RDFL Thread 2011 (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: RDFL Season Round 7

Massive week of games this week in the RDFL.... :thumbsu:

Woodend/Hesket Vs Kilmore
Who could forget the final round of last year at Woodend, the Hawks, out of the finals race and looking to finish on a high, defeated Kilmore in the dying minutes to not only notch up the win, but send Kilmore tumbling from the top 6 and out of the finals.
That result alone should make for an excellent game at Gilbert Gordon. The Hawks are always a tougher proposition at home and while it seems that last weeks loss has put them out of the race for 6th spot, they are sure to be pumped for a game they would give themselves every chance in. The most impressive thing for the Hawks is the young kids that have pushed into the senior side, youth can always add a spark and these kids are impressive players.
The Blues are not to be outdone though and have plenty of impressive youngsters in their own right, with last weeks win they have put themselves back in the race for 6th spot, no doubt, the Gordon Brothers have had an impact on the line up and added new spark to Shane Jacobs.
Will this week see the Blues stake their claim on that elusive 6th spot on the RDFL ladder, or will it be the Hawks stomping on their finals dreams again?
Tip: Kilmore by 12 points.

Romsey Vs Diggers Rest
Tip: Romsey to win

Rockbank Vs Lancefield
The Rams have been one of the talking points in recent weeks with 3 huge performances against highly rated opponents. Last week they came from a long way down against Diggers to go down by a narrow margin. Much has depended on the midfield winning first use of the football and with a new structure they have given many sides a run for their money. Unfortunately for the Rams it looks as though they may lose young gun Leigh Sobotnicki for this weeks games to the TAC, so good luck to Leigh.
The Tigers are having a very tough year, but they do have some very good youngsters coming into the side from the 18's. They pushed Kilmore right to the last quarter last week which has to be a positive for the young Tigers.
Tip: Rockbank by 40 points

Wallan Vs Riddell
The Magpies were able to hold off the Hawks in a tight game last week and head into this game with confidence. Dave Cornish is in good form as is Shannon Galea. This is a tough game for the Magpies, but at home, will be confident of giving the Bombers a shake.
The Bombers are just coming together nicely. Baird and Mick Allen returned last week and with Grant Puxley and Brian Ruffell not too far away, they are close to putting their best side on the park (minus Matt Sammut). The Bombers are still a classy outfit and will be looking to position themselves for a shot at the top 3.
Tip: Riddell by 28 points

Broadford Vs Melton Centrals
This could be classified as one of the match of the round candidates.
Of what I saw in the first half on the weekend, the Broadford side is improving every week. Especially solid around the clearances and ball movement around the ground, they let themselves down though with the way they went inside 50 and poor kicking at goal. Duggan and Coomans were great around the middle of the ground, while Gillard was solid across the half back line. They do need more from Wearne, Littlewood and some accuracy from Ingham and they will be right in this contest.
Centrals are suffering terribly through injury at the moment but gave everything in the 2nd half against Sunbury. Kane Bullen was at his best while Tim O'Brien and Jono O'Brien were great around the ground. The smaller Broadford ground will suit Centrals as they should be able to close it down. Brett Payne will be the key for them up forward.
Tip: Broadford by 10 points.

Match of the Round
Sunbury Kangaroos Vs Macedon
With the race for the Top 5 spots looking very very tight, this game shapes as a season breaker for both sides.
The Kangaroos are looking to settle after a couple of weeks of distractions, last week they just couldn't break the game open in the second half against a desperate Centrals but in the end, they got the job done, just what they needed to do. Meacham was in good touch up forward while McGovern and Tie Cuffe were superb on the ball. The contested and physical nature of last weeks game certainly wont do them any harm in the lead up to this game either. The Roos had a number of players missing in last weeks game, Jamie Cuffe, Joeb Ploog and Mark McInerney to name just a few, so they would be hoping that they are able to return, while John Baker kicked a bag full in the Reserves, meaning a start this week wouldn't be out of the question.
The Cats would be disappointed with the result last week, but will no doubt bounce back, a couple of injuries prior to the game and a couple in the first half had them on the back foot. The Cats have plenty of class all over the ground and will look to build an attack from the half back line through Dettman and Co. If they can get outside and running, they are always hard to peg back. Hopefully this week will see the return of Ash Fleming and Jason Davies to sure them up.
This will no doubt be a cracking contest and well and truly worthy of the match of the round. One of these two sides will fall a game behind the pace, who will it be?
Tip: Sunbury Kangaroos by 10 points
What happened at selection the other night ?,Poor young fella missed out again.What about sharing the experience around to the ones that missed out first game.Bit strange me thinks.

