Autopsy Review: 2024 QF v. Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Dean Brogan gave the best analysis by far I have heard of the game, our list (current and longer term) and chances against Hawthorn on ABC SA this afternoon. Painted a very bleak picture.

Spot on other than the crumbing part. Other than Rioli, our small forwards are coached to scrag and defend their defender. No interest in crumbing a goal or creating space.

Couple of forward entries in the third quarter and both Evans and Mead were literally just wrapping their arms around their defender, zero interest in breaking free to get to the feet of our talls who would have struggled to mark a beach ball.

We only had 4 less inside 50’s than geelong. Imagine having small forwards who are coached to crumb and kick goals.

PS, starting JHF on the half back line for the starting 7 mins of each quarter would have been a better option than the bench.
The disappointing thing is we got the game on our terms for 10 mins in 2nd quarter with a few repeat entries and our main clearance guy is on the bench..

We were screaming out for some brilliance from stoppage and there he is on the bench..

JHF has started on the bench in many games and quarters this year. It's very common. Totally stupid.

Although I guess it's important for captain courageous to start in the middle to really set the tone with his uncompromising effort, brilliant tackling and unrivalled ability to win the hard ball.
My only issue with JHF starting on the pine is that we had one of the worst forward lines ever in the history of football and if he had started forward and we got some momentum maybe we could have been more competitive.

My only issue with JHF starting on the pine is that we had one of the worst forward lines ever in the history of football and if he had started forward and we got some momentum maybe we could have been more competitive.
Did you watch the game? We were ahead at one point in the second quarter and it wasnt because of our midfield or defence. and JHF kicked one of the goals.

We should have been 40 points down at qtr time and never close to pulling it back.

The most disappointing thing I saw was that we are apparently a side that pressures the opposition and have a forward line that is supposed to keep the ball in the area. All I saw was a spud like Zac Guthrie and a 10 games player Humphries walking it out of our forward line time and time again. Where were these pressure forwards?

We had 2 less forward 50's while we were beaten in the midfield. What's the point when the ball just gets turned around, every time we go forward. That's the reason why we lost and is the usual reason we lose.

Too many people crying over the fact we didn't dominate midfield like we normally do.

Dean Brogan gave the best analysis by far I have heard of the game, our list (current and longer term) and chances against Hawthorn on ABC SA this afternoon. Painted a very bleak picture.

The same Dean that was talking them up and getting ahead of himself about this team on Thursday before the game?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Did you watch the game? We were ahead at one point in the second quarter and it wasnt because of our midfield or defence. and JHF kicked one of the goals.

We should have been 40 points down at qtr time and never close to pulling it back.
What are you ranting about? I don't understand what you are trying to say?

If you are trying to say the forward line kept us in the game for 2 quarters you need to watch the game again and probably every loss we've had for past 5 years.

The most disappointing thing I saw was that we are apparently a side that pressures the opposition and have a forward line that is supposed to keep the ball in the area. All I saw was a spud like Zac Guthrie and a 10 games player Humphries walking it out of our forward line time and time again. Where were these pressure forwards?

We had 2 less forward 50's while we were beaten in the midfield. What's the point when the ball just gets turned around, every time we go forward. That's the reason why we lost and is the usual reason we lose.

Too many people crying over the fact we didn't dominate midfield like we normally do.
No17? Humphries killed his opponent all night. Not sure who was even on him?

Ports are chokers with a big fat finals monkey on the back
It’s simple as that
Coaches & players have to take blame
If you can’t perform your best in big games you are a choker

Sweet stunk
Never seen so many hit outs won with no effect. Geelong roved better to our ruck & no one thought of changing it up

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No17? Humphries killed his opponent all night. Not sure who was even on him?

Ports are chokers with a big fat finals monkey on the back
It’s simple as that
Coaches & players have to take blame
If you can’t perform your best in big games you are a choker

Sweet stunk
Never seen so many hit outs won with no effect. Geelong roved better to our ruck & no one thought of changing it up
Yeah Humphries was #17. During the game I was ranting about it, trying to work out who was responsible for him because I didn't see anyone near him the whole time. Was it Rioli, Evans or McEntee or a combination of all of them. I still don't know.

Sweet won tap most of the time but was completely ineffective and I read somewhere else that he was injured. Some things never change with Hinkley.

It's all on Hinkley poorly prepared team who were beaten badly and Scott elaborated about the strategy they used for this game and we were beaten before the game started.

It's all on Hinkley poorly prepared team who were beaten badly and Scott elaborated about the strategy they used for this game and we were beaten before the game started.
I reckon Scott told his players we were chokers & if they applied the pressure we would implode
They started well
Everything went to script so they bought in, got their confidence up & it was over fast. Very similar to 21 prelims. Geelong played some champagne footy

Late in the first I was screaming ffs can anyone win a contested ball? About 20 contested ball wins in a row to them. It was ironically Frankie Evan’s, an ex Geelong player who finally put his head over the ball & won a hard ball

Scott told em we are soft & he was right

Realistically you go into a game and see one of McEntee, Evan’s, narkle listed and it raises an eyebrow
To see all three is madness
To see an injured Dixon struggling again in a final
An injured ruckman struggling again
It’s madness
Then stinkers will say he doesn’t have the cattle? When in reality he does but chooses not to play them
Instead plugging gaps with rejects all the time
Visentini should have played more games than last season & should have played over injured sweet
Lord & Scully should have been given more opportunities over Dixon so you could have played one of them in a final rather than peg leg pirate Dixon
And the small forward hole is not new
Plugging it with rejects isn’t the way

