AFLW Rd 6 Geelong vs Fremantle Sat. 9th March @ GMHBA, 2:35pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Bad: letting Freo kick 2 quick goals

Good: we didn't drop our heads, we lifted ourselves up and stepped up our game

We then kicked the next goal - the response to Freo getting on top of things was great to see because it forced us to lift our game which is what we did

Hopefully we step it up again in the second half

Tight game!

Freo are pretty dynamic, they kick long and run hard - not as tight in the contest as we are though.

A little purple patch from McWilliams and suddenly we looked a bit better moving the ball forward.

Unfortunate that we lost Garing to a head clash for most of the quarter, she'd been pretty dominant.

Anyone's game really, just need to keep the concentration levels up and play as a team.

Hickey's leadership good as always.

Geelong's game play has improved since the start of the season. Shame we can't say the same about the standard of umpiring.

They need instruction on tackles ... both sides are using the way its adjudicated..

The way its played then makes it a maul brawl and im not sure thats what the afl would really want. Geelong would probably be worse off it the game opened up so even though they are not calling the holding the balls .. if the called all the frees we probably get burnt by freo.

Freo plays the game like they are coached by Lyon.. very confrontational... and it only taks a slight loss of concentration from geelong and they are of to the races.

They need instruction on tackles ... both sides are using the way its adjudicated..

The way its played then makes it a maul brawl and im not sure thats what the afl would really want. Geelong would probably be worse off it the game opened up so even though they are not calling the holding the balls .. if the called all the frees we probably get burnt by freo.

Freo plays the game like they are coached by Lyon.. very confrontational... and it only taks a slight loss of concentration from geelong and they are of to the races.

agree with the bolded Turbo; we look better when we're keeping things bottled up.

Tight game!

Freo are pretty dynamic, they kick long and run hard - not as tight in the contest as we are though.

A little purple patch from McWilliams and suddenly we looked a bit better moving the ball forward.

Unfortunate that we lost Garing to a head clash for most of the quarter, she'd been pretty dominant.

Anyone's game really, just need to keep the concentration levels up and play as a team.

Hickey's leadership good as always.

I have this feeling that we are are the ones who are just trying to keep them down... but can we find a way to score within the maul dynamic. Our rucks are doing reasonably ..if we could nail a couple of taps to an open player ..perhaps we get some easier entries

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Leading possession winners to half time:

Cranston 10
Ivey 9
Garing 9
McWilliams 8
McDonald 8
Crocket-Grills 8
Garing with only 1 disposal that quarter due to the head clash

Hopefully she's ok to come back on in the second half because she is an important cog in our midfield

The girls have laid 40 tackles in the first half. In comparison, the guys only laid 50 tackles for the whole game on Thursday night.

Honestly .. I dont think thats a great stat fro the game promotion .. its speak volumes for their determination and willingness to go hard.. but the game has to aim higher than just a quagmire of besieged girls unable to show any skill. What are the free kicks... what ever it is it probably need to be twice as many.

I have this feeling that we are are the ones who are just trying to keep them down... but can we find a way to score within the maul dynamic. Our rucks are doing reasonably ..if we could nail a couple of taps to an open player ..perhaps we get some easier entries

Hoare has been pretty good I reckon, and has managed a couple of taps like you say - just need to do a bit better once we're 'out' ..

She's (Hoare) capable of getting it down to Cranston at pace from the centre bounce, seen that combo happen a few times over the past couple of years - would be very handy if they could combine like that this 3rd quarter.

Also, agree that Freo are looking dangerous; commentators keep criticising the Dockers but I think with a bit of luck they could have been at least 2 goals up.

Still; very happy with how our group is going, just need to be a bit cleaner when we get those half-chances.

Bloody hell, we even get those crappy Clive Palmer ads on the AFLW app. :sick:
I change the station whenever those ads come on - totally refuse to watch them.

And while I'd love to boycott all tv shows that air then during commercial breaks, it would mean there's nothing to watch for the next 6 months

Can't stand that he filed for bankruptcy, didn't pay out the staff who lost their jobs but now is able to waste money on the BS ads

I change the station whenever those ads come on - totally refuse to watch them.

And while I'd love to boycott all tv shows that air then during commercial breaks, it would mean there's nothing to watch for the next 6 months

Can't stand that he filed for bankruptcy, didn't pay out the staff who lost their jobs but now is able to waste money on the BS ads

But he did send an unsolicited text message promising to stop unsolicited political text messages. Actually made me laugh.

I wonder hope much the claw grip on the left hand is impacting on McWilliams because there's been a couple of times she hasn't been able to bring the ball to ground after seemingly having a good grip on it when flying for marks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back