Mega Thread Richmond vs Carlton - Matchday Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Richmond vs Carlton - Team Discussion Page 10

Who should be dropped for Tuck to get a game? Please don't say the usual suspects like Nahas or Edwards because they don't play the role Tuck would play. For Tuck to play he pretty much has to take the spot of Cotchin Martin Foley or Jackson. Of those Jackson is the vulnerable one and after last weeks effort would want to extract the digit in the next couple of weeks especially if Tuck keeps performing, as eventually weight of performance should see him be rewarded with another shot.
Would have thought Hislop. Hislop has done enough to keep his spot but I reckon Tuck should have come in before him. As well as giving us a bit in the middle Tuck could also have been playing as a medium half -forward at other times. Obviously Tucky isn't part of the plan so I can move on, but with Taylor awol and Morton having whatever issues he's had, we have really missed a mid sized half forward this year. Martin has done it as a resting forward but otherwise we have tried the likes of Hislop and even White at times as a half forward. I think our forward line is coming into place, but that medium half forward is still a missing piece of the puzzle.

Who should be dropped for Tuck to get a game? Please don't say the usual suspects like Nahas or Edwards because they don't play the role Tuck would play. For Tuck to play he pretty much has to take the spot of Cotchin Martin Foley or Jackson. Of those Jackson is the vulnerable one and after last weeks effort would want to extract the digit in the next couple of weeks especially if Tuck keeps performing, as eventually weight of performance should see him be rewarded with another shot.

why not nahas or edwards.
catchin or foley or martin can play outside

I hope Griffiths isn't affected by that knock he got last week from the VFL. Isn't Griff losing hair too alongside Browne? Or is it just Browne?

Astbury

Final NAB challenge game (full squad) 6 possessions, horrific game....plays rd 1
Round 1... 12 possessions, poor game...........plays rd 2
Round 2... 5 possessions, very poor game....plays rd 3
Round 3... 6 possessions, horrific game........plays rd 4
Round 4... 3 possessions, worst game in club history....dropped

Gourdis

No pre-seassion games, 1st game of year at any AFL level 16 possessions...dropped

did someone say "different rules for certain players", outstanding development Softwick

Would have thought Hislop. Hislop has done enough to keep his spot but I reckon Tuck should have come in before him. As well as giving us a bit in the middle Tuck could also have been playing as a medium half -forward at other times. Obviously Tucky isn't part of the plan so I can move on, but with Taylor awol and Morton having whatever issues he's had, we have really missed a mid sized half forward this year. Martin has done it as a resting forward but otherwise we have tried the likes of Hislop and even White at times as a half forward. I think our forward line is coming into place, but that medium half forward is still a missing piece of the puzzle.
Possible, but again Hislop doesn't play the role that Tuck plays. Hislop plays the White defensive forward role.

If you went back and had a look at changes made each week its been pretty much been a case of like for like and given Tuck plays as an inside mid the only players he can really replace are the ones I mentioned.
why not nahas or edwards.
catchin or foley or martin can play outside
Because Nahas is primarily a small forward who adds defensive pressure, while Edwards seems to play as a run with midfielder. I don't think people want to see Foley Cotchin or Martin playing as a tagger of sorts and we would lose too much having them sitting in our forward line for the majority of the game like Nahas does.

Astbury

Final NAB challenge game (full squad) 6 possessions, horrific game....plays rd 1
Round 1... 12 possessions, poor game...........plays rd 2
Round 2... 5 possessions, very poor game....plays rd 3
Round 3... 6 possessions, horrific game........plays rd 4
Round 4... 3 possessions, worst game in club history....dropped

Gourdis

No pre-seassion games, 1st game of year at any AFL level 16 possessions...dropped

did someone say "different rules for certain players", outstanding development Softwick
Very telling stats. You can add that last week Dave had 16 possies, 10 contested and probably only 1 goal kicked on him by his direct opponent. I'm pissed off as well.

BTW all, Griff, if he plays, will play forward. Don't believe the BS coming from the club. On a side note: When he was 'warming up' before the game against Werribee he kicked a snap around his body from outside 50 that went through the sticks half way up the goalposts. He will be a decisive weapon when he hits form.

Possible, but again Hislop doesn't play the role that Tuck plays. Hislop plays the White defensive forward role.

If you went back and had a look at changes made each week its been pretty much been a case of like for like and given Tuck plays as an inside mid the only players he can really replace are the ones I mentioned.

Because Nahas is primarily a small forward who adds defensive pressure, while Edwards seems to play as a run with midfielder. I don't think people want to see Foley Cotchin or Martin playing as a tagger of sorts and we would lose too much having them sitting in our forward line for the majority of the game like Nahas does.
Been saying this since the start of the year and are now
unsure why there is such debate about Tuck , it has been clearly obvious since Dimma arrived that with the exception of KPP's , players are required to have the flexibility to play a number of roles .
Tuck just doesn't have that flexibility , very good inside midfielder but when not in the midfield has not enough impact forward , and isn't quick enough or good enough by foot to play in defense as a defensive or rebounding defender !
It's also a very good indicator why when he has played this season so much as a sub , when not on the pine he has to be in the midfield and no-one can get through a game within the midfield , for the percentage if game time he needs to without severly effecting rotations !

Re: Richmond vs Carlton - Team Discussion

Hey Captain, Cathal Brugha posted somewhere that he went to the Coburg game on the weekend and was adamant that Griff played 100% forward line before being concussed, despite what the match report said.

Thanks buddy. Happy with the in's. I have to work this week end, so i look forward to logging on to BF at about 7.30pm Saturday night to see how the game unfolded.

