Reasons The Saints Can't Go All The Way

Remove this Banner Ad

You've got plenty of sniping thugs on your list mate...

This one being identical to the Dawson hip and shoulder, yet the MRP didn't even look twice at it.

The tribunal rules have changed about a gazillion times since the West incident. Under the rules at the time, West was in the clear. Under the rules as they currently stand, Dawson was rightly suspended.

Comparing Dawson to West is about as relevant as comparing the Dawson incident to Robbie Muir wacking blokes in the 70's. The rules they played under were different.

Now stop crying.

Rubbish...as many stated at the time inluding KB West could have and should have gone for that hit.

You are arguing a totally different issue, and have completely missed the point.

KB and others stated that they thought that West was lucky and were dismayed that he got off. HOWEVER, these bleeding hearts were not arguing about the interpretations of the rules, they were simply grandstanding that they thought West had done a bad thing and should be punished. Unfortunately for them, the rules and the way they were applied at the time meant that he was rightly let off.

Whether it was fair or not, or whether the rules were wrong at the time is a different argument.

So, to come back to my original point: You can't argue about "justice" when comparing 2 supposedly similar incidents if the rules have since changed. West was operating legally within the rules and the interpretation of the rules at the time. If that upsets your delicate sensibilities then I am sure the MRP apologises.

So you should stop crying along with your other Saints mate.

You are arguing a totally different issue, and have completely missed the point.

KB and others stated that they thought that West was lucky and were dismayed that he got off. HOWEVER, these bleeding hearts were not arguing about the interpretations of the rules, they were simply grandstanding that they thought West had done a bad thing and should be punished. Unfortunately for them, the rules and the way they were applied at the time meant that he was rightly let off.

Whether it was fair or not, or whether the rules were wrong at the time is a different argument.

So, to come back to my original point: You can't argue about "justice" when comparing 2 supposedly similar incidents if the rules have since changed. West was operating legally within the rules and the interpretation of the rules at the time. If that upsets your delicate sensibilities then I am sure the MRP apologises.

So you should stop crying along with your other Saints mate.

So why did Bartel get off on his rough conduct/striking charge against Luke Power last week?

Different rules again then or just the fact Bartel is a Brownlow Medallist and plays for Geelong?

So why did Bartel get off on his rough conduct/striking charge against Luke Power last week?

Different rules again then or just the fact Bartel is a Brownlow Medallist and plays for Geelong?

lol bartel hardly touched power , he just took a dive.bottom line is we dont have any thugs at geelong , mooney does the odd sily thing but thats it.The rest are all role models

lol bartel hardly touched power , he just took a dive.bottom line is we dont have any thugs at geelong , mooney does the odd sily thing but thats it.The rest are all role models

lol, just like Dawson hardly touched Symes, he took a dive as well. We don't have any thugs at St Kilda either, Kosi does the odd silly but thats it. The rest are all role models.

One all, your serve.

I think the only thing that can stop them is if they get hit by a sudden run of injuries to key players. In July 2006 people thought the Crows were nigh on unbeatable - then we lost Riccuito, McLeod, Burton, Hentschel, McGregor and 3 or 4 others and didn't even make the GF.

Saints are clearly the best right now but flags aren't won in July.

If they keep playing as they are and suffer no injuries they will win the flag. Their endurance and fitness this year is amazing. Also they seem to be playing unselfishly which they have not done in the past.

Is that it?

Nine pages of reasons....

So, the stronger reasons why the saints cannot win are:

A) The GF is played on the MCG.

B) We are talking about St Kilda.

C) Zac Dawson is a renegade thug.

Playing at the MCG against a quicker side will cause the Saints a lot of issues. If the Bulldogs play the Saints there then I believe the Bulldogs can beat them. Let's remember that the Bulldogs have had just as much finals experiance as the Saints now.
It's a lot harder to play the Saints zone at the G as it's a fair bit longer wing to wing. There will be holes through the middle which will be used by teams such as Bulldogs/Essendon/Geelong.

I think the only think that will stop St Kilda winning the premiership is the same thing that prevented Geelong from going back to back and that's if they have their one half-arsed/unlucky game of the year on grand final day. They are playing great footy.

