RDFL Thread 2011 (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In relation to the Cousins discussion: with the exposure it will bring to the RDFL, does anyone honestly believe that it will not be showcased on a Sunday? When the date is decided, I'm sure the league will pull rank and get the board to approve the Sunday game regardless of an opposition not wanting to. As for compo for having to play on a Sunday, you have to be kidding. It is a Romsey home game and they have done the work to pull this off.[/quote]

what if the club has a function on the sat night and lose money over the bar because footballers and netballers have to play on the Sunday and wont drink is that fair?

[/QUOTE]what if the club has a function on the sat night and lose money over the bar because footballers and netballers have to play on the Sunday and wont drink is that fair?[/QUOTE]

Yes Woodend have their major function on the Saturday night of the weekend in question, but there we go assuming that Woodend are the lucky side that get to participate in this match.

I am sure that whoever the Redbacks play against on that weekend will be more than happy to do so. Not many people get to say they played against Ben Cousins.

And Norman. I needed to indulge in another latte on the Mighty Swan River as I spat my mouthful out when your dulcet tones came over the air. Love ya pal.

For a start half the side doesnt want to play on sunday (nor should they have to), And one of the most exiting games?, surely ur getting a bit too exited there pal.:eek:
Sprechen obviously you represent the Woodend FC, it is disapointing to hear that half the side do not want to play on a Sunday on this exciting day,i would have thought that the media coverage the WFC had received over the last week and the media coverage to come, would have filled your club with excitement, I represent the RFC on this topic and will commence talks with other clubs today who may want to be a part of this event. We look forward to our encounter sat week, enjoy the sabbath!

Just wondering from the public out there on who everyone thinks are the most under rated players currently playing in the rdfl. God knows there are alot. I'd like to cast my vote and say Thomas Mainey from Rockbank

I think you'll find that Tom is a respected player amongst the other clubs, is regularly spoken about as a key player on here and in the record and is also often chosen to try out for the interleague team.

There are a lot of players that fly under the radar and I recognise all of the names mentioned so far so wouldn't say any of them are 'under rated' as it were.

This will go on for an eternity.. the Macedon Ranges Shire won't issue a permit to any club in its area.. the Melton Shire won't budge.. the only clubs effected will be those in Sunbury which in insight, isn't a problem now anyway because they've got their hands on a permit and they can take gatetakings for every home game for the rest of the year at Boardman (so can Woodend on Saturday) and they are in line to host a final.. the Roos are safe for the next two years.. as for juniors.. I'm not sure if Rupertswood have stepped up yet and the Sunbury Lions juniors have.. this will impact junior finals..
Bring on the weekend that Cousins' plays.. explosive action on Saturday and Sunday of that round on Highlands FM.. have to love it!!

Chris, the issue isn't getting this permit now.. Forget about that, or what the other councils say "now".. Down the track this is all about the money... It's all good for now, but this issue if not sorted now, this time around, will rear it's ugly head again eventually... I just cannot understand how people in our league, even though not directly affected, are not OUTRAGED at the course of action that the Council is taking, I know I am and if the Kangaroos and Lions think that getting a permit now is going to solve the problem they are greatly mistaken.... This will come up again, so we should ALL be taking a stand right now for the future...

What happens if another situation happens like this week?? Woodend don't have the permit, so are they allowed to charge??? The juniors and seniors want to host a final, but they hold the permit, not the league, and the league is charging the gate, so what happens there??? This isn't done by a long shot, don't let it be swept under the carpet, it is a long term bullet for us all........... :mad:

I think you'll find that Tom is a respected player amongst the other clubs, is regularly spoken about as a key player on here and in the record and is also often chosen to try out for the interleague team.

There are a lot of players that fly under the radar and I recognise all of the names mentioned so far so wouldn't say any of them are 'under rated' as it were.

I tend to agree, most of the names listed I wouldn't have as underrated.. The only one named so far that I can see would be Glenn Robertson who is most definitely underrated...

My list would read.

Cam Casson (Riddell) - Can win the hard ball and also win it outside, can be very dangerous for an opposition side if not pressured.

Jake Powell (Sunbury) - I rate Jake as one of the best half backs in the competition, he can lock down while still providing drive and has a booming left foot. If he is racking them up, Sunbury is at it's best.

Brenton Sutherland (Sunbury) - So much talent and still learning, in any other side in the competition he would be the number 1 ruckman.