Mighty Hawks by 31 over Kilmore today, young fellas stood up over more mature opponents. Jayco and the rest were outshone by the lesserlikes today. Goes to show that selfish footy can't win you the 4 points.:thumbsu:

Mighty Hawks by 31 over Kilmore today, young fellas stood up over more mature opponents. Jayco and the rest were outshone by the lesserlikes today. Goes to show that selfish footy can't win you the 4 points.:thumbsu:

Any results for the Sunbury v Macedon game, it's not on the rdfl website, wondering if it lived up to it's match of the day billing.

Any results for the Sunbury v Macedon game, it's not on the rdfl website, wondering if it lived up to it's match of the day billing.

Macedon have come back down to Earth suddenly.

After last weeks lame disrespectful comments in the local paper by coach Meldrum that injuries cost Macedon the game against Romsey ! :confused: I for one will be eagerly awaiting this weeks edition to see what "reason" will trotted out as the excuse for yesterdays defeat ??? :cool:

Moreover, talk about culture ! I read with interest the comments by Macedons VP in the footy record yesty. Perhaps he should let the President do the talking in future........ At least I am certain "HE" wouldn't be making weak excuses even before a ball had been bounced in anger !!! :confused:

I agree with some of that, though can't say out shone jayco he kicked 8 and if he wasn't playing woodend would have won by 10 goals

I'm not gunna post it ! :confused: I've already read "LAST WEEKS" paper.... Its now in the rubbish, where it belongs ! And as coincidence would have it I read it in the company of a Cats official. Meldrums comments left us both shaking our heads. :confused: He stated injuries COST Macedon ! Now I & the Macedon bloke I was with BOTH took that to mean, cost them the GAME !
And NOWHERE in the article did he give Romsey any credit for "SMASHING" the Cats. In fact the term SMASH was not in the copy of the paper I read ???
And it is extremely disrespectful (IMHO) when a coach tells all & sundry via the media all about how they lost (insert excuses) & NEVER acknowledges anywhere how well the opposition have played.
Those are exactly the sentiments that have been expressed to me personally by a number of Romsey people !!!
Good luck next time Macedon plays the Redbacks !!!

I'm not gunna post it ! :confused: I've already read "LAST WEEKS" paper.... Its now in the rubbish, where it belongs ! And as coincidence would have it I read it in the company of a Cats official. Meldrums comments left us both shaking our heads. :confused: He stated injuries COST Macedon ! Now I & the Macedon bloke I was with BOTH took that to mean, cost them the GAME !
And NOWHERE in the article did he give Romsey any credit for "SMASHING" the Cats. In fact the term SMASH was not in the copy of the paper I read ???
And it is extremely disrespectful (IMHO) when a coach tells all & sundry via the media all about how they lost (insert excuses) & NEVER acknowledges anywhere how well the opposition have played.
Those are exactly the sentiments that have been expressed to me personally by a number of Romsey people !!!
Good luck next time Macedon plays the Redbacks !!!

Well "CHAMP", or is it "PAL", another unbiased well balanced post from you. No disrespect, of course...but you do write a lot of garbage.

Watched the Wallan vs Riddell game on the weekend and being my first yr in the RDFL got my first look at Riddell who were just disciplined and well drilled !! did all the little things right that you have been taught as a kid , to back up, run in numbers, be direct and man up ! played awesome simple footy !

Wallan didnt play there best footy but some patches were promising but just butchered the ball to much to beat a Quality unit like Riddell . and being so young the boys are gonna be a bit hit and miss this yr but as long as we compete as best we can we will go alright..

Allen for Riddell just sat in the right spots today and was dominate.

Collis for Wallan kicked a awesome goal just ran and persisted and in the end created a goal after running about 100 mtrs .

Enjoy the break blokes !!!

Watched the Wallan vs Riddell game on the weekend and being my first yr in the RDFL got my first look at Riddell who were just disciplined and well drilled !! did all the little things right that you have been taught as a kid , to back up, run in numbers, be direct and man up ! played awesome simple footy !

Wallan didnt play there best footy but some patches were promising but just butchered the ball to much to beat a Quality unit like Riddell . and being so young the boys are gonna be a bit hit and miss this yr but as long as we compete as best we can we will go alright..

Allen for Riddell just sat in the right spots today and was dominate.

Collis for Wallan kicked a awesome goal just ran and persisted and in the end created a goal after running about 100 mtrs .

Enjoy the break blokes !!!

