Rumour Rhyce Shaw in Hospital, won’t coach again: NO Trolling, cheap shots, or jokes will be Tolerated

Remove this Banner Ad

Final Warning: No trolling please.

Info for journalists but it is a good read for people publishing posts on this platform:
Communicating about a person with mental ill-health
Communicating about an individual experiencing mental ill-health sensitively and accurately can change public misconceptions, challenge myths and encourage community discussion about the issue.
Safe and accurate discussion about a person with mental ill-health plays a huge role in demystifying negative stereotypes while alleviating harm for those vulnerable.
Consider whether referencing mental ill-health is relevant
  • has it been confirmed by official sources that the person has been diagnosed with a mental illness? Are your sources reliable? Information you have received from a witness, neighbour or first responder to an incident may be inaccurate. Speculation about someone's mental health status contributes to stigma and discrimination.
  • media guidelines and codes of ethics emphasise the right to privacy. Consider whether there may be consequences for the person's health and wellbeing if you disclose their mental illness.
Check that the representation of mental illness is fair and balanced
  • ensure that your story does not exaggerate a person's illness or the effect mental ill-health has on their behaviour or life
  • mentioning the person's mental illness in the headline or lead can sensationalise the illness and reinforce stigma
  • using photos or images that unnecessarily show people with mental ill-health looking dishevelled or otherwise 'different' can perpetuate stereotypes
  • seek expert comment or advice about the specific illness being represented
Consider how to present information from police and courts
Australian research has shown that the most problematic type of news coverage about mental ill-health results from information collected at court or from a police incident.
  • many stories focus on violence and relate to specific and relatively rare circumstances. However, audiences are likely to make generalisations about people with mental ill-health as a result of the coverage
  • check the relevance of mental ill-health to the story. Report only where an illness has been confirmed by official sources.
  • take care not to imply that a specific mental illness was a factor in a story unless confirmed. Assuming that certain behaviours are associated with mental ill-health is often inaccurate and can perpetuate stigma
  • the way a police or court incident is reported may contribute to the perceived link between mental ill-health and violence. Research indicates that most people with a diagnosed mental illness have no history of violent behaviour and are more likely to be victims of violence
  • media can help community understand by providing context surrounding an incident involving a person with mental ill-health. For example, where violence occurs it is often in the context of drug use, distressing hallucinations, a lack of treatment, or treatment that may not have been effective.
Interviewing people living with mental ill-health
Sharing stories of people that have experienced mental illness can increase awareness, reduce stigma and promote hope. When interviewing a person with lived experience of mental ill-health, do so sensitivity and with discretion. While many people are happy to speak to the media, it can be difficult to talk publicly about a deeply personal issue.
Where possible, source someone who is supported to speak to the media. Many mental health organisations can now facilitate access to people living with mental ill-health, or their carers.
Be cautious about engaging with potential sources through social media as it can be difficult to tell someone's age or whether they are able to provide informed consent to participate in an interview.
Ensure there are no legal restrictions on interviewing or reporting about someone living with mental ill-health
Reporting on a celebrity's mental illness
If positively framed, stories about celebrities or public figures living with mental ill-health can be a powerful tool in breaking down stigma associated with particular illnesses and can encourage others to seek help.
Celebrity stories can also trivialise the seriousness of mental ill-health by presenting it as entertainment or gossip.
Before reporting, consider the reliability of your source and the language and images you use.

Last edited by a moderator:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your right to know the personal details of a person's illness over rides their right to privacy and the doctor/patient confidentiality.

All class man, all class.
No, my football club. I have more than a passing interest in it. I'd like to know who is running the show.

There is no disrespect to Shaw, There is a difference. What is wrong with people???

Honestly, what the fk is going on with this.

Is that latest vibe that it was all a cruel scam?? I can't believe that the club would wait this long to say something.

The truth is somewhere in between, yes shaw has mental health issue, no the club isnt going to kapoot, yes many wants the club to kapoot to make themselves feel good, no the club is probably doing much better off-field than others. So all-in-all, life goes on, the club will not cease to function minus anyone. Also we are in time of parsimony and forced parsimony. If there is any club that knows a thing or two about running with a shoe string budget, it's us. For the other BIG clubs that are used to big spending, ehehehehe, 'good time' ahead.

What's a parsimony?

And I would not be too keen on the AFL paying for our coach

No, my football club. I have more than a passing interest in it. I'd like to know who is running the show.

There is no disrespect to Shaw, There is a difference. What is wrong with people???
It isn't your football club. You support it and are likely a member of it but neither of those things give you the right to know what's happening with it's senior coach in terms of their potential personal mental battles.

Why shouldn't Shaw coach again? Mental health problems aren't a life sentence.

