Preview Rd 8: v Demons @ Gabba Sat 12th May 4:35pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Plenty there last night guys. Ainsworth, Hall off HB, Martin, Ah Chee. You need to piss Clayton off but there are definitely signs, CommGames has done most of the damage.
Clayton’s already gone.
Paul Roos made a very good point in that the Suns as a young team are probably where Melbourne were 3 years ago. Talent mostly there but need to work on making it gel.

Plenty there last night guys. Ainsworth, Hall off HB, Martin, Ah Chee. You need to piss Clayton off but there are definitely signs, CommGames has done most of the damage.
Keep up buddy, Clayton was punted in November and we've known about the CommGames for years. Now we have a two thirds rebuilt list with a dozen injured players, 11 players with fewer than 10 games experience, 4 players in reserves coming back from injury and in order to field two full teams yesterday our Indigenous Liaison Officer, Eddie Sansbury, had to laceup for the Reserves.

But the cavalry is coming, with the Academy Series finished and up to 5 injured players will return over the next fortnight.

Keep up buddy, Clayton was punted in November and we've known about the CommGames for years. Now we have a two thirds rebuilt list with a dozen injured players, 11 players with fewer than 10 games experience, 4 players in reserves coming back from injury and in order to field two full teams yesterday our Indigenous Liaison Officer, Eddie Sansbury, had to laceup for the Reserves.

But the cavalry is coming, with the Academy Series finished and up to 5 injured players will return over the next fortnight.
I honestly didn't know he'd been sacked. Thank god. Deserved to be punted with McKenna.

Surprising anyone beats Melbourne with Lewis in the team.I wouldn't want to handle the ball after he's touched it.The umpires should be forced to carry disinfectant wipes in all his games.

I get the disappointment from fans tonight we've seen this performance so much over 7 years.
That's exactly what it is. Disappointment, and sheer frustration. 7 years on and we always seem to be still 2-3 years off whilst clubs rebuild and go past us consistently. I don't blame the players on the list and certainly don't blame Dew in any way, as he can only use the cattle that's been provided.
I know it's a rebuild & we are exactly where we should be, but frustrations and passion I have for the club can just boil over on match day.
25-30 picks in the first 2 rounds, 2 mini draft picks, home talent and 7 years later we have the worst midfield in the comp with star key position players wasting away.
It has been nothing short of a disaster the recruiting. That's behind us, I've vented and I won't be mentioning past mistakes again. But gee following this club can be draining. At least Ainsworth's 3rd quarter is giving me some hope.

Any want Hall back , I though he provide class playing Hb, Ainsworth is the x factor GC need in the middle. Need some upgrade Holman, Young just lack speed to close down opposition.

Any want Hall back , I though he provide class playing Hb, Ainsworth is the x factor GC need in the middle. Need some upgrade Holman, Young just lack speed to close down opposition.
Was interesting
Obviously they stacked our backline to try and weather the storm early robbing Peter to pay Paul with Hall May Ah Chee Thompson all down there
When it was painfully obvious we couldn't win a clearance they moved Hall into the mids with Ainsworth and we actually won some ball in the 3rd quarter
The problem then was no-one to kick it to so it was just coming straight back

Surprising anyone beats Melbourne with Lewis in the team.I wouldn't want to handle the ball after he's touched it.The umpires should be forced to carry disinfectant wipes in all his games.

I used to like Jordan Lewis until I met him in the virgin lounge in Alice springs after the game last year.. he was smug rude and cocky had no time for anyone bar the commentators

Anyone who wants to dump on the new Clubs should be more concerned about the 9k at spotless than the 6k at the River Sewer

I watched most of that game and I’d say 9k was very generous I’d say they included the security and catering staff in those numbers and I know giants give away a lot of aus kick tickets so probably at least 2k or more of those people are on free tickets

Lets be honest we are the prototype of what NOT to do when starting a new club.
Wrong. The Brisbane Bears were the prototype of what not to do. The then VFL awarded a licence to the West Coast Eagles, a group of millionaires with a once in a generation crop of awesome WA players and a decent venue, but because everybody hated the prospect of having a bye due to an uneven number of clubs, so they threw together the Brisbane Bears. First, they made every club give away 2 players and then signed a bunch of guys from the QAFL. They didn't have an appropriate ground to play at in Brisbane, so they chose Carrara Park. Skase put up those lights, for which the Suns have plenty to thank for, then he took every dollar he could scam and disappeared to Mallorca.

