Club Focus Richmond 2024

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

Yes, far far worse than west coast.

The eagles have the following 21 or under players that have shown ability at afl level;
Reid
Ginbey
Hewett
Hough
Long
Chesser
Maric
Culley
J.Williams
Brockman

They then have a further 11 players under 21, including multiple top 30 picks.

I don’t even think Richmond have half the young talent at this stage.
Reid is a gun. Ginbey is improving. Hewett is always injured so who knows. Hough is improving. Maric is probably the 3rd best player so far on exposed form. Very underrated (even by his own coach I reckon). The jury is very much out on the remainder.

They don’t.

That is the price you pay for success, spend time at the top of the ladder and you usually don’t have access to the best young talent coming through.

It’s not a criticism of their side. Most would give the world to see their club achieve the same level of success.

Thankfully, most rational Richmond fans recognize this and accept it. Unfortunately there are irrational fans out there, but they’re not worth engaging with unless you need a laugh.

Yes, far far worse than west coast.

The eagles have the following 21 or under players that have shown ability at afl level;
Reid
Ginbey
Hewett
Hough
Long
Chesser
Maric
Culley
J.Williams
Brockman

They then have a further 11 players under 21, including multiple top 30 picks.

Lucky its not 21 year olds v 21 year olds, if that is your basis for success, you should go support Norf.

They don’t.

That is the price you pay for success, spend time at the top of the ladder and you usually don’t have access to the best young talent coming through.

It’s not a criticism of their side. Most would give the world to see their club achieve the same level of success.

Thankfully, most rational Richmond fans recognize this and accept it. Unfortunately there are irrational fans out there, but they’re not worth engaging with unless you need a laugh.
Or maybe some of those Richmond supporters know our list better than you and others who see them play twice a year.

Most of the oppo supporters have little to no idea and bring a great deal of LOL's to us all.

Or maybe some of those Richmond supporters know our list better than you and others who see them play twice a year.
Maybe, but you’re assuming I (and others) watch Richmond just twice a year.

It’s 2024. Footy is more readily available to all than ever before. Coverage is at an all time high and it’s a massive cop out to say someone watches Richmond more than others or that their view is more accurate because they’re a Richmond fan.

Most of the oppo supporters have little to no idea and bring a great deal of LOL's to us all.

Some supporters “have no idea”, but in reality most are just biased and can’t cop critique of their club or players, regardless of how accurate the critique is.

The issue is broader and is not and never has been limited to the particular club of support.

Last edited:
Maybe, but you’re assuming I (and others) watch Richmond just twice a year.

It’s 2024. Footy is more readily available to all than ever before. Coverage is at an all time high and it’s a massive cop out to say someone watches Richmond more than others or that their view is more accurate because they’re a Richmond fan.

Some supporters “have no idea”, but in reality most are just biased and can’t cop critique of their club or players, regardless of how accurate the critique is.

The issue is broader and is not and never has been limited to the particular club of support.
Most opinions on oppo teams are media driven with many of them hardly having an original opinion lets be honest.

We were told by all and sundry at the start of the year that we had no kids coming through, our injury crisis has clearly proven that to be wrong.

Most opinions on oppo teams are media driven with many of them hardly having an original opinion lets be honest.

Some maybe. But again we’re in 2024, a lot of people watch a lot of footy.

It’s disingenuous to simply say that someone doesn’t know what they’re talking about because they don’t follow a particular team.

We were told by all and sundry at the start of the year that we had no kids coming through, our injury crisis has clearly proven that to be wrong.

You’re 17th with 2 wins on the board through 13 games. A percentage of 63.

Some kids have done well with opportunity but let’s not go overboard here.

Criticism of Richmond’s kids has largely been they’re not top echelon and there aren’t enough of them. I don’t think you can honestly say either of those statements are incorrect at this point in time.

It’s disingenuous to simply say that someone doesn’t know what they’re talking about because they don’t follow a particular team.

Criticism of Richmond’s kids has largely been they’re not top echelon and there aren’t enough of them. I don’t think you can honestly say either of those statements are incorrect at this point in time.

