Rumour Rhyce Shaw in Hospital, won’t coach again: NO Trolling, cheap shots, or jokes will be Tolerated

Remove this Banner Ad

Final Warning: No trolling please.

Info for journalists but it is a good read for people publishing posts on this platform:
Communicating about a person with mental ill-health
Communicating about an individual experiencing mental ill-health sensitively and accurately can change public misconceptions, challenge myths and encourage community discussion about the issue.
Safe and accurate discussion about a person with mental ill-health plays a huge role in demystifying negative stereotypes while alleviating harm for those vulnerable.
Consider whether referencing mental ill-health is relevant
  • has it been confirmed by official sources that the person has been diagnosed with a mental illness? Are your sources reliable? Information you have received from a witness, neighbour or first responder to an incident may be inaccurate. Speculation about someone's mental health status contributes to stigma and discrimination.
  • media guidelines and codes of ethics emphasise the right to privacy. Consider whether there may be consequences for the person's health and wellbeing if you disclose their mental illness.
Check that the representation of mental illness is fair and balanced
  • ensure that your story does not exaggerate a person's illness or the effect mental ill-health has on their behaviour or life
  • mentioning the person's mental illness in the headline or lead can sensationalise the illness and reinforce stigma
  • using photos or images that unnecessarily show people with mental ill-health looking dishevelled or otherwise 'different' can perpetuate stereotypes
  • seek expert comment or advice about the specific illness being represented
Consider how to present information from police and courts
Australian research has shown that the most problematic type of news coverage about mental ill-health results from information collected at court or from a police incident.
  • many stories focus on violence and relate to specific and relatively rare circumstances. However, audiences are likely to make generalisations about people with mental ill-health as a result of the coverage
  • check the relevance of mental ill-health to the story. Report only where an illness has been confirmed by official sources.
  • take care not to imply that a specific mental illness was a factor in a story unless confirmed. Assuming that certain behaviours are associated with mental ill-health is often inaccurate and can perpetuate stigma
  • the way a police or court incident is reported may contribute to the perceived link between mental ill-health and violence. Research indicates that most people with a diagnosed mental illness have no history of violent behaviour and are more likely to be victims of violence
  • media can help community understand by providing context surrounding an incident involving a person with mental ill-health. For example, where violence occurs it is often in the context of drug use, distressing hallucinations, a lack of treatment, or treatment that may not have been effective.
Interviewing people living with mental ill-health
Sharing stories of people that have experienced mental illness can increase awareness, reduce stigma and promote hope. When interviewing a person with lived experience of mental ill-health, do so sensitivity and with discretion. While many people are happy to speak to the media, it can be difficult to talk publicly about a deeply personal issue.
Where possible, source someone who is supported to speak to the media. Many mental health organisations can now facilitate access to people living with mental ill-health, or their carers.
Be cautious about engaging with potential sources through social media as it can be difficult to tell someone's age or whether they are able to provide informed consent to participate in an interview.
Ensure there are no legal restrictions on interviewing or reporting about someone living with mental ill-health
Reporting on a celebrity's mental illness
If positively framed, stories about celebrities or public figures living with mental ill-health can be a powerful tool in breaking down stigma associated with particular illnesses and can encourage others to seek help.
Celebrity stories can also trivialise the seriousness of mental ill-health by presenting it as entertainment or gossip.
Before reporting, consider the reliability of your source and the language and images you use.

Last edited by a moderator:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brad hardie said this morning on 6PR in WA. That due to personal issue that he won’t share on air that Rhyce Shaw won’t coach north next season! That Paul Roos is more likely than not going to be the senior coach of the kangaroos in 2021!

They tried that in 2019 and Simmo didn't take their call.

Given he spent his entire playing career at a club that was constantly on the verge of being relocated or relegated out of existence I think Simmo enjoys being a at club that has financial stability, good governance, and sustained success.

Not to mention his kids are in high school and he won't uproot them to move back to Melbourne, or Tassie, wherever North are based by 2022.

Blah blah blah.

I was told this earlier in the week by a former industry employee with a contact who is directly connected to the north playing group. Very very unhappy camp at North at the minute.

