's face/head was!

The Lloyd front-on free was dubious. Unfortunately it pretty much decided the match. 2nd free was there of course. Unlucky not to get a 3rd.

Win some, lose some.

Fev's kicking decided the match - 8 missed shots when he is normally quite an accurate kick. Had he nailed a few of those (over even just one) it would have been a different result.

Worse free for mine was kreuzer being pinged for holding the ball after he was kneed in the head.

The thornton free for front on contact was fairly dodgy as well. The second free agaisnt thornton was there though it could be argued that the second free wouldnt of occured had the first one not been called.

Blues will learn a lot from this match.

Worse free for mine was kreuzer being pinged for holding the ball after he was kneed in the head.
Yeh that pissed me right off. The umpire might have missed the contact to the head but what about Kreuzer just lying flat like a dead fish? And then the player who kneed him (Winderlich?) comes back for me by jumping all over his head.

No way in hell Kruezer should of been penalised. But these shit decisions aren't biased one offs. They happen to each side every game unfortunately...

Knock it off, it's just going to encourage more and more diving by players. He looked like he belongs in the WWF with a fall like that.

for 3 years they have said don't touch the face/head

thornton was selfish and pushed davey in the face - he took a dive no doubt - but the free kick was there - and has been for 3 years like it or not - and stupidly was right in front of the umpire

the fact that waite did it a minute later beggars belief

Perhaps you could tell Brett Thornton not to hit Alwyn Davey in the head. Might prevent those double goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeh that pissed me right off. The umpire might have missed the contact to the head but what about Kreuzer just lying flat like a dead fish? And then the player who kneed him (Winderlich?) comes back for me by jumping all over his head.

No way in hell Kruezer should of been penalised. But these shit decisions aren't biased one offs. They happen to each side every game unfortunately...

if he missed the head high contact - all the ump can see is a guy lying on the ball not trying to get rid of it

that is holding the ball every day of the week

it is unfortunate - but that's the way the cookie crumbles

the umps make mistakes, sometimes howlers - but i bet not as many as the 22 who take the field

I thought that mark that was payed to Lucas that was clearly a half-volley was pretty poor. Not sure what kind of view the umpire had of it, but watching it on TV in the pub, it was obviously not a mark, even before the 7502438927 replays that also made it clear that it was not a mark.

I thought that mark that was payed to Lucas that was clearly a half-volley was pretty poor. Not sure what kind of view the umpire had of it, but watching it on TV in the pub, it was obviously not a mark, even before the 7502438927 replays that also made it clear that it was not a mark.
I was standing behind the goals at the Punt Rd end and watching it live I said "that bounced". If I can see it from behind the players in the stands, how the hell can the umpire not?

Maybe the Thornton high to Lloyd was there, but that's disputable. But the 2nd free resulting in the 2nd goal, I thought on the radio they said that Davey ran up to Thornton, and Thornton pushed him, and he fell to the ground. Not much in it, but to be honest I didn't see it, just what I heard on the radio. Now I know the umpires don't decide games, but sometimes they just get tied up in the moment, and go crazy on their whistles.

Maybe the Thornton high to Lloyd was there, but that's disputable. But the 2nd free resulting in the 2nd goal, I thought on the radio they said that Davey ran up to Thornton, and Thornton pushed him, and he fell to the ground. Not much in it, but to be honest I didn't see it, just what I heard on the radio. Now I know the umpires don't decide games, but sometimes they just get tied up in the moment, and go crazy on their whistles.
Thornton got him in the face. Right in front of the umpire. It deserved to be a free for pure stupidity.

I was standing behind the goals at the Punt Rd end and watching it live I said "that bounced". If I can see it from behind the players in the stands, how the hell can the umpire not?

the same reason that i can tell if a batsman is out lbw sitting in the lillee marsh stadium at the waca and the square leg umpire can't

the angle the ump is looking at

if he was behind lucas' back - then it looked like a mark

fair suck of the sav - the umps make mistakes - and when they make shockers - they get dropped

the same reason that i can tell if a batsman is out lbw sitting in the lillee marsh stadium at the waca and the square leg umpire can't

the angle the ump is looking at

if he was behind lucas' back - then it looked like a mark

fair suck of the sav - the umps make mistakes - and when they make shockers - they get dropped
Where I was standing WAS behind Lucas's back :p

Agree with the OP about the worst decision. Judd's opponent (stanton?) was standing beside him when the free was given and he just let Judd trot over and pick up the ball.

When I was learning to play you always played to the whistle. Now they should teach the opposite.

Thornton got him in the face. Right in front of the umpire. It deserved to be a free for pure stupidity.
spot on, was a knock with the shoulder straight to the head and davey went down, he should of gone down on the elbow to head straight after that one, it looked worse.

didnt think the umps were too bad tonight, definitely didnt decide the game, seen a lot worse displays

Perhaps you could tell Brett Thornton not to hit Alwyn Davey in the head. Might prevent those double goals.

He paid the dive to Davey - nothing more, nothing less..it was his dramatic fall to the ground and the fact that he fell so quickly that decided it for the umpire.

"Hit Davey in the head" ppwllllease come to your senses.

There were so many poor umpiring decisions in this match it beggers belief.

Now I know the umpires don't decide games, but sometimes they just get tied up in the moment, and go crazy on their whistles.

Think again. Umpires can decide matches and this match was a perfect example of it. It wasn't just the Thornton moment - there were numerous dodgy 50 metre penalties. too many to count.

but the worst umpiring decision of all time came at a crucial moment
soft free to carlton, play stops as umpires blows whistle, every1 stops, i mean every ****ing person - all 36 on the ground and everyone, ball trickles to judd, he actually looks towards the umpire for the 0.00000% chance it could be a ridiiculous play on and HE PAYYYYYYYYYS IT, he PAYS THE PLAY ON, when its the deadest ball of all time

This statement shows you don't understand OR KNOW the rule related to advantage plays.

The ball didn't trickle to Judd, Judd continued playing and ran to the ball, which had stopped before he got there but the play was CONTINUOUS and the umpire correctly applied advantage in this case.

Advantage shall be paid to the team offended against provided PLAY IS CONTINUOUS. Doesn't matter if everyone but one player has stopped. As long as one player is making the play CONTINUOUS, then they shall be able to take advantage because we want to see the game moving, not stopping.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rd 3: Carlton v Essendon Umpiring discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back