Matt Leonard (Sunbury) - For someone so tall his biggest asset is he is more mobile than he seems and is one of the cleanest players below his knees in the competition.

Nathan Jackal (Rockbank) - Everyone sees him as a bloke who is quick and hard at it, but he offers much more, reads the ball extremely well, has great skills and can run and carry. He is rated, but not for the reasons he should be.

Phil Romeril (Romsey) - Has an excellent motor and physically is as good as anyone, had the pleasure of witnessing him close up this year and he is a quality young footballer.

Glen Caton (Lancefield) - Quality small who would be one of the most dangerous small forwards running around in one of the top teams.

Jono O'Brien (Melton Centrals) - Has a huge future, has played in the ruck this year, as a 6 footer and done it superbly, gets around the ground really well, uses the ball well, strong overhead and a fantastic work ethic, the type of kid that Centrals can build around.

Will possibly add a few as I think of them, can remember these off the top of my head though...

Just want to say a big thank you to everyone that came down to support the boys last night in the Interleague game.

Congratulations to the boys that represented the league with pride and discipline in the face of what must have been frustrating tactics. Unfortunately after controlling the game for most of the night, the boys fell by 2 points in a really exciting game. With 75% of the squad being bottom age, the Under 18 interleague program has an exciting future... :thumbsu:

Most importantly a huge thanks to everyone who gave me a hand on short notice. Doona, Rob, Gary and Thommo were fantastic support right throughout what was an extremely challenging program at times... So couldn't thank you guys enough!!!

Look forward to a better prepared and exciting program in 2012!!! :thumbsu:

I tend to agree, most of the names listed I wouldn't have as underrated.. The only one named so far that I can see would be Glenn Robertson who is most definitely underrated...

My list would read.

Cam Casson (Riddell) - Can win the hard ball and also win it outside, can be very dangerous for an opposition side if not pressured.

Jake Powell (Sunbury) - I rate Jake as one of the best half backs in the competition, he can lock down while still providing drive and has a booming left foot. If he is racking them up, Sunbury is at it's best.

Brenton Sutherland (Sunbury) - So much talent and still learning, in any other side in the competition he would be the number 1 ruckman.

Matt Leonard (Sunbury) - For someone so tall his biggest asset is he is more mobile than he seems and is one of the cleanest players below his knees in the competition.

Nathan Jackal (Rockbank) - Everyone sees him as a bloke who is quick and hard at it, but he offers much more, reads the ball extremely well, has great skills and can run and carry. He is rated, but not for the reasons heo should be.

Phil Romeril (Romsey) - Has an excellent motor and physically is as good as anyone, had the pleasure of witnessing him close up this year and he is a quality young footballer.

Glen Caton (Lancefield) - Quality small who would be one of the most dangerous small forwards running around in one of the top teams.

Jono O'Brien (Melton Centrals) - Has a huge future, has played in the ruck this year, as a 6 footer and done it superbly, gets around the ground really well, uses the ball well, strong overhead and a fantastic work ethic, the type of kid that Centrals can build around.

Will possibly add a few as I think of them, can remember these off the top of my head though...

Great read, if these players are under rated who are the stars in this comp in your eyes, seen some really good players this year.

Great read, if these players are under rated who are the stars in this comp in your eyes, seen some really good players this year.

This is always a tough one because you leave blokes out and they get dirty.. haha... I will leave out Romsey players for obvious reasons...

Dylan Wright (Sunbury) - Cops a bit of stick for his attitude but the kid is seriously talented, finds space with his pace and uses the ball brilliantly, especially around goal.

Jamie Cuffe (Sunbury) - I know that Omni said he was underrated, but surely there would not be a side that goes into a game knowing that you need to stop Cuffey's marking and ruck work around the ground if you want to beat the Roos.

Shaun Sims (Diggers) - The best leader in the competition backs it up with his ability to consistently find the footy everywhere on the ground.

Peter Robertson (Riddell) - He is a jet, and clearly the best Robertson in the competition. Nuff said.

James Wright (Macedon) - Someone said he is underrated, but his work ethic and skills make him the standout player at the Cats.

Nathan Jackal (Rockbank) - See reasons in underrated post.

Matt Robertson (Wallan) - He is the barometer for Wallan, if his head is in the game and he is on, look out opposition sides.

Shane Jacobs (Kilmore) - Again, the barometer of Kilmore, his output can determine the result.

