No Oppo Supporters Re-signing Tex, Danger and Sloane *** Crows Only ***

Your thoughts on Dangerfield?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plus we upgraded R2 and R3 picks from memory which netted us Jenkins.

We traded Gunston, 53 and 71 for Picks 24, 46 and 64.

We used pick 46 on Nicholas Joyce and pick 64 on Cameron Ellis Yolman.

That then left us with pick 24 which we on-traded to Gold Coast for picks 27,31 and 68.

With Pick 27 we took Kerridge.

We took 68 and combined it with our original pick 35 and Armstrong to Sydney for Lewis Johnston.

This then left us with Pick 31 which we traded to Essendon for Pick 41 and Josh Jenkins.

We then took Grigg with pick 41.

We traded Gunston, 53 and 71 for Picks 24, 46 and 64.

We used pick 46 on Nicholas Joyce and pick 64 on Cameron Ellis Yolman.

That then left us with pick 24 which we on-traded to Gold Coast for picks 27,31 and 68.

With Pick 27 we took Kerridge.

We took 68 and combined it with our original pick 35 and Armstrong to Sydney for Lewis Johnston.

This then left us with Pick 31 which we traded to Essendon for Pick 41 and Josh Jenkins.

We then took Grigg with pick 41.
That is some good work right there ... four players in our current team.

I'm starting to wonder if Crows and Cats have a trade ready to roll out the end of year.
Trading 10 down to 14 a sweetner we gave up this year perhaps.
Tinfoil hat, bizarre musings - yeah sure. But I'll be interested to see if anything else starts to line up with that theory.
Not tinfoil hatted at all.
I'm hoping we can be a bit cocky, when it's all done.

I think what sanders is getting at is Collingwood could say to dangers manager how about 800k for 5 and dangers manager says well adelaide are doing 950 for 5. Collingwood could then say ok how about 975k for 6?
They get to make one formal offer and one formal offer only. However, that's not to say that there wouldn't be a reasonable amount of negotiation going on between the club and the player's manager before that formal offer is made.

Four players that we'd swap for Gunston in a heartbeat
I dunno - who are the other 3 players that are gonna take their place?

I love the way Gunstan plays, always have. He is so highly skilled and clean with his hands. Sure I'd love to have him, but my crystal ball is not so clear on what would have happened had we kept him. Who would have gone where, what picks would we have used on whom etc...

What if CEY turns out to be the cog we need to get Dangerfield into his element? What if JJ realises he is 100+kg beast? What if Kerridge finally realises his potential? What if Grigg becomes the elite distributor we need?

Gunstan would be nice over the last 4 (is it 4?) years - but would keeping him (and not the others) have had us closer to a premiership? Impossible to tell. I like the timing of things at the moment, we appear to growing our depth nicely while maintaining the top end stuff.

I dunno - who are the other 3 players that are gonna take their place?

I love the way Gunstan plays, always have. He is so highly skilled and clean with his hands. Sure I'd love to have him, but my crystal ball is not so clear on what would have happened had we kept him. Who would have gone where, what picks would we have used on whom etc...

What if CEY turns out to be the cog we need to get Dangerfield into his element? What if JJ realises he is 100+kg beast? What if Kerridge finally realises his potential? What if Grigg becomes the elite distributor we need?

Gunstan would be nice over the last 4 (is it 4?) years - but would keeping him (and not the others) have had us closer to a premiership? Impossible to tell. I like the timing of things at the moment, we appear to growing our depth nicely while maintaining the top end stuff.
:eek:

I did lol.

Pete, I reckon the guts of why I don't think we would have been closer with Gunstan is because I don't see how even he would have bridged the MASSIVE gap between where we have been and the top echelon.

Whereas, I see some hope over the next couple of years of us becoming a really good team.
Would Gunston have been worth 1 extra goal for us if he had been playing in the 2012 prelim?

Absolutely correct - however that doesn't diminish the fact that we did pretty well out of a bad situation.

It does make you go back and feel sorry for poor Sando. Lost a young elite 3rd forward three weeks after signing on who kicked 39,46, 58 goals in the three seasons after we lost him. Then lost a KPF/Ruckman who had just kicked 40 goals after 24 games. Then loses another KPF who had just come off a 60+ goal season.

Many said he got the job based on him over rating our list. With the benefit of hindsight - he didn't over rate anything. Imagine a forward line of Tippett, Walker and Gunston at full flight.

Disagree here. Are Sydney a better side with Kurt Tippett in the forward line? The answer is 100% yes. I am just not sure how he has hurt them from a culture perspective? They still made the prelim in 2013 and the grand final in 2014 losing key finals to one of the greatest sides in the history of the AFL.

The deal really didn't hurt them from a bad contract deal either. They went out and signed one of the games top 3 players the following year.

His injury problems are also a bit overstated. The Swans knew he would miss the first 11 games of 2013 before the signed him. Since then he has played 26 of a possible 37 games. Those 11 games he missed were all on the back of the knee injury that happened in the semi final vs Carlton.

I am happy to accept that he probably hasn't been a value for money pickup - but the Swans don't really give a shit. They are the smartest salary cap operators in the game and have been massively helped by the COLA. Swans would absolutely still do this deal.
Tippett had an awesome Grand Final.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

True but rarely do you win in a trade if your uncontracted player wants to leave.
Gubston was a huge loss, but he wanted out.
To get Jenkins, Kerridge, Grigg & Ellis-Yeoman indirectly through that trade was reasonable given our disadvantaged position.
We lost out, but did ok.

I did lol.

Pete, I reckon the guts of why I don't think we would have been closer with Gunstan is because I don't see how even he would have bridged the MASSIVE gap between where we have been and the top echelon.

Whereas, I see some hope over the next couple of years of us becoming a really good team.
Mate no problem supporting your position we did our best to turn sh..t into strawberries.

But in preference to Gunston? That's a bridge too far.... for me anyway.

Based on that theory, we'll need to pay more than pick 7 for Aish if it comes to that.

Of course we will.

Somehow there seems to be this groupthink on here that because Port got Polec for an upgrade on picks we will be able to get Aish cheaply.

They are two massively different situations. Whilst Polec was highly regarded as a junior (Pick 5) - his first 3 seasons of AFL were completely underwhelming. He only played 16 games over 3 seasons and there was lots of talk of him being out of shape (This was confirmed by Port when arrived) and with attitude problems. There was risk involved with Polec.

Aish was drafted lower higher - (pick 7) but was brilliant in his first season. He played 21 of a possible 22 games and finished 4th in the rising star. He has improved his worth on the trade market.

A first rounder will not get it done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back