Reasons The Saints Can't Go All The Way

Remove this Banner Ad

how do the neutrals rank the top 4 saints ,cats,dogs and pies ?

we are still favourites with the bookies but the saints have closed the gap and may soon overtake us.

do you see the saints or the cats on their own level or are they both evenly matched ?

how far of the cats and saints are the pies and dogs ?

Could it be that St Kilda's strengths may prove to be their Achilles Heel?
  • 2009 Saints are probably the hardest working team I've ever seen. As much as I was pleased by Carlton's fight in a close loss the truth is that the Saints pretty much fell exhausted into the break. And they aint likely to get any fresher from here on in.
  • Like the hard work, Saints sustained intensity is great. I don't believe they have much in the way of higher gears left. At least some of the other sides in September will lift their work rate and intensity significantly.
  • Execution in heavy traffic. Saints as a group quite superb in this regard, conjuring the ball through pressure situations. So good that its a key part of how they get the job done. But can it be done that way under finals pressure when the split second gets shaved a little?
  • Reiwoldt. If I was an opposition coach I'd be sending somebody out with a licence on him. No offence to what is a strong team across the board, but Nick's worth two players and the game revolves around him. Saints are good enough to play a different game, but you wouldnt want to try it for the first time on the big stage.
IMO Geelong ARE still the better side of the two if they get something close to their best side on the ground. The Pussies have had a dreadful year injury wise - at least as bad as the excuse king Hawks - but unlike the Hawks have still looked damn good.

You have some rational argumnts but undermine them by irrationally canning the team which won the thing last year.

You probably had something similar to say about the hawks last year.

simple my side geelong has them covered.The saints pulled of a 1 goal win in rnd 14 at the dome.geelong had no steve johnson that day who is our best forward and one of the comps best 10 players , plus the fact that the game was played at the dome were the saints are simply a better side than they are at the G.both factors = a 4-6 goal swing to geelong, plus st kilda jumped geelong and ottens may come back and the game meant more to st kilda and geelong are more focused on september than stkilda
the saints have the better talls and better rucks , geelong have better everything else

ablett> hayes
bartell> montagna
sellwood>dalsanto
corey>godard
ling> geary
chapman > schnider
johnson> milne

I knew something was fishy when you compared Ling to Geary, you should compare Ling to Jones.

Hayes is a better team player, presence felt more around the contest, does the hard work, Ablett gets cheapo possessions from the people doing the hard work.

Our Forward Line > Your Forward line
Our Back line = Your back line
Our Midfield < Your midfield (not by much though)

All in all it seems St Kilda is a much more balanced side than Geelong at the moment.

We'll see come finals, its likely we wont meet you until week 3 or 4 anyway.

I knew something was fishy when you compared Ling to Geary, you should compare Ling to Jones.

Hayes is a better team player, presence felt more around the contest, does the hard work, Ablett gets cheapo possessions from the people doing the hard work.

Our Forward Line > Your Forward line
Our Back line = Your back line
Our Midfield < Your midfield (not by much though)

All in all it seems St Kilda is a much more balanced side than Geelong at the moment.

We'll see come finals, its likely we wont meet you until week 3 or 4 anyway.

thats true i think you are the more balanced side , but we still player for player have the better side.

as for hayes being better than ablett lol, their was a poll i the herald sun for the best player in the comp and ablett got over 50% of the votes , he also smashed judd in a poll on the polls board.As for only getting cheepies , before he got injuired in rnd 7 he had won more contested footy than any other player in the afl, hes just so good with the ball that no one plays attention to it.He wasnt voted best player in the comp by the players two year in a row by not going in hard.

Well done for pointing out BigFooty myth #1.

BigFooty myth #2: "Joel Selwood only looks good because he has good players around him."

BigFooty myth #3: "Steve Johnson and Paul Chapman aren't even good footballers, they just get a good run with umpires."

BigFooty myth #4: "There's no way Matthew Scarlett is the best full-back in the competition."

Could it be that St Kilda's strengths may prove to be their Achilles Heel?
  • 2009 Saints are probably the hardest working team I've ever seen. As much as I was pleased by Carlton's fight in a close loss the truth is that the Saints pretty much fell exhausted into the break. And they aint likely to get any fresher from here on in.
  • Like the hard work, Saints sustained intensity is great. I don't believe they have much in the way of higher gears left. At least some of the other sides in September will lift their work rate and intensity significantly.
  • Execution in heavy traffic. Saints as a group quite superb in this regard, conjuring the ball through pressure situations. So good that its a key part of how they get the job done. But can it be done that way under finals pressure when the split second gets shaved a little?
  • Reiwoldt. If I was an opposition coach I'd be sending somebody out with a licence on him. No offence to what is a strong team across the board, but Nick's worth two players and the game revolves around him. Saints are good enough to play a different game, but you wouldnt want to try it for the first time on the big stage.
IMO Geelong ARE still the better side of the two if they get something close to their best side on the ground. The Pussies have had a dreadful year injury wise - at least as bad as the excuse king Hawks - but unlike the Hawks have still looked damn good.

Bookmarked.Bet this guy doesn't have the balls to show his face after we hold up the cup.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::thumbsdown:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we'll either choke or totally annihalate the team we come up against in a grand final if we're lucky enough to actually make it this year.

3 goddamn preliminary final losses in recent memory has been painful. That damn one against the swans in 05 was the worst. :thumbsdown:

Farren Ray sends his thanks for picking him as a 1st round pick and passing him on to Saints for a 2nd rounder.

michael gardiner also sends his thanks to west coast for picking him as a 1st round pick and passing him onto the saints for 3or 4th rounder

Ignorance is bliss eh?

Not sure why you want to defend those dirty snipers (Dawson & Kosi) but keep on justifying it to yourself.

About time they got caught. Thugs.

What a terrible example to kids, something needs to be done. It's a conspiracy or something.

Bummer Thompson. Thugs. Snipers. Connections on the tribunal board. Been doing it all their careers. Check - I've covered the lot.

The Pussies have had a dreadful year injury wise - at least as bad as the excuse king Hawks - but unlike the Hawks have still looked damn good.

Interesting statement, 6 players out 2 weeks ago and got thumped....we have no excuses for beating your rabble and are still the reigning premiers...where as conversley you are the reigning Tankers

Yet, has the least amount of goals kicked on him.

Can't wait until he finds himself.

At least he's not a sniping thug like Zac Dawson.

You've got plenty of sniping thugs on your list mate...

This one being identical to the Dawson hip and shoulder, yet the MRP didn't even look twice at it.

Oh and how could we forget one of the all time great snipers in Darren Milburn featured here.

This one being identical to the Dawson hip and shoulder, yet the MRP didn't even look twice at it.

Oh and how could we forget one of the all time great snipers in Darren Milburn featured here.

Case #1 - Was against Xavier Clarke, and thus doesn't count.

Case #2 - Silvagni has narcolepsy, and chose an unfortunate time to go nigh nighs. Milburn was merely clapping the ambos for their work on a sleepy SOS.

I can't help but wonder if our connections on the tribunal helped our case? Guess we will never know...

I have to say I don't quite agree with the reasoning for why St Kilda can't win the Premiership. It's been a long time, the club as a whole want it bad and they haven't been in a better position for decades. I would be nervous as hell if St Kilda and Geelong end up facing each other in the Grand Final.

Remove this Banner Ad

Reasons The Saints Can't Go All The Way

Remove this Banner Ad

Back