Redbacks 2018/19

Remove this Banner Ad

How’s Page coming along?

Had a pretty big year last year in grade cricket but not sure how close he would be to a call up.

And the first squad is out. Looks like Nielsen to bat 6 and Valente at 7 with Pope to play and likely Richardson to sit out. As expected no Carey or Zampa.

Really hope Pope makes it -- has cult hero written all over him.

Low expectations early on, good that he's getting a run though (I assume). A spot is there for him if he goes alright, Zampa has hardly set the world alight in roughly 5 Shield seasons.

Low expectations early on, good that he's getting a run though (I assume). A spot is there for him if he goes alright, Zampa has hardly set the world alight in roughly 5 Shield seasons.
Pope has a long way to go but obviously the talent is there. He has started working a bit more on professionalism off the field. Somewhere he was lacking. They are banking on him taking Zampa’s spot.

I think he'll be best 11 by seasons end. It'll be interesting to see how SA approach their attack, you'd think that Winter starts along with Mennie and Sayers, just whether they go with Richardson, Worrall or Pope as the 4th bowler. I reckon start Richo, he's the second best new ball bowler in the state.

They key for Pope in the short term (apart from his bowling) is if our keeper Carey/Nielsen and Valente can hold down 6 and 7.

If they can it means we can play Pope plus 4 other genuine bowlers. I'm sure we feel more comfortable rolling the dice on a teenager - who may have ups and downs - in that circumstance.

As one of only four bowlers it's a big risk and there's a danger the three quicks get cooked if Pope has an off day.

They key for Pope in the short term (apart from his bowling) is if our keeper Carey/Nielsen and Valente can hold down 6 and 7.

If they can it means we can play Pope plus 4 other genuine bowlers. I'm sure we feel more comfortable rolling the dice on a teenager - who may have ups and downs - in that circumstance.

As one of only four bowlers it's a big risk and there's a danger the three quicks get cooked if Pope has an off day.
As well as the possibilities of Cooper or Head.

Any chance Dalton could slip into the middle order?

He looks to have a heap of talent, but hasn’t yet put it together consistently. Surely Cooper has used up all his chances in 4 day cricket, he’s never been anything other than inconsistent.

Cooper is obviously a good player. Has been a solid Shield performer for a long time. But I agree with you. He's played however long, isn't a standout and we've won nothing while he's been there. Eventually you have to move on. No point sticking with what hasn't worked.

Cooper is obviously a good player. Has been a solid Shield performer for a long time. But I agree with you. He's played however long, isn't a standout and we've won nothing while he's been there. Eventually you have to move on. No point sticking with what hasn't worked.
From what I’ve been told he’ll be very lucky to be there next season. Doesn’t stick to team plans at all. Probably wouldn’t have been retained this season, but they really had no one else to take his place.

From what I’ve been told he’ll be very lucky to be there next season. Doesn’t stick to team plans at all. Probably wouldn’t have been retained this season, but they really had no one else to take his place.
I don't think that's right.

He's looked the most vulnerable for a while. Has lost his contract before. But every time he's about to get squeezed out of the XI there's an injury or Aussie call up. And during his reprieve he gets a ton.

We keep going back to him partly because he's an excellent team man, professional, reliable. I doubt you'd find a team mate with a bad thing to say about him.

That he hasn't been squeezed out yet is an indictment on Dalton, Smith, Page and the next gen for not taking their chance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think that's right.

He's looked the most vulnerable for a while. Has lost his contract before. But every time he's about to get squeezed out of the XI there's an injury or Aussie call up. And during his reprieve he gets a ton.

We keep going back to him partly because he's an excellent team man, professional, reliable. I doubt you'd find a team mate with a bad thing to say about him.

That he hasn't been squeezed out yet is an indictment on Dalton, Smith, Page and the next gen for not taking their chance.
Probably more in the short form of the game that he’s frustrated a few people on the coaching line. Very stuck in his ways is what I’m told. Should have gone on a lot further.

I’m sure he is a great team man, but should he really be in the future plans for SA? Probably not imo.

The young talent with the bat isn’t quite there atm. I’ll agree with that. They haven’t taken their chances. But at the same time the coaching really hasn’t given these guys a lot of direction.

Bowled well second innings without reward. He looks a gun with very good control and turn. All the weapons.
Yep agreed. I always thought he would have debuted with the white ball but so far so good in the shield. Looks to have improved on his control since the last time I watched him so he’s developing pretty well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Redbacks 2018/19

Remove this Banner Ad

Back