Rhodes comment on Lukes brother ...... Sam I think it is.

Remove this Banner Ad

STARSHIPTROOPER

Team Captain
Suspended
Jan 25, 2004
In anticipation
Other Teams
BULLDOGS
I was coming home from work on thursday listening to Sen and Dermie was going on about Rhodes comments in the HUN that SAM is not a confident chap and needs to be handled carefully or words to that effect.

I was amazed that we would recruit someone with no confidence, Mr Clayton, I thought.
Just what we need another shrinking Violet, explains a few things though.

Not being an avid reader of the small paper can someone shed some light as to Rhodes comment and the real inference made.

TA.

No need to blow the remark out of all proportion, starshiptrooper. That's what the media are for. :rolleyes:

From "Sam is not a confident chap", you have made the quantum leap to assuming we went out to draft a shrinking violet!!

From my point of view I think Sam is probably the type who might dwell on mistakes. He also seems a bit shyer than some of the others too. Plus he has an older, more successful brother.

Sam has huge talent and it will develop over the next couple of years.

Gosh, wouldn't it be strange if the coaching staff actually knew the players better than we do and treated them accordingly.

Originally posted by Curly5
No need to blow the remark out of all proportion, starshiptrooper. That's what the media are for. :rolleyes:

From "Sam is not a confident chap", you have made the quantum leap to assuming we went out to draft a shrinking violet!!

From my point of view I think Sam is probably the type who might dwell on mistakes. He also seems a bit shyer than some of the others too. Plus he has an older, more successful brother.

Gosh, wouldn't it be strange if the coaching staff actually knew the players better than we do and treated them accordingly.

Show soe confidence in the kid and maybe he'll earn some in his own eyes. Chip-Chopping at the selection table and limited gametime does no one any good.

• Banned
Originally posted by Curly5

Curls, I get the feeling you are a caring , sharing lady. I hope I got the gender right.
By Rhode bring up his lack of confidence the opposition players will target him big time.
Not a smart move for coaching staff who know the player better than we mere mortals.

Without being patronising the targeting of a weakness by others would only be known if you had pulled on a boot. It can be quite demoralising. So if you aint tough to start with you may have a problem coping. Dermie did go down this line and I have to agree,

Yes its obviously Clayton's fault that Power has no confidence at the moment. Nothing to do with chopping and changing of his position in the side, bench or reserves. Its a 2 way street.

Who says he wasn't confidence when drafted? Yes Clayton you obviously saw he was a loser at the time so why did you pick him?

• Banned
Originally posted by Ching
Yes its obviously Clayton's fault that Power has no confidence at the moment. Nothing to do with chopping and changing of his position in the side, bench or reserves. Its a 2 way street.

Who says he wasn't confidence when drafted? Yes Clayton you obviously saw he was a loser at the time so why did you pick him?

Sam POWER: @ No. 10 2001 draft
One sided, pannicks under pressure,weak over head, misses targets,loose in defense,does not tackle and is not a confident person.

We misssed:

Nick Del santo @ 13
James Kelly @ 17
Matt Mc guire @ 21 ( at a time when we needed tall big bodied players.
Steven Johnson @24
Steven Armstrong @25
Sam Mitchell @ 36
Mark Mc Gough @ 43

All are better than Power. Scott Clayton take a bow.

He is the best in the business you know. :(

Originally posted by STARSHIPTROOPER
LUKE POWER: @ No. 10 2001 draft
One sided, pannicks under pressure,weak over head, misses targets,loose in defense,does not tackle and is not a confident person.

We misssed:

Nick Del santo @ 13
James Kelly @ 17
Matt Mc guire @ 21 ( at a time when we needed tall big bodied players.
Steven Johnson @24
Steven Armstrong @25
Sam Mitchell @ 36
Mark Mc Gough @ 43

All are better than Power. Scott Clayton take a bow.

He is the best in the business you know. :(

Well, for starters, Luke Power was taken at pick 5 in the 1997 draft.

Second, while a number of those players (and certainly not all) have done more to date than Sam, it doesn't mean he won't be better. He is still light bodied and is played heavily off the bench. Mitchell is a gun exctractor, but is showing that he has a limited upside this season. McGough's disposal by foot is dreadful and he is slow. Armstrong is also in and out of his side. Steve Johnson is exciting and kicks goals, but hasn't shown much more than that and (I know he's been injured) hasn't played this year.