My issue is the way yourself and many stated opinions as facts in previous posts, yet the opinions of Tigers fans, who you cant possibly argue, would likely know more about our list than you and others, just like you would regarding Blues kids. Yet you and other criticise these supporters as delusional or laughable.

Hardly overboard at all, I didn't make some outlandish statement. Our position is linked directly to our injury list, that doesnt diminish the performance of the kids coming through.

Where we do agree, which I have said a few times, we lack the next gen of STARS. That however, could turn quite fast with a successful draft this year and next, all the while retaining a quality core that will hopefully stay on the park next year.

Our list isnt the problem, its the strength and conditioning department and some really bad luck.

To be fair given he considers 26 down to be youth I can see why he thinks there’s a fair few of them.
25/26 - still a good 5-7 years left
So over halfway through their career?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Question.

Of the Richmond kids 21-23 who have played a bit this year (Mansell, Kosi, Ross, Ryan, Cumberland, Dow, Ralphsmith, Trezise, Rioli, Sonsie and Banks) which do you think are likely to play 150+ games and be good long-term players?

Why 21-23? What about the ones younger

There are only 3 under 21 to have played significant games this year in Brown, Campbell and McAuliffe. None have played more than 12 games in their career so they're difficult to judge. The 21-23 year olds have more of a body of work to look at.

FWIW I think all 3 have shown some real talent and could be good players but none are really impacting games yet (none have got a rising star nom despite all 3 being eligible).

My issue is the way yourself and many stated opinions as facts in previous posts, yet the opinions of Tigers fans, who you cant possibly argue, would likely know more about our list than you and others, just like you would regarding Blues kids. Yet you and other criticise these supporters as delusional or laughable.

But here you are again falling back on the notion that Richmond supporters have seen more of Richmond kids, for no reason other than they are Richmond supporters.

And that they're definitely not biased at all when talking about their own club.

Reality is, many people watch a lot of footy, including well before they are drafted into the system; particularly on here where we're all footy nuts and many on this board have an interest in drafting and player movement.

Conversely, I know a lot of footy fans who don't watch more than 5-8 games per season. And yet you're telling me they know more because they're Richmond supporters?

It's a nonsensical argument.

So yes, when someone says Richmond has a group of "excellent players" - and presents the following two lists - I think it's entirely fair and reasonable to ask for clarification as to which group is being referred to, and argue that such an appraisal is not exactly reasonable or balanced.

Gibcus
Mchauliff
Campbell
Ralphsmiyh
Brown
Mansell

Miller
Sonsie
Sampson
Dow
Ross
Mrj
Cumberland

Hardly overboard at all, I didn't make some outlandish statement. Our position is linked directly to our injury list, that doesnt diminish the performance of the kids coming through.

It is linked, but let's not pretend as though it's unreasonable to suggest Richmond were a chance for a bottom 4 finish without injury.

Where we do agree, which I have said a few times, we lack the next gen of STARS. That however, could turn quite fast with a successful draft this year and next, all the while retaining a quality core that will hopefully stay on the park next year.
Sure. Things can turn around and they can turn around quickly. But you need the club to have decided they're not going full rebuild, and a lot of luck along the way.

More often than not it doesn't turn around immediately. It may not be what you want to hear, but I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest there will be a few years of pain ahead.
Our list isnt the problem, its the strength and conditioning department and some really bad luck.

It's a little from column A and a little from column B from where I'm sitting.

There are only 3 under 21 to have played significant games this year in Brown, Campbell and McAuliffe. None have played more than 12 games in their career so they're difficult to judge. The 21-23 year olds have more of a body of work to look at.

FWIW I think all 3 have shown some real talent and could be good players but none are really impacting games yet (none have got a rising star nom despite all 3 being eligible).

well you may find it difficult to judge, or it just does not suit your argument maybe

I don't find it difficult at all, I have seen enough

And please do not use the rising star as a judge, its right up there with the aa jumper for relevance

Brown
Campbell
McAuliffe
Mansell
Ross,
Ralphsmith,
Rioli,

Will all be 10 year players no problem

Ryan, Cumberland could be anything but could be nothing

Trezise will be a 10 yr player as well, but maybe not at richmond due to a lack of opportunities

Sonsie, Banks dow are all improving, but are 50/50 in having an AFL career

Thing is, most oppo fans come to this thread to laugh at Richmond, but you all have no idea. I am the one laughing at you

Laugh away IDGAF

Question.

