Toast Reasons for Optimism

Remove this Banner Ad

We are saving our run of wins for when it really matters ..

This! We will win a few on a row from here, and with the draw that will see us securely in 3rd to 5th depending on percentage. Exciting run home to the year for fans of at least nine teams. To be in the top end bracket of those with a team so young is freaking good!

So on the note of positivity and optimism - I was away from Rd 2 to I think Rd 10. If I were to go back and watch the replays of two games during that time, to get the most positive experience and see all the optimism that our poshman exhibits - which 2 should I pick?
Round 4 (you will get angry at the end), 7 and 8

we have improved since you've come back lol

So on the note of positivity and optimism - I was away from Rd 2 to I think Rd 10. If I were to go back and watch the replays of two games during that time, to get the most positive experience and see all the optimism that our poshman exhibits - which 2 should I pick?

I love seeing you back around the place!

Round 4 (you will get angry at the end), 7 and 8

we have improved since you've come back lol

I would add round 2 against the Kangas. The first half is a hard watch, and the team of previous seasons never had the fire power or polish to come back, let alone kick ahead. Now we have that in spades.

This is the year of enjoying the ride. I have been a part of some fairly successful businesses. And one of the key similarities in each that have sold is the ownership team saying they wished they enjoyed the ride, the early days more. We are at the beginning of something special at freo. And have three firsts and a high second rounder at the end of the year. Immense possibilities. What a time to be alive!

On top of all this... Do yourself a favour, call in for a personal day or half day and take a walk around the river, see the ocean. World beating, stunning day!

Thanks for this peoples, I shall take all of your sage advice and watch a few games that I missed out on. 🙂 I followed from o/s on the afl app, rode the highs and lows of the Carlton game, and a lot of highs from others, but will be good to have a look now I have a bit of time on my hands.😁

I am feeling anti dockery and believe it is time the club moves into an era of optimism an belief. We are set up off field, strong financially, great facilities that are being invested in again. And a strong young list that should see us ready to love the next decade at the club.

Below are some reasons you should enjoy the footy this year, even if it isn't perfect, as seen through the lens of the next five to seven years.

- Luke Jackson: He is a game turner and winner already. His body has filled out a little more and even if we temper expectations to a normal growth curve from here, he is a top 15 player in the league. If he develops how I think he will, he is a top three player for a decade.

- Jye Amiss: His first full season resulted in 41 goals. If he was playing in Victoria he would be known as the best key forward prospect in the league. Is a couple of preseasons from ideal body shape and i wouldn't be surprised if he kicked fifty this season. He shouldn't hit his peak for another 4 years. But lets say his future performance is at 2024 and 2025 levels. That is one of the best KPF's (yes you vic clowns, KPF) in the league for what should be at least a decade.

- Andy and Caleb: There is improvement left in them, however we should expect high output for at least another 8 years. Both could captain, I favour Andy, but wouldn't mind CS. Another strong position to find ourselves in. Both AA level players and we get them for years to come.

- Young: this season should see him in the AA squad or thereabouts. A strong mark, bigger body and long kick. I think he kicks 14-16 goals this season and increases that to around 20 a year there after. Hasn't reached his peak, but even with no improvement we get very good football for close to a decade.

- Darcy: There is a lot of improvement left in him and I think he is going to kick big goals and take huge contested marks in finals and GF's that turn games for us. I want to see the shhhh come out in a GF.

- Johnson: Size and pace with skill. I think he gets it close to 23 times a game this season and we won't see his best for another two years yet. Inside and outside he will be a problem.

- Ras: I rate him, He knows how to find the ball and get it out. Physically he will be able to run all day and wont be easily moved off the ball.

- Freddy: In a team with talls who are winning or at least halving contests we will see the best of his freakish talent. I expect him to be a 30 plus goal a year player regularly.

- Cox: Will not be the best KPD in the league. But will be an A grader for a decade.

- Walker: Could become the best lockdown small defender in the league. With confidence to run with the ball, should sow some chaos and provide highlights. Again, should be great for the best part of a decade.

- Ryan: I want to transition him from kicking out, however he should be good for intercepts and playing taller than he is for the next 5-6 seasons. I was unsure if he belonged in the group below or not, however, he has proven he can play at least at an AA squad level.

- Clark: (suggested addition) A definite trade win/positive. AA potential. I hope he is given license to attack with dare. Watching him open up games for our forwards will be delightful.

Then we have a plethora of B grader types who can offer a lot to the team.

Aish will be good for another three to five, doing his job and doing it well consistently.
Switta.
Treacy can play a role. Run and move the ball well from the wings to half forward.
Pearce: When fit is a solid defender. Another two to three years while we develop some youngsters will be vital.

The could be anything group:

Simpson: He looks to have it. Who knows what the real season will bring, however, this guy looks like a lock to be at least a very solid B grader and possibly more.

Draper/Murphy/Hatless: All have shown glimpses and enough to suggest they can come into the team and improve it eventually.

