Rumour Rhyce Shaw in Hospital, won’t coach again: NO Trolling, cheap shots, or jokes will be Tolerated

Remove this Banner Ad

Final Warning: No trolling please.

Info for journalists but it is a good read for people publishing posts on this platform:
Communicating about a person with mental ill-health
Communicating about an individual experiencing mental ill-health sensitively and accurately can change public misconceptions, challenge myths and encourage community discussion about the issue.
Safe and accurate discussion about a person with mental ill-health plays a huge role in demystifying negative stereotypes while alleviating harm for those vulnerable.
Consider whether referencing mental ill-health is relevant
  • has it been confirmed by official sources that the person has been diagnosed with a mental illness? Are your sources reliable? Information you have received from a witness, neighbour or first responder to an incident may be inaccurate. Speculation about someone's mental health status contributes to stigma and discrimination.
  • media guidelines and codes of ethics emphasise the right to privacy. Consider whether there may be consequences for the person's health and wellbeing if you disclose their mental illness.
Check that the representation of mental illness is fair and balanced
  • ensure that your story does not exaggerate a person's illness or the effect mental ill-health has on their behaviour or life
  • mentioning the person's mental illness in the headline or lead can sensationalise the illness and reinforce stigma
  • using photos or images that unnecessarily show people with mental ill-health looking dishevelled or otherwise 'different' can perpetuate stereotypes
  • seek expert comment or advice about the specific illness being represented
Consider how to present information from police and courts
Australian research has shown that the most problematic type of news coverage about mental ill-health results from information collected at court or from a police incident.
  • many stories focus on violence and relate to specific and relatively rare circumstances. However, audiences are likely to make generalisations about people with mental ill-health as a result of the coverage
  • check the relevance of mental ill-health to the story. Report only where an illness has been confirmed by official sources.
  • take care not to imply that a specific mental illness was a factor in a story unless confirmed. Assuming that certain behaviours are associated with mental ill-health is often inaccurate and can perpetuate stigma
  • the way a police or court incident is reported may contribute to the perceived link between mental ill-health and violence. Research indicates that most people with a diagnosed mental illness have no history of violent behaviour and are more likely to be victims of violence
  • media can help community understand by providing context surrounding an incident involving a person with mental ill-health. For example, where violence occurs it is often in the context of drug use, distressing hallucinations, a lack of treatment, or treatment that may not have been effective.
Interviewing people living with mental ill-health
Sharing stories of people that have experienced mental illness can increase awareness, reduce stigma and promote hope. When interviewing a person with lived experience of mental ill-health, do so sensitivity and with discretion. While many people are happy to speak to the media, it can be difficult to talk publicly about a deeply personal issue.
Where possible, source someone who is supported to speak to the media. Many mental health organisations can now facilitate access to people living with mental ill-health, or their carers.
Be cautious about engaging with potential sources through social media as it can be difficult to tell someone's age or whether they are able to provide informed consent to participate in an interview.
Ensure there are no legal restrictions on interviewing or reporting about someone living with mental ill-health
Reporting on a celebrity's mental illness
If positively framed, stories about celebrities or public figures living with mental ill-health can be a powerful tool in breaking down stigma associated with particular illnesses and can encourage others to seek help.
Celebrity stories can also trivialise the seriousness of mental ill-health by presenting it as entertainment or gossip.
Before reporting, consider the reliability of your source and the language and images you use.

Last edited by a moderator:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It sounds like everything is pointing to an announcement at the B&F, whether Shaw is going to step down and the announcements are made to the supporter base etc I'm not sure, but that seems to be what it's culminating to.

View attachment 984267

28th is a long time from now...nothing like a coach change would ever manage to stay under wraps in the AFL for that long.

That seems even stranger tbh to save the news up that long to make a thing out of it at a big ceremony. Not my business I guess but BnF announcements for who will take over as head coach would make sense more so than an event to tell the room a bloke is struggling with his mental health

Obviously Shaw would have the say but that just seems a weird way to go about it if it was me

28th is a long time from now...nothing like a coach change would ever manage to stay under wraps in the AFL for that long.

It's not under wraps though, is it?

It's common knowledge amongst the footy industry by the looks of it.

It's obviously very serious and serious enough that gutter journo's like Tom Browne run a million miles from the topic on twitter.

Caro just can't help herself though....

If the rumours are true, it's probably Roo's taking over for a year.

That seems even stranger tbh to save the news up that long to make a thing out of it at a big ceremony. Not my business I guess but BnF announcements for who will take over as head coach would make sense more so than an event to tell the room a bloke is struggling with his mental health

Obviously Shaw would have the say but that just seems a weird way to go about it if it was me

It's not strange if a media pile on from the public might have serious health repercussions for the person involved though, does it?

