• Andrew McQualter

Votes: 87 37.8%
  • Adem Yze

Votes: 146 63.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
By all reports Leppa was far too much of a hard ass in his time as head coach @ Brisbane and got a lot of the Lions players offside. I think we can comfortably agree that he's softened up a bit -

Animated GIF

I think Leppa would transition into the role seamlessly. I feel he was a great foil for Dimma and a lot of the revolutionary tactics we used over our successful years was actually instigated by Leppa. He turned Rance, Jack, Grimes, Astbury and Caddy's career around with his forward and defensive craft. It was Leppa that convinced Dimma to play small in the 2017 season and go all in on the pressure game. It was Leppa who convinced the coach to concentrate less on contested ball and more on winning/turning the ball over on the outside.

Leppa was an ordinary coach at Brisbane. He made all the same mistakes Dimma did - trying to take on too much himself, being too authoritarian, using an outdated gameplan - but his time developing the culture at first Richmond and now Collingwood, has completely changed him as a man manager.

He knows the people at Punt Road. He knows the players. He knows our gameplan and our culture. It just makes sense.

For me though, I would want him to clear out the existing coaches and bring in his own. Start fresh, with a fresh mix of ideas and the team that he can make his own. If he can build on the strengths of our existing list but also bring in his own ideas, then getting Leppa could immediately propel us up the ladder and keep us there for many years to come.

I think Leppa would transition into the role seamlessly. I feel he was a great foil for Dimma and a lot of the revolutionary tactics we used over our successful years was actually instigated by Leppa. He turned Rance, Jack, Grimes, Astbury and Caddy's career around with his forward and defensive craft. It was Leppa that convinced Dimma to play small in the 2017 season and go all in on the pressure game. It was Leppa who convinced the coach to concentrate less on contested ball and more on winning/turning the ball over on the outside.

Leppa was an ordinary coach at Brisbane. He made all the same mistakes Dimma did - trying to take on too much himself, being too authoritarian, using an outdated gameplan - but his time developing the culture at first Richmond and now Collingwood, has completely changed him as a man manager.

He knows the people at Punt Road. He knows the players. He knows our gameplan and our culture. It just makes sense.

For me though, I would want him to clear out the existing coaches and bring in his own. Start fresh, with a fresh mix of ideas and the team that he can make his own. If he can build on the strengths of our existing list but also bring in his own ideas, then getting Leppa could immediately propel us up the ladder and keep us there for many years to come.
I thought it was Caracalla

Go ask the Lions board, they would know better than anyone.

I dare say he has grown as a coach as well

10 fold.
Time out of the Chair and going to Architect the scumbags across the roads game plan let’s be honest has shown one it still stands up and two a more mature coach.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Haha geez guys he’s not that bad ….. he spends a lot of time analysing games so I think his mind is already working like a coach so can step right into the role perfectly
I was at a sportsman’s lunch where the guest speaker was Wayne Campbell and he said that everyone he’s met in his footy journey has taught him something about the game apart from David King

Not sure how people have forgotten his God awful of an assistant coach he was when we sucked

I was at a sportsman’s lunch where the guest speaker was Wayne Campbell and he said that everyone he’s met in his footy journey has taught him something about the game apart from David King

Not sure how people have forgotten his God awful of an assistant coach he was when we sucked

Remember being at a 3121 Coterie (might have been Player Sponsor back then) pre game talk. Usually they had an assistant coach come and discuss tactics etc.

David King came in to present. We were playing Collingwood and they were good and we were shit. He said we will get them in the midfield and felt we had the players to go with Collingwood head to head.

I scoffed and he looked at me.

Anyway, we got smashed by around 90 points that day. Never rated him as an assistant.

What I will say, is people change. They adapt and improve. We aren’t all stagnant. I do rate his tactical nous in the media now, he’s actually very good. Does that translate to being a coach? Who knows but just stating he’s doing a great job now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just a gut feel.
I liked what he did with Hardwick though.

Just think we need to move forward and start a new chapter with completely new people

Dimma, Peggy, probably Benny all gone. As well as most of the assistant coaches all gone from the successful team. At least 2 champion players will join that list come years end

New faces with a new mindset and new message is the way forward

I am in 2 minds about it, but i think i am leaning on keeping some component of that great era there. Its hard as being in my 40s ive never seen a Richmond culture & committee or coaching team be able to CHOOSE their own end date, but also create a culture worth even considering rolling over.