Dal Santo, Kelly, and Maguire I'll give you, but then again, Coughlan fell through to the mid-20s and was taken by Richmond, who have the worst recruiting department in the league. Go figure eh? It's hardly an exact science.

It will be at least another two years before we can tell just how good Sam will be, so don't condemn him yet. Oh...and look at pick 71 from that draft. I wouldn't complain too much.

• Banned
Originally posted by Anja_Nees
Well, for starters, Luke Power was taken at pick 5 in the 1997 draft.

Oh...and look at pick 71 from that draft. I wouldn't complain too much.

Freudian Slip.

No complaints if we had Luke, but we dont and we have missed out on better players again.

People pump up Harris but while he shows promise he has a long way to go. You didnt mention Colbert @ 57 conveniently

We missed opportunities and SAm looks soft to me.

I didn't mention McGuiness either, but despite the fact he isn't playing most of us rate him pretty highly, as do the coaching staff.

Besides, from what I've heard, Colbert's talent wasn't the issue.

Yes they are all better than Power when drafted, now and forever.
Your pretty good with hindsight and what's tonights Tattslotto numbers?

Yes they are all better than Power when drafted, now and forever.
Your pretty good with hindsight and what's tonights Tattslotto numbers?

My contention is that he gets more wrong than he does right. And he is supposed to be the best in the business.

Drafting is a highly analytical process not a game of chance. Given that Clayton is supposed to be the best in the business he must have put his considerable talent to Drafting so why does he not chose better.
As for Colbert, thats my point if they aint got it up stairs why the hell draft them.

My contention is that he gets more wrong than he does right.
You seem to get more right.
West should change his game, Grant not a good captain and now Clayton is useless.
I'm sure PROG will back you up. Strangely he has gone missing.

Who saids that Clayton is picking badly, every club stuffs up in drafting (you win some you lose some). Over the years Clayton has won more than his has lost . If you are talking about drafting not development.

Sammy is one of the most skilled young players we have & from what I can see, his confidence has probably sufferred from not getting enough consistent game time.

Against Coburg tigers he stood out & was pretty gutsy.

As Curls said, Sammy might be shy & suffering from being in the shadow on Luke. But check out the younger Voss now who was for years in the shadows of the elder.

He will be a dead set champion & his knockers will have to eat their words.

Cheers - Pete

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You seem to get more right.
West should change his game, Grant not a good captain and now Clayton is useless.
I'm sure PROG will back you up. Strangely he has gone missing.

Who saids that Clayton is picking badly, every club stuffs up in drafting (you win some you lose some). Over the years Clayton has won more than his has lost . If you are talking about drafting not development.

West - I proposed he should loook at adopting a run with aspect to his game when it suited the team, as he gets older. This hopefull prolongs his life span.
Grant - Have never critiised him only his media persona or lack off.
Clayton - The jury is still out but it doesnt look promising.

I couldnt give a rats about other clubs stuffing up. There mistakes dont make case for our

If you paid attention once or twice I have posted from Progs computer and signed
off under Trooper . Known him for 15years I coverted him from Geelong. Anyhow his missus gave birth twin girls 9 weeks prem. They are tiny and still not out of trouble. You can catch him in the Francis Perry/royal womens prem care unit.

Hopefully you dills will give that crap a rest.

Whats wrong with drafting someone whos a bit shy and not overly confident?

You probably get far less issues arising from that persons character than you would from people at the other end of the scale. Cocky, ego driven types in the end can turn out less successful people, or more of a headache for a club.

I don't think the coach should have said what he did, and it may go against Sam Power on the field, but hopefully he can develop into what he showed as a junior. I'm sure he won a Larke Medal for best U18 championships player in 2001.

So what.

Grab the bloke from Melbourne he has a better eye for talent.

My point is that the mad rush for Clayton's signature that would occur if he were to leave us is proof that we are lucky to have him.

Grab the bloke from Melbourne he has a better eye for talent.
As Borgsta pointed out, Travis Johnstone at Pick 1. In the same draft as Ottens, Tarrant, Nick Stevens, Luke Power and Simon Black (both recruited by Clayton).

In Sam Power's draft: Luke Molan at Pick 9, Aaron Rogers at 26. Both delisted within 2 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rhodes comment on Lukes brother ...... Sam I think it is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back