Autopsy Review v Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

Lack of run. The midfield lol.

They obliterated us through the middle all day. We might have won in the centre square but it ended there.
We only won centre clearances by 1 and won stoppages around the ground by 11. Lack of run was from everyone tbf but Ross, Billings, Sinclair and Acres were all varying levels of good today.

Are we that far off it or have our defenders never come up against a zone that effective this year?!

Either way, we should've been able to adjust at some stage today. No fluency and butchered it forward of the center again.

1. Skill work was about 20%, you cannot be in games of footy and win games of footy when you consistently;
  • Miss targets by foot under no or little pressure.
  • Miss targets by hand under no or little pressure.
  • Miss holding the football under no or little pressure.
We won clearances, we rebounded and then either kicked to the opposition, handballed to the opposition or did one of these two things correctly to our players, only it was too high, too low, to slow, too fast, it was oval and red and scary.

• It's just not cricket, but catches win matches. Our short game was shocking, utterly deplorable, there was very little we did in the air that wasn't telegraphed easily, picked off or simply screwed up due to the fact that out disposing was about 20%.
  • Not a 90's Boyband, but we simply don't stick tackles on anyone who is strong of frame, there is a lot of effort and attempt to do so, but they often just shrug a bit and then we fail or otherwise can't be bothered. When we are good, is when we are against similarly bodied people, when we are bad, we are effecitvely ragdolled as evidenced by no real tackle pressure on your Buddy, Kennedy, Hanners yet by comparison Ross, Weller, Steven, Gresh were all pumped and moved off the line, off the ball and etc.
  • The positive: We're not Richmond.

Two words..

WORK RATE

Too many passengers, not enough ready to work with ross in the middle... won't overreact, no mass changes etc.. just a good old fashioned reality check for an up and coming side

I don't agree.
Work rate was fine. Skills and ability lacking.

Midfield got absolutely killed and it's time to try and give Marshall a game because unfortunately in todays game hitouts don't justify being selected (Jacob's v melbourne) if you can't do anything around the ground.
Except Jacobs got a tonne of hitouts and his team still lost clearances. Billy got more than Sinclair but his hitouts were more effective too meaning we won the clearances by 12. Again, it's not Billy's fault we lost and we don't need to replave him.

I think our game plan does not work against teams who likes to kick footy a lot. Example we got beaten by melbourne and today against sydney. We almost lost against carlton last week.

Next year in pre-season we need to change our game plan on how to tackle against these type of teams.

Also change our forward 50 entry as our tall forwards become useless if we keep on playing long bomb.

Except Jacobs got a tonne of hitouts and his team still lost clearances. Billy got more than Sinclair but his hitouts were more effective too meaning we won the clearances by 12. Again, it's not Billy's fault we lost and we don't need to replave him.
So judging by Jacobs the ruckman doesn't have that big an influence on the clearances?

In that case, what's the point in playing Longer for 3 effective handballs a game?

1. Montagna was terrible. He didnt even compete 1v1. Terrible. I would drop him.
2. We missed newnes and webster largely due to their contested football. Sydney wanted it more and deserved to smash us. No heart.
3. I dont understand our structures. I felt like we had nothing up front. Nothing on the ball. Weird. We had an extra midfielder....
4. Mckenzie, paddy and bruce must play. We need games into them. We won't win this year but could next or the year after.
5. Longer... i want to believe... but struggling to find something i like
6. A week is a long time in football. Win next week and all is well
7. Last one... take buddy, mills and heeney out and sydney dont win. I still find this hard to comprehend. Completly unfair.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Below average:
Longer (got molested by an average ruckman)
That's a nice attempt to pass off the blame except he didn't. Easily won hitouts, easily won hitouts to advantage, layed more tackles than 80% of our players. Didn't get much of the ball but a big reason for that was cos everyone was handballing at his feet. Sinclair had it late but most of the time he wasn't even playing on Longer such as when he was resting forward.

One of the worst performances I've seen from a St Kilda side, normally we go down fighting even when we lose but we were pathetic today.

We just rolled over and handed the Swans so many easy goals from stupid turnovers it wasn't funny.

Need to make a few changes to get Hickey, Bruce and Webster/Savage back in but we also need to come to play with intent to win like the last few weeks.

Matt Finnis needs to get the roof shut too for our day games at Etihad, playing games in the blinding light doesn't help our poor disposal skills.

That 3rd quarter we were trying to kick out from defence into a spotlight FFS which is when the game was won and lost, in the 4th quarter the sun had set.

7. Last one... take buddy, mills and heeney out and sydney dont win. I still find this hard to comprehend. Completly unfair.
I'm fairly confident they could have had any muppet instead of Franklin and they would have crushed us today.

Heeney and Mills were hardly major factors in us losing.

They have a whole heap of rookie and late draft picks that they turn into stars of the comp. Full credit to them.

Shout out if you thought we'd go through the season undefeated.
Yeah, thats right... Crickets!!!!!!

We'll get back to focussing on footy this week.
IMO the MM media beatup had an impact.

Keep it in perspective.
We're on a journey not a sprint.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Review v Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

Back