Autopsy Review v Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

So judging by Jacobs the ruckman doesn't have that big an influence on the clearances?

In that case, what's the point in playing Longer for 3 effective handballs a game?
I don't know how to say it any more clearly but that's actually not what I said. I said Longer hit MORE hitouts to ADVANTAGE. Hitouts alone don't make a significant difference but when he puts it down our players throats so often that our supposedly inferior midfield can win 12 more clearances he actually makes a pretty bloody big difference.

One of the worst performances I've seen from a St Kilda side, normally we go down fighting even when we lose but we were pathetic today.

We just rolled over and handed the Swans so many easy goals from stupid turnovers it wasn't funny.

Need to make a few changes to get Hickey, Bruce and Webster/Savage back in but we also need to come to play with intent to win like the last few weeks.

Matt Finnis needs to get the roof shut too for our day games at Etihad, playing games in the blinding light doesn't help our poor disposal skills.

That 3rd quarter we were trying to kick out from defence into a spotlight FFS which is when the game was won and lost, in the 4th quarter the sun had set.
Whole heartedly agree with the roof closed point.

One of the worst performances I've seen from a St Kilda side, normally we go down fighting even when we lose but we were pathetic today.

We just rolled over and handed the Swans so many easy goals from stupid turnovers it wasn't funny.

Need to make a few changes to get Hickey, Bruce and Webster/Savage back in but we also need to come to play with intent to win like the last few weeks.

Matt Finnis needs to get the roof shut too for our day games at Etihad, playing games in the blinding light doesn't help our poor disposal skills.

That 3rd quarter we were trying to kick out from defence into a spotlight FFS which is when the game was won and lost, in the 4th quarter the sun had set.
Yep. Venue has a roof. USE IT AFL

Crucible.jpg

Rolling over & getting flogged like that will put us in 10th by the end of the round. The team should be ashamed
It's actually quite staggering that we only lost by 50 points. It felt like an 80 point loss.

That's what was so disappointing about it for mine. We were playing poorly from the very start, but for most of the first 3 quarters we were still well within reach of them and it felt like all we had to do was actually get our shit together for a quarter and we'd win it, but we weren't even able to play one good quarter, and as the game wore on Sydney got more and more confident and capitalised better and better on our shitness.

At least against Melbourne we had one terrific quarter. Today we didn't even have one good one.

Last edited:
1. Montagna was terrible. He didnt even compete 1v1. Terrible. I would drop him.
7. Last one... take buddy, mills and heeney out and sydney dont win. I still find this hard to comprehend. Completly unfair.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

I think Monty has reached the stage Schneider was at towards the end, more there for game knowledge.

Can't agree with point 7: they were stronger than us all over the field. I won't list the names but it's an insult to the Swans and patronising to our team.

Swans are quality and have been for years no matter the opposition. We got a good honest look at where we're really at.

Still plenty of progress to make.

Shout out if you thought we'd go through the season undefeated.
Yeah, thats right... Crickets!!!!!!

We'll get back to focussing on footy this week.
IMO the MM media beatup had an impact.

Keep it in perspective.
We're on a journey not a sprint.
Nobody, but three of our four losses, we have turned it up and did not fight it out at all
Really poor. Team getting ahead of themselves.

Savage needs to come in. He's a 70m pin point player. Could have broken through Sydneys really strong zone with him.

I'm not a fan of McKenzie. Should have taken Touk.

Paddy far from being an afl player. Effectively a man down if he doesn't mark it. Hopefully Bruce is straight back in next week.

Agree, McKenzie and McCartin just didn't look up to AFL standard today, just goes to show how VFL form can be overrated, they looked out of their depth.

Bruce and Savage aren't the greatest players but they are AFL standard that know the workrate and speed required.

I think our game plan does not work against teams who likes to kick footy a lot. Example we got beaten by melbourne and today against sydney. We almost lost against carlton last week.

Next year in pre-season we need to change our game plan on how to tackle against these type of teams.

Also change our forward 50 entry as our tall forwards become useless if we keep on playing long bomb.

So we should be good against dogs next week then

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree, McKenzie and McCartin just didn't look up to AFL standard today, just goes to show how VFL form can be overrated, they looked out of their depth.

Bruce and Savage aren't the greatest players but they are AFL standard that know the workrate and speed required.