Don Pyke was mentioned as a potential replacement. Has some connection with Brayshaw apparently.

I think Don's expertise is more moving player sentiment in the opposite direction.

Simmo is a great coach, and I understand why it kills you that he is with us and not back at North.

I'd be completely supportive of Simmo taking on a role to help get North out of the doldrums. But I am not sure he would put himself through that.

Simmo has had a taste of the good life since he walked out the door at North, doubt he would ever go back to a club struggling to make ends meet and whose existence is in constant jeopardy.

He lived that his entire playing career.

I think it's probably similar to Roos and old Fitzroy.

I respect the strong ties he has with North. Once a clubman, always a clubman and that is what makes Simmo who he is.

But at the same time, Simmo is analytical and pragmatic more than he is emotional.

A move to North given the absolute dire situation they are in doesn't make sense for him, his family or his career.

It would just be a emotion laden decision like what Brady did, and look how that has worked out so far.

Yes,

It's completely similar to the situation of Paul Roo's and Fitzroy.

The same Paul Roo's that began senior coaching in 2002, a full 6 years after the merger of Brisbane and Fitzroy.

Roo's was still playing at Sydney until 1998, how did he ever have the chance to coach Fitzroy?

You need to stop eating spoon full's of Caro's gossip.

Rawlings hasn't even had a trade period in charge yet. I understand how much it kills you to have lost the key architect of your premiership though. Am I doing it right?

Last edited:
Simmo is a great coach, and I understand why it kills you that he is with us and not back at North.

I'd be completely supportive of Simmo taking on a role to help get North out of the doldrums. But I am not sure he would put himself through that.

Simmo has had a taste of the good life since he walked out the door at North, doubt he would ever go back to a club struggling to make ends meet and whose existence is in constant jeopardy.

I respect the strong ties he has with North. Once a clubman, always a clubman and that is what makes Simmo who he is.

But at the same time, Simmo is analytical and pragmatic more than he is emotional.

A move to North given the absolute dire situation they are in doesn't make sense for him, his family or his career.

It would just be a emotion laden decision like what Brady did, and look how that has worked out so far.
I rarely engage on here with other posters, but mate why did it take you however many cheap shots and digging at our club and finances and whether we will be around, like the worst bloke possible, to actually post something like the above.
Yes this is the rumours board, but it ain’t the bay mate. Take a long hard look at yourself. Embarrassing form I reckon. What do you get out of that?? Ivory towers and all that. Fk me.
Anyway, whatever.

I rarely engage on here with other posters, but mate why did it take you however many cheap shots and digging at our club and finances and whether we will be around, like the worst bloke possible, to actually post something like the above.
Yes this is the rumours board, but it ain’t the bay mate. Take a long hard look at yourself. Embarrassing form I reckon. What do you get out of that?? Ivory towers and all that. Fk me.
Anyway, whatever.

BF is a strange alternative reality.

If you hang shit on someone for being skint in real life you come across as a complete w***er.

It's hilarious that football fans somehow think their clubs having a few dollars translates to their own lives and lesser financially powerful clubs translates to their own supporters.

The bloke is probably posting from a 2 bedroom shack in Midvale.

BF is a strange alternative reality.

If you hang sh*t on someone for being skint in real life you come across as a complete w***er.

It's hilarious that football fans somehow think their clubs having a few dollars translates to their own lives and lesser financially powerful clubs translates to their own supporters.

The bloke is probably posting from a 2 bedroom shack in Midvale.

I wasn't having a crack just for the sake of it. I was directly answering the the post I was quoting.

Of course Simmo has a deep connection with North Melbourne. And that is completely fine and expected. It would be weird if he didn't

Given the situation North Melbourne are in, is it likely Simmo will leave West Coast and take up a gig there anytime soon? I would say, probably not. In fact I would say it's highly unlikely.

North Melbourne supporters hanging their hats on Simmo returning to the club to save it are incredibly naive romanticists.

Simmo won't coach West Coast forever.

But the likelihood he ever goes back to North are next to zero.

Just accept it, instead of lashing out at others who burst your bubble. You're living in a fantasy land.

Sorry.

I wasn't having a crack just for the sake of it. I was directly answering the the post I was quoting.

