Autopsy Rd 4 v Brisbane - Game Discussion and Changes for Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Astbury has been surprising and is making a good case for himself to stay in the back six. Given his lack of AFL experience and the role to take on superstars of the game he is going all right. Cloke and Brown back to back and both in milestone games!

Grigg is a passenger that surely Foley can replace. I saw Grigg take one good mark where he had to wait for the flight of the ball and take a hit but he was calling for the ball in space. He doesn't look creative with the ball and isn't helping on defence. If he is racking those stats it is only going to show that he isn't doing much with the ample opportunities he has in a match to prove himself.

The Brisbane side that pushed Hawthorn included Leuenberger Merrett Rich Hanley & Green and had 11 players under 50 games and 5 players with 150+ games. The team that pushed us for a quarter and a half included 14 players with less than 50 games and 5 with 100+. Had those 5 players that missed been playing we may well be talking about the possible sacking of a coach this weekend.
....and after finishing half a game off a 4th last year, if Benny Gale didn't laugh at that speculation I'd be shocked.

Masterstroke by Dimma Subbing off Thomas. He started ok but looked sloppy late. Thomas may suit a half game role like last night, At half time replace him with someone more skillful but unfortunately less exhuberant. Deserves some credit for his attack and energy early in games.
It seems we have too many players suited to this .....

How many freakin hospital balls did we give Flossy last night? Lucky he is so courageous and didn't get hurt. The lads should buy him lunch this week!
Interesting point of view. In contrast I thought he was the one whose delivery was last night put others under the pump or turned the ball over way too much passing on the correct first option, looking left, right and backwards and then kicking to the option that was correct 5 seocnds ago and was now closed up or just banged it down the line to an outnumbered contest.

I thought his competitiveness was great but he let us down with contructive ball movement, though perhaps I just missed that it was other team mates that contributed to it, as you saw.

Gordon is perfect sub, Arnot is perfect pressure and Lloyd is perfect accumulator around the forward 50. The other thing is they all can and do tackle.

Arnot, Lloyd and Gordon combined for 16 tackles, Edwards, Grigg and Houli 7 tackles....

That is very interesting docko911 , but I also wonder how much time the ball spent in the respective halves and where the tackles were laid ie did Arnott, Lloyd, & Gordon all rotate through the midfield ?[/quote]

Last edited:
My take:
  • Big Griff showing massive improvement this year, not sure what happened in the offseason but he's been solid
  • Vickery should be very nervous
  • The effect of having 2 of our main on-field midfield leaders injured (lids, Maric) is personified by our second/3rd quarter efforts. I wonder whether we'd have served that up if we had those 2 on the ground
  • Matt Thomas should be played only if we have midfield injuries, are playing in wet weather or in games played in the NT until he can improve his leg speed. Tackling machine but I saw him get run down a few times yesterday.
  • Petterd gives his all but just doesn't seem to be a player that you can depend on. Not sure how Dimma needs to do to boost his skills and confidence
  • Jackson seems to have lost some of his pace, may just need a few games to get it back. Hopefully 2012 Jacko doesn't reappear
  • When Hammer isn't in the ruck he provides comedic entertainment for opposition and neutral supporters
  • Jono Brown is a gun

Interesting point of view. In contrast I thought he was the one whose delivery was last night put others under the pump or turned the ball over way too much passing on the correct first option, looking left, right and backwards and then kicking to the option that was correct 5 seocnds ago and was now closed up or just banged it down the line to an outnumbered contest.

I thought his competitiveness was great but he let us down with contructive ball movement, though perhaps I just missed that it was other team mates that contributed to it, as you saw.

Fair call on Flossy's disposal which was average but I lost count of how many times teammates went over his head and he had to go back with the flight... perhaps he copped a few hits that affected his subsequent disposal!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here's just an idea for you all or a question really. Can we leave Benny G forward to rotate through the ruck and play Tv as the loose defender that can run through the ruck as well, being loose he may be able to create from the back & still use his athletic traits in the ruck and get more involved, where he seems to be most dangerous...???

