Autopsy Rd 4 v Brisbane - Game Discussion and Changes for Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

On balance, I was one of the "drop Petterd" crew, but he was a consistent contributor last night. It may have been his best game for the club. I have no problem with him being in the side as at least he contributes. For him to stay, the microscope is back on Grigg. I can't see Grigg, Edwards, Petterd and Thomas in the same side any longer. EVERY team has development players in the side. It is fair to say Ellis, Vlas and Conca have found their spots in the side, and the kids are not getting a go. I'd like to see Madonna in next week and Lennon would be a bonus. The Hawks have not seen either of these two, and there will be the element of preparation for these two. To prepare for Grigg is easy - let him have the ball as he will turn it over, or stop forward momentum. I'd like to see some kids in the side instead of the now predictable lack of effort from Grigg and Edwards.

Not sure why Morris is being criticized. He does his job well without any fuss. He used to struggle when he didn't have a small forward to blanket for the entire game. I'm not sure who he played on last night, but I think he did ok. We have far bigger problems with the busload of passengers (see above).

Positive for the night was Jack returning to form, Dusty was ominous up forward (surprise surprise), Cotch not being manhandled and we currently sit in 9th position on the ladder.

How did you assess Hawthorn's win v Lions, when scores were level in Q3 before the Hawks kicked away to win by 48, at home?

Disgraceful?

The Lions have suffered a lot of injuries since their game against Hawthorn. They had 7 teenagers playing last night. It was half their reserves side playing against us.

Our game last night was no improvement on the previous 4 games, the only difference was that the opposition was weaker because they had so many players out.

If we play like we did last night against Hawthorn and Geelong we have no hope.

B: Morris Astbury Rance
HB: Houli Chaplin Petterd
C: Ellis Jackson Conca
HF: Martin Griffiths Deledio
F: Lloyd Riewoldt Gordon
R: Maric Cotchin Vlastuin
INT: Hampson Arnot Lennon McDonough

Looking at last nights team we're not that far off our best 22. Replace Newman Grimes Grigg S.Edwards & Thomas with Deledio Rance Maric Lennon & McDonough and we've got a solid foundation moving forward. Hardwick just needs to find the courage to make these changes once McDonough and Lennon have earned their way into the side. Hopefully another solid performance this week in the VFL will be enough to do that.

Sure, agree that we'll need to be much better v Hawks

As we needed to be much better than we were the week before we last played them. Pantsed by Sydney, flogged Hawthorn

There were signs. When we needed to respond, we did. As for whether they are sustainable, we will see

Of course it would be nice to have won by 20 goals, but would you be convinced if we had? We annihilated GWS last year too. And then still fluffed our lines v Blues.

Looking forward to Hawks and Cats beating the tripe out of each other on Monday.

was close to the worst game of football that i have seen live. was a very boring game really.

positives -
Jack - back to his best. no kicking to Vick.
Lloyd and Gordon - lloyd was 1 of the best in first half -gordon was in the second. both have leaped passed King imho
cotch - enough said
Jackson - back to form
astbury and griff - getting better and better every week
direct football - is our best football, and we need to stick with it. we look horrible when chipping

negatives
stoppages - not so much in the stoppage, but the set up of everyone else outside the stoppage. if we win it, we usually kick to a target <30% of the time. the rest is bomb to nothing. when we lose, opposition seem to fly away from the contests and have more 1 on 1s.
composure - we have very little in the forward line at points. that first quarter was way too rushed going in, and we butchered some easy chances. we settled in the end, but against better teams it would have cost us.
counter attack (including their kick ins) - we still do not get to a man quick enough and our vulnerability was exposed too easily at times last night.
marking/fumbling - so many times we have dropped easy marks and fumbled the ball this year, to the extent that it looks like we are playing with grease on our hands. it showed again last night (maybe getting some day games now will help)
switching play - i think the back line needs to be sat down and explained what the point of the switch is. they do not know this still.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How did you assess Hawthorn's win v Lions, when scores were level in Q3 before the Hawks kicked away to win by 48, at home?

Disgraceful?
The Brisbane side that pushed Hawthorn included Leuenberger Merrett Rich Hanley & Green and had 11 players under 50 games and 5 players with 150+ games. The team that pushed us for a quarter and a half included 14 players with less than 50 games and 5 with 100+. Had those 5 players that missed been playing we may well be talking about the possible sacking of a coach this weekend.

