Club Focus Richmond 2024

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

Unpopular opinion but Richmond don’t need much

Well other than a reasonable run with injuries

Richmond have quietly assembled a bevy of young talent , some exposed some not yet exposed

Gibcus
Mchauliff
Campbell
Ralphsmiyh
Brown
Mansell

All excellent players getting better every week

Miller
Sonsie
Sampson
Dow
Ross
Mrj
Cumberland

Then there the youngsters no one knows yet

Bauer
Trezise
Banks
Smith
Green

As well as the core players that will be there on the next 3-5 years

Hopper
Taranto
Rioli
Baker
Balta
Bolton
Short

Add another 3/4 top 30 draft picks this year it’s all good

And that’s assuming all the old guys decline rapidly which they won’t
I like your positivity but I feel you overrate our list.

I think he is fantastic, but we have been unlucky with Gibcus…big question marks on his health going forward now.
Brown, McAuliffe and Campbell look very talented (Rated in that order).
Hugo and Mansell have both lifted this year, but have their limitations (Hugo can be suspect under pressure, Mansell sometimes lacks a brain).

Now that list above is what you have listed as our best young talent. Compare it to other clubs, and it’s struggling.
The other names you listed under Miller (Himself included) are all yet to stamp their AFL credentials and are just as likely to not make it as they are to make it.

Our core list you mentioned is lacking in number and quality (Bolton, Balta, Taranto, Rioli excluded) with Baker quality but likely to leave, Hopper made of paper, and Short a liability defensively).

I want more flags, not fluffing around like the Essendon’s and St Kilda’s of the world. We need a good solid 3-4 drafts to come out the other side in good shape imo.
There’s nothing wrong with that too btw, it’s a by product of having a ridiculously successful period and being starved of young talent for so long.

Then we come to our late points picks which I believe we could bundle to either Brisbane or GC for another first rounder.

Without being too crazy, Richmond could then be hitting the draft with

Pick 2, Gold Coast R1 (Rioli) Brisbane R1 (Points trade), Freo R1 (Baker) then pick 22 our current R2

As stated on the previous pages, Richmond aren't getting Brisbane's first pick unless they stump up what has usually been a ~200-300 point premium for the pick (i.e. value of the pick we have + 200-300 points). As an example, Brisbane received pick 21 + GWS future second for pick 15. The "wink wink" deal to not bid on Ashcroft also doesn't really work if North have the first pick.

So I hazard a guess pick 22 would need to be part of that deal at a minimum (especially if it ends up top 8). We're also not going to have the list spots to take a bunch of junk picks into the draft. Because of that, we're likely to only take two live picks at the draft anyway so wouldn't necessarily be looking at trading back in.

I like your positivity but I feel you overrate our list.

I think he is fantastic, but we have been unlucky with Gibcus…big question marks on his health going forward now.
Brown, McAuliffe and Campbell look very talented (Rated in that order).
Hugo and Mansell have both lifted this year, but have their limitations (Hugo can be suspect under pressure, Mansell sometimes lacks a brain).

Now that list above is what you have listed as our best young talent. Compare it to other clubs, and it’s struggling.
The other names you listed under Miller (Himself included) are all yet to stamp their AFL credentials and are just as likely to not make it as they are to make it.

Our core list you mentioned is lacking in number and quality (Bolton, Balta, Taranto, Rioli excluded) with Baker quality but likely to leave, Hopper made of paper, and Short a liability defensively).

I want more flags, not fluffing around like the Essendon’s and St Kilda’s of the world. We need a good solid 3-4 drafts to come out the other side in good shape imo.
There’s nothing wrong with that too btw, it’s a by product of having a ridiculously successful period and being starved of young talent for so long.

I think you will find that taking 10 of the best 15 players out of any team due to injury will expose the team to bad results .

On Miller I think he has already made it so I disagree with you , there was a stat last week saying he had lost 1 one one 1 contest for the whole year .

Short has been out of form , but he is a best and fairest winner in a premiership year

Hopper has been constantly injured agreed but when he has played he looks good enough to lead the team in the middle

What I do think we need for sure is a complete overhaul of our strength and conditioning programme it is a disaster at the moment and we need to do alot better

Regarding baker just hold your horses he hasn’t left yet and if he does I am very confident we will get full value .

So yea our kids have yet to prove themselves , but I see a lot of talent coming through as evidenced by our great results in the vfl

In any case it is very important we nail our draft picks especially this year as we have access to the best youngsters in the country for the first time in 15/20
years and we need to make it count

What I do have confidence in is Blair Hartley , he is imho one of the best in the business and he built the list and managed the tpp to get us 3 flags and I think we should have confidence in him to do it all again .

I am excited by the future , the biggest need we have is for a lynch type forward and even though balta is clearly an elite level kpd I think he could be a an elite kpf as well given the right delivery and support in the team in other positions

Naysayers will look at negatives but I think I have seen enough this year to be quite optimistic about the future given a reasonable injury run .