I caught the first half then went to Broady/Melton. Agree 100% on Riddell, have seen them two weeks running and they're extemely well drilled and use the ball better than most which is a huge bonus.

J-Col's goal to the southern end was a ripper in the 2nd term, I take it that's the one you refer to? Reckon he had 3 touches as the ball moved down the outer wing and then snapped from I think a stoppage deep in the pocket . . . . two thumbs up for perserverance :thumbsu::thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I caught the first half then went to Broady/Melton. Agree 100% on Riddell, have seen them two weeks running and they're extemely well drilled and use the ball better than most which is a huge bonus.

J-Col's goal to the southern end was a ripper in the 2nd term, I take it that's the one you refer to? Reckon he had 3 touches as the ball moved down the outer wing and then snapped from I think a stoppage deep in the pocket . . . . two thumbs up for perserverance :thumbsu::thumbsu:

Yep that was the one ! just kept on going ! awesome effort and goal !:thumbsu::thumbsu:

Re: RDFL Season Round 7

What happened at selection the other night ?,Poor young fella missed out again.What about sharing the experience around to the ones that missed out first game.Bit strange me thinks.

Unfortunately yes, but it happens in football as you are well aware.. Was everything done perfectly this year, absolutely not.. But we tried to do everything as fair as possible. Guys had an opportunity to stand out and make their case for selection and unfortunately some didn't quite make it, but it is interleague football, not club football.
We thought that giving everyone an opportunity by remaining a part of the squad to train was as fair as we could have been, we could have made cuts earlier, but decided against it.
Would have liked for you to have given me a call with your concerns though mate... :thumbsu:

Headed to Boardman to watch the kangas smash the cats and they did just that with the big fish,dylan wright and joeb ploog the best players.Deano has a great group to work with.KANGAS ALL THE WAY

Well if this is true, then why cant you just get over it and move on. If you have no involvement why such an effort to defend the coaches comments......WHO CARES, Macedon are crap......

Moving on...

Congratulations to Diggers Rest Captain Shaun Sims who on Saturday reached 200 senior games for the club... A mighty effort by Simsy, who played a fantastic game on the weekend..

Some big results from the weekend, well done to Centrals who came from a long way down to defeat Broadford and Woodend continue to be a spectre that Kilmore struggle to overcome!!

Performance Ladder

Sunbury Kangaroos
Riddell
Rockbank
Woodend/Hesket
Melton Centrals
Romsey

Diggers Rest
Broadford
Wallan
Kilmore
Lancefield
Macedon.

Gday Lads, things seem to have gone quiet so here is some thoughts, Im heading down to Redback Stadium to catch up with some old mates and check out Romsey in action Saturday against the always Dangerous Bomber boys. Here's my thoughts on how I think we will be looking come round 18.

1,Kangaroos (Hard for me to go past as i have witnessed how devastaing they CAN be, and might have a soft spot for them too lol)
2,Redbacks: Awesome list with great depth...oh and undefeated at this stage
3,Riddell: (Finals Machines)Havent showed all thier cards yet and dont need to either, I got them as Favs still to win it come finals time.
4,Diggers Rest: also love the month of September and have seen them first hand what they are capable of. they could choke down any of the above sides on thier day and keep going
5:Rockbank: (No disrespect to Macedon what so ever) but like Diggers this well drilled TEAM can bring any side back a few cogs and rebound very well and are desperate.

The most open finals race i think I've ever seen in RDFL over the last 10 years. Last half should be great. Cant wait for Romsey v riddell,Romsey v sunbury over the next couple of weeks.
Beware the sleeping giant not now but about round 13 onwards:Riddell

Thoughts people? and be nice haha:thumbsu::)

Gday Lads, things seem to have gone quiet so here is some thoughts, Im heading down to Redback Stadium to catch up with some old mates and check out Romsey in action Saturday against the always Dangerous Bomber boys. Here's my thoughts on how I think we will be looking come round 18.

1,Kangaroos (Hard for me to go past as i have witnessed how devastaing they CAN be, and might have a soft spot for them too lol)
2,Redbacks: Awesome list with great depth...oh and undefeated at this stage
3,Riddell: (Finals Machines)Havent showed all thier cards yet and dont need to either, I got them as Favs still to win it come finals time.
4,Diggers Rest: also love the month of September and have seen them first hand what they are capable of. they could choke down any of the above sides on thier day and keep going
5:Rockbank: (No disrespect to Macedon what so ever) but like Diggers this well drilled TEAM can bring any side back a few cogs and rebound very well and are desperate.