Missing Webster, Newnes injured & Robbo neutralised killed us. No run

I don't think Newnes and Webster would have really helped tbh. Sydney were extremely good at filling space in the middle of the ground where we like to move the ball.

We had no plan B. At any stage.

Just ran ourselves into trouble constantly.

I want Paddy to be the next Plugger as much as anyone and today was a nightmare day to be a key forward for the Saints. But it's time to take off the rose coloured glasses where Paddy's concerned. The reality is he is yet to play one good 4 quarter game in the AFL. Sure we get plenty of cameos of what he can do but in my book until I see it on the big stage he is just a good VFL player. We are happy to use that label to describe Minchington and Wright but in fairness at least they have occasionally delivered in the big league. Not so Paddy.

This is not a knock on the guy or a comparison with Josh Bruce who no doubt would've struggled today also. I 'm just waiting for him to take a game by the scruff of the neck and so far he hasn't come close to doing it. Personally, I reckon the media got Paddy selected this week with unfounded suggestions that he was an unhappy camper. Sure he kicked 4 at Sandy last week but...meh. I remember many times TDL kicked 5 or 6 goals for Sandy but he never came close to translating it onto the AFL arena.

We will all live in hope that the next game will be Paddy's break out day but frankly I'm over it and will just applaud it when it happens. In the meantime we have to suffer and watch Petracca evolve into the great player every one with open eyes knew he would be.

I also think the timing of Paddy's selection this time around was crazy. We changed a lineup that had won 3 straight games and brought him in when we were facing the Swans, Dogs and Crows. You can almost see the writing on the wall from here. He'll play those games then get dropped back to Sandy with zero confidence. I wouldn't have cared if he had played another 6 games in the VFL. Let him build up a undeniable run of form and then bring him into the side when we have a run of winnable games.

Again, I'm not blaming him in anyway for the sh.it performance by the team today but the time has well and truly arrived when we stop creaming over his small highlight reel and demand more.

Last edited:
I don't agree.
Work rate was fine. Skills and ability lacking.

Disagree. Workrate OFF the ball was appalling, Sydney went 1v1 and we stopped moving, giving no options forward of the ball. And certainly not moving enough to even create any options.

Going to give it to the coach here but where was an alternate game plan. We did the same thing the entire day, we never tried to hold onto the ball, we never tried to just chip it forward a little at a time, if we couldn't slingshot out of defence we were hopeless.

Now the forward entries, ffs. Even div4 ammos do it better than this StKilda side. The number of times we burnt a decent lead from a fwd to just bomb it in the a mindless moron was astounding, automatic instinct for these blokes is just bang it long and like Carlsook, Sydney just outnumbered us and ran it out.

Not going to give it to Paddy to much because of the above reason but seriously this kid doesn't have a second effort in him at all, just plodded along mindless to the fact he has to chase and pressure. No change since his other 3games this year where no ****s given to a 2nd efforts.

Time for some heads to roll after that

That was a mess

We really miss webster. Dmac tried but our ability to kick through sydney's press was really really poor. It was poor from richo too to not change our game plan, seeing as we were winning clearance, we should have played down the line hoping for a contest/throw in, to at least reset and win the next clearance, but we just kept doing the same thing.

It was one of those games where every new person that ran into the shot was a swan, which wouldn't have been a problem if I wasn't so skint and could go to the game, but.. the swans just worked that much harder than us, it was a really poor effort.

our skills in general were really poor.

disappointed with:

Dunstan - slow, crap tank, no spread, plays like he doesn't give a shit

McKenzie - battled hard, second half was better, but when the game was there to be won he made way too many errors. Hasn't played much senior footy and first game back so would be pretty nervous, give him another run.

Weller - Got some easy touches late but other than that didn't have his head in the game. Been down a few weeks now. Not playing like someone worthy of the leadership group

Montagna - His loopy kicking is not ageing well given how well teams are pressing these days. Didn't go hard enough. No point of difference.

Gresham - Really needs to build his tank. I almost hopes he stops impacting on the scoreboard and gets dropped, because he needs a real kick up the bum, way too talented, needs to impact throughout the game rather than in spurts.

played ok:

Paddy - limited opportunity, hard to mark. Got it as many times as membrey and gresh and was playing deep. Gets another game

Koby - went in hard, back him in to play better next week

Steven - quiet but 27 touches, a bit of run

Brown - junk time goals for buddy

Sinclair - hard day for wingers

Membrey - 2 goals, did ok when we kicked it to him

Carlisle - some poor turnovers but was under siege

Longer - typical longer performance. Needs to work on his hands in close. Followed up well but it didn't come off.

