Toast Reasons for Optimism

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty much.

Feels like we’re getting close-ish though.

I still think we’re a year or two early, but we have the right stuff about us now and yiu just never know….

Technically we are early. Which is why I have been saying this is the 'enjoy the ride' year.

We may hit form at the right time and have a little luck. If that happens we are in it up to our eyeballs.

2025-2030 will be insane years for us!

I'm loving where we are at presently - healthy list, fit players, competition for spots, ladder position etc..

But parts of the public and media are getting way ahead of themselves talking about us playing prelims/GF's this year.

We are over-achieving with our under-23 players, I hope they keep up the momentum but we have nothing locked in yet and a few slip-ups will see us back out of the 8.

The players literally said they let the Demons win in Alice Springs get to their head and they subsequently shat their dacks against the Bulldogs. We can't let that happen against any team we are starting favourites against.
This is some mollycoddling thinking.

The team is achieving. the age they're doing it at is redundant. the Bulldogs weren't 'overachieving' with an average list when they were three goals up in the last quarter ten years ago. it doesn't matter.

You don't get opportunities very often and being top three with two months left is a massive opportunity.

You take it and relish in it and look yourself in the mirror and say you're in the best team getting around.

Football isn't linear, either, and we've seen that plenty of times. I don't think there's ever been a team that's gone rebuild, to competitive, to just missing finals, to finishing sixth, to a lost prelim, to a winning flag. and then back down in the same order.

Technically we are early. Which is why I have been saying this is the 'enjoy the ride' year.

We may hit form at the right time and have a little luck. If that happens we are in it up to our eyeballs.

2025-2030 will be insane years for us!
this is the season someone could do a Bradbury :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Happy with the effort today. If we kicked straight we would have been fine.

Taking Treacy out of the forward line to ruck costs us up forward too much now, and exposes us to Treacy injury.

I think we bounce back big time at home.
And people wonder why this club hasn't achieved anything in 30 years, accepted mediocre performances and that's all they will achieve

The old happy even when we played like shit card

You have to be kidding

I live a very full and happy life. I no longer allow footy to affect my happy marriage or interactions with my little girls.

Quite aside from that, while I am disappointed with the loss, today we can't be questioned on effort and we had chances to win the game. This isn't the bulldogs game, where we were absolute shizen.

I have said all year that this season is one to be enjoyed because of our age, that we get to enjoy the beginnings of something here. My posting has stayed in line with that.

Last edited:
And people wonder why this club hasn't achieved anything in 30 years, accepted mediocre performances and that's all they will achieve

Do you think how I feel about the club has any impact on if they win or lose? The argument you are making is asinine.

I have't come on here celebrating a great game. I have said we put in a good effort and competed away from home. Those things are true.

I live a very full and happy life. I no longer allow footy to affect my happy marriage or interactions with my little girls.

Quite aside from that, while I am disappointed with the loss, today we can't be questioned on effort and we had chances to win the game. This isn't the bulldogs game, where we were absolute shizen.

I have said all year that this season is one to be enjoyed because of our age, that we get to enjoy the beginnings of something here. My posting has stayed in line with that.
This is the attitude I’ve always wanted… rationally I knew it was just a stupid football game, but it really just ruined (or made) my weekend. But my kid was in hospital the week of one of those absolute capitulations, which I fortunately didn’t watch, and I’ve now found that attitude. He was so sick, really football just didn’t matter. And it doesn’t, not to the degree I was letting it. Now I care when we play, and yell and rant, but now it ends when the game ends. Freo and the game give me so much pleasure but I don’t need to feel angry or sad anymore.
Thanks for leading the way! đź‘Ť

This is the attitude I’ve always wanted… rationally I knew it was just a stupid football game, but it really just ruined (or made) my weekend. But my kid was in hospital the week of one of those absolute capitulations, which I fortunately didn’t watch, and I’ve now found that attitude. He was so sick, really football just didn’t matter. And it doesn’t, not to the degree I was letting it. Now I care when we play, and yell and rant, but now it ends when the game ends. Freo and the game give me so much pleasure but I don’t need to feel angry or sad anymore.
Thanks for leading the way! đź‘Ť

Yep - your family, wife/husband, kids, parents are infinitely more important. On a practical level I cannot make the math work where Freo losing means no romance with my wife. Or my kids wanting to avoid me etc.

I clap and shout and chant etc... And when we win the big one I will go nuts! I will not let it be more important than my role as a husband, father or son. I have to remind myself sometimes, so I don't slip back into the old ways haha. But mostly there is so much to be thankful for that I want to live my life in a way that aligns with that.

I appreciate the encouragement. And hope your son is well now.. you can enjoy the fullness of joy kids bring!

Toast Reasons for Optimism

Remove this Banner Ad

Back