Autopsy Review vs Port

Remove this Banner Ad

Our effort and intensity vs Port was sensational, but our skills and fiinishing let us down. Also need to be smarter in the way we play. Too often we bomb it long direct to opposition. Also need to work on some of our set up work a bit more. We can get lazy at times and not work hard enough to get in position for next play. Our Mids and Forwards need work. Our defence as a whole, would be our best area this year.
This is a perfect summation of our entire flipping year.

After a quiet first half, was excellent that Acres had 17 disposals for the 2nd half.

That's the 2nd time this year he's had 17 in a half (first was our first half v Sydney at Etihad, from memory).

Next step is for him to have 17 or so in the first half of a game and then similar in the 2nd as well and then he could be off to the races.
Yep... And then he just watched as Robbie Gray just waltzed in to kick the winning goal.

Spends too much of his time with his head off with the fairies.

Couldnt watch game live and finally got time to watch recording.
Great write up there Wright 1.

I guess in a way I'm lucky....couldn't watch the game...didn't listen to it...and haven't read one thing about it since....it's almost like it didn't happen...I WISH !!!!!!

Great write up there Wright 1.

I guess in a way I'm lucky....couldn't watch the game...didn't listen to it...and haven't read one thing about it since....it's almost like it didn't happen...I WISH !!!!!!
We actually played very well in the wet. Poor goalkicking and a few bad mistakes in last couple of mins cost us badly. If we kicked 8.8 instead of 4.12 to 3/4 time, we win easy

Yep... And then he just watched as Robbie Gray just waltzed in to kick the winning goal.

Spends too much of his time with his head off with the fairies.

Yep, he and all the more experienced leaders in the team.

I watched the last part of the Hawks v Swans game the other night, and the leadership late in the game of Hodge was crucial around the half back area- directing the players, settling a few hotheads, and it paid off. Contrast to our PA game, I just don't recall our captain doing a lot of running up the ground, directing, pointing, settling, etc to the players upfield in the last couple of mins when we just seemed to take it easy rather than really locking down..

With the game up for grabs in the last quarter, with us down by 7 points at 3/4 time and so much experience out of the team, the following stepped up, with 5 or more disposals for the quarter:

11: Sinclair
8: Ross, Billings
7: Steven
6: Carlisle, Steele, Acres
5: Weller, Webster

Josh Bruce needs to take his marks. I know it was wet, but Josh couldn't even hold chest marks. 0.3 for the game again, he needs to get his goalkicking mojo back too. To me it seems that Josh is perhaps a guy who doesn't like the pressure on him and simply tries too hard to perform
When the ball dried up Bruce took some big marks but they were mostly in the back half. He didn't get any favours from the umps in the forward line. He actually had the most contested marks on the ground. He may have been playing in the ruck at the time. By contrast I didn't see Longer get his hands on the ball in a marking contest.

Josh needs to forget kicking around the corner. He is atrocious at that. Maybe Roo could give him some lessons before he goes because he is one of the best in the league.

I watched the last part of the Hawks v Swans game the other night, and the leadership late in the game of Hodge was crucial around the half back area- directing the players, settling a few hotheads, and it paid off. Contrast to our PA game, I just don't recall our captain doing a lot of running up the ground, directing, pointing, settling, etc to the players upfield in the last couple of mins when we just seemed to take it easy rather than really locking down..

Geary is experienced.
Roberton is experienced.
Brown is experienced.
Carlisle is experienced.

All hold positions in the back half of the ground, why have you singled out one of them who is usually stationed in the pocket as opposed to anyone else on the field who could have stepped up since it's a leadership group?

Why not Newnes? Why not Steven? Why not Weller?

Yes, Geary is captain, this does not mean that he wasn't directing since the back line was set up 90%, Acres simply got sucked into the contest from that hole he was in. If you're critising Geary in that capacity you're doing ti because Steele was guarding space where the ball would never be in 9/10 situations with 17 seconds left, otherwise it's entirely on Acres being sucked in when all he had to do was hold, then run at Gray.

Just making a point about strong and demonstrative leadership. Who of our players from midfield was running with Gray to put pressure on as he was coming down the ground doing what in effect was a set play- Acres was at the tail end of the sequence.

If only he was just 21yo and with only 40 games to his name!
Yep, I get that. But my point is, that's a clear area for him to improve: concentration, especially over the whole 4 quarters.

When the ball dried up Bruce took some big marks but they were mostly in the back half. He didn't get any favours from the umps in the forward line. He actually had the most contested marks on the ground. He may have been playing in the ruck at the time. By contrast I didn't see Longer get his hands on the ball in a marking contest.

