Preview Rd1 - Carlton vs. Richmond - 7:20PM Thurs 23rd March @ MCG - Team post #1449

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of the kids on our list won't make it, that is a fact of list management. Cuningham for example, whilst he has impressive skills, is a long way from proving to be a long term player for us. He averages 10 disposals a game as a midfielder, I don't understand why so many think he should be an automatic selection. Playing a huge amount of youth sounds good but inevitably we would be giving games to those who won't make it, which is just as much of a waste as playing a guy like White, who the coaches know can play to the game plan and structure. Nothing wrong with making our young guys earn selection.

How do we know if they won't make it if we don't play them? We are playing players now we know aren't good enough. Been doing it for years

As for Cuningham the guy has played 3 games. I can't believe people bring up stats after 3 games. How was Simmo going at that stage?

At least he is a chance for the future and needs a fair go.

Also no one has ever said play them ALL but there are definitely players that should be playing this week ahead of a few spuds that have done nothing at senior level and have proved they have no future

It's a Rebuild

Pretty happy with the side. Lots of competitors. Rowe getting flack but he is needed, big body that helps others stand taller. Lamb is workhorse that creates goals too, nice user of the ball too. And enough kids in without going overboard and setting ourselves up for an uncompetitive game.
SOS, SPS, Weiters, Charlie, Marchy, Plow, Pickett and Macreadie an emergency yet people are complaining ffs
Not to mention tough calls made on kerro and palmer.
We need a competitive VFL team to help grow our list and that is just as important.

Bring on both games!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Nowhere near as strange as those who think we should go "all in" with youth. Structures can fall apart pretty quickly with too much inexperience out there, there is a tipping point. You may not mind us copping a humiliating thumping but plenty will and it adds unnecessary pressure on our coach to achieve our long term objectives.

Totally disagree with this statement. There is heaps of experience and no one is saying play a team of 18 year olds.

We have a group of experienced players that are best 22 and should be in the side. What is frustrating is a group of players that aren't AFL level getting games ahead of talented kids. I'm not sure how they help us get more wins or help with better performances?

Get a group of enthusiastic talented kids mixed in with Murphy Gibbs Cripps Kruezer Curnow Docherty Rowe Simpson and watch our performances improve. This is a club that has struggled with average mature players for years. An injection of exciting young talent is just what we need.

Ok first glance at the team I thought wooo same old shit.

But at least SPS inclusion gives me a smile. Pickett and Marchbank were expected.

My dream would have been Rowe out for Alex Silvagni or Macredie. LeBois in for Lamb. As critical as I am of Kerridge would rather him in than Thomas.

The Rowe and White ins bother me, but im not surprised.

I have no idea why Thomas and Lamb get a run after their showing in JLT. Nothing last year made them a lock best 22..... odd.

What's happened to Sumner??
So a back line of M'Bank and Macreadie, or Weiters and Macreadie? A bit inexperienced maybe?

14 pages of whinging about the team sheet. What a waste of my last hour. Please people just ****ing enjoy the game. Thomas has been talked up by Bolton all week. Expect something will happen here. Lamb probably has a very different role then what he's been given in JLT. Weitering will play forward. I'm bloody excited. Bring on tomorrow night.

Stupid comparison. SPS has more talent than anyone. The question should is Cuningham a better future prospect than Thomas Lamb or Armfield? IMO both should be playing

Obviously.

You go on about Cuningham like he's the second-coming, but until he starts commanding games, he sits in that 20-30 group of players picked. Currently he just isn't good enough to get a game and he's not knocking down the door with his performances.

It's his own fault if he isn't selected and he isn't getting games ahead of those you've mentioned because he's not doing anything to oust them from positions - plus, he doesn't play the same role.

He needs a string of strong VFL performances and when he gets to AFL level to really cement a spot and show he's more than just another contributor sitting in the pool of average-good players, which we have enough of.

Happens every season. It's "play all of the young ones but still win"
RnhWJcb.gif

What happens when we play all the experienced players and still lose? :huh:

You go on about Cuningham like he's the second-coming, but until he starts commanding games, he sits in that 20-30 group of players picked. Currently he just isn't good enough to get a game and he's not knocking down the door with his performances.

Not good enough on performances but Thomas Lamb Armfield Have been?

It's a rebuild. Has SPS commanded a game? No but should play because we are rebuilding and it's about the future not the now

(Log in to remove this ad.)