Grigg was poor early, but a big part of the comeback.
This is what keeps him in the side, a poor start to a game overshadowed by him racking up touches once the heat had gone out of the game. The bloke was the only one in the side to not lay a tackle, which is pretty poor when the team lays 83 combined.

Grigg 29 touches - 0 tackles. some of his kicks hit a target, and in fact i think he assisted 2-3 goals with good kicks into the 50. but some of his kicks in the 50 were HORRIBLE. it was either 2nd or last quarter, he had the ball on the boundary, inside 50, and centred a kick straight to 3 lions players, who sweep it away from the forward line. his composure under pressure is non existant, but when he is in space, can do some good things.
he also avoided going in to get the hard ball, and allowed opp players to pick the ball up, then waited for teammates to lay the tackle.

he has no middle ground. his good is very good, and the rest is Shiite

Have been a long time viewer of bigfooty and Richmond fan for life but this will be my first post. TBH I am so over listening to DimWits comments about how we need to stick to the structure, stick to the game plan. Sounds like George Bush's stay the course campaign. He is bloody clueless and proves it by stupid decisions to play players who don't perform week in week out. You can see his stupid game plan as the players always look to go backwards before they go forwards ALA wallacafied, awfull strategy.

Shane Edwards = Spud / not enough strength, too slow to be a gun forward pocket, goes missing constantly, why does he persist with playing him in the midfield arrghh.
Shaun Grigg, Paaleaaassee / awfullness at its best, 28 weak posessions, no pressure, doesn't break lines, constantly kicks side ways or backwards. Why does he get a go before others kids who would be the future, surely Knights would be a better option, better skills
Morris = surely you would have to consider dropping him after last nights efforts, WOG in my opinion, mistake after mistake after mistake, sure he goes hard at the ball, but has no composure and always gives away free kicks going hammer and tongs at it. Do we not remember his terrible performance under pressure against Carltank in the preliminary final. Not up to it!
Newman = DONE, why the **** does he still get a game, understandably he was a previous captain but really, way to slow, cant break lines, can put pressure on, be ruthless like hawthorn FFS drop him, Mcdonna would be a much better candidate, why wouldn't you get AFL games into him - teach him at the high level so he gets better rather than the Magoos, the kid has got endeavour.
Houli, surely just another passenger and just as weak as Grigg
Thomas goes hard, but no stamina and too slow - really don't know why they didn't elevate Miles instead would have been a much better acquisition for the future.
Id also like to see Darou in the team for Chaplin but even the possibility of Rance for Chaplin and keep grimes in the team. After watching preseason too, did anyone else think Elton was good against Essenjection at Punt Rd, I thought he took some good strong marks and kicked a goal, why hasn't he been given a go?
If Vickery is put back in for Hawthorn I'll kill myself.

Does anyone else get offended by Dimmas Disection, I mean what a tosser, smiles when we win and sad face when we loose and never talks about tackling. Anyway thats my vent.
Welcome to the board!
Plenty agree with u on every point.
I didn't mind Newy, did some good thing sang got our resurgence going, tho hardly noticed him in 1 st half
Sheds, great result 2 g from a nothing game, just not good enough for 119 mins
Grigg, geez his tackling style seems to be to hope to distract someone by by wiggling his hands it makes me cry
Grigg with 0. :thumbsdown:

How does he get a game

To be fair, he did wave his arms in a non aggressive manner near a couple of Brissy players, may have distracted them as they were probably expecting to be tackled

The bad: Two and a half quarters of constant switching/over possession was so frustrating. The midfielders & half backs looked sideways first, backwards second and looked forward only as an after-thought. Jack was on fire but we barely kicked it to him. There were so many times when a quick kick would have found Jack or Griffiths 1 on 1 but instead we farted around 60 - 70 metres out from goal and let Brisbane flood back. It wasn't until Brisbane headed us in the third that we started kicking towards goal and lo and behold, started to win.

The good: Best tackling effort by Richmond I can remember for a long time. Credit to Arnott, Thomas, Lloyd, Cotchin & Jackson in particular. No credit to Grigg.
What I have noticed is we tend to handball inside the congestion far too much instead of outside the congestion which allows more fwd movement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Rd 4 v Brisbane - Game Discussion and Changes for Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Back