Rumour Rhyce Shaw in Hospital, won’t coach again: NO Trolling, cheap shots, or jokes will be Tolerated

Remove this Banner Ad

Final Warning: No trolling please.

Info for journalists but it is a good read for people publishing posts on this platform:
Communicating about a person with mental ill-health
Communicating about an individual experiencing mental ill-health sensitively and accurately can change public misconceptions, challenge myths and encourage community discussion about the issue.
Safe and accurate discussion about a person with mental ill-health plays a huge role in demystifying negative stereotypes while alleviating harm for those vulnerable.
Consider whether referencing mental ill-health is relevant
  • has it been confirmed by official sources that the person has been diagnosed with a mental illness? Are your sources reliable? Information you have received from a witness, neighbour or first responder to an incident may be inaccurate. Speculation about someone's mental health status contributes to stigma and discrimination.
  • media guidelines and codes of ethics emphasise the right to privacy. Consider whether there may be consequences for the person's health and wellbeing if you disclose their mental illness.
Check that the representation of mental illness is fair and balanced
  • ensure that your story does not exaggerate a person's illness or the effect mental ill-health has on their behaviour or life
  • mentioning the person's mental illness in the headline or lead can sensationalise the illness and reinforce stigma
  • using photos or images that unnecessarily show people with mental ill-health looking dishevelled or otherwise 'different' can perpetuate stereotypes
  • seek expert comment or advice about the specific illness being represented
Consider how to present information from police and courts
Australian research has shown that the most problematic type of news coverage about mental ill-health results from information collected at court or from a police incident.
  • many stories focus on violence and relate to specific and relatively rare circumstances. However, audiences are likely to make generalisations about people with mental ill-health as a result of the coverage
  • check the relevance of mental ill-health to the story. Report only where an illness has been confirmed by official sources.
  • take care not to imply that a specific mental illness was a factor in a story unless confirmed. Assuming that certain behaviours are associated with mental ill-health is often inaccurate and can perpetuate stigma
  • the way a police or court incident is reported may contribute to the perceived link between mental ill-health and violence. Research indicates that most people with a diagnosed mental illness have no history of violent behaviour and are more likely to be victims of violence
  • media can help community understand by providing context surrounding an incident involving a person with mental ill-health. For example, where violence occurs it is often in the context of drug use, distressing hallucinations, a lack of treatment, or treatment that may not have been effective.
Interviewing people living with mental ill-health
Sharing stories of people that have experienced mental illness can increase awareness, reduce stigma and promote hope. When interviewing a person with lived experience of mental ill-health, do so sensitivity and with discretion. While many people are happy to speak to the media, it can be difficult to talk publicly about a deeply personal issue.
Where possible, source someone who is supported to speak to the media. Many mental health organisations can now facilitate access to people living with mental ill-health, or their carers.
Be cautious about engaging with potential sources through social media as it can be difficult to tell someone's age or whether they are able to provide informed consent to participate in an interview.
Ensure there are no legal restrictions on interviewing or reporting about someone living with mental ill-health
Reporting on a celebrity's mental illness
If positively framed, stories about celebrities or public figures living with mental ill-health can be a powerful tool in breaking down stigma associated with particular illnesses and can encourage others to seek help.
Celebrity stories can also trivialise the seriousness of mental ill-health by presenting it as entertainment or gossip.
Before reporting, consider the reliability of your source and the language and images you use.

Last edited by a moderator:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apprently roos almost certain to coach next year and AFL will push north to relocating to tassie. Also AFL apparently wants to merge saints and doggies

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
It’s usually around the 2nd week that these type of threads disintegrate into the pieces of shit that they ultimately were intended to become.

I never understood why burner accounts waste their posts on relocation and merger trolls. For a website 20 years old do they honestly think that this content is fresh?

Classic Caro. The entire AFL media respects mental health enough to not speculate on the issue but just like with James Hird she can’t help herself.

If anyone in the AFL needs to be cancelled, it’s her.
Anyone who watches Footy Classified, deserves what they get with her. Shocking show, just dont watch.

Hadn’t read through the whole thread so was unaware. The guy who sent it to me is supposedly realiable though, only time will tell if it is actually true though.

So everyone keeps saying when they parrot the same text message. "My source on this is reliable!"

images - 2020-10-13T082835.650.jpeg

Apprently roos almost certain to coach next year and AFL will push north to relocating to tassie. Also AFL apparently wants to merge saints and doggies

Wow, I also heard Trump is now the US president, crazy times...

Notice the wicked witch of the wethd ''thlip of the tongue'' last night on that God forsaken junk channel 9 labels ''Classified''?

''Assistant for Rhyce Shaw......or whoever is coaching them''.....she knows what the drum is, knows the protocol surrounding reporting on mental illness and chose to drop a hint.

She should be ''dithmithed'' by here employers at once.

What did Brad Hardie say ?

Im telling you i swear he just gets all his stories from this board.

Last week he ran with the Gary Rohan thing like he un covered a story.

