Oppo Camp Regular Non Eagles Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
GWS should have romped that in. So many inside 50’s, but no connection or cohesion between any lines. No one prepared to do the unrewarded running- Looked like so many not prepared to run as hard defensively as they were forward. Perhaps they thought it would just happen, but you can’t afford to have that mindset against anyone.

Props to Sydney, defensively they held up terrifically. Hayward played a terrific role on Haynes. Sinclair was terrific against the preseason “recruit of the year” Sam Jacobs who looks as cooked as he did last year in Adelaide.

Fully expecting a fired up GWS side next week. They will be hammered in the media the next week or so. Personally I think the problems lie in the midfield, similar problems that Melbourne have had. Too many similar types in there.

That would have to be one of the worst performances that I have seen from a team at senior level ever.

GWS didn't even manage a goal off their own boot - 3 free kicks that were each questionable.

52 inside 50s but allowing the Swans to rebound out 46 times.

No coach should be able to get away from that.

GWS are tactically barren, have no identity in their play and the commitment from the playing group is looking questionable.

Other teams dishing up dross like this have the excuse that their available squad is broken - GWS don't. They have far too much talent on their books.

They won't be able to escape the scrutiny either, camped in the Perth fishbowl, about to face the two WA clubs.

GWS have a lot of players coming out of contract this year. If this continues to spiral southwards there could end up being a massive exodus after the season.
While you're here Dylan, can you explain this stat to me? If the Giants go inside fifty, kick a point, and then Sydney take the kick to outside the fifty, that's a rebound right?

What if GWS score a point, Sydney kick it in but inside the fifty, and there's a stoppage? Would the ensuing Sydney clearance count as a rebound still? Basically will rebounds always equal inside 50s minus total scoring shots, or are there i50s that don't result in rebounds?

While you're here Dylan, can you explain this stat to me? If the Giants go inside fifty, kick a point, and then Sydney take the kick to outside the fifty, that's a rebound right?

What if GWS score a point, Sydney kick it in but inside the fifty, and there's a stoppage? Would the ensuing Sydney clearance count as a rebound still? Basically will rebounds always equal inside 50s minus total scoring shots, or are there i50s that don't result in rebounds?

As far as I am aware both of those situations would result in rebound 50s.

The only caveat I am aware of is they are only counted once in a single chain of possession. So if say, a team rebounds out from D50 and then handballs back within that D50 before coming out again, it would only count as a single rebound (same goes for inside 50s as well).

Effectively, the only time you won't have inside 50s that result in an opposition rebound 50 is when a goal is scored or if the siren sounds to end the quarter when the ball is inside one of the 50m arcs.

As far as I am aware both of those situations would result in rebound 50s.

The only caveat I am aware of is they are only counted once in a single chain of possession. So if say, a team rebounds out from D50 and then handballs back within that D50 before coming out again, it would only count as a single rebound (same goes for inside 50s as well).

Effectively, the only time you won't have inside 50s that result in an opposition rebound 50 is when a goal is scored or if the siren sounds to end the quarter when the ball is inside one of the 50m arcs.
Interesting. I feel like there needs to be a more nuanced stat for inside 50 defence. Maybe I'm being unreasonable, but a 'rebound' and clearing the ball out of your D50 are very different to me. Rebound to me is very much a live ball play, an intercept mark or knocking your opponent off the ball before exiting 50 to a teammate. Clearing it long from a stoppage isn't that worthwhile to me, and they're certainly not created equal. Maybe as stat that considers rebounds as only live ball rebounds, where a score or a stoppage doesn't add to the tally no matter what happens after them?

If the Eagles go long inside 50 and it comes off a big pack of hands out of bounds, that's still a good thing for us. It gives us a chance to setup, it gives us a chance at a dangerous play with Nic Nat. Should the opponents clear the stoppage, there's every chance they're just banging it long to a very well setup Eagles defence and it probably gets cut off around the wing. That shouldn't count the same as if we go long inside 50 and a defender whisks it off the pack before clearing it well to a teammate outside 50.

It won't be perfect, there's some situations where the defence holding on for a stoppage is a win, or a bad entry kick results in a throw in etc, but I think there needs to be a better way to check how often teams just casually strolled out of defence vs how often a team got to setup their structure and apply some real field position pressure.

