Autopsy Rd 4 v Brisbane - Game Discussion and Changes for Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Forward line looks a hell of a lot more dangerous with one less tall. Jack at FF and Griff at CHF with Lloyd, Arnot and Gordon at their feet.

I think Gordon should play a full game next week with Sheds as the sub. Sheds didn't really turn up until the final quarter anyway. Continued poor form should see Lennon take his place in the side.

Thomas is becoming a liability in the midfield now. His tackling pressure and work in close is good, but like Tucky before him his lack of pace and skill isn't something our midfield can carry as it damages our ability to close down the spread of opposition mids. I'm sure we'd be regretting choosing him over Miles now. I think next week we bring in one of McDonough/Foley depending on VFL form for Thomas. Foley fits better as he is a midfielder.

Despite the leadership he showed in the third quarter when we were down, Newy's lack of offensive contribution is becoming a real worry. I'd be tempted to bring McDonough in for him, but that's probably not something we can really consider until we regain the leadership of Rancey in the back half. His foot skills are also still if value.

If fit Rance comes straight back in for Grimes, as Optimus is still a bit shaky in defense (dropping marks, etc) due to a lack of confidence.

I doubt Lids will be ready in time to face the Hawks, but his presence instead of a player like Thomas makes our midfield a much more dangerous unit.

A ten day break between games should leave us plenty of time to prepare for another big clash with the Hawks, and if we can have the confidence to take the game on like we did in the last quarter and a half tonight I think we've got a good chance of continuing our dominance over the Hawks in recent years.

See if he backs it up. Cotch had better numbers but I don't see anyone raving about him?

In fact, none of our players were a stand out tonight. Maybe only Jack.
In the 3 games where he wasn't hampered by injury Petterd is averaging 24 disposals 10.3 contested possessions 7 marks 1.66 tackles 3 clangers 3 clearances 2 R50 2.6 1%ers. So I'd suggest that overall this year he has played some consistent footy.

As for Cotchin while he had more disposals clearances & tackles he also had a much lower DE%, 1 less contested disposal & committed 3 more clangers(neither gave away a free kick). If you head over to the MVP thread I'd be willing to bet that Cotchin is more often in the 5 vote position than anyone else. So while there might not be raving in here there is elsewhere.

He still was a bit ordinary for me despite his 2 goals.

The goal from the boundary, and the goal from the scout, that's what he's there to do. He's a coaches nightmare, no doubt, but he can do it.

To me if we could find a forward like Aaron Edwards in the draft that would be perfect. Compliments our forward structure brilliantly.
Bloke called O'Hanlon would be handy if he can get himself right

Just raising the warning bells on Morris. Whilst he is AFL standard he is NOT premiership standard. There's no room for a one track minded player like him in the AFL anymore. He tries hard, he is good on the ground offensively (poor in the air) but that's about it. He provides very little offensive run and more often than not hurts us with his possession. He had 8 clangers from 10 kicks today. If you're like Cotchin and get 25 kicks it's more forgiveable but this just can't go. I mentioned it at the time but now that the contact to the knees rule has been introduced, his game has been severely cutback.

There's still another 5-6 players who need to go in front of him but as I said, just raising the warning bells.

Bloke called O'Hanlon would be handy if he can get himself right

The next two games are deer-in-headlights ones.
Be good to play O'Hanlon, McDonough and Lennon soon, but don't think we'll change much next week.
Hopefully 1 or 2 though...:)

Just raising the warning bells on Morris. Whilst he is AFL standard he is NOT premiership standard. There's no room for a one track minded player like him in the AFL anymore. He tries hard, he is good on the ground offensively (poor in the air) but that's about it. He provides very little offensive run and more often than not hurts us with his possession. He had 8 clangers from 10 kicks today. If you're like Cotchin and get 25 kicks it's more forgiveable but this just can't go. I mentioned it at the time but now that the contact to the knees rule has been introduced, his game has been severely cutback.