Here's just an idea for you all or a question really. Can we leave Benny G forward to rotate through the ruck and play Tv as the loose defender that can run through the ruck as well, being loose he may be able to create from the back & still use his athletic traits in the ruck and get more involved, where he seems to be most dangerous...???
Isn't this what they tried with Jack Watts?

Last night what i did notice and was so obvious is that we are a very slow team,We really need to get some lightning quick players that can break lines and create .

I think this is a must THE_GUN , especially if we are to persist with 3 talls. I think only then has it any chance of working...

Not a bad idea. He could be a very good run around the ground ruckman, not knee in the ribs ruckman at centre bounces. Anyone mentioned the irony that we tried to make him more a focal point & share the scoring load. He kicked more goals & is now on outer.

Isn't this what they tried with Jack Watts?

Not sure , But it just means he would not be responsible for a man and can chip in as 3rd man up, then use his athletic ability out of defence and from the ruck...Just thinking out loud really.

The best position for TyVi is on the half back flank wing.

Hear me out

Games that he dominates he has played ruck/roaming defence wing. He always clunks marks on the back 50 flank from an opposition kick out. He competes well in back 50 stoppages and can, most of the time, hit up a man. I actually think he would be better there

Petterd and Thomas are slow of mind footballers. Absolutely have no idea. The mistakes Petterd makes is horrendous. Comical. Most have been forgotten cause they look at the stats sheet and see 28 touches. Simpletons.

He was playing loose man. Had no man. Lance Whitnall right now could play that role and get that many touches.

Park level footballers won't make the mistakes this idiot makes. Shocking footballer and a disgrace he gets into the team.

Shows where we are really. A mediocre team with mediocre players.

Mediocre fans have head in the sand. Flower sniffers who have no idea about the game, rely on what the media and coaches say, when Dimma says something they crack a fat and everything is ok again.

This was the worst team in the league and by some distance. Not won a quarter and had key players out of a poor squad. We got lucky they stopped.

Grigg is the softest human in the world. Hates body contact. To have no tackles is a downright disgrace. He should be deported for that. If our football club meant something this kind of shit would be addressed. For all Dimmas talk, he's a soft coach and you see it with his favorites.

Shane Edwards. The nowhere man. Don't even know what he does for 98% of a football game. Does a good looking thing once in a game and bang, he's a star.

Ellis is severely out of form. A good coach sees that and addresses it. Ri g T now, we are just hoping he turns it around.

As stated too many players that shouldn't be in the AFL are cemented players in our team. Yet people wonder what has happened?

Funniest comment of the night goes to Dimma. "Sometimes you need to take a step backwards to take two steps forward". He does this by playing recycled hacks and not giving worthy kids a go. Dimma logic.

The end is nigh for him. We are in no man's land as a football team.

Good luck for those of you happy with it. You'll never see success.

Perhaps he knows a thing or 2 regarding skill aquisition and testing it in the pressure cooker of competition. I have coached at elite level sport so I can speak with a little experience and understand what he is saying.....

My take:
  • Big Griff showing massive improvement this year, not sure what happened in the offseason but he's been solid [Choco Williams happened if I recall correctly!!! His offseason project]
  • Vickery should be very nervous
  • The effect of having 2 of our main on-field midfield leaders injured (lids, Maric) is personified by our second/3rd quarter efforts. I wonder whether we'd have served that up if we had those 2 on the ground
  • Matt Thomas should be played only if we have midfield injuries, are playing in wet weather or in games played in the NT until he can improve his leg speed. Tackling machine but I saw him get run down a few times yesterday.
  • Petterd gives his all but just doesn't seem to be a player that you can depend on. Not sure how Dimma needs to do to boost his skills and confidence
  • Jackson seems to have lost some of his pace, may just need a few games to get it back. Hopefully 2012 Jacko doesn't reappear
  • When Hammer isn't in the ruck he provides comedic entertainment for opposition and neutral supporters
  • Jono Brown is a gun

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Rd 4 v Brisbane - Game Discussion and Changes for Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Back