He might not want to coach at the moment because mental health problems cloud your judgment. Give the bloke a chance.

I hope he's OK, gets better & returns to the coaching box next season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It isn't your football club. You support it and are likely a member of it but neither of those things give you the right to know what's happening with it's senior coach in terms of their potential personal mental battles.

If you are a member it is your football club. That's what membership entails. It's what separates footy from sports like soccer; as members we have the right to vote out board members etc.

What's a parsimony?

And I would not be too keen on the AFL paying for our coach

I only started using this term in recent years, parsimony is the opposite of prosperity. Now is the time of cutbacks and cost cutting. If anything, the virus has levelled the playing field for us. Where if all the clubs are to fire all cylinders, we wont have a chance to compete because of the historical advantages and the more professional setup over the decades. But now, much less money is going to be around hence off field management focus hence gone from maximize profit to minimize cost. Our cost cutting side ability should be up there as we honed it through the cash strapped years of early 2000s and debt reducing days of 2010s. The next 5 years will be about how to live poor and not how to become rich. Big clubs, big cost. It's much harder for a big guy to survive on less food than the little dude.

As to afl paying for the coach, that's a rumour. My colleague at work was a runner for north from early 2000s until early 2010s, so he still got mates there and at other clubs. It was rumoured that AFL has stepped in to pay for Roos to be caretaker coach for 2 years, 2 mil per season. He will do his job just like at melbourne. We managed to get blakey and if the roos' rumour turns out to be correct, well well, the old firm reunited again. Maybe we should get longmire over and when roos' time is up, him as the director of coaching, longmire head coach, blakey assistant.

Clarkson's time at hawthorn is also looking like it's up as the team is completely messed up and he is at odds with the leadership. I wouldn't be surprised if he is given the push sometimes in the near future. We north need a coach and after the purge of 2020, the team is actually set up nicely. The timing is perfect. Before you know it, 2 flags in the bag and a total of 6 for clarkson in 2 decades to become the greatest of all time. Also there is the north narrative of a former north player coming back to take north to success and also a top coach taking a minow to premiership success/es. Hollywood couldn't script better. Him, blakey (both north player) in the box, archer at the board level, carey and king in the media........

As Darth Sidious used to say, 'everything is proceeding as he has foreseen'.

Caro on Footy Classified just now regarding Paul Roos to North...

"...hasn't responded to my questions as to whether he will play a part time or bigger role in overseeing Rhys Shaw, or whoever is coaching next year"

I am a member and I do think I have the right to know if we have a coach. If the admin are in the process of rushing somebody new into the position, I'd like to know and maybe share my opinion. Membership means you have certain say in the running of an organisation.

Again, it's not about Shaw. I really hope he's good. I am only in this crappy thread because they have completely barred the subject on my board.

Caro on Footy Classified just now regarding Paul Roos to North...

"...hasn't responded to my questions as to whether he will play a part time or bigger role in overseeing Rhys Shaw, or whoever is coaching next year"

Classic Caro. The entire AFL media respects mental health enough to not speculate on the issue but just like with James Hird she can’t help herself.

If anyone in the AFL needs to be cancelled, it’s her.

Classic Caro. The entire AFL media respects mental health enough to not speculate on the issue but just like with James Hird she can’t help herself.

If anyone in the AFL needs to be cancelled, it’s her.
Being fair it sounded like a slip up and she tried to cover her tracks talking about Blakey taking on a mentor role.

But there’s not much doubt what the context was.

If I am a North fan I'd want to know what's going on at my club. The carry on about mental health is comical at times. Needs to spoken about more....no needs to be kept quiet.... no we need more education..... It shouldn't be a taboo.... It's nobody else's business...... It's up to the family or individual..... respect their privacy..... it should be treated like any other illness..... no it shouldn't its different ....

Sorry if I sound callous but the club needs direction at such an important time of the year. The fans need to be reassured their club is taking care of business. If there is an issue, appoint a caretaker, announce Shaw is having time away for personal reasons and move on. Nobody that matters would think any less of him or the club.

Apprently roos almost certain to coach next year and AFL will push north to relocating to tassie. Also AFL apparently wants to merge saints and doggies

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
So you also got the message sent to 20,000 other people and has already been posted here?

Im in for relocation
The supporters on the North Melbourne board here are well aware.

So you also got the message sent to 20,000 other people and has already been posted here?

The supporters on the North Melbourne board here are well aware.

Hadn’t read through the whole thread so was unaware. The guy who sent it to me is supposedly realiable though, only time will tell if it is actually true though.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Rhyce Shaw in Hospital, won’t coach again: NO Trolling, cheap shots, or jokes will be Tolerated

Remove this Banner Ad

Back