Autopsy Review: 2024 QF v. Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

• 2018/9: After a very solid captaincy, Travis Boak hands on to focus on his sunset years. In its wisdom, the club decides to shelve the #1 tradition and run with co-captains for the first time, citing varying drivel about it “being the best thing for success” and “Sydney does it!”, amidst concerted member backlash.

Co-Captain Wines endures a firestorm of criticism about appropriate downtime behaviour after injuring his shoulder wakeboarding on Australia Day weekend, setting the tone for an injury-riddled season of just 12 games.

Co-Captain Jonas shows support for Wines by posting a picture of himself skiing — “enjoying my 9-to-5”, or similar — in one of the more relatable gestures from a Port player to the fans.
Neither had been announced as Captains yet when Wines water skiing incident and the response from Jonas occured.

Neither had been announced as Captains yet when Wines water skiing incident and the response from Jonas occured.
If this is true, it just makes everything worse…

If this is true, it just makes everything worse…
Said before, the players wanted Jonas. Hinkley wanted Wines, Hinkley overruled and insisted co captains to ensure Wines was captain.

Why?

They are both shit so I may as well vote for the one that's going to help us build Alberton..

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app
fair, I was referencing getting all offended about the pretend port-crows banter.
honestly i voted labor last time purely out of spite because Marshal banned plastic straws.

Mandela Effect has got me.

Makes the ‘co-captains is the only way we will get out of this Portdemic’ push even worse.

Chad on Dixon "His body is really good..."
lying top gun GIF

Does anyone know if there was a blow up at half time? (A la lever and laird in the 2017 grand final)

While we were being completely outplayed in the first half, we seemed to at least be having a crack. From the first bounce of the second half, we had pretty much conceded defeat despite being 20 points down.

Does anyone know if there was a blow up at half time? (A la lever and laird in the 2017 grand final)

While we were being completely outplayed in the first half, we seemed to at least be having a crack. From the first bounce of the second half, we had pretty much conceded defeat despite being 20 points down.

It just looked like the players have seen this scenario in finals over and over again and gave up.

Something else I found interesting on the night. We normally arrive 60-80 mins before the bounce and thats gives me the chance to get the kids settled and we get to watch the teams warm up. We arrived about 70 mins prior to the bounce, Geelong were already on the oval. Their warmup went probably 20 mins longer than usual. Waited, waited, waited, still no Port. Thought maybe we missed it. Nope. They came out, did a warmup which seemed about 15 mins shorter than usual. Found that interesting in retrospect. Seemed like Geelong just came here completely switched on and ready to rumble. We seemed to be going through the motions.

No17? Humphries killed his opponent all night. Not sure who was even on him?

Ports are chokers with a big fat finals monkey on the back
It’s simple as that
Coaches & players have to take blame
If you can’t perform your best in big games you are a choker

Sweet stunk
Never seen so many hit outs won with no effect. Geelong roved better to our ruck & no one thought of changing it up
The monkey on the back is very real, first 90 seconds of the game 4 or 5 different players fumbled or panicked we were like deer in the headlights from the first minute. On top of that the players have the resilience of a nit, so many front runners. A 196 point turnaround from the Sydney game is incomprehensible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It actually looked like they conceded and were preparing for next week. Butters going off for an 'injury'. Lack of effort and running. Lack of intention to put the body on the line.

It actually looked like they conceded and were preparing for next week. Butters going off for an 'injury'. Lack of effort and running. Lack of intention to put the body on the line.
No that’s not conceding for next week, that’s just a complete lack of resilience responsibility leadership work rate mental strength care factor trust ambition etc etc

No that’s not conceding for next week, that’s just a complete lack of resilience responsibility leadership work rate mental strength care factor trust ambition etc etc
Maybe but the stark change from the second quarter to third indicated that there was a change in mindset.

The first half they just looked unskilled and out of their league. The second half it was actually a lack of effort, which is pretty damning.

Did the pre-finals bye actually do more harm than good? 12 days of prep time and they dished up that sort of performance. How could they not prepare for the game well enough and be switched on and play tough hard footy?

What did Port Adelaide actually do in those 12 days leading up to the game? Because its an 84 point smashing in all facets of the game. Teams don't just lose like that. Something must have not been right in the lead up to the game.

Maybe but the stark change from the second quarter to third indicated that there was a change in mindset.

The first half they just looked unskilled and out of their league. The second half it was actually a lack of effort, which is pretty damning.
The lack of effort was there in the first half don’t worry about that.

Something else I found interesting on the night. We normally arrive 60-80 mins before the bounce and thats gives me the chance to get the kids settled and we get to watch the teams warm up. We arrived about 70 mins prior to the bounce, Geelong were already on the oval. Their warmup went probably 20 mins longer than usual. Waited, waited, waited, still no Port. Thought maybe we missed it. Nope. They came out, did a warmup which seemed about 15 mins shorter than usual. Found that interesting in retrospect. Seemed like Geelong just came here completely switched on and ready to rumble. We seemed to be going through the motions.

All the little things make big things.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

So after a 3 possession game where he contributed nothing he’s basically been guaranteed his spot

So I’d also expect mcentee to play as well..

Fitting I guess that in the coaches last game he continues his stubbornness in selection..

Good riddance to the lot of them
There’s an infuriating level of smugness that emanates from our footy department, whether it’s Ken, Chad, CD or whoever talking.

Whenever they’re asked about team or individual poor performance, they give off the impression it’s a total imposition to be asked, that the question was totally inappropriate, and then respond with some vague, smug generality like they have all the magical answers under lock and key and how dare you question us?

“Yeah Charlie, I’ve heard a little bit of talk about him”.

What the **** does that mean? Is it off limits to criticise a player that was a complete passenger in a finals game?

Not sure why these guys are so smug given the embarrassing losses they regularly preside over. **** we need a clean out.

I’m flying home to the Middle East Thursday……hope you experience a better game than I did!!
Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Did you buy your ticket when you were in Australia - I struggled with the link last week buying tickets for the kids. When the link didn’t work I did the usual vpn thing but no luck - I’m guessing it’s going to happen on Monday as well.

Yep I reckon we totally stuffed up the attitude we should’ve had . It’s inexcusable really to not be switched on , we were lucky we didn’t get blown away early , we got back into it , hit the front and went back to going through the motions and their was no coming back from there , ended up a trading run for the Cats .
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again , get a better mind coach because throughout our time in the AFL mental toughness

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Review: 2024 QF v. Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back