Banter RDT 162 - Gimme, Gimme, Gimme A Man After Census Night

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Total Recall. Now we're talking. What a movie.

Was it an implanted dream? Was it all real? Was it an implanted dream gone wrong? I still don't know.
There were hints that it was real and that it was a dream. All I can think back to was when the doctor(?) being held at gunpoint was trying to convince Arnold's character that it was a dream but he was sweating like crazy, made me think it was real life and the doc was worried he was about to die.

Debate Badge and I have been having. When did people go from saying 'two thousand and X' to 'twenty X'?

i.e. everyone said 'two thousand and six', but no one says 'two thousand and twenty one'

I think most people now would say 2010 is when it switched, but I don't think in real time it was until years later.

2010. At the latest, the predicted apocalypse of 2012 was always Twenty Twelve, never Two Thousand And Twelve.

Hearing the odd Two Thousand and Twenty One here and there isn’t reflective of the general population making the switch.

Debate Badge and I have been having. When did people go from saying 'two thousand and X' to 'twenty X'?

i.e. everyone said 'two thousand and six', but no one says 'two thousand and twenty one'

I think most people now would say 2010 is when it switched, but I don't think in real time it was until years later.

I think you're correct - I was saying two thousand and ten up until 3 years back, but now when I refer to anything 2010 and beyond I say twenty ten. I'm a bit behind though.

When do we have to stop saying "the twenties" when referring to the 1920s - 2030 or from now?
I think about this way more often than I should. I think it’ll be generational, and the cutoff will be around the 2010-2015 mark.

The test will basically be did you go to history class where the era was “the twenties” or did you go when it was “the 1920s”.

Everyone currently posting will have the twenties refer to the 1920s and will explicitly say the 2020s* for the current decade.

*NO CRICKET CHAT

Would have to check some old footage of Craig Willis on the grand final dais to see what he went with, if you want a definitive answer

On SM-G970F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Would have to check some old footage of Craig Willis on the grand final dais to see what he went with, if you want a definitive answer

That was my first thought, but Badge pointed out that's possibly too formal. So I started watching Big Fat Quiz, but Jimmy Carr doesnt say the year at the start as much as I expected.

Hamish, not Gil which I initially assumed it was, goes with Two Thousand Eighteen for our flag.

Maybe squeezes in a short and sharp “and”, but more of a two thousand eighteen for me. Weird.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also does anyone else still feel like the 90's were only a few years ago?

Yeah but that's just part of coming of age then, right?

For the record, 90s is the best decade of music ever. I'll fight anyone that argues otherwise.

When do we have to stop saying "the twenties" when referring to the 1920s - 2030 or from now?
Should just ask Keys when people first used 20s to refer to the 1920s instead of the 1820s

I think about this way more often than I should. I think it’ll be generational, and the cutoff will be around the 2010-2015 mark.

The test will basically be did you go to history class where the era was “the twenties” or did you go when it was “the 1920s”.

Everyone currently posting will have the twenties refer to the 1920s and will explicitly say the 2020s* for the current decade.

*NO CRICKET CHAT

^^^words of Wisden wisdom^^^

Yeah but that's just part of coming of age then, right?

For the record, 90s is the best decade of music ever. I'll fight anyone that argues otherwise.
Guess we’re going to have a fight then

80’s >>>> 90’s

And for Ochre ‘s benefit I mean the 1980’s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back