Playing at the MCG against a quicker side will cause the Saints a lot of issues. If the Bulldogs play the Saints there then I believe the Bulldogs can beat them. Let's remember that the Bulldogs have had just as much finals experiance as the Saints now.
It's a lot harder to play the Saints zone at the G as it's a fair bit longer wing to wing. There will be holes through the middle which will be used by teams such as Bulldogs/Essendon/Geelong.

The MCG is 1 metre longer, and 4 metres wider than ES. Not that much different, and based on the Saints' results at both AAMI and Subiaco, probably not that significant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

St Kilda are clearly entitled to favouritism and have all the attributes required for a premiership.

It is often claimed that you need a Power Forward. St Kilda have 2 and 1 of those is probably the best player in the comp for 2009.

I believe that if you check back through the history of premierships that a dominant ruckman can also be a key ingredient and is probably more important than the key forward. If you go back to the Brisbane flags you will find Clark Keating was very influential as a dominant force in the ruck. Grand Finals are won by getting the ball and using it. A strong ruck is key to that.
St Kilda are very well served with King and Gardiner. King was a dominant force in 08 with Ottens also handy. Blake was the weak link as well as poor ball use in 09.

The Saints biggest danger for going through unbeaten is this week and it is not because it is the Bulldogs but because of their reduced recovery off a 6 day break. If St Kilda win this week they will have answered every challenge and it is then only up to them to perform in September to win the flag.

I believe Geelong are up against it as they seem to be getting a run of injuries and they need Ottens back and in form or they will be smashed at the ruck contest.

I give the Dogs some chance (bias admitted) because they have a ruck combination that is more than serviceable and they have the personnel to match the Saints through the middle with sufficient spread of goal kickers. The Dogs do need to show it this week.

I give the Dogs some chance (bias admitted) because they have a ruck combination that is more than serviceable and they have the personnel to match the Saints through the middle with sufficient spread of goal kickers. The Dogs do need to show it this week.

i give the dogs a hell of a chance... and not just this week

i give the dogs a hell of a chance... and not just this week

I think the Dogs are certainly a chance but they still have a couple of weaknesses that may hold them back. Mainly their lack of big key forwards. If you put either Riewoldt or Kosi into their forward line they'd probably be the premiership favourite, especially when you combine it with their strong midfield/small forward brigade.

Likewise their defence relies a lot on Brian Lake, if they lost him they'd be in all sorts of trouble. I think we have much greater depth in this area, after all we were able to cover Hudghton being out for most of the season.

I still think the Dogs will be around at the business end in September but I have doubts about them going all the way. Still if we don't win the premiership this year, I'd like to see them win it.

I still think the Dogs will be around at the business end in September but I have doubts about them going all the way. Still if we don't win the premiership this year, I'd like to see them win it.

:thumbsu: - if i had to pick a side out of the top 8 apart from us to win it I would support the dogs

:thumbsu: - if i had to pick a side out of the top 8 apart from us to win it I would support the dogs

The only downside is that their supporters would be able to start sledging us about only having one premiership, now that they would have two.:D

The only downside is that their supporters would be able to start sledging us about only having one premiership, now that they would have two.:D

You will cop no sledge from me if the Dogs happen to win it. I will be really disappointed if the winner is not out of Saints and Dogs.

I think both sides can be there beyond this year as well.

Note Saints really should have won in 04 and the downfall was Grant Thomas with his refusal to believe that ruckmen mattered and probably the decision that leadership should be on a rotation.

Ross Lyon has addressed the structural problems that Thomas failed to understand and has made St Kilda a great TEAM.

You will cop no sledge from me if the Dogs happen to win it. I will be really disappointed if the winner is not out of Saints and Dogs.

I think both sides can be there beyond this year as well.

Note Saints really should have won in 04 and the downfall was Grant Thomas with his refusal to believe that ruckmen mattered and probably the decision that leadership should be on a rotation.

Ross Lyon has addressed the structural problems that Thomas failed to understand and has made St Kilda a great TEAM.

We also had injuries to a few key players in '04, ie Hamill, Kosi etc, which didn't help us either.

I agree though that we are better placed to win it this year under Lyon, with a stronger ruck division and a much more even team across the board.

Remove this Banner Ad

Reasons The Saints Can't Go All The Way

Remove this Banner Ad

Back