Autopsy Rd 4 v Brisbane - Game Discussion and Changes for Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

He still was a bit ordinary for me despite his 2 goals.
There was one passage of play that summed up Titch. Beautiful pick up in a pack (I don't think anyone else would have got it out of the pack) and handball to the opposition. :D

Saw the score early, seems like we were inaccurate and trying to kick from silly spots

Then I was listening a bit on the radio when they got in front, we just weren't chasing or putting in any defensive efforts

At least the boys got challenged and woke up to themselves, stupid they were in the position in the first place but turning it around certainly means something

Ok threads a bit cleaner, stay on topic guys.

And for the record, you don't have to be happy with how we won, you don't have to be happy with the way we're playing, but you sure as hell won't take it out on other posters.

Now, I just got home and haven't watched the game, how much fun am I going to have reading the Game Day thread?
Pretend you ain't a mod and leave it alone.

Lets start with the bad stuff.
Hurry up Chris Knights. Your injury issues are allowing players like Grigg have an extended run in the side. Shaun Grigg must get dropped, we can't go into the Geelong game with someone who didn't lay a single tackle in a four quarter game... Absolutely shocking.

Steven Morris, my goodness. Your decision making is horrible, you can't mark the ball under pressure, and your disposal is sub-par at best. You may tackle and put in some nice three or four effort spurts in games, but that shouldn't give you a guaranteed game every week. You won't get dropped but you would want to sort out those deficiencies in your game.

Chris Newman, you have been an excellent servant to the club, but you don't offer a lot. At your best you are best 22, but currently I would rather give Madonna your spot who is hungry and deserves another go.

Shaun Hampson, you are a very clumsy footballer. Your tapwork is excellent, but around the ground you are struggling. You can't seem to take a contested mark which is one of the main reasons we went after you. Sort it out, because if you don't start improving there, you and Orren can fight it out for a spot in the VFL side once Maric gets back.

Dylan Grimes, I honestly hope you are down on confidence, because with these types of performances you have been putting in lately I'm surprised you haven't been dropped. Everyone on this board is way to nice about Dylan, yes he has had an injury riddled career, but does that excuse countless costly mistakes every week? I don't think so.

The good stuff
Dustin Martin, from now on I believe your best position is roaming that forward 50. You should be playing 70% up forward and 30% midfield. I don't want to see him anywhere near the back 50. You would only go in the middle at important stages of the game, that way you will be able to put in effort after effort and give us a great chance of winning the clearance. Also, back yourself anywhere near the 50 metre line, I don't think any fan would crucify you for taking shots outside 50. You can kick the ball 70 freaking metres, you are a weapon. I'd be very disappointed if Dimma has told him to reign in the long shots at goal. No sense.

Jack Riewoldt, great game I thought, plays a lot better when Vickery isn't in his leading area trying to spoil all of his marks. Even though Griff nearly did a couple of times -_- Full forward is the spot for you, I understand Dimma's mantra of trying to have versatile players that can play many positions, but its not working. Play your players to where they excel at.

Trent Cotchin, just wills himself to every contest. The only player I see busting a gut to try and chase and tackle. Plays with enormous heart, its just a shame that our other midfielders don't play in the same fashion.

Nathan Gordon, you are an impact player. Last week when you played a full game, you were below average. Tonight when you came on as the sub, although against average opposition, you dominated. This is your best role at the present moment in time. Embrace it.

Matty Arnot, love this kid. Just bashes and crashes and really puts in 100%. That bump he laid on Rockliff in the last quarter was excellent. Flattened him, you are built like a brick wall. Continue doing what you are doing and you will remain in the best 22.

The rest were probably pass marks, we need more from Conca, Ellis, Vlastuin though.

Overall, my thoughts on the performance, was no better than the previous two weeks. Brisbane are very very bad at present. They are missing, I would say, 6 of their best 22. Some notable names Hanley, Lueunberger, Rich, Beams, Staker, McGrath (Not the best but still best 22). The second and third quarters were atrocious, they hadn't won a quarter before they played us, but yet they manage to win one against us, its just not good enough from a team that finished 5th after the home and away season last year. Yes its great we got the 4 points woohoo, but don't let that cloud over the fact that we played like crap once again. After the first quarter we should have been up by at least 40-50 points, but we were only up by 20 odd which kept them in the game.
Ball movement was average, still too many skill errors, too many brain fades. I don't see other teams struggling with skills, apart from Carlton. We are going to need big improvement if we are going to come anywhere close to Geelong next week. I just don't see us coming close against them which kills me to say really, because I used to think we had a chance in every game we played. However this season has just killed the majority of the confidence I had in this list and coaching team.

Just raising the warning bells on Morris. Whilst he is AFL standard he is NOT premiership standard. There's no room for a one track minded player like him in the AFL anymore. He tries hard, he is good on the ground offensively (poor in the air) but that's about it. He provides very little offensive run and more often than not hurts us with his possession. He had 8 clangers from 10 kicks today. If you're like Cotchin and get 25 kicks it's more forgiveable but this just can't go. I mentioned it at the time but now that the contact to the knees rule has been introduced, his game has been severely cutback.

