Preview Rd 5, 2014 - Brisbane Lions v Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Worried about Riewoldt this week. Shultz demolished us last week and with Vickery out Jack might play closer to goal. Not sure Patfull has the athleticism to go with him.

Patsy can do anything that is asked of him!

Whether he actually DOES what is asked of him is another thing entirely...:(

(This must be what it's like when Superman falls...)

The cavalry doesn't look like it's arriving anytime soon

Injury List
Claye Beams (Foot) - 3 weeks
Josh Green (Hamstring) - 2 weeks
Ash McGrath (Calf) - TBC
Daniel Rich (Knee) - Indefinite
Brent Staker (Calf) - Indefinite
Stefan Martin (Back) - TBC
Luke McGuane (Knee) - Test
Patrick Wearden (Ankle) - 10-12 weeks
Sam Michael (Hamstring) - 1-2 weeks
Matthew Leuenberger (knee) - 10-12 weeks
Pearce Hanley (hamstring) - 2 weeks

Courtesy of the Lions website.

Be nice if McGuane is ready to play against his old side, we need him.

For those Brisbane Lions fans interested in stats. In now way am I making fun of the Brisbane Lions either. I just like stats and I do this for most rounds whoever Richmond are playing.

Richmond vs Brisbane Lions: Head-To-Head

Overall: Played - 22, Richmond: 13, Brisbane: 8, 1 draw

Richmond Home Record: Played 10 – won: 7, lost: 2, 1 draw

Richmond Away Record: Played 12 - won: 6, lost: 6

Brisbane Lions Home Record: Played 12 – won: 6, lost: 6

Brisbane Lions Away Record: Played 10 – won: 2, lost: 7, 1 draw

Richmond vs Brisbane Lions - Record at Grounds:

• · MCG: Played 6 – Richmond: 5, Brisbane: 1
  • · Colonial Stadium (Telstra Dome, now known as Etihad Stadium): Played 4 – Richmond: 2, Brisbane: 1, 1 draw
  • · Gabba: Played 12 – Richmond: 6, Brisbane: 6

Since 2000: Richmond: 11, Brisbane: 6, 1 draw

Past 10 Seasons (2003-2013): Richmond: 9, Brisbane Lions: 3, 1 draw

Past 5 Seasons (2009-2013): Richmond: 5, Brisbane Lions: 1

Past 5 Games: Richmond: 5, Brisbane Lionss: 0

Last Time They Met: Round 20, 2013: Richmond: 14.13 (97) defeated Brisbane Lions: 11.8 (74) – MCG

Quirky Stat: The Brisbane Lions have not beaten Richmond at the Gabba since Round 14 2004, a year which would see Richmond finish as the wooden spooners and the mighty Brisbane Lions making a fourth consecutive Grand Final.

In that game Jay Shulz (now at Port Adelaide) led the way for the Tigers with 6 goals whilst Alistair Lynch kicked 4 goals and Jamie Charman booted 3 goals for the Lions, Luke Power was the highest possession getter for the Lions with 30 possessions whilst Nathan Brown got 31 possessions for the Tigers. Interesting looking back at this game as Chris Newman is the only player still playing at Richmond today with the rest of the players from that Richmond team either retired or moved on to other clubs.

Since that round 14 2004 game at the Gabba, Richmond and the Brisbane Lions have played five games at the Gabba with Richmond winning all five of them by an average margin of 19 points. Such has been Richmond’s dominance over the Brisbane Lions in recent times – overall the Tigers have won the last five games (three at the Gabba and two at the MCG) by an average margin of 30 points.

All Games - Richmond vs Brisbane Lions:

Round 14, 1997: Brisbane Lions: 7.26 (68) defeated Richmond: 7.8 (50) – Gabba

Round 6, 1998: Brisbane Lions: 13.8 (86) defeated Richmond: 7.9 (51) - Gabba

Round 21, 1998: Richmond: 24.11 (155) defeated Brisbane: 11.12 (78) - MCG

Round 8, 1999: Richmond: 21.9 (135) defeated Brisbane: 17.17 (119) – MCG

Round 12, 2000: Richmond: 17.9 (111) defeated Brisbane: 14.15 (99) – Gabba

Round 3, 2001: Richmond: 17.14 (116) defeated Brisbane: 14.10 (94) - MCG

Round 19, 2001: Brisbane Lions: 19.14 (128) defeated Richmond: 15.7 (97) – Gabba

Prelim Final, 2001: Brisbane Lions: 20.16 (136) defeated Richmond: 10.8 (68) – Gabba

Round 15, 2002: Brisbane Lions: 19.10 (118) defeated Richmond 7.13 (55) – Colonial Stadium

Round 13, 2003: Brisbane Lions: 15.14 (104) defeated Richmond: 9.7 (61) – Gabba

Round 14, 2004: Brisbane Lions: 17.12 (114) defeated Richmond: 14.12 (96) – Gabba

Round 9, 2005: Richmond: 12.15 (87) defeated Brisbane Lions: 12.11 (83) – Gabba

Round 4, 2006: Richmond: 14.12 (96) defeated Brisbane Lions: 11.16 (82) – Gabba

Round 19, 2006: Richmond: 21.16 (142) defeated Brisbane Lions: 8.12 (60) – Telstra Dome

Round 10, 2007: Richmond: 10.13 (73) DREW Brisbane Lions: 10.13 (73) – Telstra Dome

Round 17, 2008: Richmond: 18.9 (117) defeated Brisbane Lions: 16.18 (114) – Telstra Dome

Round 7, 2009: Brisbane Lions: 15.7 (97) defeated Richmond: 10.11 (71) – MCG

Round 13, 2010: Richmond: 15.15 (105) defeated Brisbane Lions: 12.14 (86) – Gabba

