Rebuilding Hawthorn?

Remove this Banner Ad

In this upcoming age of free agency, How attractive would Hawthorn be to potential recruits if they thought they would be dumped after a certain age ?purely based on age and not performance ?

Please give me your honest answer

Our mini re-build is about drafting kids not attracting the likes of Jamar, Goddard, Moloney etc under free agency.

To answer your question it would have zero effect on the 18 year olds coming in. It may have an effect on attracting free agent players but I've had a gut full of seeing players past their prime come in and play week in week out well our younger players with a far greater flipside rot away in the twos deprived of opportunity.

Trading in Burgoyne and letting Kennedy is a prime example of this. Kennedy would be our best midfielder now.

Why was McGlynn traded? Both of these two would be in our best 18 easy now. We won our last premiership on developing players not buying them. Clarko was the instigator of all this, for some reason he has gone away from the very reason the club appointed him.

Trading for picks in the last two drafts was not that smart - itt was GC, GWS or no one. Even if certain players have lost value since

This year, with return to normality, might be better. Reportedly better draft too.

Who's to say the club isn't deliberately waiting to the end of this year ? - to do these sorts of trades

Why would there be a riot?

Needs to stop twittering BS like 'vote for my man, Sharod Wellingham for Cleo bachelor of the year...' and concentrate on how to bloody kick straight...he is on the BIG $$$

Yes, how dare he do anything in his private time. There is obviously a direct correlation between Buddy tweeting something, and then missing shots at goal and us losing.

Stop the tweets, and we win the flag! It's that simple!

Think the rebuild needs to start asap, some hard calls need to be made or we will be in for a very lean 4-5 year period. Hawks may well recover this year and be competitive at the pointy end but it will ony mask the imminent decline that is approaching fast. Schneider/Hallahan and co need to be given game time, Gunston needs to be played and given an opportunity to play inside 50 instead of competing for kicks against Buddy on the half back line. Clarko is here until at least the end of 2013 so lets get over that, need him to put aside his stubborness and trade for draft picks one of Mitchell/Sewell or Lewis, dont believe all 3 can play in our midfeild,move on list cloggers Ellis/Bruce/Hale/Murphy, move on with sensitivity premiership greats Bateman/Ossie, this could be done over a 2 year period. We will need a core of experiance to mentor youngsters so Hodge and one of Burgoyne/Mitchell stay. We also I believe we have too many 190cm backmen on the list, a knee jerk to the constant problem of being unable to stop opposition power forwards, needs to be adjusted with 1-2 moved on and a 196-198cm KPD drafted.Thin we are ok forward
just need to get structure right, play Frankilin/Rough deep,Gunston high,Rioli at their feet. Dont think we need to bottom out, but need to be gutsy in this years trade/draft. Lets hope we are because if we dont we will have endure death by a thousand cuts and watch the mighty Hawks go into slow to meduim decline

buddy is the first one who I would get rid of. I am sorry but for all his brilliance , every w eek he misses the sitters.. the easy kicks which would have seen us winning games.

I wouldn't get rid of Mitchell...he never stops trying

Trade no one unless they ask to be traded. This may become more common now as premiership chances fade.
Draft...... You others are more knowledgeable than I about our needs.
Succession plan for midfielders with what we have eg perhaps Hallahan/ Woodward / Schneider for inside, Hill, Wanganeen outside
Play Amos Frank, just to see what he does
Buddy to Box Hill for a week, and to practise goal kicking with his right foot. His confidence is shot, his right to left fade has gone, and his constant misses are deflating the team. I can't remember honestly expecting a behind every time he, and most Hawthorn players are taking a set shot. Yesterday it degenerated into out on the full.
Agree about Savage, he has gone backwards. Cannot shoot straight on the run or from a set shot, both of which were strengths.
Oh and ruck men: why not Broc or Lowden? You will say too young, too risky, but I honestly believe the top four is gone, given too many losses, a tough draw and poor form.

I thnk the untouchables are as follows;

Franklin
rioli
roughead
bodge
birch
mitch

as some have pointed out you need a core group of experienced plays around the youngsters, but everyone else put them on the table do what you have to to start getting picks.