There's still another 5-6 players who need to go in front of him but as I said, just raising the warning bells.
You are going to get hammered for this. :p Man he tries his guts out but he's pretty bad. Need to just stick him on a small forward and say "both of you come off not touching the ball"

I will need to watch the game again but does anyone else feel Houli has gone backwards this year?
Could scratch Houli and put a few in his place. We tried him on a wing which didn't work. He went back last week and was decent (one of our better guys) Pretty sure he was back there today. Was good in the last I thought. Probably a bit starved of opportunities tonight. It barely went down there.

Could scratch Houli and put a few in his place. We tried him on a wing which didn't work. He went back last week and was decent (one of our better guys) Pretty sure he was back there today. Was good in the last I thought. Probably a bit starved of opportunities tonight. It barely went down there.
I just feel that he is too soft (I know he is an easy target and its the general opinion of him), if he is going to be so soft then he needs to be damaging with his disposal coming out of defense.. seems to not pull the trigger much this season..

I just feel that he is too soft (I know he is an easy target and its the general opinion of him), if he is going to be so soft then he needs to be damaging with his disposal coming out of defense.. seems to not pull the trigger much this season..
He put in some shocking "efforts" (for lack of a better word) but he had improved so much in that area. At least compared to Grigg he can cut the other team apart with his kicking, which he did in the last a few times. Slow start to the year but hopefully we get last years Houli back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Strange game really, should have been out of sight by qtr time, but bad kicking is bad football. Second qtr & first half of the 3rd qtr just awful really.
After that pretty good really & a 43 point win, hopefully some confidence will come from that.
One point, well done J Brown on a fantastic 250th:thumbsu:
No it's not. It's an excuse when you lose. Just ask Carlton fans. :D

I'd add the first quarter was pretty shit too. But we dominated purely on defensive effort even though our offensive game was pretty shite.

Someone post our team from round 5 last year and see how it compares
Who did we play? I'd imagine it had Lids, Rance and Maric in it but lacked Lloyd, Gordon and Arnot. :hearts: We've found 3 goodies. If we can find a couple more before the big guns come back...:thumbsu:

Someone post our team from round 5 last year and see how it compares
Round 5 2013 VS Freo

B: Batchelor Rance Helbig
HB: Grimes Petterd Houli
C: Newman Cotchin White
HF: Deledio S Edwards Jackson
F: McGuane Riewoldt Vickery
FOLL: Maric Martin Vlastuin
I/C: Ellis King Grigg Knights
EMG: A Edwards Nahas Dea

Round 5 2014 VS Bris
B: Chris Newman, David Astbury, Dylan Grimes
HB: Bachar Houli, Troy Chaplin, Steven Morris
C: Shaun Grigg, Daniel Jackson, Reece Conca
HF: Dustin Martin, Ricky Petterd, Sam Lloyd
F: Nathan Gordon, Jack Riewoldt, Ben Griffiths
FOLL: Shaun Hampson, Matt Thomas, Trent Cotchin
I/C: Matthew Arnot, Shane Edwards, Brandon Ellis, Nick Vlastuin

Petterd wasn't great tonight. He may have got the ball a fair bit and did some OK things, but he did give away two goals basically in the goal square which is unacceptable for a defender playing relatively loose.

I don't think he should be dropped, but he definitely shouldn't be an auto selection.
good stuff, you should consider being a comedian
Just raising the warning bells on Morris. Whilst he is AFL standard he is NOT premiership standard. There's no room for a one track minded player like him in the AFL anymore. He tries hard, he is good on the ground offensively (poor in the air) but that's about it. He provides very little offensive run and more often than not hurts us with his possession. He had 8 clangers from 10 kicks today. If you're like Cotchin and get 25 kicks it's more forgiveable but this just can't go. I mentioned it at the time but now that the contact to the knees rule has been introduced, his game has been severely cutback.

There's still another 5-6 players who need to go in front of him but as I said, just raising the warning bells.
agreed if both were fit and there was a vacancy for that last spot in the team between morris and petterd id pick pets 10/10

Cotch- Excellent, hard at it and just wills himself to contents, bounced back and led from the front tonight, good lad

Jack- Functions better without Tyrone, or certainly when he is given the 50 largely to himself, had to stand up tonight and did

Petterd- **** da haters man, you were great tonight. Ideally gets replaced down the road for sure but if he can keep going in hard, being courageous, getting 28 touches at 82%, half of them contested, I'll happily back him in

Vlastuin- Loved his game tonight, corageous, tough, strong. Would love to see him play in the middle, wouldn't mind Lennon/Donuts to come onto a back flank and vlossy to replace Thomas as an inside mid.

