Rename the Olympic Stand

Rename?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

We do know, the AFL would have its 120k Waverly park.
Maybe. 120k stadium that would have people spending more time in the car park than in their seat. I drive past the old girl every day on my way to work- it would never have worked unless they got a train line built.
No marvel obviously, would every game be there? Clubs still using their home bases?

Maybe. 120k stadium that would have people spending more time in the car park than in their seat. I drive past the old girl every day on my way to work- it would never have worked unless they got a train line built.
No marvel obviously, would every game be there? Clubs still using their home bases?
Thank Sir Kenneth Luke. Thay were going to build it in the North out past Regent, IIRC the state government came to the party promising two train lines (a loop from tge Broady and Greensborough lines).

Then they mysteriously changed the location to a swamp in a rain belt with no trains. I wonder whose mates owned the land?

I personally don't think the stand should be renamed, as the stand is not inherently an AFL-unique object

Would Barassi even want the fuss? I get the emotional aspect of his passing and decisions that can be made in haste, but his mark on the game is such that he doesn't need anything to be remembered for his contribution

Perhaps the AFLCA Award can be named The Barassi Award or something like that? His legacy was cemented on his coaching record of pulling Carlton and North Melbourne out from the muck and into prominence

Barassi was great at giving sprays to Keith Greig and Malcolm Blight
David Noble should win the award for his efforts in 2022.
Rodney Eade was pretty good as well
Terry Wallace wins for his, "I'll spew up!" speech after a narrow loss to Collingwood in 1996

I personally don't think the stand should be renamed, as the stand is not inherently an AFL-unique object

Would Barassi even want the fuss? I get the emotional aspect of his passing and decisions that can be made in haste, but his mark on the game is such that he doesn't need anything to be remembered for his contribution

Perhaps the AFLCA Award can be named The Barassi Award or something like that? His legacy was cemented on his coaching record of pulling Carlton and North Melbourne out from the muck and into prominence

The problem is if it's for coaching you have to include his records at Melbourne and Sydney, and they were abysmal.

Five premierships is impressive, no doubt at all, but he's not alone there. Nor the most successful.

The problem is if it's for coaching you have to include his records at Melbourne and Sydney, and they were abysmal.

Five premierships is impressive, no doubt at all, but he's not alone there. Nor the most successful.

He took on both Melbourne and Sydney when they were basket cases. Absolute wrecked.
He contributed to building lists at both clubs and at Sydney especially, got the office sorted. The Swans went from being on the edge of oblivion (again) to being a healthy, stable club for 25 years. His final year in 1995 saw 8 wins after only getting 1 win 2 years prior, and 4 in 1994.

Premierships are not his only measure of success. He took on two clubs at their lowest ebbs. Had he been solely concerned with wins and losses, he would have rejected both offers.

He took on both Melbourne and Sydney when they were basket cases. Absolute wrecked.
He contributed to building lists at both clubs and at Sydney especially, got the office sorted. The Swans went from being on the edge of oblivion (again) to being a healthy, stable club for 25 years. His final year in 1995 saw 8 wins after only getting 1 win 2 years prior, and 4 in 1994.

Premierships are not his only measure of success. He took on two clubs at their lowest ebbs. Had he been solely concerned with wins and losses, he would have rejected both offers.

They should be. They are for everyone else.

Didn't realise Tony Lockett was a senior coach.
Few coaches ever become premiership coaches. That doesn't inherently make them a failure. Tom Hafey was a success at Collingwood IMO. Without him, the Pies would never have made many of those Grand Finals.

The point of Barassi that his legacy goes beyond premierships. Way beyond. To judge only on premierships is myopic. His vision of where he wanted the game to be in the future went way beyond most others at the time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For what? Are we going to start pandering to indigenous people by naming things after them just because they are indigenous? I'd like to think acknowledgement comes from achievement.

So have no Aboriginal people achieved?

Remove this Banner Ad

Rename the Olympic Stand

Back