Club Focus Richmond 2024

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

It's not 2x first picks. It's a package deal for Rioli and some of their 2nd & 3rd picks for bidding. Media only reports on first round picks to catch attention.

Doesn't change much for me, it's not too difficult to trade back into the 2nd or 3rd rounds if there's someone of real interest still available.

The 2 first round picks are gold, it may hurt to see Rioli run around up north for a few years, but that'll be offset by seeing 2 more good young kids running around in the yellow and black.

B & F winner in a premiership year

You think the team being crap this year might have someting to do with an outside player not having a good year ?
I think he’s a slow outside player with a very good but not elite kick. Games gone passed him as very tigers fan can see and you should be playing Kaleb Smith who is a jet.

Could you explain a bit further, please? I was disappointed to see Brisbane pass on an academy player who went on to do well elsewhere, but maybe there was a reason they did.
He has a few issues. He seems to struggle to adhere to structures and his role within them. Whenever he cops a knock he goes down as if shot, stays down too long and often hobbles off, only to miraculously recover not long after. If he makes a blue he dwells on it and beats himself up instead of chasing the bad guy running away with the ball. I think it's a combination of anxiety, perhaps some ADHD, and being a bit of a sook and immature.

His best position is probably '6ft tall full-forward', which doesn't exist in the AFL. Teams are playing the likes of Scrimshaw on him, guys much taller who can match him on the ground and thrash him in the air. He also struggles when Dusty plays because they have similar roles in the forward line. His emergence in 2022 came when Dusty was out of the side.

He does have talent. As we've seen he has the ability to kick goals in bunches, but then go missing for three quarters. I hope we give him the rest of the year to prove me wrong.

I know that the Suns have been poor traders but surely they aren’t thinking of giving 2 first round picks for Rioli
They gave pick 2 for Lachie Weller. They gave pick 7 to get rid of Bowes. They have more draft picks than they know what to do with.

Anyway, pick 20 is not a first-rounder. It's the second of two picks inserted after the first round because North is a waste of space.

I know that the Suns have been poor traders but surely they aren’t thinking of giving 2 first round picks for Rioli
If the Sun's want something they always pay

Their first 2 picks wont be there when the bid for lombard comes at 5/6 so they would be open to moving the picks
specially with Richmond giving back points with later picks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After including the picks coming back, it'll probably work out to being worth the equivalent of a single mid-late first.

Of course, exact details will depend on what the AFL does with regard to changing the draft rules, especially those related to academy picks.

It’s exactly what tigers should do. Unless of course the Amateur hour AFL change everything on a whim. Getting 3-4 top 20 picks in a deep draft is huge. 2 good mids and 2 KP developing players and that’s a great way to fast track coming back up.

Yes/no.

You also need a solid core of good experienced players to guide the new kids along. Ideally players with 5+ years left in them so they'll be there until the job is done. Given Richmond's recent history, you'd like them to be premiership players (and if they've got leadership qualities, even better).

So Rioli/Baker are also precisely the type they'd want to keep, so it wouldn't be a simple call to trade them out. I doubt they'd be too keen to lose them both.

Yes/no.

You also need a solid core of good experienced players to guide the new kids along. Ideally players with 5+ years left in them so they'll be there until the job is done. Given Richmond's recent history, you'd like them to be premiership players (and if they've got leadership qualities, even better).

So Rioli/Baker are also precisely the type they'd want to keep, so it wouldn't be a simple call to trade them out. I doubt they'd be too keen to lose them both.
It's a balancing game, it'd be tough losing them but really getting a good haul of top young talent in offsets it a lot, losing them for peanuts would be a disaster but if losing Rioli and Baker nets us 3 top 20 picks, add those to the existing ones we have and potentially some other pick trades we could upgrade this draft could set us up very nicely.

How will Hopper and Taranto feel if Baker and Rioli go? I'm betting they didn't sign on for 7 years thinking the coach would last 6 months and the club would be trading out their best mid-late 20s talent 2 years later.

I wonder if either of them agitate to be traded and whether Richmond would be open to that.

Of course not, someone has just made that up. The Suns don't know where those picks will be yet, whether Lombard is likely to go before them or even how bid matching is going to work this year. The idea that they are already negotiating a price and are okay with giving up two firsts is complete BS.

How will Hopper and Taranto feel if Baker and Rioli go? I'm betting they didn't sign on for 7 years thinking the coach would last 6 months and the club would be trading out their best mid-late 20s talent 2 years later.

I wonder if either of them agitate to be traded and whether Richmond would be open to that.

Debatable, but given the circumstances of their recruitment, you'd think they'd be open to staying through the rebuild.

They were recruited to a club whose premiership window was closing, in an attempt to keep it open a bit longer.

All going well, that'd be hoping for 1-2 years of 'good times' (didn't happen, but nothing is ever certain).

Signing a longer contract suggests they were open to being involved in the aftermath, at least in theory.

Yeah, they could be upset about the theory not living up to reality (or whatever) but that's a risk with all recruits.

I dare say they'd be open to listening to other clubs (what player wouldn't be?), but at the same time wouldn't be banging the doors down to get out.

Rioli for 2 first rounders, things can't better than this, take the 2 firsts, run to the draft, teams with the best drafting of 2022 to 2027 will be the teams to thrive when tasmania arrives.

secret smell GIF

So the two 1st rounders may include Maurice as well as Daniel?

Wow.

Article saying the problem is they may want to stay together?

It would be a massive call for Richmond to trade out both. Football royalty at the Tigers and Maurice was starting to show decent improvement.

Not a surprising story if true as they are close and would understandibly prefer to stay togeether.

I think we can afford to lose Rioli or Baker, not both and I reckon we'd miss Baker more.

Remember, lose now, gain more later.

As a bottom 4 team, your main job now is to prepare for the 2028 event horizon by having the right drafting done so when tasmania comes in, you can proceed to build.

You don't want to be thinking of drafting in 2028 in other words you don't want to be in melb, geelong, port's shoes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Club Focus Richmond 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back