I think our culture in 2017-2019 was about as perfect as you could ever get, perhaps the best team culture of any team in my lifetime. I think it would just be wasteful to not try and build off that, instead of build over it.

I think more and more i am OK with the club going with Leppa. Statistically, pretty much every coach who takes over a long dynasty of success that has now, clearly, closed - has had a messy break-up and the next coach has not done overly well. Its super-rare to get another 10 year coach immediately after such a successful one. It might be better to go with someone familiar that we know will likely be able to rally our troops to help us repair our winning culture before we have to definitely abandon it,

One of the hardest pills to swallow from our recent demise has been the lack of character & leadership in this new group. None of them appear to be anywhere close to the quality of people like peak level Rance, Houli, etc.We had such a unqiue and diverse mix of people that ALL breathed community in a completely selfless way. Getting someone like Leppa in. - & i am very confident the team he would be able bring with him - would definitely help us get back in touch with that culture that we made so famous.

I am not a religious man, but i can respect religion for its ability to make outstanding people who can create selfless communities. It's quite a stunning difference to see our club pre & post them, cultural wise. Oddly, Dusty is the 3rd head of that monster - his street smart background, turn zen-master was on a similar level in a lot of ways. We had a once in a life-time combination to make our previous culture. Club could do worse things than contact both to help us, especially Rance. Houli might need some more time away, but Rance is a long time gone now.

Well I'd hope that any candidate that we're considering for the role goes through an interview process. I'd like the club to know what the plan is the new coach has for taking us forward. Blindly appointing someone that has spent a few years in the club and it mates with everyone has disaster written all over it, much like when Brisbane went and appointed Voss first up then turned to Leppitsch after that.

For mine anyone wanting the job must go through the full process.
Exactly that would be suicidal allowing him to walk in without a full blown interview that other candidates are expected to undergo. I’m almost turned off him as that’s just blatant arrogance.

This kinda reminds me of when Spud Frawley - God rest his soul - would be interviewed before big game and would say we are 'cherry ripe' for this contest.
Cherry ripe was code for we'll get the hiding of all hidings as we always did in big games back then.

Yeah. It's all about the hack that breaks the story. Na.

Pisyapantz funny is AI going to work, knocking off all the Chins from the Chins Browne image. What was the Chins directive you think?

Gonna guess at.....make it serious, svelte, botox. Salty Chris moisturizer gleam teamed with a forehead can be flogged off to for property development.
how many tabs

Exactly that would be suicidal allowing him to walk in without a full blown interview that other candidates are expected to undergo. I’m almost turned off him as that’s just blatant arrogance.
Totally agree. Even someone that is currently entrenched in the club, needs to be put through exactly the same process as every other short-listed candidate.
As for who it should be, I'm not sure that it should be Leppa. I don't know how many 'failed' coaches go on and take another side to a premiership. I know that 'failed' may be as a direct result of the list they inherited being way off the mark at that time, and/or the culture at the club is one that will stop a side from achieving what they should. For that matter, there are only a few premiership coaches from other clubs that have gone on to another club and won a premiership (Barass, Parkin, Jeans, ...). We know Leppa is a great assistant coach and maybe that's what he needs to be. Some people just work out what they are best suited to, accept it, and do it brilliantly. Maybe Leppa is the current generations equivalent of Choco or Balmey. Just adds that missing 'something' to a club.
I'm leaning towards an untried senior coach, with Leppa as an assistant, but not sure he would be enticed away from Collingwood, to fill the same role. Maybe director of coaching, or similar role, ??? I just trust that the club will follow due process, and appoint the right person to get this club back to the top.

