Club Focus Richmond 2024

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

Question.

Of the Richmond kids 21-23 who have played a bit this year (Mansell, Kosi, Ross, Ryan, Cumberland, Dow, Ralphsmith, Trezise, Rioli, Sonsie and Banks) which do you think are likely to play 150+ games and be good long-term players?
On exposed form:
  • Mansell
  • Ross
  • Rioli

Ralphsmith I was close to giving up on but he’s been showing a bit lately so could add himself to the list

Trezise I haven’t really seen enough of to judge

Most of the rest will need to find something extra to get there (not too late for most of them to do that I guess but one or two might be running short on time)

Kosi . . . not looking too flash from what I’ve seen.

Give me one example where "speeding up the rebuild" has ever worked? It's a myth.
Well I could have said 'accept' the rebuild and get on with it, as opposed to deny it and go all out for another premiership cough*westcoast*cough

Everyone else saw the cliff coming.
cliff GIF

Which bit? My point has been fairly consistent I reckon.

Where have I been negative?
You are suggesting the average punter on BF, in this thread, watches kids for 5 years from other teams, thats laughable at best.

You then dispute my suggestion, that its more likely Tigers supporters in general, know their kids and unseen players better than the general oppo supporter.

You are suggesting the average punter on BF, in this thread, watches kids for 5 years from other teams, thats laughable at best.

No, not quite.

My point is that supporting the team a player plays for, doesn’t necessarily make you an expert on said player.

Nor should the opinion of others be ridiculed because yOu dOn’T sUpPoRt RiChMoNd.

Breaking news: supporters are inherently biased towards players on their own side, and people have the right to dispute it when it happens on a public forum.

You then dispute my suggestion, that its more likely Tigers supporters in general, know their kids and unseen players better than the general oppo supporter.

I never disputed that. Perhaps you misunderstood.

More likely sure. But there are plenty of non-Richmond fans who would watch just as much of these “kids” as many Richmond fans, if not more, and their opinions on said players should not be dismissed just because.

Hopefully the above clarifies and we can all move on.

No, not quite.

My point is that supporting the team a player plays for, doesn’t necessarily make you an expert on said player.

Nor should the opinion of others be ridiculed because yOu dOn’T sUpPoRt RiChMoNd.

Breaking news: supporters are inherently biased towards players on their own side, and people have the right to dispute it when it happens on a public forum.

I never disputed that. Perhaps you misunderstood.

More likely sure. But there are plenty of non-Richmond fans who would watch just as much of these “kids” as many Richmond fans, if not more, and their opinions on said players should not be dismissed just because.

Hopefully the above clarifies and we can all move on.
I think you are reaching and arguing for the sake it, but atleast you remained respectful. Agree to disagree.

Question.

Of the Richmond kids 21-23 who have played a bit this year (Mansell, Kosi, Ross, Ryan, Cumberland, Dow, Ralphsmith, Trezise, Rioli, Sonsie and Banks) which do you think are likely to play 150+ games and be good long-term players?
Mansell , Sonsie , Brown, Ross , Ralphsmith , Campbell , Rioli , Gibcus , Clark , McAuliffe

Mansell , Sonsie , Brown, Ross , Ralphsmith , Campbell , Rioli , Gibcus , Clark , McAuliffe

I think that list is a stretch. I can’t see all of those guys lasting another 7+ years required to reach the milestone.

But if the Tigers make some clever trades this year, and end up with multiple Rd1 picks, the next quality crop would be far more likely.

Can’t see the Tigers passing up the 2 x 1sts apparently being offered for Rioli.

Now we wait & see what the final deal is. Tigers going to draft some quality youth this year.
It'd be a hard deal to pass up tbh. I think we'd be chasing your first 2 picks though and give you a future 2nd rounder or something for the academy kids next year.

Can’t see the Tigers passing up the 2 x 1sts apparently being offered for Rioli.

Now we wait & see what the final deal is. Tigers going to draft some quality youth this year.
Would take this if true. Would hate to lose him but it is a quality draft this year, and a good deal is a good deal.

If that does eventuate and GC are offering that would indicate Rioli has agreed
would hate to see him go but 2 1st rounders in a rebuild are GOLD

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It seems likely. One of my most loved players but given our position and his age in our list profile (28 next April) one we simply have to let go if offered 2 firsts in this draft. It's a pretty deep top 20.

Rioli out is an absolute no brainer if there's any truth to the rumour of 2 x 1st round picks.

It'll tug at the heart strings of Tiger fans given the surname and what the player has achieved at the club, but what a great way to kick-start a rebuild that would be.
Its one of these trades that you must do to advance the rebuild

I just hope he doesnt play more than 99 games for the suns

Rioli out is an absolute no brainer if there's any truth to the rumour of 2 x 1st round picks.

