Preview Rd7 Carlton v St.Kilda Monday 14th May 7.40pm @ Etihad - Final Team - post #282

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Rd. 7 St.Kilda v Carlton Monday 14th. May 7.40pm @ Etihad

IN: Waite, Judd, Curnow, Yarran
OUT: Russell, Joseph, Bootsma, Ellard/Armfield (inj?)

People just see what they want to see, and unfortunately Jordan Russell will always be a victim of that.

Russell was one of our better players today.

Although Bower was reasonable today I would still select Thornton ahead of him because he can play forward or back if needed. Yeah Bower kicked a running goal today but is all at sea when he is up forward.

Hard to disagree with this, but Ratten really wants to give Bower every chance, it seems.

We need a solid 4 qtr effort on Monday night. No more expecting things to just happen time to go out there and work hard and win every qtr.

Changes I'd be making are:

Out - Russell, Thornton, Touhy, Bootsma and/or Lucas. Earlier I was leaning towards wanting to give Garlett a spell because I thought his attitude at times today was poor, but his speed will be needed against the Saints and Lucas didn't really do anything special.

Ins - Judd, Waite, Yarran, Curnow and wouldn't mind seeing Kerr get a game but if not then keep Bootsma or Lucas.

Looks like the best balance although Thornton would be unlucky to miss out.

He would be really unlucky but it can only be a good thing if players in ok form miss out. .. Not sure he gets much credit for some of the 1% things he does, like running to support, long leads, taps to advantage and creating a contest bt it's about team balance. ..

Earlier I was leaning towards wanting to give Garlett a spell because I thought his attitude at times today was poor, but his speed will be needed against the Saints and Lucas didn't really do anything special.

While I agree that his speed will be an asset, he looked disinterested and created some heavy angst with some mini-Richo moment at one point. .. I'd give him a spell and reward Joseph/Army with the small forward role (whichever is not picking up Milne). .. OR better yet make Garlett play on Milne. .. ;)

Well, I don't think we really learned too much from that GWS game.

It won't be as much chopping and changing players, as it will for us to bring the right attitude to the game.

We'll clearly have Judd, Waite, Yarran and Curnow back.
Shame Bootsma won't last another game just yet and I think we may just have a surprise omission next week.

So who would be the surprise omission Harks

Army did a really good job on Scully today, so be unlikely to drop him. Probably drop Ellard before Army to bring Curnow back in

Reckon T-Bird will get the axe for Waite. While he's a better swingman than Bower, Bower does provide more run out of the backline than T-Bird.

JR or Duigan or AJ for Yazz? JR was a little bit all over the shop in the first half, but he got a lot of the ball, and in the second half was a lot better by hand / foot. Be harsh to drop him before Duigan or AJ. Would drop AJ for mine, but Duigs hasn't got his 2011 form back yet.

And Bootsma for Judd, although he did remind me of Napoleon Dynamite and almost keep him in for that.

No brainer ins Judd, Waite, Yarran. In if fit Curnow. Thats it.

Outs, would be staggered if Thornton is dropped after being the leading scorer on the field today. Also doubt Garlett would be dropped despite only scoring one in the dying minutes. In fact, I cant imagine any player that has played all year will be dropped and more likely it will be the players that came in this week. So Ellard, Joseph, Bootsma will struggle to hold. And the 4th player will be stiff is Curnow comes up. Maybe he wont and 3 changes would do it. About the only caveat to that is who the MC decide they would like to send to Milne.

At the end of the day we held them scoreless in the last whilst kicking the lazy 6 to make the scoresheet look somewhere reflecting the ends of the ladder the 2 teams occupy. Feel the entire team was resting one way or another this round and you cant blame them for that. An 11 goal win is about par. Perhaps we should have had or could have had a 15 goal win, but really what difference does it make? We have the second best percentage and the best defensive results in the comp (and second best offensive) so not much to worry about all round really.