I think you will find that taking 10 of the best 15 players out of any team due to injury will expose the team to bad results .

On Miller I think he has already made it so I disagree with you , there was a stat last week saying he had lost 1 one one 1 contest for the whole year .

Short has been out of form , but he is a best and fairest winner in a premiership year

Hopper has been constantly injured agreed but when he has played he looks good enough to lead the team in the middle

What I do think we need for sure is a complete overhaul of our strength and conditioning programme it is a disaster at the moment and we need to do alot better

Regarding baker just hold your horses he hasn’t left yet and if he does I am very confident we will get full value .

So yea our kids have yet to prove themselves , but I see a lot of talent coming through as evidenced by our great results in the vfl

In any case it is very important we nail our draft picks especially this year as we have access to the best youngsters in the country for the first time in 15/20
years and we need to make it count

What I do have confidence in is Blair Hartley , he is imho one of the best in the business and he built the list and managed the tpp to get us 3 flags and I think we should have confidence in him to do it all again .

I am excited by the future , the biggest need we have is for a lynch type forward and even though balta is clearly an elite level kpd I think he could be a an elite kpf as well given the right delivery and support in the team in other positions

Naysayers will look at negatives but I think I have seen enough this year to be quite optimistic about the future given a reasonable injury run .
Injuries have played a massive part I don’t disagree, but if we have a healthy run do you think we are top 4? I think we are 8th-12th and that is with aging stars like prestia, lynch, grimes and co.

Our VFL program has been very impressive as you said, but I think you’ll find it’s the plethora of non-listed talent that is keeping them afloat. We have a very good VFL program.

As I said I don’t want to be an also-ran, and fully fit we are good enough to compete but not to win premierships, and we won’t be next year either.

It’s not a negative outlook, but I think it’s one step back for two steps forward which will take 3-4 years. Let’s not get into the habit of what we did in the 90s and early 2000s (What Essendon and St Kilda are doing right now)

Injuries have played a massive part I don’t disagree, but if we have a healthy run do you think we are top 4? I think we are 8th-12th and that is with aging stars like prestia, lynch, grimes and co.

Our VFL program has been very impressive as you said, but I think you’ll find it’s the plethora of non-listed talent that is keeping them afloat. We have a very good VFL program.

As I said I don’t want to be an also-ran, and fully fit we are good enough to compete but not to win premierships, and we won’t be next year either.

It’s not a negative outlook, but I think it’s one step back for two steps forward which will take 3-4 years. Let’s not get into the habit of what we did in the 90s and early 2000s (What Essendon and St Kilda are doing right now)
Taking a step back to go forwards isnt the only way though, and I dont think we should accept that. I also think 2024 is a forced step back so that will do.

Taking a step back to go forwards isnt the only way though, and I dont think we should accept that. I also think 2024 is a forced step back so that will do.
Well it’s not necessarily about accepting it, it’s just my opinion. If they’re good enough they’ll go forwards regardless, I just don’t think they will be.

We lack any superstar level young talent (Dusty, Cotchin, Jack, Deledio level).
I think the next few drafts of top 3 picks will hopefully address that so we can march back up the ladder with long term talent behind us.

Well it’s not necessarily about accepting it, it’s just my opinion. If they’re good enough they’ll go forwards regardless, I just don’t think they will be.

We lack any superstar level young talent (Dusty, Cotchin, Jack, Deledio level).
I think the next few drafts of top 3 picks will hopefully address that so we can march back up the ladder with long term talent behind us.
Yeah I agree on that, we need our next gen of stars drafted.

As stated on the previous pages, Richmond aren't getting Brisbane's first pick unless they stump up what has usually been a ~200-300 point premium for the pick (i.e. value of the pick we have + 200-300 points). As an example, Brisbane received pick 21 + GWS future second for pick 15. The "wink wink" deal to not bid on Ashcroft also doesn't really work if North have the first pick.

So I hazard a guess pick 22 would need to be part of that deal at a minimum (especially if it ends up top 8). We're also not going to have the list spots to take a bunch of junk picks into the draft. Because of that, we're likely to only take two live picks at the draft anyway so wouldn't necessarily be looking at trading back in.
I think we could still make it work, we currently have (before any potential Baker, Rioli, Bolton deals or FA compo picks)
2, 22, 32, 40, 41, 50, 58, 69, 71
or 5308 points.

We could involve 22 in the deal and still have quite a good draft hand if Baker, and one of Rioli or Bolton did potentially end up being traded.

TBH I think Brisbane finish higher than you are now, so it probably makes it even easier for us to acquire your pick.

And if Brisbane don't trade there is potentially Adelaide or Carlton who might be options.

I think we could still make it work, we currently have (before any potential Baker, Rioli, Bolton deals or FA compo picks)
2, 22, 32, 40, 41, 50, 58, 69, 71
or 5308 points.

We could involve 22 in the deal and still have quite a good draft hand if Baker, and one of Rioli or Bolton did potentially end up being traded.

TBH I think Brisbane finish higher than you are now, so it probably makes it even easier for us to acquire your pick.