The most open finals race i think I've ever seen in RDFL over the last 10 years. Last half should be great. Cant wait for Romsey v riddell,Romsey v sunbury over the next couple of weeks.
Beware the sleeping giant not now but about round 13 onwards:Riddell

Thoughts people? and be nice haha:thumbsu::)

Great work mate!
1 - The Kangaroos will be a tough side to beat and with the addition of John Baker to the line up.. it will create a great balance in the forward line to complement the talent that they have all over the park.. they are definitely heading in the right direction!
2 - The Redbacks have all areas covered and they have some handy players in the Reserves that are ready to step up to fill any role should injuries get in the way, not to mention some talent in the Under 18s.. Travis Thorogood in my opinion is a ready made senior footballer and will be knocking on the door to play alongside the likes of Andrew Pendlebury in the youth department.
3 - It's amazing that a team with so many injuries to key players that they have had that the Bombers keep marching on.. take out one of the game's best full forwards and youngsters topped with plenty of keys returning to the field on the back of solid jobs done by those stepping up the Reserves and we have yet to see the best of what this team can do.. the game against Romsey on Saturday week will be a close one!
4 - Diggers Rest have the best defenders in the competition up forward, in the middle and down back.. their attackers are quality with the working just as hard as defensive players.. it would be fitting that they take a Flag under Fitzy's helm.. I don't think anyone would be disappointed..
5 - Rockbank.. take out Sobotnicki and it could upset the forward structure.. it kicked 20 goals without him on the weekend, so the ability across the ground is definitely there and they are a force.. lets hope for Leigh's sake that he makes the grade at the Jets but for our sake as RDFL fans, we'd love to see him in a Rams jumper kicking plenty of goals.
6 - Macedon will be there, they have the team on the park to bounce back.. if they get into the six and break the finals hoodoo in week one.. who knows what we'll see!:D

Great work mate!
1 - The Kangaroos will be a tough side to beat and with the addition of John Baker to the line up.. it will create a great balance in the forward line to complement the talent that they have all over the park.. they are definitely heading in the right direction!
2 - The Redbacks have all areas covered and they have some handy players in the Reserves that are ready to step up to fill any role should injuries get in the way, not to mention some talent in the Under 18s.. Travis Thorogood in my opinion is a ready made senior footballer and will be knocking on the door to play alongside the likes of Andrew Pendlebury in the youth department.
3 - It's amazing that a team with so many injuries to key players that they have had that the Bombers keep marching on.. take out one of the game's best full forwards and youngsters topped with plenty of keys returning to the field on the back of solid jobs done by those stepping up the Reserves and we have yet to see the best of what this team can do.. the game against Romsey on Saturday week will be a close one!
4 - Diggers Rest have the best defenders in the competition up forward, in the middle and down back.. their attackers are quality with the working just as hard as defensive players.. it would be fitting that they take a Flag under Fitzy's helm.. I don't think anyone would be disappointed..
5 - Rockbank.. take out Sobotnicki and it could upset the forward structure.. it kicked 20 goals without him on the weekend, so the ability across the ground is definitely there and they are a force.. lets hope for Leigh's sake that he makes the grade at the Jets but for our sake as RDFL fans, we'd love to see him in a Rams jumper kicking plenty of goals.
6 - Macedon will be there, they have the team on the park to bounce back.. if they get into the six and break the finals hoodoo in week one.. who knows what we'll see!:D

For what it's worth I'd have:

1 - Romsey - Clearly the best team in the league IMO
2 - Diggers Rest - Just a great team who play for each other
3 - Sunbury Roos - Could quite easily be proven wrong but I believe they lack the mental strength and discipline in the big games.
4 - Riddell - Still a good team and have the one thing the others may lack in belief.
5 - Macedon - Shown in the past couple of weeks that they are a rung below the top 4, but still ahead of Rockbank IMO
6 - Rockbank - Good to see them pushing for a finals spot, just lack a little bit of consistency to really challenge the top sides.

Congratulations to the under 15 RDFL side who have won their way through to the grandfinal of the Metropolitan Junior Championship Division 1. To get there they beat Western, South-Eastern and a shocked Yarra side by one point. This was an especially good victory as Yarra are regular winners of both first and second division.

Hey blokes hope you all had a good break !
I was thinking about a RDFL combined side at this point of the yr and who would be in the squad, like the AFL are gonna do this week for the All Australian team .
Say for a good mix of players you have to pick the 5 best performed players at each club so far this yr to be in the squad .. try and base it on performance and not reputation ....
who from your club would be in it blokes ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back