Redbacks 2018/19

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah definitely two areas he needs to work hard on unfortunately.
Fielding is non negotiable at international level, he will learn. Hopefully Australian coaches are able to bring him up to the level.
I’m not so concerned about batting so long as he learns to hold up an end and support a bat at the other end.

I don't think that's right.

He's looked the most vulnerable for a while. Has lost his contract before. But every time he's about to get squeezed out of the XI there's an injury or Aussie call up. And during his reprieve he gets a ton.

We keep going back to him partly because he's an excellent team man, professional, reliable. I doubt you'd find a team mate with a bad thing to say about him.

That he hasn't been squeezed out yet is an indictment on Dalton, Smith, Page and the next gen for not taking their chance.
Tom Cooper is the David Mackay of SA Cricket.

Ferg injured, Cooper back in.
What did I tell you?!

I don't think that's right.

He's looked the most vulnerable for a while. Has lost his contract before. But every time he's about to get squeezed out of the XI there's an injury or Aussie call up. And during his reprieve he gets a ton.

We keep going back to him partly because he's an excellent team man, professional, reliable. I doubt you'd find a team mate with a bad thing to say about him.

That he hasn't been squeezed out yet is an indictment on Dalton, Smith, Page and the next gen for not taking their chance.
Now wait for the ton

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's times like these that it's so bothersome that premier cricket is all one day matches for the first month and a bit. Be nice to have blokes pushing for futures/shield spots from red ball runs.
It's the first time they've done the big block of one dayers to start the premier cricket season

Not sure of the reasoning

Agree with you. Should be red ball stuff leading into the Shield and Futures seasons. The JLT Cup being so early makes premier cricket redundant for that competition really. No need to play early one dayers.

PS - good to see you still posting!

Also it's just so depressing looking at the blokes who've scored runs so far in 1st grade this season. A mixture of blokes we've already tried and they've proven themselves mediocre, English imports and then blokes who clearly aren't batsmen at shield level (see: Andrews). There's just nothing coming through.

It's the first time they've done the big block of one dayers to start the premier cricket season

Not sure of the reasoning

Agree with you. Should be red ball stuff leading into the Shield and Futures seasons. The JLT Cup being so early makes premier cricket redundant for that competition really. No need to play early one dayers.

PS - good to see you still posting!

Being recently unemployed and the drafts approaching is a perfect storm for me to re-discover this nightmarish place.

I suspect it's just what worked best in their eyes with the amended fixturing. No tangible benefit especially considering the Redbacks league is already in place. Blokes who hit form against the red ball will really only get the opportunity post big-bash now - guessing that'll be against the dukes again too, so a different ball game again.

It just makes very little sense.

Can I ask what's happened to Kelvin Smith? Looked a start some years back but hasn't had a heap of opportunities at shield level it seems.

Can I ask what's happened to Kelvin Smith? Looked a start some years back but hasn't had a heap of opportunities at shield level it seems.
Didn't handle the step up to first class cricket. Seemed to go into his shell in that environment.

Is a very positive, free scoring batsman at lower levels. Didn't take that game into Shield cricket.

Still only 24 though so hopefully will get another crack with some more maturity and experience behind him.

Do you guys keep Head this week? Honestly struggle to see Valente getting a game if he does, slot Ferg back in and go with Mennie/Sayers/Winter.

Do you guys keep Head this week? Honestly struggle to see Valente getting a game if he does, slot Ferg back in and go with Mennie/Sayers/Winter.

Assume not seeming he's in the ODI squad. I'm not a huge fan of Valente but he'll probably hold his spot until all batsmen are available which could be a while.

Remove this Banner Ad

Redbacks 2018/19

Remove this Banner Ad

Back