And if Brisbane don't trade there is potentially Adelaide or Carlton who might be options.

Yeah definitely, Richmond have a good hand to make moves. I just think the fantasies I've seen of 40, 41, 50 etc for pick 8-10 are a bit wishful.

Last edited:

If I'm Brisbane, the first call I make once the picks are settled is to Carlton to see what they are willing to give up. Seem the most comparable to Dogs last year and might pay a premium to move into the top and get way ahead of bids. Richmonds picks dont come close to getting it done.

Richmond, comparatively should and will be aiming for a GC or Carlton first with their current haul and would need at least a teen pick from trading a player to get close IMO.

For example. This (first and future first):
1718097872373.png
Shits all over this:
1718097931402.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I'm Brisbane, the first call I make once the picks are settled is to Carlton to see what they are willing to give up. Seem the most comparable to Dogs last year and might pay a premium to move into the top and get way ahead of bids. Richmonds picks dont come close to getting it done.

Richmond, comparatively should and will be aiming for a GC or Carlton first with their current haul and would need at least a teen pick from trading a player to get close IMO.

For example. This (first and future first):
View attachment 2017187
Shits all over this:
View attachment 2017189
Only problem with that scenario is that Carlto have the 2 camporeali boys with Ben expected to be a mid 1st rounder and his brother mid 2nd round

Carlton have picks 17, 37, 64, 66, 68 = 1748 points and they will also be short of points

Only problem with that scenario is that Carlto have the 2 camporeali boys with Ben expected to be a mid 1st rounder and his brother mid 2nd round

Carlton have picks 17, 37, 64, 66, 68 = 1748 points and they will also be short of points
Maybe, teams always seem to find a way. If you can find me a pick a swap for a top 10 pick close to what Richmond have at the moment, I'll relent and say you have a chance. But the picks you have get done for deals like these
1718106465104.png
1718106548578.png

These are the picks you need to just move up in middle to late first round
1718106623739.png

Attachments

• 1718106512743.png
    1718106512743.png
    10.3 KB · Views: 4
Unpopular opinion but Richmond don’t need much

Well other than a reasonable run with injuries

Richmond have quietly assembled a bevy of young talent , some exposed some not yet exposed

Gibcus
Mchauliff
Campbell
Ralphsmiyh
Brown
Mansell

All excellent players getting better every week

Miller
Sonsie
Sampson
Dow
Ross
Mrj
Cumberland

Then there the youngsters no one knows yet

Bauer
Trezise
Banks
Smith
Green

As well as the core players that will be there on the next 3-5 years

Hopper
Taranto
Rioli
Baker
Balta
Bolton
Short

Add another 3/4 top 30 draft picks this year it’s all good

And that’s assuming all the old guys decline rapidly which they won’t
**** me it’s way worse than I thought. The worst youth in the league by a country mile.

Worst than west coast ?

Really ?
Yes, far far worse than west coast.

The eagles have the following 21 or under players that have shown ability at afl level;
Reid
Ginbey
Hewett
Hough
Long
Chesser
Maric
Culley
J.Williams
Brockman

They then have a further 11 players under 21, including multiple top 30 picks.

I don’t even think Richmond have half the young talent at this stage.

Maybe, teams always seem to find a way. If you can find me a pick a swap for a top 10 pick close to what Richmond have at the moment, I'll relent and say you have a chance. But the picks you have get done for deals like these
View attachment 2017309
View attachment 2017313

These are the picks you need to just move up in middle to late first round
View attachment 2017315
Not saying its whats going ti happen just saying the most likely team to trade with Brisbane is Richmond
who knows maybe Richmond dont even want to trade for that pick if the player they want after the first 5 could be some one Like Shannahan or Lalor that could be pick #15/#16 and a trade with carlton would be more suitable

But Richmond have the picks to most satisfy Brisbane it thats what they do

Yes, far far worse than west coast.

The eagles have the following 21 or under players that have shown ability at afl level;
Reid
Ginbey
Hewett
Hough
Long
Chesser
Maric
Culley
J.Williams
Brockman

They then have a further 11 players under 21, including multiple top 30 picks.

I don’t even think Richmond have half the young talent at this stage.

Yeah other than Reid not sure any of those players will make it .

In fact most won’t make it

Thanks fir coming to the Richmond thread though

brisbane will be unlikely to have anything enticing enough to get ahead of where the ashcroft bid will fall. most likely thing the club will do is try trade whatever our first ends up being into next year and accrue junk points through other means. should be fielding some decent offers for the pick given how the season is projecting.

So the AFL wont be doing anything about the rort?

Because clubs have planned to continue rorting the system and they need some time to adjust their rorting practices.

Geez AFL House runs a tight ship doesnt it. As long as you are a favourite all is just dandy.

Expect them to delay any changes to father son bids until 2026 as the Pies have McGuane's son coming through in 2025. And the Pies trade out all the time to acquire young guns with hunk picks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Club Focus Richmond 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back