14 pages of whinging about the team sheet. What a waste of my last hour. Please people just ******* enjoy the game. Thomas has been talked up by Bolton all week. Expect something will happen here. Lamb probably has a very different role then what he's been given in JLT. Weitering will play forward. I'm bloody excited. Bring on tomorrow night.
They'll never please everyone. Not a whole lot of point worrying about who missed out now - surely it's better to focus on those in the team for tomorrow night.

I think that is absolute BS. It's a tough sport. The tough kids learn, stand up, grit their teeth and get better. I thought a key criteria in our recruiting was character? Certainly hasn't hurt GWS who copped some amazing belting in their first 2 years and then as soon as they got the 40-50 games experience took off. Our kids need games. Playing older average players achieves nothing positive for the now or the future. It's that simple

GWS have the oldest list in the competition. A competition they've only been in for five years.

The reason theyre not copping hidings while the Suns still are is largely for this very reason.

Surprised lamb gets picked before kerridge. Even if kerridge play lanbs role I feel he would do a better job. Happy to be proven wrong though and the club knows better than me

That midfield will get slaughtered. Not enough rotations to run out four quarters and carrying too many talls.

Richmond by 23 points.
It's about as good as anything we put up last year.

All these guys can/will roll through the middle:

Cripps
Gibbs
Murphy
E. Curnow
SPS
Wright
Smedts
C. Curnow
Lamb
Thomas
Simmo
Kreuzer (will ruck most of the game and is effectively another inside mid)
Pickett (few mins here or there)

It's a rebuild. Has SPS commanded a game? No but should play because we are rebuilding and it's about the future not the now

On performances, they're about equal if not those senior guys just shading him. He really needed to do more in the JLT, which would have got him a spot for Round 1.

You have to balance the now with the future and not take that banal dichotomous stance that got us and Melbourne into a lot of trouble through the tumultuous times. We're doing the best we can to create a balanced team that's going to make the most of what we've got while providing good young players the opportunity to perform.

I'm not even certain Cuningham will be a long-term player, as he really hasn't shown much and for the type of player he is, just isn't productive enough at AFL level. You don't just play young blokes for the hell of playing them.

The usual "we traded them in, so we'll play them until everyone except us knows it was a mistake".

Still glass half full. Special Patrol Squad and Pickett are welcome additions.

They'll never please everyone. Not a whole lot of point worrying about who missed out now - surely it's better to focus on those in the team for tomorrow night.

Depends upon your perspective. I'm about No 17, not one single game

Beating an average Richmond side tomorrow (although nice) with an average side doesn't excite me too much.

What happens if we get thrashed? What was the point?

However if SPS is BOG with Charlie & Cripps dominating the middle and Pickett & Weitering kick 8 goals between them I may have another perspective

The usual "we traded them in, so we'll play them until everyone except us knows it was a mistake".

Still glass half full. Special Patrol Squad and Pickett are welcome additions.

What?

We play them until we know which ones best fit into a structure. Plowman is a clear best 22 player, Sumner maybe, Lamb probably not but gets opportunity through lack of depth, Phillips is injured, Kerridge didn't make the squad which is progress.

I can't see Marchbank or Pickett turning out to be mistakes and Smedts plays a role few plays can.

Yeah i know your right i would have liked to see Cuningham atleast maybe macreadie as well . I get the frustration but its a long season some of the oldies will do the hard yards early then some of the younguns filter in for 12 to 15 games to replace a few .

People advocating more youngsters are forgetting your last point i think...it's very unlikely our youngsters can play all 22 games in their first year in particular...maybe even second. Guys like Cripps and Weitering are the exception, not the rule.

So it's fine that we don't have more youngsters in round 1...i'm sure Macreadie, Cuningham etc will get their chance later in the season and hopefully play around 10-15 games.

I'm not even certain Cuningham will be a long-term player, as he really hasn't shown much and for the type of player he is, just isn't productive enough at AFL level. You don't just play young blokes for the hell of playing them.

He has 3 games. Three! We don't know how good he is but we do know there are players in the side that are definitely NOT the future

So if you don't just play kids for the hell of playing them do you play mature players that are no good for the hell of playing them?

If we had been at every practice and inter club we would know the answer (I get the feeling he has). They play as much a part of selection as limited minutes in the JLTs.

Lets wait till we actually have a some idea on who is performing to before we decide who shouldn't be in the side.

It is not going to hurt Cuningham to rack up 30 possessions in the 2s. If he can't do that he shouldn't be in the 1sts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back