The Bears finished outside the finals in the first 8 seasons and were forced to merge with Fitzroy 1997. Meanwhile, over in WA, Fremantle were having a shot at being the "prototype of what NOT to do when starting a new club." West Coast had things stitched up with the AFL so Freo couldn't join the comp until 1995. They didn't make finals up 2003 in their 9th season and still haven't won a GF in 22 seasons.

Hawthorn were founded in 1915 and entered the VFL in 1925 and wouldn't win their first Grand Final until their 37th season. St Kilda were established in 1873 and didn't win their first and only GF until 1966 = 145 seasons of not winning the Grand Final. Footscray were founded in 1877, joined the VFL in 1925 and only have 2 Flags from 92 attempts.

There is no tried and true way of establishing a club. The AFL were able to rectify some of the Suns mistakes with GWS, but the Giants appear to be pissing a lot of the advantages down the toilet. GC17 could have been crashed by the Kangaroos and all their issues with shareholders and lack of fans. As it is, what the existence of the Suns has achieved is quite incredible : being the stadium tenant to justify the Commonwealth Games, securing a licence for a team in the AFLW, exponential increases in participation with girls and boys and especially women, the Talent Academy and the first team to play a home game for competition points in China.

Wrong. The Brisbane Bears were the prototype of what not to do. The then VFL awarded a licence to the West Coast Eagles, a group of millionaires with a once in a generation crop of awesome WA players and a decent venue, but because everybody hated the prospect of having a bye due to an uneven number of clubs, so they threw together the Brisbane Bears. First, they made every club give away 2 players and then signed a bunch of guys from the QAFL. They didn't have an appropriate ground to play at in Brisbane, so they chose Carrara Park. Skase put up those lights, for which the Suns have plenty to thank for, then he took every dollar he could scam and disappeared to Mallorca.
That was 30 years ago when players still had jobs, and recruiters had no idea.
This on the other hand should have been done so much better. We got it wrong in certain areas and let those mistakes fester for far too long.
A senior coach was desperately required and hard nosed administrators. Blight, Witheriff, Ashcroft, Clayton and Bluey....... Add some tin sheds, Karmichael Hunt and you ended up with a nightclub, not a footy club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That was 30 years ago when players still had jobs, and recruiters had no idea.
This on the other hand should have been done so much better. We got it wrong in certain areas and let those mistakes fester for far too long.
A senior coach was desperately required and hard nosed administrators. Blight, Witheriff, Ashcroft, Clayton and Bluey....... Add some tin sheds, Karmichael Hunt and you ended up with a nightclub, not a footy club.
My point it that it isn't easy to get success at a footy club. If we use the past 30 years of AFL as a measuring stick, the best expansion clubs are Brisbane and West Coast with 3 premierships each, but right now they are at opposite ends of the ladder. Adelaide has 2 Flags from 25 years, Port 1 from 20, while Sydney has 2 from 30.

The Demons beat us last night, but they haven't made finals in ages or won a Premiership since Barassi played for them, with the only 2 GFs they played were cakewalks. With this side they have beaten 4 of the bottom 5 sides and Norf, but lost 3 games against 3 of the top 5.

When the Suns came into the comp, it was the media who set everyone up to believe that the Suns and Giants would be winning Grand Finals within the first 5 seasons. GWS have come closer, but are regressing year, while we all know this is another rebuild year for the Suns. It isn't pretty and watching can be downright awful at times, but Dew has to get games into these players while also grooming his best 22. The talented little shits that were recruited first time, who left for bigger contracts have been moved on and their value was largely reinvested, some into new picks that will take years to mature and others that can play now.

I remain optimistic, but realistic about the process and the frustration. Unlike rich clubs that buy their way, at least we know that our fans have suffered and will deserve the success in the hereafter.

Are the other two blokes who touched umpires this weekend going to the judiciary as well or is this the usual VFL hatred of our club???
No decision has been made on the other players yet our match was done early

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back