News Richmond Media Articles - 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Richmond Tigers 2024: Tim Taranto on no regrets for moving clubs and hopes that premiership teammates stay at Punt Road​

Despite the Tigers lowly ladder position, Tim Taranto has no regrets about his move from GWS to Punt Road, and is hopeful his star teammates stay for the rebuild.

Richmond midfielder Tim Taranto has urged the senior Tigers considering their futures to stick with the club and transform it into a competitive force again as fast as possible.
A handful of the club’s premiership players are assessing their futures at Punt Rd beyond this year, including out-of-contract stars Dustin Martin and Liam Baker as well as Daniel Rioli, who is contracted but has attracted interest from Gold Coast.

This masthead reported this week that Shai Bolton plans to stick with the Tigers, despite significant interest from rival clubs.

“Absolutely, I’d love them all to stay,” Taranto said.

Tim Taranto and Dustin Martin. Picture: Michael Klein

Tim Taranto and Dustin Martin. Picture: Michael Klein

“Unfortunately, I don’t have any control over their decisions. But I will try my best to encourage them to stay at Richmond. It’s a tough process. I went through it a few years ago (when he left Greater Western Sydney for Richmond). I try to let them make their own decisions, but they are all very important players and hopefully we can keep them all.

“Time will tell, but I’ve got my fingers and toes crossed that they stay.”

Taranto joined Richmond at the end of 2022 on a long-term deal that runs through to the end of 2029. But despite the club’s struggles over the past few years, he told us this week he has no regrets about making the move.

“I made the right decision for me, there is no looking back,” Taranto said, reaffirming his commitment to helping the Tigers claw their way back again.

The Tigers fell to the bottom of the ladder on percentage after last week’s loss to Fremantle – putting them in the box seat for this year’s No. 1 draft selection. But being the competitive beast that he is on the field, Taranto said he would be doing everything in his power to get off the bottom and to add to their two wins in the coming weeks.

Tim Taranto has no regrets about his move from GWS to Richmond at the end of 2022. Picture: Robert Cianflone/Getty Images

Tim Taranto has no regrets about his move from GWS to Richmond at the end of 2022. Picture: Robert Cianflone/Getty Images

“We’ve got a lot of youth and we know they are going to get better,” he said.

“We have to try and lead the way on that. We need to keep chasing those wins.”

Taranto, 26, said it had been a privilege to play alongside Martin, one of the great footballers of the modern era. But he is unsure what the 33-year-old triple Norm Smith Medal-winner intends to do when his famous contract runs out at the end of this season.

“I have no idea what Dusty is going to do,” he said. “I don’t even know if he knows what he is going to do yet.”

“He will stay in the moment and enjoy it, and then make the decision when he has to.”

The Tigers will take on Taranto’s former side Greater Western Sydney on Sunday at the MCG, with the club dedicating its home fixture to the Alannah and Madeline Foundation, helping to support children to recover and heal from trauma.
Great leadership by Taranto to encourage the players to stay and help rebuild.

Indigenous Australians represent 3% of the population. Less of that is Male (1.5%). Therefore a base rate representation of 10% in the AFL is more than enough and therefore they are overrepresented on base rate probabilities. Richmond needs to stop playing the woke card and get back to drawing plans like Gale did in 2010.

I don't think you have the maths worked out right for a start. It is obvious that if indigenous people represent roughly 3% of the total population in this country, then indigenous males will represent roughly 3% of the total male population, which is where male footballers are drawn from.

Even beyond that, how do we know that if all males in Australia were given equal opportunity to play Australian Rules football, that indigenous males would not make up a higher or even much higher proportion than 10% of the players to make it to the highest level? Some prominent indigenous players have possessed skills just not seen from non-indigenous footballers. Stephen Michael, Maurice Rioli, Cyril Rioli, Eddie Betts, Shai Bolton are just a few I can think of. There are also plenty of uniquely great non-indigeous players, but these indigenous players I listed could all do things on a football field I have never seen any non-ingenous player be able to replicate.

Richmond FC seems to have made a plausible and specific observation about the situation and they would be in a good position to know, given they would have greater interaction with Indigenous people than any other club, via the Korin Gamadji Institute that operates out of club headquarters. Given they believe what they say is true, it would be very wrong not to mention it just to appease people who for some strange reason equate this with dogmatic left-wing idealogy.

Poor post from you imo, you are better than that.

OPINION​

Cheerleader or coach? Adem Yze has a decision to make​

Kane Cornes

Adem Yze appears to be more a cheerleader than an AFL senior coach.
With Richmond’s fall from powerhouse to last on the AFL ladder now complete after just two wins in 17 rounds, the honeymoon is over for the first-year coach. It’s clear Yze is desperate to be liked by his players and is afraid to publicly hold them accountable for unacceptable performances.