Conca- Actually thought he played well, did a lot of work in and around the packs and released players on the outside countless times. Did his job as an inside mid

Arnot- Love him, keep him in the side for the next 5 or 6 games give him a proper run at it, has a real crack

Ellis- Worries me this year, has gone backwards, lost his mojo, he like others need to discover his form from last year to get us back on track

Jackson- Just keeps doing what jacko does

Thomas- Looks tired and a bit slow, think he should be phased out and just be a depth player, Vlastuin should play his role

Grigg- Have no problems with him being an outside player getting 29 touches, I can even forgive the questionable disposal. What shits me is the total lack of going in hard or gut running to make a tackle. 0 tackles, and he wasn't sitting by himself on a wing all night either he was around a fair few packs, unacceptable. Stepping aside allowing Brown to take that last mark instead of spoiling and getting crunched pretty much sums it up.

Gordon- Impact player, to make it will need to learn how to do so over 4 quarters, has been great as the sub but looked a little lost over 4 quarters

Sheds- Pretty much Gordon ^. Still not impacting over 4 quarters, first half wasn't there at all. Second half was a step in the right direction, needs to be a small forward!!!!!!

Grimes- Lacking confidence and badly out of form at the moment. Makes way for Rance and until he can rediscover his 2012 form can sadly only be considered depth

Hampson- Sublime tapworth, 50+ hitouts, pretty rubbish around the ground, think he's playing alright, but god I miss Ivy's presence

Morris- Needs to be better, not convinced his shoulder is right at all, seems to do it 3 times a game, just needs to do his job as a lockdown small which he is good at, he is not a rebounding defender at AFL level.

Lloyd- Looked good until that hit with Adcock, don't think he was quite right after that

Newman- Was missing for about 80% of the game but had a couple of crucial passages which shows the value he can still hold in the team. Sorry newy not enough for me, won't be enough over the next two weeks.

Out: Thomas, Newman, Grimes
IN: McDonough, Foley, Rance

Would love to drop Grigg but don't think Lennon should be thrown to the wolves against Hawthorn/Geelong, and Knights isn't ready yet. Last chances for both him and Sheds, or Lennon and Knights come in for both of them

B: Morris, Chaplin, Rance
HB: Houli, Astbury, McDonough
C: Grigg, Cotchin, Ellis
HF: Martin, Griffiths, Petterd
F: Lloyd, Reiwoldt, Edwards
R: Hampson, Conca, Vlastuin

INT: Jackson, Foley, Arnot
SUB: Gordon

The difference here for me is I know we are in a slump and no one is saying all things are rosy. I know we need to move on players for better players( this will happen more at the end of the year with King and Newman and a few others), but unlike you I want it in an orderly fashion(no massive changes week in week out) while accepting the fact that we still have a way to go to get we want. That doesn't mean overreacting, wanting dimma on a pike because he has 'ruined' players knowing that we need more strings to their bow(playing different roles), knowing we still rely on our best to play our best. You well entitled to your view, but imho your way over the top in wanting everyone sacked, your way over the top with the hubris for wanting to be proven right all the time and rubbing everyone's nose in it(mind you I still disagree your right tho). This for me is the most I don't like about you posting recently. you cant even post anything positive at all no matter what happens. Yes we had a win, yes it wasn't that good, yes I want players transisioned out(newman, grigg,edwards etc) but unlike you I realise it cant be done at once. This is not about accepting mediocrity its about doing it in the right way. Do I disagree with the way the coaching staff do it at times, yes I do, but I don't want them to put up against the wall either.I know you disagree but its just my 2 cents.
Wot he said

PoOSITIVEd

1. Gordon was awesome...exact player we are missing.

2. Lloyd looked good until hit.

3. Arnot

4. Forward line structure with Jack, Griff and Dusty was way better.

NEGATIVES

1. We played a QAFL side and got headed in the 3rd term. JUST CANNOT BELT TEAMS!

2. Morris I have been a big fan of but his kicking was some of the worst I have seen from an individual player.

3. Grigg agree with all above comments.

4. With these young guys being hungry and playing well we need to play donuts over Newman, Helbig over Thomas ect as these old hacks are going no where.

5. Personally thought Cotchins game was very avg. Wanted cheap touches and went in and out of the game. If the skipper does it the team will.

6. Game plan and slow ball movement. Tonight but the night to bomb it long quickly as even if Brisbane took it away the would most likely give it back.

10. Dimmas continual cliché pressers

11. Having jack at 9 bucks to kick 6 or kore a looking like a monty in the first qrt!

What baffles me is how many people you all want to drop. Morris, Grimes, Edwards, Thomas, Grigg, Newman, Hampson and some people are still calling for Petterds head. Wowwee.

Who do we have to come in? Helbig Foley, McDoughan, O'Hanlon? Not a flash list of players there. Got belted by 100 points in the VFL the other week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Rd 4 v Brisbane - Game Discussion and Changes for Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Back