There's still another 5-6 players who need to go in front of him but as I said, just raising the warning bells.
3 clangers were frees against. Still not ideal to have 1/3 of your disposals as clangers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There was a spot for ****ing Mark Blake and Max Rooke in a premiership team.

There was a spot for ******* Mark Blake and Max Rooke in a premiership team.

Yep, good point. But one was a goal-post ruckman good on the tap, the other was a re-invented half forward good on the cult.
Morro maybe needs another string to his bow.

There was a spot for ******* Mark Blake and Max Rooke in a premiership team.
What's your point? Max Rooke was by no means a bad footballer and he provided Geelong with flexibility as he could play small/tall or as a midfielder. Mark Blake was just a case of Geelong matching double rucks to St Kilda's double rucks. Right place at right time.

3 clangers were frees against. Still not ideal to have 1/3 of your disposals as clangers.
Fair enough, but it's not as though he has ever been good with disposal. It is more noticeable this year than any.

* Griffiths was great and im loving his season so far,with another 30-40 games will be a player that really hurts opposition (where is coops lol)
* The fact that nobody has so far had a go at Astbury after brown kicks 4 goals is pleasing and im hoping he continues his development
* Sheds really needs a kick up the a55 - done sfa last 5 weeks and i wont be swayed by his last quater when his 1st 3 were crap
* Jake king shouldnt be played again until his farewell game
* Hampsons ruck work was brilliant BUT was i the only person who noticed that the brisbane players were able to read his taps better than our players ?
* Newman - Thanks for the memories
* Grigg , Needs to be dropped and retune his game so that he is more accountable - the days of running free are gone , need to be more defensive minded

MY BIGGEST RANT FOR TONIGHT
whilst Thomas has been good so far, He is just a depth player and should be treated as such
He has no upside and as another poster mentioned he is just a backup for Jackson and should be only played when desperately needed

Why the hell is Thomas played ahead of Brad Helbig in a game against a depleted brisbane that are on the bottom of the ladder and we are just about guaranteed the win no matter what - What is the upside of playing thomas in these games

Out:
Thomas,Grigg,Newman,Sh-edwards
In : Helbig,Foley,McDonough,Deledio

WE NEED SPEED AGAINST THE HAWKS

Petterd wasn't great tonight. He may have got the ball a fair bit and did some OK things, but he did give away two goals basically in the goal square which is unacceptable for a defender playing relatively loose.

I don't think he should be dropped, but he definitely shouldn't be an auto selection.
good stuff, you should consider being a comedian ;)

Ok threads a bit cleaner, stay on topic guys.

And for the record, you don't have to be happy with how we won, you don't have to be happy with the way we're playing, but you sure as hell won't take it out on other posters.

Now, I just got home and haven't watched the game, how much fun am I going to have reading the Game Day thread?

Nah, every time it went near McGuane it was smacked away.

To be fair, Brisbane weren't using McGuane as a target much, but still a nice effort from Chappy

Lol when we played McGuane the opposing club would use a half back flanker to stop him, we used Chaplin o_O

And for the record, you don't have to be happy with how we won, you don't have to be happy with the way we're playing, but you sure as hell won't take it out on other posters.

Now, I just got home and haven't watched the game, how much fun am I going to have reading the Game Day thread?

Have to admit, lurking on other boards.. no-one turns on their own in the forum like the tigers lol

Do yourself a favour and watch on about half way through the third quarter .. and wipe the scoreboard.. from there it looks like a great result!

Keep your razor handy - Ill call the ambulance tomorrow

Have to admit, lurking on other boards.. no-one turns on their own in the forum like the tigers lol

Do yourself a favour and watch on about half way through the third quarter .. and wipe the scoreboard.. from there it looks like a great result!

Visit the Blooz board after they get humped by the doggies this week - I cant wait

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Rd 4 v Brisbane - Game Discussion and Changes for Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Back