I reckon Scott told his players we were chokers & if they applied the pressure we would implode
They started well
Everything went to script so they bought in, got their confidence up & it was over fast. Very similar to 21 prelims. Geelong played some champagne footy

Late in the first I was screaming ffs can anyone win a contested ball? About 20 contested ball wins in a row to them. It was ironically Frankie Evan’s, an ex Geelong player who finally put his head over the ball & won a hard ball

Scott told em we are soft & he was right
I agree with most of what you say, in my personal opinion the choker narrative is a bit simplistic although totally understandable. Geelong played very well but only as well as we allowed them to play. They dominated us because they owned the ball. Our strategy would have been about pressure and we obviously didn't do that. The question is Why? And also when they had all this uncontested ball what did we do to turn that around. We had no plan B as usual and the game was over at half time because of that. Just like the Prelim Final as you are are saying.

Nobody can tell me that our players are soft and are chokers. There is a reason why we don't perform and it all relates to preparation, strategy and coaching. I agree that Scott may have said that if they get on top early that we would not have an answer and that has been a hallmark of Hinkley teams for many years.

Last edited:
Maybe. Didn’t hear him before the game. Agreed with his analysis after.

Is Dean a bad judge or bad person, that I wasn’t aware of?

Just pointing out his complete 180 in 24 hours.

I couldn’t quite work out why there were so many overly optimistic port fans on the eve of finals, and this was somehow a different group made of different stuff.

Completely uninspiring pretty-boy choice as captain. And it would be even more embarrassing to strip him of the captaincy now. We really shot ourselves in the foot with this one and I fear it's going to cost us for years.

Why do we have such a problem with bestowing it to the right guy?

• 2004/5: Choco annoints Tredrea captain in what should’ve been the no-brainer of no-brainers for all concerned given Warren’s titanic performance and leadership in delivering the premiership. Perennial ACL-victim Matthew Primus instead shocks the coach, declaring he wishes to remain the wearer of the #1 guernsey, forcing Choco into the compromise of putting it to player vote.

The incumbent wins, putting the best player in the comp’s nose out of joint, and setting up a ridiculous scenario where the hottest ruck tandem in the comp — Lade/Brogan — is eventually broken up, after shoehorning Primus into the team from Round 1 is a disaster for team balance.

• 2008/9: Tredrea knows his time is almost up and abdicates to focus on what’s left of his own game. Choco wants to anoint Shaun Burgoyne, but the CEO and board is keen to dilute the coach’s formidable powerbase and cliques within the playing group, amidst wider concerns pertaining to Shaun’s knee. The board intervenes and picks Dom Cassisi over Burgoyne and the Cornes brothers. This franks Shaun’s desire to leave at the end of the year.

• 2018/9: After a very solid captaincy, Travis Boak hands on to focus on his sunset years. In its wisdom, the club decides to shelve the #1 tradition and run with co-captains for the first time, citing varying drivel about it “being the best thing for success” and “Sydney does it!”, amidst concerted member backlash.

Co-Captain Wines endures a firestorm of criticism about appropriate downtime behaviour after injuring his shoulder wakeboarding on Australia Day weekend, setting the tone for an injury-riddled season of just 12 games.

Co-Captain Jonas shows support for Wines by posting a picture of himself skiing — “enjoying my 9-to-5”, or similar — in one of the more relatable gestures from a Port player to the fans.

• 2023: Having taken on the captaincy by himself from 2020-onward, it becomes painfully clear from very early on Jonas is no longer worthy of a first team place but retains the #1 guernsey, in what can only be considered an epic failure of forward planning and/or personal delusion.

He labours through 8 of the first 9 games of the season before he and the coaches finally concede, relegating him to the reserves and break-glass status thereafter.

• 2023/4: Connor Rozee, a superb young player with 2 All-Australian guernseys under his belt by the age of 23 takes it on after Jonas retires.

Hopefully he grows into the role after an inauspicious start.

Just pointing out his complete 180 in 24 hours.

I couldn’t quite work out why there were so many overly optimistic port fans on the eve of finals, and this was somehow a different group made of different stuff.

Many of us had misplaced hope and optimism and were desperate to get on board a train again thinking it was going to a new and sunnier destination. We were all idiots for wasting that positive energy and mindset on a group that has let us down for longer than I remember.

I've listened to him before and found that he errs on the side of Ken apologist/it's the list.

You just can't analyse without calling out Ken, no matter if his takes on the players are right. It would be like talking about Japan losing WW2 without mentioning the bombs.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

You don't want to get Dean Brogan angry.

But I don't think the list is bad, it was some holes yes, but also has some serious top end talent.

But if the coach can't prepare that group to play in finals, there is a problem.

Watching other finals so far this year and only one team didn't come out fired up and fight out every contest from the start. And yet we know that team can do that.

Media gone into overdrive to protect Ken and blame the fans.
Jars wouldnt hear a bad word about Ken at the start of the MMM show yesterday arvo before pointing out 4 baffling coaching decisions and admitting it was on Ken undrr sufference.

Then Dittmar on MMM this morning telling fans they have to turn up to the semi or dont go looking for Prelim tickets should we win.
Ok for Ditts to say, he probably gets an all expenses paid night.
The rest of us pay to 'show up' which 50k did Thursday night, it was our team that didnt 'show up'.
Well im sorry Ditts but until our team 'show up' in a home final I certainly wont be.
And there wont be too many looking for Prelim tickets as those of us who 'showed up' last time have been robbed of a home Prelim.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Review: 2024 QF v. Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back