The first warning sign of Yze’s soft approach came after Richmond were annihilated by 91 points against the Western Bulldogs in round nine. After consecutive defeats of 43 points against Melbourne and 54 points to Fremantle, it would have been reasonable for Yze to criticise his players and send a message that meek performances would not be acceptable. Standards need to be set early in a new coaching regime.
Surprisingly, Yze appeared satisfied with his players’ efforts.

“I just spoke to our players about our effort, and I can’t fault our effort. The boys are trying. It’s like they are trying hard ... I’ve said this over and over that we can’t fault the effort; it’s just the execution and our tackle technique,” Yze said post-match.
This struck a concerning tone. Players could believe the coach was happy with their endeavours in a 91-point loss. It was not a shock that this disaster was followed by a season-high 119-point loss to the Brisbane Lions. At half-time, the score was 13 goals to two. The Richmond players had given up.

What did Yze expect after he had lowered the bar a week earlier? He had become a booster – and was slapped in the face for his cheerleading.
Yze’s approach contrasts sharply with that of successful coaches who don’t shy away from demanding the best from their players, even if it makes them unpopular.

The best coaches are respected, not necessarily liked, because they hold their teams to high standards. They push them to maximise their potential. Yze’s apparent fear of alienating his players seems to have created a lack of accountability. The result is Richmond’s dismal standing.
Former New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick won six Super Bowl trophies with a demanding and sometimes brutal coaching style. This approach is detailed by former players in the documentary Dynasty, which explores the highs and lows of the Patriots across a 20-year period. No matter what the score was, Belichick cared more about the things they were doing poorly than what they were doing well. He never let them get ahead of themselves.

“Most of the coaches in the NFL are coaching football, but he’s coaching warfare,” says former player Donte Stallworth. In a rare recorded team meeting, Belichick lived this theme.
“Now look,” he says, “I’m not saying we are in a war here, but I’m just telling you, understand how one stupid play, one stupid penalty, one mistake, ends it for us all.”

This ruthless style may not resonate with today’s more sensitive generation, but most successful AFL coaches have a hard edge. They are not looking to make friends with their players.
Geelong coach Chris Scott and Sydney’s John Longmire would not dare praise their players’ effort after a 91-point smashing.
Three-time premiership coach Damien Hardwick did not spare his Gold Coast players after the two-point loss to North Melbourne: “It’s my job as a coach to sit there and demand better because at the moment we’re capable of beating the premiership favourites last week and then this week we let ourselves down.”
Hardwick put it all on the table: “I’m angry, to be fair. As a footy club we’ve got to grow the f--- up to be perfectly honest.”

After a 51-point loss to Fremantle in the same round, Yze approach was the polar opposite: “I just spoke to the players around their effort, I couldn’t doubt their effort... We never turned our toes up, even the way we finished the game. I thought we were equal [for] inside 50s and time in the forward half, things like that. I thought we played the right way, even through [there’s] some frustration, but yeah their polish was just too good.”
This suggests the coach is too comfortable with mediocrity.

In another poor look, Yze celebrated a Shai Bolton goal in jubilation with his players on the bench. He is not a supporter. He is the coach and needs to act like one.
The Tigers’ next five seasons will be painful as they rebuild their list.

They need a coach who will drive them hard, hold them accountable, and refuse to accept anything less than their best. They need a coach, not a best friend.
Rebuilding coaches seldom last more than five seasons. Yze has no hope of bucking the trend unless he changes his approach.

AFL columnist

OPINION​

Kane Cornes

With Richmond’s fall from powerhouse to last on the AFL ladder now complete after just two wins in 17 rounds, the honeymoon is over for the first-year coach. It’s clear Yze is desperate to be liked by his players and is afraid to publicly hold them accountable for unacceptable performances.

The first warning sign of Yze’s soft approach came after Richmond were annihilated by 91 points against the Western Bulldogs in round nine. After consecutive defeats of 43 points against Melbourne and 54 points to Fremantle, it would have been reasonable for Yze to criticise his players and send a message that meek performances would not be acceptable. Standards need to be set early in a new coaching regime.

“I just spoke to our players about our effort, and I can’t fault our effort. The boys are trying. It’s like they are trying hard ... I’ve said this over and over that we can’t fault the effort; it’s just the execution and our tackle technique,” Yze said post-match.
This struck a concerning tone. Players could believe the coach was happy with their endeavours in a 91-point loss. It was not a shock that this disaster was followed by a season-high 119-point loss to the Brisbane Lions. At half-time, the score was 13 goals to two. The Richmond players had given up.

