Revival of the "What Music You Listening To?" Thread....

Remove this Banner Ad

I was listening to Triple J today and a Kanye West song popped on that had mixed King Crimson. It was obscene listening to Kanye butcher such a fantastic song. On the plus side this is a killer tune - 21st Century Schizoid Man:

Genius is often a word that is used too often when talking about musicians. Not with Keith Jarrett. The scene is Cologne, Germany, in January, 1975. On stage is a Steinway Grand piano. Keith Jarrett walks on with absolutely no prepared music or program to play. That was the only plan in this concert. The music is to made up on the spot. Improvised in the true meaning of the word. What followed was this amazing concert. Probably not Jarrett's finest improvised concert but certainly his most popular. It has 4 parts titled 1a, 2a, 2b, and an encore. Part 2b is simply incredible.

I was listening to Triple J today and a Kanye West song popped on that had mixed King Crimson. It was obscene listening to Kanye butcher such a fantastic song. On the plus side this is a killer tune - 21st Century Schizoid Man:

Sacriledge Quicky!!!!

ITCOTCK is probably my all time fave rock album. I can still remember when it came out. Which in those days was about 6 months after the UK release. PLayed it endlessly for months. Still listen to it today. A timeless classic or as Pete Townsend of the Who declared ''an uncanny masterpiece"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Awesome doco on the Sunnyboys on ABC1 last night, specifically on the lead singers battle with schizophrenia....
Great band in their day, one of Aussies greatest live bands...ever.

Great comeback at the end.:thumbsu:

I haven't posted in here for a while, so here's a bunch of random stuff that I've been enjoying lately.

Quirky indie rock with story-telling, stream-of-conciousness lyrics from Melbourne singer-songwriter Courtney Barnett:

Thumbs up for the Pulp Fiction reference, and managing to fit the words "anaphylactic", "super hypocondriactic" and "emphysem-in'" all into the same song.:p

Some more lo-fi chilled out music from Mac DeMarco's live guitarist, who records under the name Homeshake:

Speaking of Mac DeMarco related music, Mac used to have a band called Makeout Videotape before he went solo. His bass player was a guy called Alex Calder. Alex has released his own solo material, and it's in a similar vein to Mac DeMarco's music, with a hint of Unknown Mortal Orchestra to go along with it:

Earthless released a classic psychedelic, jam rock album in 2007 entitled 'Rhythms from a Cosmic Sky'. They finally released a follow-up last month, and this trippy, moody, hypnotic, cosmic jam is one of the highlights:

Really kickarse, fuzzy, heavy psychedelic music from a Sydney band called Zeahorse. Strong similarities to Dead Meadow, but more experimental. Killer riff and I love the vocals:

Continuing on from my last post, because of the video per post limit...

Weird, experimental, trip hoppy, kind of pop from FKA Twigs. Cool ambient production and great melodies:

Her whole EP (simply titled 'EP2'), is very similar to that track and definitely worth checking out.

Gnarly slice of catchy surf pop from a Sydney band called Bloods:

The new King Gizzard album 'Float Along - Fill Your Lungs', is extremely good. They're a Melbourne band that I've posted about a fair bit. They play fuzzy, surfy, psychedelic rock music. This song is just glorious, and puts you in a positive mood:
http://kinggizzardandthelizardwizard.com/track/float-along-fill-your-lungs

This is another highlight from that same album. It's 16 minutes long and not a second is wasted:

Some French psychedelia from the Melody's Echo Chamber live guitarist, and mixed by the genius Kevin Parker of Tame Impala:

I'm a big fan of Miles Davis; he is just the king of jazz. I prefer his crazy jazz fusion on the album 'Bitches Brew' and the quiet relaxation of his album 'In a Silent Way', but I also love his traditional jazz. 'Kind of Blue' is regarded by many as the greatest jazz album of all-time. I really love this track off that album:

And another classic track from that album, and an all-time jazz classic, 'So What'. The subtle drumming on here is ridiculously good. Ride cymbals for the win! Dat drum fill from 1:30-1:34 - bliss!

Also, it's awesome that we can now embed Soundcloud tracks on this site!:thumbsu:

I only just discovered this song. Killer tune. I love the pace to the song. Mariska Veres - the lead vocalist in this track has a very similar sound to Grace Slick from Jefferson Airplane.

I thought I recognised her straight away but this is the only song I remember mainly as Bannaramma did that cover version.

I love the fact that they're Dutch & you can actually here her say "Jour" instead of "Your".:p

This whole week had a Jack Johnson feel to it. You know it's been a good week when that's true. This song is an absolute winner. There are so many love songs out there. They are all about when you first met or when you break up. This is just about the relationship and is really refreshing. Take time to listen to the lyrics if you want to appreciate it properly.

Do you remember:

I like a mixture of everything, Rap, Techno, Trance, Rock, Hip Hop etc. Bon Jovi, Queen, Tiesto, Chris Brown, Ed Sheeran. It's all good.

What are your favourite songs? Or just ones you are digging right now?

Look em up on youtube, copy the URL and paste them straight into a post to share them here.

I'm always keen to hear new music or peoples take on different tunes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Revival of the "What Music You Listening To?" Thread....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back