No Oppo Supporters Re-signing Tex, Danger and Sloane *** Crows Only ***

Your thoughts on Dangerfield?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

One of the main justifications for free agency is that it helps players find opportunities elsewhere when they aren't getting games with their current club.

Yet Dangerfield qualifies this year. How does that fit your description of free agency?

Imagine if you had this and danger were on 95 games with 8 rounds left of the regular season. Would you drop him for 4 of those? [edit: assuming you were having an average year]

Then he basically becomes an unrestricted free agent and he ask for a trade. Same as now.

So just to get this straight, would this 'loyalty nest egg' be considered separate from the cap? I wonder how that could work without impacting the integrity of the salary cap

I cant answer that question and no else can either. I am sure that there will be a formulae that will take into consideration many factors but I would see it being inside the cap however there would be the ability to reduce what is within the cap. Or each club would have the ability to have a slush fund where each team can place an amount of money into it each year. This might be outside the cap. Actually I have no idea at this stage but you are right it will create questions.

They should make 100 games and you qualify for free agency.
At 1st I thought a good idea but what about the fringe player not getting opportunities & wants to move elsewhere after 7 years.

Perhaps 100 games or 7 years.

At 1st I thought a good idea but what about the fringe player not getting opportunities & wants to move elsewhere after 7 years.

Perhaps 100 games or 7 years.

But small trades will still happen.

Fringe players will still ask for a trade for greatewr opportunities.

But small trades will still happen.

Fringe players will still ask for a trade for greatewr opportunities.
But after 7 years of being a fringe player they should be able to go to their club of choice. Could argue after 5 years foe a fringe type as they should be able to find their best opportunity to play Afl.

Eg. Would we have cared if petrenko got to essendon as a free agent?

But after 7 years of being a fringe player they should be able to go to their club of choice. Could argue after 5 years foe a fringe type as they should be able to find their best opportunity to play Afl.

Probably not :)
I listened to the interview with Beau Waters today. Impressive to say the least. He only managed 120 games for 11 yrs in the system and AA and premiership. He would have only got to 100 after 8 or 9 yrs. Man if he had been on the park more...

To be fair, the 100 game proposal was in regards to the potential free agency shift from 7 years down to 5.

Not at all. However, don't all delisted players automatically become a free agent regardless of years played. Say we delisted Sam Siggions, he becomes a delisted free agent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll be furious if they lower the number of years, I don't like the whole concept as it is to begin with.

if the trend continues, at what point do you just say **** it and scrap the draft altogether? What's the point of having it if players can hop wherever they want every time their contract runs out?

What's the problem with players being free once out of contract?

What's the problem with players being free once out of contract?
No problems - let's just scrap trading fullstop & have a free for all.

Not sure the bottom Melbourne teams will be happy...

Imagine if you had this and danger were on 95 games with 8 rounds left of the regular season. Would you drop him for 4 of those? [edit: assuming you were having an average year]
I assume thats one of the reasons theyve tied it to years at the club rather than games played. Thin edge of the wedge though, i cant imagine it will be long before the number of years get reduced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back