What did Yze expect after he had lowered the bar a week earlier? He had become a booster – and was slapped in the face for his cheerleading.
Yze’s approach contrasts sharply with that of successful coaches who don’t shy away from demanding the best from their players, even if it makes them unpopular.

The best coaches are respected, not necessarily liked, because they hold their teams to high standards. They push them to maximise their potential. Yze’s apparent fear of alienating his players seems to have created a lack of accountability. The result is Richmond’s dismal standing.
Former New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick won six Super Bowl trophies with a demanding and sometimes brutal coaching style. This approach is detailed by former players in the documentary Dynasty, which explores the highs and lows of the Patriots across a 20-year period. No matter what the score was, Belichick cared more about the things they were doing poorly than what they were doing well. He never let them get ahead of themselves.

“Most of the coaches in the NFL are coaching football, but he’s coaching warfare,” says former player Donte Stallworth. In a rare recorded team meeting, Belichick lived this theme.
“Now look,” he says, “I’m not saying we are in a war here, but I’m just telling you, understand how one stupid play, one stupid penalty, one mistake, ends it for us all.”

This ruthless style may not resonate with today’s more sensitive generation, but most successful AFL coaches have a hard edge. They are not looking to make friends with their players.
Geelong coach Chris Scott and Sydney’s John Longmire would not dare praise their players’ effort after a 91-point smashing.
Three-time premiership coach Damien Hardwick did not spare his Gold Coast players after the two-point loss to North Melbourne: “It’s my job as a coach to sit there and demand better because at the moment we’re capable of beating the premiership favourites last week and then this week we let ourselves down.”
Hardwick put it all on the table: “I’m angry, to be fair. As a footy club we’ve got to grow the f--- up to be perfectly honest.”

After a 51-point loss to Fremantle in the same round, Yze approach was the polar opposite: “I just spoke to the players around their effort, I couldn’t doubt their effort... We never turned our toes up, even the way we finished the game. I thought we were equal [for] inside 50s and time in the forward half, things like that. I thought we played the right way, even through [there’s] some frustration, but yeah their polish was just too good.”

In another poor look, Yze celebrated a Shai Bolton goal in jubilation with his players on the bench. He is not a supporter. He is the coach and needs to act like one.

They need a coach who will drive them hard, hold them accountable, and refuse to accept anything less than their best. They need a coach, not a best friend.
Rebuilding coaches seldom last more than five seasons. Yze has no hope of bucking the trend unless he changes his approach.

AFL columnist

An attention seeking article about nothing. If Richmond achieved the same results under Yze with Yze making public statements that he wasn't happy with the effort, Cornes would say there is a division between the coach and players and you can't be a successful coach doing that.

As for what Chris Scott or Longmire would have said after massive thumpings, how about go back and dig up what they actually did say.

Just a completely pointless article, from an even more pointless person.

I don't think you have the maths worked out right for a start. It is obvious that if indigenous people represent roughly 3% of the total population in this country, then indigenous males will represent roughly 3% of the total male population, which is where male footballers are drawn from.

Even beyond that, how do we know that if all males in Australia were given equal opportunity to play Australian Rules football, that indigenous males would not make up a higher or even much higher proportion than 10% of the players to make it to the highest level? Some prominent indigenous players have possessed skills just not seen from non-indigenous footballers. Stephen Michael, Maurice Rioli, Cyril Rioli, Eddie Betts, Shai Bolton are just a few I can think of. There are also plenty of uniquely great non-indigeous players, but these indigenous players I listed could all do things on a football field I have never seen any non-ingenous player be able to replicate.

Richmond FC seems to have made a plausible and specific observation about the situation and they would be in a good position to know, given they would have greater interaction with Indigenous people than any other club, via the Korin Gamadji Institute that operates out of club headquarters. Given they believe what they say is true, it would be very wrong not to mention it just to appease people who for some strange reason equate this with dogmatic left-wing idealogy.

Poor post from you imo, you are better than that.
To add to the logic criticism. There percentage of AFL footballers who come from a private school in Melbourne is likely a much higher % than out of the total population of Australia. People of that demographic are more likely to play AFL, so have greater representation

Kane Cornes can't be taken seriously in any of his criticisms, especially ones related to coaches. He continually bends over backwards to defend his mate Ken and has shown countless times when it comes to Ken and his former club he can't be objective.

His double standards and hypocrisy means his opinion is worth diddly squat. But that is just my opinion of course.

Last edited:
Kane Cornes can't be taken seriously in any of his criticisms, especially ones related to coaches. He continually bends over backwards to defend his mate Kane and has shown countless times when it comes to Ken and his former club he can't be objective.