Re: Richmond vs Carlton - Team Discussion

Just as well you're not on the match committee then;).

The reason i say Griff to Kruzer is height wise and athletically wise, he can match him. Kruzer is yet to hit his straps as well coming off an LTI. I still think we are in for a caning, Blues were embarrassed last week, we were embarrassing last week.
It is simply where the two teams are at (IMO).

yeah and "hit straps" time is about to land. How many times have we played players into form dude? As i said, Griff & Post in will end up with Kruezer grabbing a bag and 3 votes, unless one of the two pulls one out of their arse.
I mean here you are suggesting Kruezer is yet to hit his straps, when only two weeks ago he was dominant in the ruck and in the F50. Then after you suggest he aint ready, you suggest Griff, who has played 3 minutes of Coburg footy, is suited height and athletically wise, but of course he has hit his straps..yeah? Get real dude, its a hit and hope for Dimma in this game. Lets hope a rabbit gets pulled out of a hat, because it could get very very ugly tomorrow. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Disappointed that Gourdis was dropped, should have been given at least another week :(

I will believe Griff is in when I see him on the ground:rolleyes:

Same here. It seems hard to believe after being concussed and not getting valuable game time. Might be ducks and drakes with the Tankers.

I have liked Millers contribution, but im hanging to see Griff in.

I don't agree with those saying Gourdis is unlucky. For someone playing for his career he certainly lacked intensity. Have a look at the pi** poor attempt of a shepherd in the last qtr. Both he and Mcguane had shockers last week. It is a good side for the future this week but reckon we could get a bit of a touch up.

neither do I.

He's had a few years and his share of chances.

I paid particular attention to him at the Dees game (mainly due to how highly people on here seem to rate him), and he was insipid. I'm not fussed on how many possessions he got, he needed to have a real crack and show a bit of urgency, and he just didn't.

He's not a footballer, the sooner people come around to that the better. His sheer athletic ability will allow him to put in good game after good game at VFL level, but he's not up to AFL standard. There's probably a reason he's been on our list so long and played so few games

Thursfield > Goo every day of the week for mine

I want to see him start and not as a sub..

Can't believe they would use a tall such as Griffiths as a sub.
With all of the talk of looking to 'stretch' Carlton's defense it would make little sense to sit a tall marking forward on the pine until after half time and then perhaps switch him for another tall.

Manage their minutes from the bench and if Griff really does run out of gas after half-time, then sub him off if needed... but only if needed.

Helbig will be sub I reckon...

Can't believe they would use a tall such as Griffiths as a sub.
With all of the talk of looking to 'stretch' Carlton's defense it would make little sense to sit a tall marking forward on the pine until after half time and then perhaps switch him for another tall.

Manage their minutes from the bench and if Griff really does run out of gas after half-time, then sub him off if needed... but only if needed.

Helbig will be sub I reckon...

I agree. Helbig to sub. If Griff starts forward, i would expect him and T-Bag Vickery to play deep with Jack at CHF.

PMSL... Post after post after post you sook and moan at how bad our team is, and question how players get games and how they should be sacked at the years end, now we have made some changes and you are again whining that they dont deserve a game. Any chance you can be a little consistent and make up your mind:confused:

not having a go at players at all. if you took the time to read carefully you would see im having a go at posters and hardwicks inconsistency.

theres been plenty on these boards in defending hardwick insisting that players perform at coburg before they get a game saying its better to keep underperforming players in the team rather than give some kids games even if they havent knocked the door down.
im asking those posters what the hell is going on now, 4 of the ins has not had to do a thing at coburg and yet they get a game and not a squeak out of those posters who insist players must perfrom at coburg first.

if you had just a peek at what is written you would see i said im happy to see those players get a go. the only thing im unhappy with is gourdis getting dropped after just one lousy game.
what hardwick has done is in fact what ive prattled on about with selections. that is just in case you didnt get it or have trouble comprehending, drop underperformers like mcguane miller jackson etc and give others a game even if they havent banged on the door.better to give a kid a game if for no other reason than experience than persevere with known duds. trouble is posters like you think they can all play and never want to see a change.

no my posts were not a shot at players but a shot at posters who want their cake and eat it too.

where are those posters demanding players perform at coburg before they get a game the silence is deafening.

I am suprised noone has suggested what I am thinking.

These changes scream out, "We concede finals are no longer on the radar and will now focus on our development."

I said since January that this would happen. They would play our best side regardless of age etc until the season was shot.

Regarding Goo and Posty, it is poor managment of young bokes to play 1 game and then be dumped unless there is a clearly better player returning the following week and I dont think this has ben the case with either of them.

Carlton will be very short down back and I have no issue with Griff coming in and probably playing deep fwd. I wouldnt be suprised if this move is to try and entice Ratts to play Waite down back as we often get torn a new one by him when fwd.

I am suprised noone has suggested what I am thinking.

These changes scream out, "We concede finals are no longer on the radar and will now focus on our development."

To me its the complete opposite, why else would they drop an out of touch McGuane for an experienced yet fringe player who probably wont be with us next year. Along with King, a good sub in Helbig, and two young key big men to exploit the Tankers defense and with Waite coming back in, it smacks of ... we are still a chance for finals.

Disappointed that Gourdis was dropped, should have been given at least another week :(

I wouldnt be. Thats exactly what happened to Post after his first game this year and even the second time I think. They are being made to earn their spots on merit....time for Gourdis to bounce back like Post has. The one who is getting a real wake up call is McGuane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back