Chapman: Injuries have meant I am less bullish on him. If he was injury free I would place him right after Jackson and Amiss on this list. Fingers crossed on Chappy.

Draft:

We have a great hand coming at the end of this year. Enough that we could land a gun and still pick in the first round for a top end talent that meets needs.

Trading:

I think we have a core locked in. The chatter makes it seem like we are at least a 50/50 chance to bring over McDonald. If we were to get him or Sam Taylor the year after, there wouldn't be a team that could match our top end talent across the field.

I am sure that I have missed some obvious ones, so add your own. The point is, I want to see a bullish approach from the club. That means we should evaluate Longmuir without fear of who will replace him. Freo is one of the clubs best placed to win two or three premierships in the next decade. We should act like it.

Reading back we need to move Treacy into the reasons for increased optimism for the coming decade. What a season!

I suggest Rd 5, frustrating finish but it was Treacy's break out game, was marking everything after dropping 2 sitters late vs Carlton

Thanks for this peoples, I shall take all of your sage advice and watch a few games that I missed out on. 🙂 I followed from o/s on the afl app, rode the highs and lows of the Carlton game, and a lot of highs from others, but will be good to have a look now I have a bit of time on my hands.😁
where were you?

Darcy and Pearce back gives us a look at our strongest team of the year this week. Would be good if Walters was an out but I doubt that will happen.

It will be great to see Pearce, Cox and Ryan get time to gel in the back half.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Darcy and Pearce back gives us a look at our strongest team of the year this week. Would be good if Walters was an out but I doubt that will happen.

especially for Ryan's 150th :)

Walters is getting special treatment

Walters is getting special treatment

I would love to be able to make an argument for him based on contribution just less than we are used to from him. However, the game seems to have gone past him at light speed. Last season it was a concern, now we are flat out carrying him. Hopefully, he is rested for all but the last home game. And if we are in the running for top four in the last home game, I don't think we can afford to play him.

Strong line up heading into the weekend. Darcy back will release Dogga to do great things forward and to their part timer rucks. This changes the forward set up and opportunities for Amiss and Treacy.

Pearce back to build cohesion with Cox, Ryan and the backs as a unit.

It isn't a perfect selection for mine. However, we have so much to enjoy now and look forward to in future seasons. Can Young continue his rise and become the most dangerous player on our list? Can Brayshaw and Serong continue their recent goal kicking form?

A win here puts pressure on the teams below us in the eight and keeps us in the running for top four. I can't wait to enjoy the next couple of months!

Strong line up heading into the weekend. Darcy back will release Dogga to do great things forward and to their part timer rucks. This changes the forward set up and opportunities for Amiss and Treacy.

Pearce back to build cohesion with Cox, Ryan and the backs as a unit.

It isn't a perfect selection for mine. However, we have so much to enjoy now and look forward to in future seasons. Can Young continue his rise and become the most dangerous player on our list? Can Brayshaw and Serong continue their recent goal kicking form?

A win here puts pressure on the teams below us in the eight and keeps us in the running for top four. I can't wait to enjoy the next couple of months!

Imagine swapping Walters out for Brodie so he can run the midfield in the last quarter extracting it out to our mids.

We are at almost full strength except jlo refuses to drop an out of form Walters.

Imagine swapping Walters out for Brodie so he can run the midfield in the last quarter extracting it out to our mids.

We are at almost full strength except jlo refuses to drop an out of form Walters.
Yep, said before the season started we should sub Fyfe off at 3/4 time and bring Brodie in as the sub, it’s never happened but I still think that’s our best option for the sub role.

Even Walters out and Aish as the multi positional player to sub. Then find a place for someone else... we can't go worse than what Walters is providing sadly. Even someone like Simpson we would be getting development games into him, and that provides value.

Yep, said before the season started we should sub Fyfe off at 3/4 time and bring Brodie in as the sub, it’s never happened but I still think that’s our best option for the sub role.

Yes - it would be interesting at the very least to see what it looked like. Especially against the stronger midfields.

If the argument against it is it would lack flexibility, Walters has the same lack of flexibility.

We need to be careful because Petty and JVR will probably act as an extra midfielder in the centre square and around the ground when they are playing in the ruck.

Agreed and I think Jackson will be better than them at it. I also think Darcy is the worst type of ruck to do that against as he gets 4-5 clearances a game. It will be a new look for our guys. I think a fresh Jackson will be a difference maker.

With Gawn out, they will need to change their ball movement method. We should be challenging our duo to be physically dominant with them.

Yes - it would be interesting at the very least to see what it looked like. Especially against the stronger midfields.

If the argument against it is it would lack flexibility, Walters has the same lack of flexibility.
That’s an easy argument to counter as the rest of our team provide that flexibility, Banners has become (or has been used as) a genuine Utility player, who can be moved back, Wing or forward, JOM and Johnson can both play inside/outside mid and forward, Young has been used forward recently. In game injuries don’t really scare me as we have the ability to shuffle the magnets around.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Reasons for Optimism

Remove this Banner Ad

Back