Totally agree. Even someone that is currently entrenched in the club, needs to be put through exactly the same process as every other short-listed candidate.
As for who it should be, I'm not sure that it should be Leppa. I don't know how many 'failed' coaches go on and take another side to a premiership. I know that 'failed' may be as a direct result of the list they inherited being way off the mark at that time, and/or the culture at the club is one that will stop a side from achieving what they should. For that matter, there are only a few premiership coaches from other clubs that have gone on to another club and won a premiership (Barass, Parkin, Jeans, ...). We know Leppa is a great assistant coach and maybe that's what he needs to be. Some people just work out what they are best suited to, accept it, and do it brilliantly. Maybe Leppa is the current generations equivalent of Choco or Balmey. Just adds that missing 'something' to a club.
I'm leaning towards an untried senior coach, with Leppa as an assistant, but not sure he would be enticed away from Collingwood, to fill the same role. Maybe director of coaching, or similar role, ??? I just trust that the club will follow due process, and appoint the right person to get this club back to the top.
Excellent post mate. I would also like the club to employ an independent body to assist in the process of getting the coach for a completely independent view especially with cases like Chaplin, Grigg, Leppa, Caracella, Newman etc who’ve had dealings withe club previously as players or assistants. Leppa was only an assistant at RFC and not the coach and there are massive differences, expectations and roles these two positions hold. I wouldn’t want the club to hold an emotional attachment to the person based on their past relationship with us.

Last edited:

Dimma was a failed coach, really. At the end of 2016, everyone was expecting him to be sacked. He'd never won a final. We were a laughing stock as a club. He was a frustrated leader without answers. At any other time in our history or at the majority of other clubs in the competition, he would have been gone. If a coach had had that length of tenure and was still could not take their club to the finals, let alone win one, he would have been sacked. Like Leppa was after an incredible harsh call of 3 years.

To me, Leppa is no more of a failed coach than Dimma was. The difference was the support Dimma was given. I don't think it's any coincidence that when Leppa returned back to the club with the learnings he had made from his time as coach, we turned things around. I'm not claiming all our success was purely because of him - Dimma needs credit for pulling it all together, changing the club culture, backing in players such as Rioli, Dusty, Cotchin etc - but Leppa made some significant changes to our gameplan and on field structure that turned it around.

For me, the 'failed coach' tag should be ignored. Leppa is not the same leader he was when he coached Brisbane. He is now a well rounded coach. Maybe it took that failure (for Dimma and Leppa) to change and learn what truly works as a people manager. Leppa has the established relationships, the knowledge, the learnings that allow him to fit straight into the role. An untried coach, making a fresh start, takes us back to basics....and then they still might fail.

I'm not closed off to other possible coaches but I know enough about Leppa and our club to know it would be a good fit.

Last edited:
david king gets stuff wildly wrong every week still. just because he has the media skills to sound like he knows what he's talking about doesn't mean he's actually any good. he will look at 3 seconds of play and suggest changes to a teams entire structure and strategy based on those 3 seconds. then that team plays and benefits from doing the exact opposite of what he suggested. don't want anywhere near our club he's useless

Last edited:
Just on "failed coaches" and Leppa option.

You could say we are already harbouring two other failed coaches, Teague and Truck - not sure if this is a good thing, a bad thing or an irrelevant thing....

All of it. Read any thread re:Dimma since 2017.

Really interesting. I'm not basing my opinion on other supporters ideas or threads I read. Where I'm drawing my understanding is from talking to players and coaches, attending events where Caracella, Leppa and others have spoken, chatting to Balmey & Richo. Leppa is attributed to turning around the careers of Rance and our whole backline. He worked with Jack and Dusty. All of them attribute Leppa for teaching them how to work their opponents of the ball in one-on-one contests. How to work as a small team to stop opponents and free up players/space.

Leppa also brought back the idea of pressure. It had worked for the Doggies and Leppa had planned to use something similar at Brisbane for 2017 before he was shown the door. Leppa was forwards coach in 2017. He wanted to generate forward pressure by using smalls. He was the one to bring in the two little known and relatively untried duo of Bulter and Castagna, along with Rioli, to create panic, speed and chaos on our forwardline. Dimma was very eager to play two talls, in Jack and Griffiths. In many ways, having Griffiths injured helped Leppa demonstrate the strength of his plan. After a few weeks, the pressure focus spread throughout the team. Rioli was fanatic at it and pushed up the ground more to cause the turnovers we had been lacking. Soon, it was a team expectation. In the end, it won us the 2017 flag.

For me, I've never heard anything negative said about Caracella. He brought to the club the idea of the wings pushing back into defense that allowed us to spread more effectively and offensively when we broke away from contests. Leppa was the brains behind cutting off the outside receivers at stoppages, though. Dimma, the man behind the move the ball on at any cost (Hawks style).

Caracella could be a good coach but Leppa has the tactical ingenuity to be a great coach.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back