Of the Richmond kids 21-23 who have played a bit this year (Mansell, Kosi, Ross, Ryan, Cumberland, Dow, Ralphsmith, Trezise, Rioli, Sonsie and Banks) which do you think are likely to play 150+ games and be good long-term players?
Now that theyre getting games a few are showing that they'll be good role players. We need our next crop of stars though no one can deny that.

The 3 in your below post probably look the pick of the bunch along with Gibcus if he can stay fit.

Our biggest issues are injuries, lack of a kpf to kick to and lack of superstars which should come now we are down the bottom and free up salary space from Dusty/Lynch.

Absolutely must get this draft right.

But here you are again falling back on the notion that Richmond supporters have seen more of Richmond kids, for no reason other than they are Richmond supporters.

And that they're definitely not biased at all when talking about their own club.

Reality is, many people watch a lot of footy, including well before they are drafted into the system; particularly on here where we're all footy nuts and many on this board have an interest in drafting and player movement.

Conversely, I know a lot of footy fans who don't watch more than 5-8 games per season. And yet you're telling me they know more because they're Richmond supporters?

It's a nonsensical argument.

So yes, when someone says Richmond has a group of "excellent players" - and presents the following two lists - I think it's entirely fair and reasonable to ask for clarification as to which group is being referred to, and argue that such an appraisal is not exactly reasonable or balanced.

It is linked, but let's not pretend as though it's unreasonable to suggest Richmond were a chance for a bottom 4 finish without injury.

Sure. Things can turn around and they can turn around quickly. But you need the club to have decided they're not going full rebuild, and a lot of luck along the way.

More often than not it doesn't turn around immediately. It may not be what you want to hear, but I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest there will be a few years of pain ahead.

It's a little from column A and a little from column B from where I'm sitting.
And you’re falling back on non Richmond supporters watching so much footy that they even watched our VFL the last few years.

It’s pretty obvious which notion is more likely.

I am positive if I started picking apart the blues kids you’d feel like you knew more than me and you’d be correct.

We will never know what 2024 would have been like without injury but just like I was positive the blues would be serious contenders, I am equally positive fully fit we would have played finals.

And you’re falling back on non Richmond supporters watching so much footy that they even watched our VFL the last few years.
No, I'm falling back on some fans being overly confident on young prospects for no reason other than they play for the team they support.

A pretty common phenomenon around here I would have thought.

I am positive if I started picking apart the blues kids you’d feel like you knew more than me and you’d be correct.

You specifically, maybe, but if someone has watched these kids for 5+ years I am very happy to bow to their knowledge.

We will never know what 2024 would have been like without injury but just like I was positive the blues would be serious contenders, I am equally positive fully fit we would have played finals.

Positivity is great. Often misguided, but great none the less.

No, I'm falling back on some fans being overly confident on young prospects for no reason other than they play for the team they support.

A pretty common phenomenon around here I would have thought.

You specifically, maybe, but if someone has watched these kids for 5+ years I am very happy to bow to their knowledge.

Positivity is great. Often misguided, but great none the less.
Thats a sideways move on your argument but please show me posters in here that have argued to this point how bad we are that have watched our kids for 5 years. I'll wait..............................

You know whats not great, negativity, albeit often misdirected, but not great nonetheless.

Who are the Tigers gonna let go in order to speed up the rebuild?

Baker looks like he will head back to WA.

Dusty to Gold Coast perhaps.

Who else has trade currency... Sydney might need a KPF. Is Tom Lynch gettable?

Shai Bolton?
Give me one example where "speeding up the rebuild" has ever worked? It's a myth.

Give me one example where "speeding up the rebuild" has ever worked? It's a myth.
How would we know if it worked or not though? I can think of several instances where a club has tried to "short-cut" a rebuild, gone nowhere and had to rebuild fully anyway

Remove this Banner Ad

Club Focus Richmond 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back