Said I can’t go into details but the coach won’t be there. Used Caros segment last night as his leeway to go public.

Im telling you i swear he just gets all his stories from this board.

Last week he ran with the Gary Rohan thing like he un covered a story.
The same Brad Hardie who reported Goldstein was in Perth doing a medical with West Coast when he was seen picking his kids up from school at the same time? That Brad Hardie?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Notice the wicked witch of the wethd ''thlip of the tongue'' last night on that God forsaken junk channel 9 labels ''Classified''?

''Assistant for Rhyce Shaw......or whoever is coaching them''.....she knows what the drum is, knows the protocol surrounding reporting on mental illness and chose to drop a hint.

She should be ''dithmithed'' by here employers at once.
And today children, we'll be looking through the arched window...kindergarten posting right there. Grow up.

Said I can’t go into details but the coach won’t be there. Used Caros segment last night as his leeway to go public.

The same Brad Hardie who reported Goldstein was in Perth doing a medical with West Coast when he was seen picking his kids up from school at the same time? That Brad Hardie?
Yep
That's the one.

The one who also said that West Coast would not be allowed a home final.

He's an oxygen thief.

So ironic that the people keeping this thread going are the same ones whinging that this thing should remain private.

Never change, north fans!
Explain to me how bottomfeeder journos sourcing their shit from this website and clearly it’s gone public last night and now this morning, how it’s got anything to do with North fans you muppet.

I only started using this term in recent years, parsimony is the opposite of prosperity. Now is the time of cutbacks and cost cutting. If anything, the virus has levelled the playing field for us. Where if all the clubs are to fire all cylinders, we wont have a chance to compete because of the historical advantages and the more professional setup over the decades. But now, much less money is going to be around hence off field management focus hence gone from maximize profit to minimize cost. Our cost cutting side ability should be up there as we honed it through the cash strapped years of early 2000s and debt reducing days of 2010s. The next 5 years will be about how to live poor and not how to become rich. Big clubs, big cost. It's much harder for a big guy to survive on less food than the little dude.

As to afl paying for the coach, that's a rumour. My colleague at work was a runner for north from early 2000s until early 2010s, so he still got mates there and at other clubs. It was rumoured that AFL has stepped in to pay for Roos to be caretaker coach for 2 years, 2 mil per season. He will do his job just like at melbourne. We managed to get blakey and if the roos' rumour turns out to be correct, well well, the old firm reunited again. Maybe we should get longmire over and when roos' time is up, him as the director of coaching, longmire head coach, blakey assistant.

Clarkson's time at hawthorn is also looking like it's up as the team is completely messed up and he is at odds with the leadership. I wouldn't be surprised if he is given the push sometimes in the near future. We north need a coach and after the purge of 2020, the team is actually set up nicely. The timing is perfect. Before you know it, 2 flags in the bag and a total of 6 for clarkson in 2 decades to become the greatest of all time. Also there is the north narrative of a former north player coming back to take north to success and also a top coach taking a minow to premiership success/es. Hollywood couldn't script better. Him, blakey (both north player) in the box, archer at the board level, carey and king in the media........

As Darth Sidious used to say, 'everything is proceeding as he has foreseen'.
I still recall fondly the day I called my dad a "parsimonious campaigner" because he wouldn't give me $1 to buy lollies at the corner shop. He was so shocked I knew both words I had time to make my getaway on my bike.

So Caro is getting her info from bigfooty now?

(Or alternatively she received the same message / email which has apparently been doing the rounds)

Or does it turn out that this rumour has legs after all?

If I am reading between the lines correctly, it is the latter.

Damn.

I get that it's a sensitive topic but there comes a time when it needs to be reported still so no point trying to knife the first one who goes with it. What if Shaw never wanted to go public with it? Would no journos ever be allowed to mention it and we just carry on like nothing has happened when some other bloke is coaching North next year?

Not saying we need to know every detail of what's going on but if I was a North member I would like to know what direction the club is going in before too long

I get that it's a sensitive topic but there comes a time when it needs to be reported still so no point trying to knife the first one who goes with it. What if Shaw never wanted to go public with it? Would no journos ever be allowed to mention it and we just carry on like nothing has happened when some other bloke is coaching North next year?

Not saying we need to know every detail of what's going on but if I was a North member I would like to know what direction the club is going in before too long

Yeah but there wouldn't be a situation where a new coach just suddenly rocks up. It would just be a statement from the club and Rhyce saying he has stepped down, in the best interests of his family etc, and we move on.

If it's down to mental health issues that's 100% up to him whether he wishes to disclose it and have it discussed publicly.

It sounds like everything is pointing to an announcement at the B&F, whether Shaw is going to step down and the announcements are made to the supporter base etc I'm not sure, but that seems to be what it's culminating to.

1602561474234.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Rhyce Shaw in Hospital, won’t coach again: NO Trolling, cheap shots, or jokes will be Tolerated

Remove this Banner Ad

Back