His double standards and hypocrisy means his opinion is worth diddly squat. But that is just my opinion of course.

You are wrong there. It is fact. :)

IF ...
someone in a leadership position at this club would finally wake up and realise there is a slow car crash unfolding ...

THEN ...
at least some proper plans for 2025 could be formulated. From the highest of highs to a self-created ugly mess. New coach Adem Yze is clearly struggling, and desperately needs help from people who are invested in the future

Another piece of sludge from Barrett

So far this season Richmond are leading the field for total games lost for the season so far, 115.
Carlton is next with 104.
Gold Coast the lowest with 43.

But Richmond still have 17 on the list as per today, 9 of them effectively for the season.
Carlton has 3 for the season. Collingwood for all their injury woes has also 3. They have lost 77 in total.

With 7 weeks left, Richmond is going to smash WC last seasons record of 135.

I wonder if Kane Cornes is aware of this, or even a bit aware.

IF ...
someone in a leadership position at this club would finally wake up and realise there is a slow car crash unfolding ...

THEN ...
at least some proper plans for 2025 could be formulated. From the highest of highs to a self-created ugly mess. New coach Adem Yze is clearly struggling, and desperately needs help from people who are invested in the future

How's it sludge? Completely accurate.

When he didn't give us our flowers during our successes, he was a sludge, but fair call here from him.

How's it sludge? Completely accurate.

When he didn't give us our flowers during our successes, he was a sludge, but fair call here from him.

It is pure sludge because Barrett would not have one single clue about Richmond's planning for 2025.

And his "slow car crash unfolding" has only come about for one specific reason, probably mainly outside of the club's control. Equivalent of half our best 22 has been missing throughout much of 2024. The football department is clearly looking to the future and will almost certainly be focussing every bit of planning towards continuing to lose this year and winning thereafter.

He has also not accounted for the massive and totally unwarranted and unfair free kick/goals from free kicks/50m penalty disparity the club has been burdened with that makes the teams performance look even worse than it is. If he was any sort of a journalist worth listening to, he would pick up that latter issue, do some easy research and start asking wtf is going on here. But he isn't, so we get this braindead shit.

Barrett lmao. The coward is taking his only opportunity to get stuck into us.

We are allowed to be shit for a year when we've had just one top ten pick in the last decade. We will be back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OPINION​

Kane Cornes

AFL columnist
fair enough.

Yze needs to clarify how he his quantifying "effort". Talk about the running stats if indeed that is how selection is being justified.

IF ...

THEN ...

He reckons Gale shouldn't be there & doesn't like Yze post game pressers.. fair enough.

2 year injury crisis; new coach but a 22 that looks like Mini's; untidy CEO transition; grandstand cost issues & 18th on the ladder; nothing from O'Rourke to calm the farm.

Compares a rookie coach in his first year to one of the most successful NFL coaches of all time...
Ok how about comparing the two coaches in both their first year as head coach?!?

Cleveland Browns​

In 1991, Belichick was hired by the Cleveland Browns as their head coach. The Browns were coming off a 3-13 season, worst in franchise history. In Belichick’s first season as coach, the team improved to 6-10. The Browns continued to improve throughout his tenure, peaking at 11-5 in 1994 with their first playoff victory since 1989. During the 1995 season, the Browns owner Art Modell announced the team would be moving to Baltimore. That year, the team stumbled to a 5-11 finish and Belichick was fired at the conclusion of the season.

OPINION​

Kane Cornes

AFL columnist
Refused to even read it once I saw the author.
No interest in anything he has to say, particularly about Richmond.
He is the worst of modern "journalism", purely writing and saying things that he knows will play to the masses one way or another.

IF ...

THEN ...

Again, this tool isn't much better than Cornes

Last edited:
To add to the logic criticism. There percentage of AFL footballers who come from a private school in Melbourne is likely a much higher % than out of the total population of Australia. People of that demographic are more likely to play AFL, so have greater representation
It is misleading as country kids who are promising are offered scholarships to private schools (FOS), and board there. As well as city kids. The private school comp is an arms race

RICHMOND

Liam Baker (mid-forward), Shai Bolton (mid-forward)
Baker and Bolton fill out what is a shallow pool for the mid-forwards this year.
Toby Nankervis missed the cut but has had a good season, while Tim Taranto and Daniel Rioli are among other decent performers.

I had actually forgotten Trent Cotchin took on some kind of leadership mentor role at Brisbane. Just wondering if he has received any public kudos from any media outlets? Personally I haven’t seen any, still a criminally underrated leader despite his success!

News Richmond Media Articles - 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back