Geary - Missing goals now means missing captains goals. Needed to kick them

Roberton - Got a lot of it but was rushed and wasn't disposing like he can. Down game.

Positives/tried hard all game:

Ross - 36 touches, quick hands

Billings - 32, didn't have a chance to impact the scoreboard due to the game being played in our back half

Acres - Gone from fringe player to consistent 20's. Improving each week

Steele - consistent, will be better for it

Roo - 19 touches and managed to get his 3 goals from limited opportunity, because he never stops working

The game plan frustrated me, especially because richo just didn't want to change it up, but I guess it mainly came down to us being purely out worked, it wouldn't have mattered what style we played, our heads weren't in it.

Have to say, I think this sledging thing really affected us. Or maybe we just felt like taking it easy this week. Whatever it is it would be nice if the club could let us know prior to the match because I would have preferred to do something less stressful this afternoon. Very frustrating watching.

Whole heartedly agree with the roof closed point.
Yeah, maybe we can just get them to make it an online game, then our players can play from their lounge room and choose their own lighting.

If these guys can't handle playing into the sun how will we win away from Etihad in the daytime?

Re: Longer
Things he's good at:
Tapwork, particularly to advantage
Things he's bad at:
Every other aspect of football

Now so many ruckman through the history of the game are witches hats once the ball goes to ground. Handballing to a stationary witches hat doesn't help either because he can't do anything with it.
What Longer does need to do is MARK THE FOOTBALL. A good ruckman around the ground can take intercept marks and fill the hole and then allow us to rebound. Can also push forward and take a nice pack mark every now and then.
Longer for his size can not take a mark to save his life.
Only players on the ground not to mark the ball are Brown, Longer, Newnes.
Brown for the first time this year met his match being forced to go 1v1 with Buddy, error in coaching. Newnes was injured. It's not good enough from Longer and if he can't make an impact using his size at big boys are there for, we may as well give others a chance

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I want Paddy to be the next Plugger as much as anyone and today was a nightmare day to be a key forward for the Saints. But it's time to take of the rose coloured glasses where Paddy's concerned. The reality is he is yet to play one good 4 quarter game in the AFL. Sure we get plenty of cameos of what he can do but in my book until I see it on the big stage he is just a good VFL player. We are happy to use that label to describe Minchington and Wright but in fairness at least they have occasionally delivered in the big league. Not so Paddy.

This is not a knock on the guy or a comparison with Josh Bruce who no doubt would've struggled today also. I 'm just waiting for him to take a game by the scruff of the neck and so far he hasn't come close to doing it. Personally, I reckon the media got Paddy selected this week with unfounded suggestions that he was an unhappy camper. Sure he kicked 4 at Sandy last week but...meh. I remember many times TDL kicked 5 or 6 goals for Sandy but he never came close to translating it onto the AFL arena.

We will all live in hope that the next game will be Paddy's break out day but frankly I'm over it and will just applaud it when it happens. In the meantime we have to suffer and watch Petracca evolve into the great player every one with open eyes knew he would be.

I also think the timing of Paddy's selection this time around was crazy. We changed a lineup that had won 3 straight games and brought him in when we were facing the Swans, Dogs and Crows. You can almost see the writing on the wall from here. He'll play those games then get dropped back to Sandy with zero confidence. I wouldn't have cared if he had played another 6 games in the VFL. Let him build up a undeniable run of form and then bring him into the side when we have a run of winnable games.

Again, I'm not blaming him in anyway for the sh.it performance by the team today but the time has well and truly arrived when he stop creaming over his small highlight real and demand more.
Agreed. Would've not been to fussed if he'd played all season in the VFL.

hmmm

just got back

swans were outstanding

positives were acres, ross, steele, billings, roberton

we had 7 marks from our inside 50's vs 18 marks to the swans inside 50's

in my opinion, worst loss we have had since 2014-15 period

congrats to the swans, they were much better than us

When they got the ball out of their back 50 quickly they usually had options galore ahead of them, generally in loads of space, whereas when we did it we had no-one to kick it to most of the time.

How the hell does that happen? There is something seriously wrong there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Review v Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

Back