I drove past Optus stadium tonight and saw it lit up in the swans colours. It is such an awesome spectacle. Makes me think it would be great to host more neutral games across future seasons, not sure how it would work though. Maybe the povvo clubs could sell home games to Perth.
I remember ten or so years ago North and the AFL were in talks about selling a home game to us to be played at Subi and freo cracked the shits to the point that the idea was scrapped. Which is ironic as we didn't do similar when they were allowed a home game from GC a couple years ago.

Interesting. I feel like there needs to be a more nuanced stat for inside 50 defence. Maybe I'm being unreasonable, but a 'rebound' and clearing the ball out of your D50 are very different to me. Rebound to me is very much a live ball play, an intercept mark or knocking your opponent off the ball before exiting 50 to a teammate. Clearing it long from a stoppage isn't that worthwhile to me, and they're certainly not created equal. Maybe as stat that considers rebounds as only live ball rebounds, where a score or a stoppage doesn't add to the tally no matter what happens after them?

If the Eagles go long inside 50 and it comes off a big pack of hands out of bounds, that's still a good thing for us. It gives us a chance to setup, it gives us a chance at a dangerous play with Nic Nat. Should the opponents clear the stoppage, there's every chance they're just banging it long to a very well setup Eagles defence and it probably gets cut off around the wing. That shouldn't count the same as if we go long inside 50 and a defender whisks it off the pack before clearing it well to a teammate outside 50.

It won't be perfect, there's some situations where the defence holding on for a stoppage is a win, or a bad entry kick results in a throw in etc, but I think there needs to be a better way to check how often teams just casually strolled out of defence vs how often a team got to setup their structure and apply some real field position pressure.

Understand exactly what you mean. Champion Data already has precisely this kind of information (eg possession chains from D50, scores originating from D50, time per possession in different zones, difficulty of skill execution, evaluation of disposal decision-making and so much more) that it provides to the clubs and media, but not us plebs.

What we get publicly for free in comparison to what is compiled from each game are barely the crumbs of a very large pie.

I remember ten or so years ago North and the AFL were in talks about selling a home game to us to be played at Subi and freo cracked the shits to the point that the idea was scrapped. Which is ironic as we didn't do similar when they were allowed a home game from GC a couple years ago.
We also were under the strong belief Brisbane would be hosting us at Optus that year right up until the fixture was released

Was it Freo? I was under the impression Afl said no as it was too much of an advantage for us

As one of the few who paid for the privilege of watching that dross in person last night, I can confirm:
  1. The Giants are in pathetic form. No discernible game plan & absolutely no two-way running by the forwards or mids.
  2. Jeremy Cameron is immensely overrated. Very lazy & frequently stops to a walk. We've been oh so #blessed by JK & JD's defensive work over the years.
  3. If I actively support them while watching, GWS will embarrass themselves & only score 3.7 (25).
  4. Tom Papley is quickly rising my punchable face ranks. Something about small forwards who play for frees...
  5. Sam Jacobs should've retired 4 years ago. Embarrassing to watch him "move" around last night.
  6. Optus Stadium is absolutely beautiful at night & should not only host the 2020 GF, but every single game until the end of time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hows Basils butchering of the Giannis Antetokounmpo?
Watching live coverage of Pelicans v Magic and they showed the footage. Making headlines around the world is our Baz.

Gone from Australia's biggest dunce to world's biggest dunce.

Remember when Norf fans thought they had Gaff sealed, but then he stayed at an actual AFL standard club, so they quickly did the flip and acted like they never wanted him?

Thread title went from something like “Trade and Free Agency - Gaff (done deal)” to “Trade and Free Agency - Polec , Pittard , Hall

Anyway, 2018 boom recruits Polec, Pittard and Hall all dropped this week

Remember when Norf fans thought they had Gaff sealed, but then he stayed at an actual AFL standard club, so they quickly did the flip and acted like they never wanted him?

Thread title went from something like “Trade and Free Agency - Gaff (done deal)” to “Trade and Free Agency - Polec , Pittard , Hall

Daw dropped too - their one good news story

;)

;)

From that title to

2018 Trade, Free Agency & Draft Thread MK 3 [JP✔️ JPII✔️ Hall✔️ BScott✔️ Tyson✔️ Clarke➡️ Preuss➡️]

Remember Dom Tyson 😂

I don’t get it, though. North don’t have 22 players better than Jared Polec. Or Ben Brown. No idea what they’re doing over there, to run these guys out of form.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back