Round 6, 2011: Richmond: 18.16 (124) defeated Brisbane Lions: 14.14 (98) – MCG

Round 13, 2011: Richmond: 18.17 (125) defeated Brisbane Lions: 14.10 (94) – Gabba

Round 19, 2012: Richmond: 20.12 (132) defeated Brisbane Lions: 12.12 (84) – Gabba

Round 20, 2013: Richmond: 14.13 (97) defeated Brisbane Lions: 11.8 (74) - MCG

Worse than that. Our best team was in 2002, so we're literally like 1 player away from missing all of them.;)
Geelong have 9 from 2009
Hawthorn have 7 from 2008
Geelong have 7 from 2007
West Coast have 3 from 2006
Sydney have 3 from 2005
Port Adelaide have 1 from 2004
We have 2 from 2003
We have 1 from 2001/2002 (like you mentioned)
Essendon have 1 from 2000
North Melbourne have 1 from 1999

Makes me feel old.

Although this will make you feel young - Essendon still have 1 player from their 1993 side.

Worried about Riewoldt this week. Shultz demolished us last week and with Vickery out Jack might play closer to goal. Not sure Patfull has the athleticism to go with him.

While Patfull hardly covered himself in glory last week (who did for us?), it was more to do with the fact we were getting hammered in the contested possessions combined with us playing a press-up defence that meant there were countless easy marks over the top in Port's forward line.

I mean who the hell gets 28 marks inside their forward 50??? Surely that is some kind of record?

If we try to do a similar thing to Richmond we are likely to get a similar result. We shouldn't be trying to put in place a new defensive strategy in the middle of a crisis in confidence on field (given the lack of man power) - we need to go man on man or we are likely to get killed again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While Patfull hardly covered himself in glory last week (who did for us?), it was more to do with the fact we were getting hammered in the contested possessions combined with us playing a press-up defence that meant there were countless easy marks over the top in Port's forward line.

I mean who the hell gets 28 marks inside their forward 50??? Surely that is some kind of record?

If we try to do a similar thing to Richmond we are likely to get a similar result. We shouldn't be trying to put in place a new defensive strategy in the middle of a crisis in confidence on field (given the lack of man power) - we need to go man on man or we are likely to get killed again.

Yeah it's a futile exercise to pick out individual players in a loss like that but 7 goals...Riewoldt is going to be hungry too. I have faith in Patfull but I am still extremely worried.

I'm very worried about J.Riewoldt and very worried about Cotchin and Martin (especially after Cotchin's performance last week, will be chomping at the bit to play the bottom of the ladder side and rebound). Really think Raines has to come in this week and curb the influence of one of them with a head to head match-up against the other. If we don't I'd expect them both to get 25-35 touches and kick multiple goals, it'd take a huge effort to come back from that. Will back Patfull in against JR.

Imagine Jackson will play his run-with role with someone; Rockliff is the obvious one but I don't think he'd be as susceptible as some. Wouldn't be surprised to see him go to Mayes.

I'd like to see Polks back in as well, from as much as I could glean about the ressies match last weekend he was one of the better performers in a bad loss, but I mainly want the experience and the mature body in the side. Have him heavily in the midfield rotations and use him like we did in his very brief ball magnet period last season. Otherwise he could even have a crack off the HBF. If we don't play him with our injury list like it is he'd be getting nervous.

I love Goose but given he's been playing forward I don't really see a spot for him. Even in defense if Vickery is out I don't see the need for an extra tall. The ruck chop-out is the only thing that comes to mind and short of swinging Lisle forward that is a toughie. Interested to see what route they take with it.

Think Golby is well and truly at the point where he should be dropped but I'm not sure if it'll happen for obvious reasons.

I might be alone here but I almost see McGuane as a straight swap (and upgrade, you'd assume) for Bewick role wise. It'd be harsh to drop Bewick given he was our only multiple goalscorer from very limited supply but I wonder if he might move to the sub role this week.

Lester obviously comes back in.

Just really hoping for a much improved effort (especially as it's one of our biggest fixtures this season) and for the senior players to take responsibility and stand up. Think if we add a bit of experience to the 22 and start off strong we're in with a chance though!

Apologise for the big stream of consciousness rambling, but it always feels good to get it off the chest on team selection day :)

I may have referred to this before (somewhere?), but Richmond matched up well on Collingwood. They got it inside 50, 7 less times for 10 less marks than the Pies with 8 less scoring shots. Sound familiar?
rvc.JPG
Admittedly, last Friday is a long time ago and I didn't study their game, but on appearances either their delivery was poor, or the Pies defence too good (probably both, as well as the tag on Cotch). Our defenders really need to function, but comparing our midfield with that of Collingwood, our defence is likely to be bombarded. Without even a third of our injuries, I would suggest we'd win this one, but our injury list is what it is and it'll be a long night.

I may have referred to this before (somewhere?), but Richmond matched up well on Collingwood. They got it inside 50, 7 less times for 10 less marks than the Pies with 8 less scoring shots. Sound familiar?
View attachment 51825
Admittedly, last Friday is a long time ago and I didn't study their game, but on appearances either their delivery was poor, or the Pies defence too good (probably both, as well as the tag on Cotch). Our defenders really need to function, but comparing our midfield with that of Collingwood, our defence is likely to be bombarded. Without even a third of our injuries, I would suggest we'd win this one, but our injury list is what it is and it'll be a long night.

see they also beat the pies in contested possessions

ONe of the tigers strengths is there rebounding qualities, even with Delidio out, Houli was one of the tigers best last week, he provides plenty of run and a penetrating kick, they also have Morris and young gun B Ellis.

Totally agree about bringing Raines in, from reports his ressies form has been good, he adds a bigger mature body and just let him rip on Cotch,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back