Of course Simmo has a deep connection with North Melbourne. And that is completely fine and expected. It would be weird if he didn't

Given the situation North Melbourne are in, is it likely Simmo will leave West Coast and take up a gig there anytime soon? I would say, probably not. In fact I would say it's highly unlikely.

North Melbourne supporters hanging their hats on Simmo returning to the club to save it are incredibly naive romanticists.

Simmo won't coach West Coast forever.

But the likelihood he ever goes back to North are next to zero.

Just accept it, instead of lashing out at others who burst your bubble. You're living in a fantasy land.

Sorry.

Your first post was you being a dick about it. If you're going to be a dick, at least own it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From....
They tried that in 2019 and Simmo didn't take their call.

to....

“I spoke briefly to a few people at North Melbourne a while ago and it was just one phone call,” he said.
....in just eight minutes. Must be some kind of record.

Also, it's clear the no trolling or cheap shots request is working well....

Your first post was you being a dick about it. If you're going to be a dick, at least own it.

This is being a dick?

Reality is some clubs are more destination clubs than others.

Pointing that out, isn't being a dick.

He has spoken about North's approach to him during 2019. It really is just common sense though isn't it? North are a rabble. AWOL Chairman and CEO. A footy boss promoted before his time. Jobs for the boys and old club faithful. Dwindling membership, financial difficulty and uncertain future. Not to mention the long and painful rebuild that they have just started (one year too late).

Who'd want to go there?

“I spoke briefly to a few people at North Melbourne a while ago and it was just one phone call,” he said.

“It was a conversation that was pretty brief and indicated that I was really happy where I am.

From....

to....

....in just eight minutes. Must be some kind of record.

Also, it's clear the no trolling or cheap shots request is working well....

Read between the lines mate.

He wasn't interested.

No malice involved at all, but there is a certain discourse perpetuated by North Melbourne fans that is a) desperate and b) completely detached from reality.

And probably won't be until North get their act together.

Good luck with Paul Roos though, that would be a step in the right direction.

Read between the lines mate.

He wasn't interested.

No malice involved at all, but there is a certain discourse perpetuated by North Melbourne fans that is a) desperate and b) completely detached from reality.

And probably won't be until North get their act together.

Good luck with Paul Roos though, that would be a step in the right direction.
Every club has had a shit time of it at one point or another, even yours. We'll get through it.

At this point, we have a coach who is apparently in a bad way and for people like you to use that as an excuse to take pot shots says more about you than it does about North Melbourne.

It's footy's worst kept secret.

Don't mean to start a war, but I honestly think North should put out a press release.

Just something basic like "Our coach currently has some health issues and we would appreciate some privacy during this time.
At this stage we will be making no further comment".

That just stops it dead.

Expecting the media to hold for for another 2 weeks achieves no purpose at all IMO.

Expecting the media to hold for for another 2 weeks achieves no purpose at all IMO.

Other than allowing Shaw himself more time to continue working on things, make decisions, and firm himself up for talking publicly about it on his own terms (ie NOT as a response to distorted truths and speculation played out in the media) in a friendly environment?

Other than allowing Shaw himself more time to continue working on things, make decisions, and firm himself up for talking publicly about it on his own terms (ie NOT as a response to distorted truths and speculation played out in the media) in a friendly environment?
Shaw doesn't have to say or do anything until he's ready.
Regardless of any press release.

It's footy's worst kept secret.

Don't mean to start a war, but I honestly think North should put out a press release.

Just something basic like "Our coach currently has some health issues and we would appreciate some privacy during this time.
At this stage we will be making no further comment".

That just stops it dead.

I fairness, no one really knows the story, including you and me......think there’s probably more to it than the text that’s been sent out suggests.
We also have vultures in Melbourne desperately waiting to sink the boots in, let alone spew forth , “I told you so” articles. A lot to possibly play out here. Hope not, but things look a pretty grim. We have to handle next steps well maybe.

is it really necessary to stick the boot in like this given the subject matter on this thread? FFS I know it’s hard for west coast supporters but have some class.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Rhyce Shaw in Hospital, won’t coach again: NO Trolling, cheap shots, or jokes will be Tolerated

Remove this Banner Ad

Back