Russell was better than heaps of players.
Tuohy or Duigan should be out before him.

Disappointed in Tuohy's last few games. Hasn't shown the run and carry he's capable of, and has fumbled a lot. May need a run in the 2's to get some confidence back. But then who do you replace him with?

When Duigan gets hold of the pill he usually does something constructive with it, but just lately he hasn't got enough of it. Gets caught alot. Needs to get more possession and create run. Not sure whether he's suited to his present positiion?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought Ellard did a reasonable job on Ward. Armfield's pace is down since he hurt his knee against the Pies. We really need to see him do some damage on the burst, not just negate a player. Lucas is the worry for me. So bloody soft at the contest which is disappointing. We need someone to extract the bloody ball from the stoppages. We were smashed in the clearances and humilitaed by a team playing only their 6th game. Might need to bring Brock Back. Small ground could suit him.

coz reiwoldt will run him into the ground next week
Doubt that only one of Jamo or Hendo will be on him the whole game. Also Hendo destroyed him last year.

surely Lucas has to go. I'm worried about this guy. Lacks intensity and hardness. Woeful against Essendon; particularly at chasing down-just flew the white flag.

Today, had the sit in the pocket didn't get near it. Waite would have pulverised the guy in front. Coaching staff should be challenging him to get better.

Thought Ellard did a reasonable job on Ward. Armfield's pace is down since he hurt his knee against the Pies. We really need to see him do some damage on the burst, not just negate a player. Lucas is the worry for me. So bloody soft at the contest which is disappointing. We need someone to extract the bloody ball from the stoppages. We were smashed in the clearances and humilitaed by a team playing only their 6th game. Might need to bring Brock Back. Small ground could suit him.

When will people realise Brock is not the answer. Full stop. Ahmen.

The form of the players being discussed is important, but the match ups are equally important. I think there is a group of players that are going to find themselves being rotated often irrespective of form (unless their form is extreme one way or the other). For St Kilda Game:
Bower seems an ideal match up for Rhys Stanley.
AJ did the job against Ballantyne, and I would put him on the out of form Milne
2E to stay in and go to Jack Steven (kid can pay and is dangerous around goals)

In:
Judd, Curnow, Yarren, Waite

Out:
Bootsma - Ratten has already flagged it
Ellard - midfield has to much depth
Lucas - hasn't been physical enough, and this will be a physical game.
Thornton - can't play both him and Bower

Imagine trying to do the selections if Laidler and Carazzo were available!

Imagine trying to do the selections if Laidler and Carazzo were available!

I can't wait. It will be a great problem to have. We have been desperately missing Carazzo's intent in the mid.

He would be really unlucky but it can only be a good thing if players in ok form miss out. .. Not sure he gets much credit for some of the 1% things he does, like running to support, long leads, taps to advantage and creating a contest bt it's about team balance. ..

While I agree that his speed will be an asset, he looked disinterested and created some heavy angst with some mini-Richo moment at one point. .. I'd give him a spell and reward Joseph/Army with the small forward role (whichever is not picking up Milne). .. OR better yet make Garlett play on Milne. .. ;)

Play Joseph in the forward line and play Garlett on Milne?? The two most ridiculous things I have read today.

Hope Thornton retains his place. Not the greatest forward but has good hands and offers a contest. Think the Saints have some worries if we can line up like this:

HF: Walker Waite Garlett
FF: Betts Hampson Thornton
Thornton was named in the best, why would he be dropped? Ratten spewed on fringe players that failed to cement a spot, drop them. I think he was talking on how Bower, Russell, Joseph, Ellard and even Armfield by the looks of that. I also think Duigan been very lucky with injury list we have, needs a a real kick in the bum.

http://www.sportal.com.au/afl-news-display/fringe-players-frustrate-ratten-175202

IN: Judd Waite Yarran Curnow
OUT: Bootsma Ellard Russell Joseph

Should win this one, albeit against a side that's had the wood over us in recent years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back