Apologies to the remaining clubs, when we are talking the best players in the competition that I have seen this year, It's hard to nominate, but Ross Waters (Woodend) and Grant Wearne (Broadford) would be the two closest to this group.

Chris, the issue isn't getting this permit now.. Forget about that, or what the other councils say "now".. Down the track this is all about the money... It's all good for now, but this issue if not sorted now, this time around, will rear it's ugly head again eventually... I just cannot understand how people in our league, even though not directly affected, are not OUTRAGED at the course of action that the Council is taking, I know I am and if the Kangaroos and Lions think that getting a permit now is going to solve the problem they are greatly mistaken.... This will come up again, so we should ALL be taking a stand right now for the future...

What happens if another situation happens like this week?? Woodend don't have the permit, so are they allowed to charge??? The juniors and seniors want to host a final, but they hold the permit, not the league, and the league is charging the gate, so what happens there??? This isn't done by a long shot, don't let it be swept under the carpet, it is a long term bullet for us all........... :mad:

I'm with you 1000% on this Gav.. I look at the domino affect that it has on the state of Victoria on the basis that gate charges are waved for good.. RDFL reduces league fees, RDFL get more money from AFL Victoria to cover cost it lost from reducing fees, AFL Victoria go to the government to get funds to give to the RDFL to cover the RDFL clubs and those funds come from the tax that we pay, so ultimately.. we all still pay anyway.. in the long run, it will mean extinction to many clubs and the league.. worst case scenario.. i hope the Macedon Ranges Shire maintain their stance and other Shires follow.. its amazing how big of an impact from a small group of people within a club can ruin it.. its amazing how some small minded people can cause a big impact at their club!
I only put those points up there to pin point what is being done in the short term.. tie a few loose ends up.. I'll be following this up and keeping my finger on the pulse until it sorts itself out..

I'm with you 1000% on this Gav.. I look at the domino affect that it has on the state of Victoria on the basis that gate charges are waved for good.. RDFL reduces league fees, RDFL get more money from AFL Victoria to cover cost it lost from reducing fees, AFL Victoria go to the government to get funds to give to the RDFL to cover the RDFL clubs and those funds come from the tax that we pay, so ultimately.. we all still pay anyway.. in the long run, it will mean extinction to many clubs and the league.. worst case scenario.. i hope the Macedon Ranges Shire maintain their stance and other Shires follow.. its amazing how big of an impact from a small group of people within a club can ruin it.. its amazing how some small minded people can cause a big impact at their club!
I only put those points up there to pin point what is being done in the short term.. tie a few loose ends up.. I'll be following this up and keeping my finger on the pulse until it sorts itself out..
I think the League should take out the permits with the council, the council should also support the league as clubs do a service for the community, it keeps the kids of the streets and kids learn about something which is lacking in society today RESPECT!

Clearly the gate is perceived to be an invaluable source of income to football clubs, probably more so country or rural clubs as opposed to metropolitan leagues. The metro leagues don't charge a gate.
I offer a devils advocate argument to this issue for discussion and understand there are so many different elements to it so no right or wrong views. Having coached before one thing that annoyed me as a coach is that today it is a players market and the opportunity for players to hold clubs to ransom for $50 here and there is a frustrating situation for many clubs and it appears that success in country footy now adays in a majority of situations is simple not the best team, or the best coached team, it is the team that can ruffle the most talent together thanks to $$$. You could build a great junior program and get 3 or 4years of games into a young list then have another club come along with the cash and go bang and win the flag you have built toward for years doing it the "RIGHT WAY".
If noone could collect gate, the main impact would be on football budgets, match payments etc, so match payments come down for all clubs across Victoria and players have to start to play more for the club of their choice for the right reasons as opposed to the monetary reasons.
COuld this be a positive impact of this issue or do people think it would have no impact on controlling match payments etc? As I say just a view from a different angle, just interested in peoples thoughts.......