I'm not for one minute saying this is the situation, but hypothetically if it was another person with serious mental health issues and already on the edge and they committed suicide following the breaking of it by the media, is it really worth it for breaking a period of 2-3 weeks of non-reporting and protecting a fragile situation?

there's been no official comment, so yeah it is under wraps.

all the public has is rumour and vague hints.

No, there has been no public comment. There is a difference.

For all you know, the media and football industry have probably been fully briefed on the situation to give understanding to it's severity.

Yep
That's the one.

The one who also said that West Coast would not be allowed a home final.

He's an oxygen thief.
To be fair apparently the state gov kept flip flopping between allowing and disallowing. Supposedly in the span of a week they had told the AFL we could host, then they said we couldn't, then they said we could again.

No, there has been no public comment. There is a difference.

For all you know, the media and football industry have probably been fully briefed on the situation to give understanding to it's severity.

if the media know...it's still under wraps to the other 99.999999999% of the population.

It's not strange if a media pile on from the public might have serious health repercussions for the person involved though, does it?

I'm not for one minute saying this is the situation, but hypothetically if it was another person with serious mental health issues and already on the edge and they committed suicide following the breaking of it by the media, is it really worth it for 2-3 weeks of non-reporting and protecting a fragile situation?

I would presume there would be an outpouring of support for him if/when it comes out. Hypotheticals like that are a bit out there

If the step down rumour is true and with Simpson out of contract at the end of next year you'd expect North will go hard for him this coming season. I doubt Roos would spend more than a year coaching when he has made it very clear multiple times he doesn't want to coach again.

I don't see West Coast giving up Simpson considering they're no better options out there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They tried that in 2019 and Simmo didn't take their call.

Given he spent his entire playing career at a club that was constantly on the verge of being relocated or relegated out of existence I think Simmo enjoys being a at club that has financial stability, good governance, and sustained success.

Not to mention his kids are in high school and he won't uproot them to move back to Melbourne, or Tassie, wherever North are based by 2022.

How would you know? Have you talked to him about it?

How would you know? Have you talked to him about it?

He has spoken about North's approach to him during 2019. It really is just common sense though isn't it? North are a rabble. AWOL Chairman and CEO. A footy boss promoted before his time. Jobs for the boys and old club faithful. Dwindling membership, financial difficulty and uncertain future. Not to mention the long and painful rebuild that they have just started (one year too late).

Who'd want to go there?

“I spoke briefly to a few people at North Melbourne a while ago and it was just one phone call,” he said.

“It was a conversation that was pretty brief and indicated that I was really happy where I am.

He has spoken about North's approach to him during 2019. It really is just common sense though isn't it? North are a rabble. AWOL Chairman and CEO. A footy boss promoted before his time. Jobs for the boys and old club faithful. Dwindling membership, financial difficulty and uncertain future. Not to mention the long and painful rebuild that they have just started (one year too late).

Who'd want to go there?

“I spoke briefly to a few people at North Melbourne a while ago and it was just one phone call,” he said.

“It was a conversation that was pretty brief and indicated that I was really happy where I am.

Well you've taken a benign statement and fleshed it out into "nah why the **** would I go there they're a rabble".

Who'd want to go there?

Probably Simpson?

You are saying this as if he is an outsider that doesn't know the joint? Simmo came to the place when they were doing weights in a facility with leaking roofs, cold showers etc.

2019 was way too soon anyway, he had unfinished business.

You might be borrowing him for now, but don't for one minute think Simpson wouldn't come back to help North at the right moment.

He's as big a North man as Archer, Stevens and anyone else. This isn't Clarkson or even Longmire we are talking about here. Simpson is one of the most revered figures at North for the last 3 decades.

I expect us to throw the kitchen sink at him at the end of 2021.

Last edited:
AWOL Chairman and CEO. A footy boss promoted before his time. Jobs for the boys and old club faithful. Dwindling membership, financial difficulty and uncertain future. Not to mention the long and painful rebuild that they have just started (one year too late).

Thanks Caro.

Simmo comes out of contract in 2022, but will North even be around then? :think:

Is the last comment because you are scared or something?

It might not even be this decade, it might not even be as the senior coach.

But Simpson will be back at North in some capacity in the future, he's a rusted on diehard and absolute loves the club.

Apprently roos almost certain to coach next year and AFL will push north to relocating to tassie. Also AFL apparently wants to merge saints and doggies

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The dogs and Saints merger is well underway, they will be relocating and the club name and mascot has been chosen.

1602564375198.png

Yep the mighty Saint Bernard's. Will be a tough opponent in the Alps.

To be fair apparently the state gov kept flip flopping between allowing and disallowing. Supposedly in the span of a week they had told the AFL we could host, then they said we couldn't, then they said we could again.
Yeah nah
The AFL had said from day 1 if WC qualified, they would get the first final at home.
I'm sure they never waivered on that.

Hardie is a germ.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Rhyce Shaw in Hospital, won’t coach again: NO Trolling, cheap shots, or jokes will be Tolerated

Remove this Banner Ad

Back