I think think the following definately either need to go or be delisted;

Bateman
bruce (what a joke)
Murphy (what a joke)
Sewell
ozzie
gilham (we need a proper kpd, play boumann)
either bailey or hale (dnt need them both)
McCauley (another half assed ruckman)
Young (seen enough his done and his efforts are pathetic)

theres no question we need to rebuild and ideally a new coach is needed to do this. clarkson will not be fit to do this due to favourites, relationships ect. He will be coachn for his job not for the betterment of the hfc and rebuilding would be conceeding to that fact that he has failed since 08. We have an easy run coming up and i have no doubt this will all blow over, but the same issues will still be there and they will progress further until they eventually cant be hidden any longer.

I would say Rioli is untouchable...will never be more than a burst player, if an opportunity came along to grab an A grade mid, would def think about it!

I definitely think we have robbed ourselves of young talent with all the trading, so must grab 4 or 5 players in this year's national draft. That means getting rid of 5 or 6 for mine, given we will probably have to upgrade Schneider, unless the Swans decide they want him too.

That means delist/trade: Bruce, Changa, Grimley, Duryea and one or two more, probably starting with Gilham and Murphy for mine. I can't see a role for either with Stratton in the same side, since none can play as a key defender or a running rebounding defender (the two defensive gaps we continue to have) and we have about 10 other younger 189cm - 192cm medium-talls.

With those 5 picks I would grab three big quick mids that have great endurance and can play inside or out; a key defender (193 cm+) that can take a contested mark and a highly skilled quick medium sized forward that can take a one-on-one mark and kick straight.

If we were to trade we must get a top quality tap ruckman. Our aging mids don't have the off-the-mark pace to shark the opposition's taps any more so we either get our hand on it first or may as well trade these guys too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thnk the untouchables are as follows;

Franklin
rioli
roughead
bodge
birch
mitch

as some have pointed out you need a core group of experienced plays around the youngsters, but everyone else put them on the table do what you have to to start getting picks.

I think think the following definately either need to go or be delisted;

Bateman
bruce (what a joke)
Murphy (what a joke)
Sewell
ozzie
gilham (we need a proper kpd, play boumann)
either bailey or hale (dnt need them both)
McCauley (another half assed ruckman)
Young (seen enough his done and his efforts are pathetic)

theres no question we need to rebuild and ideally a new coach is needed to do this. clarkson will not be fit to do this due to favourites, relationships ect. He will be coachn for his job not for the betterment of the hfc and rebuilding would be conceeding to that fact that he has failed since 08. We have an easy run coming up and i have no doubt this will all blow over, but the same issues will still be there and they will progress further until they eventually cant be hidden any longer.

Nice 1 & Big Mac, some valid points.

Its funny how much has changed. Before the season started people were saying we had amazing depth and that it would prove to be a difference in 2012. 9 rounds later and everyone is asking for all of our so called 'depth' to be delisted or traded away in favor of picks.

We are definitely in quite the pickle as we are not quite sure whether it is our list or our gameplan (or lack of) that is to blame for our poor performances. This is one of the reasons I lean to the thought of getting a new coach before the end of the year. See if things can't turn around before the year is done. If they can, awesome, the new coach was a master move. If they can't we now know for sure that our list can't get it done and can start the rebuild/moving of players immediately after this season.

Who's the current list manager? I want his job!!!

I will bring this club back to the glory days of the 80's!!!!

Too much rough hand love methinks - mate, you haven't bought a single thing to the table apart from a little bit of self jizzing on yourself.

Go and get a hanky.

Too much rough hand love methinks - mate, you haven't bought a single thing to the table apart from a little bit of self jizzing on yourself.

Go and get a hanky.

You don't think we'd be better off if we cleaned out the aforementioned players?

You don't think we'd be better off if we cleaned out the aforementioned players?

Great if we want to win the 'youngest list in the comp' premiership.

Miserable if you actually want to win real premierships - you don't just cut all that experience and expect to be competitive no matter how good the kids coming through are meant to be.

A lot of those guys will not be on the list next season through either natural attrition or the axe, but you can't cut all of them.

Those suggesting buddy should be traded must have arrived on this earth 4 weeks ago and have no memory of anything that happened prior to that date.

Jesus I just read through this whole thread.

There are some incredibly pathetic posts. :thumbsdown:

Fair enogh...can u please explain what is pathetic and why?

Or

if you think it is an overeaction please explain how u think the current list, coach and gameplan can turn it around and achieve a passmark this year (which remember, was a gf appearence)?

Remove this Banner Ad

Rebuilding Hawthorn?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back