Josh needs to forget kicking around the corner. He is atrocious at that. Maybe Roo could give him some lessons before he goes because he is one of the best in the league.
I reckon 1 lesson for that would be plenty. You go like this, then this, then practice it a couple of hundred times. Awesome, thanks Nick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just watched the entire second half, as I missed plenty live.

We were shocking. There are a few reasons we weren't blown away.

Carlisle.
Umpires heavily in our favour.
Port were also rubbish.

Here are some details about just a how terrible we were:

Our positioning was amateur, and I counted plenty of times where we had 3-5 players about 20m or 5 seconds behind the ball jogging or stationary. Same with going for the mark or whatever, up to 3 players running to meet the ball like school kids at lunchtime.

Lazy half efforts. Jogging around, no commitment, no anticipation. No determination.

Just shocking goal kicking. Embarrassing that a whole team can kick 2 goals in 3 quarters of footy against reasonable but not elite defence. Garbage.

Lazy disposal to legs, ground in front. A team full of players out of sync with each other. Doubled the workload with such poor decision-making.

Ineffective flying tackles rather than crunching. A lot of self-preservation.

Apart from perhaps MacKenzie and Membery - and Dunstan if I'm generous, no Saints player went to another level, demanded the ball and pushed us through. This was the chance for the young leaders to say "This is our club now. Stuv, Armo, Gilbo, Dempster, Joey, Roo; we'll take it from here." Bruce, Newnes, Weller, Billings, Sinclair, Steele, Ross all had little cameos but needed to start the comeback earlier and punish them in the forth. Some stood up but not enough, some continued drifting on the periphery.

Our club cannot get better with such poor organisation and leadership. I hope they extensively review this game again in the pre-season and make this the antithesis of the way we play moving forward.

Thank god for Jake Carlisle, but in a way his heroics shielded us from the truth. We were not thrashed, because the opposition were also out of form. We simply didn't play as a professional football team. We were ameteurish clowns and I'm hoping the coaching team reviews the game in that light and if they don't, they should be replaced with coaches who demand and get more.

Carlisle.
Port were also rubbish.

Our positioning was amateur, and I counted plenty of times where we had 3-5 players about 20m or 5 seconds behind the ball jogging or stationary. Same with going for the mark or whatever, up to 3 players running to meet the ball like school kids at lunchtime.

Lazy half efforts. Jogging around, no commitment, no anticipation. No determination.

Just shocking goal kicking. Embarrassing that a whole team can kick 2 goals in 3 quarters of footy against reasonable but not elite defence. Garbage.

Lazy disposal to legs, ground in front. A team full of players out of sync with each other. Doubled the workload with such poor decision-making.

Apart from perhaps MacKenzie and Membery - and Dunstan if I'm generous, no Saints player went to another level, demanded the ball and pushed us through. This was the chance for the young leaders to say "This is our club now. Stuv, Armo, Gilbo, Dempster, Joey, Roo; we'll take it from here." Bruce, Newnes, Weller, Billings, Sinclair, Steele, Ross all had little cameos but needed to start the comeback earlier and punish them in the forth. Some stood up but not enough, some continued drifting on the periphery.

Our club cannot get better with such poor organisation and leadership. I hope they extensively review this game again in the pre-season and make this the antithesis of the way we play moving forward.

Thank god for Jake Carlisle, but in a way his heroics shielded us from the truth. We were not thrashed, because the opposition were also out of form. We simply didn't play as a professional football team. We were ameteurish clowns and I'm hoping the coaching team reviews the game in that light and if they don't, they should be replaced with coaches who demand and get more.

Masochist o_O

.... And sadist for putting us through it again!

Carlisle.
Port were also rubbish.

Yep one positive out of such an agonizing loss is that, will, it doesn't paper over the cracks of what was a rather poor performance. Win that, and it is easy to ignore what you've said, despite it being very true.

Yep one positive out of such an agonizing loss is that, will, it doesn't paper over the cracks of what was a rather poor performance. Win that, and it is easy to ignore what you've said, despite it being very true.
I think people watched the game through rose-coloured glasses. We were ordinary in many areas including the poor defensive midfield work, which in the end saw Gray run free to gather the ball while Ross just ran half-paced to match up. I would take the win, but know full well that we would have posed no threat in finals if we got there.

I think people watched the game through rose-coloured glasses. We were ordinary in many areas including the poor defensive midfield work, which in the end saw Gray run free to gather the ball while Ross just ran half-paced to match up. I would take the win, but know full well that we would have posed no threat in finals if we got there.

I wouldnt care if we went out of the finals first up this season, as long as we got there in the first place. Great experience for the kids, hopefully making them hungry for more.

Having said that, slim chance though it is, if we get there by winning the last four, then something would have clicked and just imagine the confidence, anything could happen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Review vs Port

Remove this Banner Ad

Back