It'll tug at the heart strings of Tiger fans given the surname and what the player has achieved at the club, but what a great way to kick-start a rebuild that would be.
Will definitely sting a little given who it is but the club needs to get picks in before Tassie and just taking our own picks isn't going to cut it.

Will definitely sting a little given who it is but the club needs to get picks in before Tassie and just taking our own picks isn't going to cut it.
I would melt, I dont have the stomach for these types of decisions haha

I still stand by my post months ago, wont leave.

Question.

21-23 is very narrow. You're ruling out Noah Balta and our 208cm Cat B rookie Oliver Hayes-Brown who is showing great signs in the VFL. Both are only 24. Balta is a premiership player with 95 games under his belt. He's got another 8-10 years, so has OHB if he's good enough.

But I'll play. I'll do anyone 24 and under:
Banks (21) - jury out. Probably on the wrong side of 50/50 to make it given he's outside and not super-quick, but has smarts, can run all day and is a good kick, so not without hope.
Bauer (22) - just can't stay on the park at the moment. If he can get his body right I think we have a player. Third tall at either end. Fearless in the air and a great kick. If he gets right he's the heir to Grimes/Broad.
Blight (22) - hopefully we see him in the ones soon, has impressed in the VFL. Great mark, great size, good kick. Might be a bit slow, let's find out.
Brown (20) - star in the making. 200 games.
Campbell (19) - see Brown.
Clarke (20) - two knee recos is not good. Talented, smart kid with pace and a lethal left boot in the Fly Mcrae mould. I'm a big fan and so is the club, they see him as the Kane Lambert successor as a high half-forward.
Coulthard (23) - looked great last year but struggling this year after an interrupted pre-season. Very slight when he came to us, he looks to have put on weight while trying to learn the wing role. Jury out for me. He's small but talented.
Cumberland (23) - talented space cadet. No.
Dow (22) - inside mid who can win the loose ball as well as anyone but can't put on weight, kick or run. No.
Gibcus (21) - two horrific injuries back to back will cost him two years. Body only thing stopping him. Serious talent.
Gray (20) - great hands, rangy athlete. Hope to see him in the AFL before the year's out.
Green (20) - poor man's Liam Baker. Has some traits but just too small and not quick enough to compensate. No.
Kosi (23) - No.
Mansell (24) - Handy, dogged, disciplined, role player with decent speed and unflinching commitment to the contest. Has already played 44 games, think he'll get to 100.
McAuliffe (19) - will captain the club. 200 games. BOG in the VFL on debut and nearly every other game at the level. Tough, strong, aggressive inside mid with good speed and a great left boot. We were lucky injury last year stopped him showing his best.
Miller (24) - 198cm, quick, great skills and decision-making. The knock has always been his intensity but it looks like the penny has finally dropped. A lock in our backline for the next six years.
Ralphsmith (22) - I was in the delist camp last year but along with Miller is our most improved player this year. Built for the game at 187cm and I'll guess 85kg, has both pace and the ability to run all day. Good overhead and learning to play within his limitations and choose the targets he can hit. Has taken ownership of a wing and if he keeps improving it's his to lose. Need more evidence before I'll fully declare him but currently looks an adequate AFL player.
Maurice Rioli (21) - Yes.
Ross (23) - levelled up to adequate AFL player last year. Cruel timing with injury this year when the chance was there to move from the wing to his preferred midfield role. 68 games in, I think he gets to 150, not sure how high his ceiling is however. B-grader at best I'd say, but that's ok, teams need b-graders.
Ryan (23) - think he's a first ruck. Dominant VFL ruck who is asked to play mostly forward when he gets the call-up. Nank's successor but the emergence of OHB means he has a rival. I've always been very bullish on him but with his frame he's a slow burn.
Smith (19) - Hell yes.
Sonsie (21) - Has great instincts and sublime skills but being his size and outside without pace is the question. Needs to improve contest work and running, which to be fair he has off a low base. Hardwick hung him out to dry against Brandon Ellis last year and he was embarrassed by a bloke with half his talent but twice his work ethic. Came back a lot fitter this year but probably needs to come back even fitter next year.
Trezise (22) - Really like this guy. From bush footy to the big league in a year shows his talent. Great one-on-one and in the air. Decent disposal. I say yes.

Pick it apart all you want, I remember being scorned telling you lot in 2017 that Shai Bolton was a star in the making.

If one of the firsts is pick 20 which will blow out to 25+, I hope we say give us pick 20 for Jayden Short instead and we'll call it quits. If it's both early picks, jeez. You'd probably have to do it but it's Rioli!

The good news for us is he's contracted for three more years so I'd say he's staying unless the offer is too good to refuse.

you’d have to pay clubs to take Jayden Short at this point.

It's not 2x first picks. It's a package deal for Rioli and some of their 2nd & 3rd picks for bidding. Media only reports on first round picks to catch attention.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back