Clearly the gate is perceived to be an invaluable source of income to football clubs, probably more so country or rural clubs as opposed to metropolitan leagues. The metro leagues don't charge a gate.
I offer a devils advocate argument to this issue for discussion and understand there are so many different elements to it so no right or wrong views. Having coached before one thing that annoyed me as a coach is that today it is a players market and the opportunity for players to hold clubs to ransom for $50 here and there is a frustrating situation for many clubs and it appears that success in country footy now adays in a majority of situations is simple not the best team, or the best coached team, it is the team that can ruffle the most talent together thanks to $$$. You could build a great junior program and get 3 or 4years of games into a young list then have another club come along with the cash and go bang and win the flag you have built toward for years doing it the "RIGHT WAY".
If noone could collect gate, the main impact would be on football budgets, match payments etc, so match payments come down for all clubs across Victoria and players have to start to play more for the club of their choice for the right reasons as opposed to the monetary reasons.
COuld this be a positive impact of this issue or do people think it would have no impact on controlling match payments etc? As I say just a view from a different angle, just interested in peoples thoughts.......
Greenvale and Marbo dont take a gate, your right but they spend over $300 K every year on players, so whats your next point?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's correct, the EDFL don't charge a gate, but only because they are unable to, no fencing makes it too difficult.. But what those metro leagues do have is access to hundreds of thousands of dollars in sponsorship that just isn't available to the clubs in the RDFL...

The gate to these games don't and won't cover the costs of fielding a team for the year, there are only 9 home games. It helps with the day to day running costs of the club over a 12 month period. I know of a Melbourne amateur club that gets over $200k in sponsorship from only 8 sponsors. As slyone said, Greenvale and marby park are paying over 300k for their team. If our clubs don't throw a little to the players, they will go elsewhere and the comp drops off.

Sprechen obviously you represent the Woodend FC, it is disapointing to hear that half the side do not want to play on a Sunday on this exciting day,i would have thought that the media coverage the WFC had received over the last week and the media coverage to come, would have filled your club with excitement, I represent the RFC on this topic and will commence talks with other clubs today who may want to be a part of this event. We look forward to our encounter sat week, enjoy the sabbath!
Wrong Sly I dont represent them I support them. Just telling you what ive been told. Im sure the representatives you have spoken to have told you their thoughts and feelings ( if indeed you have spoken to them ).

Wrong Sly I dont represent them I support them. Just telling you what ive been told. Im sure the representatives you have spoken to have told you their thoughts and feelings ( if indeed you have spoken to them ).

I doubt there would have been any discussions as the day is still waiting confirmation...

I seriously doubt that the game would be held against Woodend now though, clearly there is obstacles for the Hawks and they would rather not be involved...

Would make it impossible for their plan to have him play finals though wouldnt it?, or could it be against centrals this week, or is it possible to reverse an away fixture?

YOur right guys, you actually can go around in circles looking at the issue from all different angles. I am aware of what the EDFL and metro's pay players and agree the positive they have whilst not chargeing a gate is the greater access to sponsorship etc. As I said, just throwing a different angle out there.

Would make it impossible for their plan to have him play finals though wouldnt it?, or could it be against centrals this week, or is it possible to reverse an away fixture?
word on the street is he is going to play one game in round 17 against macedon

Just wondering from the public out there on who everyone thinks are the most under rated players currently playing in the rdfl. God knows there are alot. I'd like to cast my vote and say Thomas Mainey from Rockbank

Also Benjamin Yeates from Rockbank.

The experience, strength, dedication and hunger he displays is phenomenal.

I doubt there would have been any discussions as the day is still waiting confirmation...

I seriously doubt that the game would be held against Woodend now though, clearly there is obstacles for the Hawks and they would rather not be involved...

as a senior coach in this leauge i would have loved the chance for my young side to play on the big day in front of a big crowd, the experience they would gain from it would be priceless.

as a senior coach in this leauge i would have loved the chance for my young side to play on the big day in front of a big crowd, the experience they would gain from it would be priceless.

The discussions last night revolved around who would be the most suitable opponent for the game, I believe, and think that many at Romsey believe that Lancefield would be the best opponent for the game. The Tigers are having a rough year, but they have a young side laden with talent, and most of all to their credit, they fought really hard to ensure that they could field a side this year when at times they were facing real dangers. With the game being too difficult for Woodend, the options are Lancefield and Macedon for the game unless a side that is willing to switch a home game puts their hand up. I for one after coaching some of the young men that represent Lancefield in the Interleague game, would love nothing more than to see that young group of players have the opportunity to play in that game, it would be fantastic for the entire group in my opinion to not only play in a game with Cousins involved, but to play in front of a crowd that size. Would be an experience that would be tough to top for an entire career!!!

It's also good to see a coach from the competition put his hand up and say that he would love for his side to gain the experience from a game like this.. Well done...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back